    Can a novice do it?

    thanks, Ed

  2. Re: How to Install Apache on Ubuntu 8?

    On 2008-04-27, Ed in Calif wrote:

    > I tried 'apt-get install apache' but it does not work.

    Right, it does snot work for you. How far do you get? What parts do not
    work, what does work, if any?

    Just saying it does not work is not all that useful. ;-

  3. Re: How to Install Apache on Ubuntu 8?

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 19:07:44 -0700, Ed in Calif wrote:

    > I tried 'apt-get install apache' but it does not work.
    >
    > Do you need to compile it? I downloaded it but don't see how to install
    > it.
    >
    > Is there a good site that tells how to do it?
    >
    > Can a novice do it?
    >
    > thanks, Ed

    Instead, try synaptic and search for 'apache' - it probably has a slightly
    different name.

  4. Re: How to Install Apache on Ubuntu 8?

    On 2008-04-27, ray wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 19:07:44 -0700, Ed in Calif wrote:
    >> I tried 'apt-get install apache' but it does not work.
    >> Do you need to compile it? I downloaded it but don't see how to install
    >> it.
    >> Is there a good site that tells how to do it?
    >> Can a novice do it?

    > Instead, try synaptic and search for 'apache' - it probably has a slightly
    > different name.

    Or better:

    andrew@skamandros:~$ apt-cache search apache2 | grep web | grep server
    apache2 - Next generation, scalable, extendable web server
    apache2-utils - utility programs for webservers
    apache2.2-common - Next generation, scalable, extendable web server
    libapache2-mod-perl2 - Integration of perl with the Apache2 web server
    libapache2-mod-perl2-dev - Integration of perl with the Apache2 web server
    - development files
    libapache2-mod-perl2-doc - Integration of perl with the Apache2 web server
    - documentation
    libapache2-mod-bt - BitTorrent tracker for the Apache2 web server
    libapache2-mod-ruby - Embedding Ruby in the Apache2 web server
    libapache2-mod-xmlrpc2 - XMLRPC Server module for Apache2 web server

    Andrew
    --
    http://www.andrews-corner.org

  5. Re: How to Install Apache on Ubuntu 8?

    On 2008-04-27, Ed in Calif wrote:

    > I tried 'apt-get install apache' but it does not work.
    >
    > Do you need to compile it? I downloaded it but don't see how to install it.
    >
    > Is there a good site that tells how to do it?
    >
    > Can a novice do it?
    >
    > thanks, Ed

    it is called apache2, you almost got it right.

    aptitude install apache2

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  6. Re: How to Install Apache on Ubuntu 8?

    On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 02:36:44 +0000, andrew wrote:

    > On 2008-04-27, ray wrote:
    >> On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 19:07:44 -0700, Ed in Calif wrote:
    >>> I tried 'apt-get install apache' but it does not work. Do you need to
    >>> compile it? I downloaded it but don't see how to install it.
    >>> Is there a good site that tells how to do it? Can a novice do it?

    >> Instead, try synaptic and search for 'apache' - it probably has a
    >> slightly different name.

    > Or better:
    >
    > andrew@skamandros:~$ apt-cache search apache2 | grep web | grep server
    > apache2 - Next generation, scalable, extendable web server apache2-utils
    > - utility programs for webservers apache2.2-common - Next generation,
    > scalable, extendable web server libapache2-mod-perl2 - Integration of
    > perl with the Apache2 web server libapache2-mod-perl2-dev - Integration
    > of perl with the Apache2 web server
    > - development files
    > libapache2-mod-perl2-doc - Integration of perl with the Apache2 web
    > server
    > - documentation
    > libapache2-mod-bt - BitTorrent tracker for the Apache2 web server
    > libapache2-mod-ruby - Embedding Ruby in the Apache2 web server
    > libapache2-mod-xmlrpc2 - XMLRPC Server module for Apache2 web server
    >
    > Andrew

    That's 'better'?

  7. Re: How to Install Apache on Ubuntu 8?

    I got it to install using this: 'sudo apt-get install apache2'.

    I can see the default index.html at http://192.168.1.102 on my network.

    But I don't have a /etc/httpd directory like my book says I should.
    Where are all the config files and the files I need to edit to make my page.

    I think I need a better book.

    thanks, Ed

    ----------------------------

    ed@ed-desktop:/etc$ apt-get install apache
    E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you
    root?
    ed@ed-desktop:/etc$ sudo apt-get install apache
    [sudo] password for ed:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Package apache is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    is only available from another source
    E: Package apache has no installation candidate

    ed@ed-desktop:/etc$ sudo apt-get install apache2
    [sudo] password for ed:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    apache2-mpm-worker apache2-utils apache2.2-common
    Suggested packages:
    apache2-doc
    apache2 apache2-mpm-worker apache2-utils apache2.2-common
    0 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 0 to remove and 506 not upgraded.
    Need to get 1169kB of archives.
    After this operation, 4436kB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/main apache2-utils 2.2.8-1 [139kB]
    Get:2 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/main apache2.2-common 2.2.8-1
    [753kB]
    Get:3 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/main apache2-mpm-worker 2.2.8-1
    [233kB]
    Get:4 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/main apache2 2.2.8-1 [44.0kB]
    Fetched 1169kB in 6s (192kB/s)
    Selecting previously deselected package apache2-utils.
    (Reading database ... 102951 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking apache2-utils (from .../apache2-utils_2.2.8-1_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously deselected package apache2.2-common.
    Unpacking apache2.2-common (from .../apache2.2-common_2.2.8-1_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously deselected package apache2-mpm-worker.
    Unpacking apache2-mpm-worker (from .../apache2-mpm-worker_2.2.8-1_i386.deb)
    Selecting previously deselected package apache2.
    Unpacking apache2 (from .../apache2_2.2.8-1_all.deb) ...
    Setting up apache2-utils (2.2.8-1) ...
    Setting up apache2.2-common (2.2.8-1) ...
    Module alias installed; run /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload to enable.
    Module autoindex installed; run /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload to enable.
    Module dir installed; run /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload to enable.
    Module env installed; run /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload to enable.
    Module mime installed; run /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload to enable.
    Module negotiation installed; run /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload to
    enable.
    Module setenvif installed; run /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload to enable.
    Module status installed; run /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload to enable.
    Module auth_basic installed; run /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload to enable.
    Module authz_default installed; run /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload to
    enable.
    Module authz_user installed; run /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload to enable.
    Module authz_groupfile installed; run /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload to
    enable.
    Module authn_file installed; run /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload to enable.
    Module authz_host installed; run /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload to enable.

    Setting up apache2-mpm-worker (2.2.8-1) ...
    * Starting web server apache2
    apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain
    name, using 127.0.1.1 for ServerName
    [
    OK ]

    Setting up apache2 (2.2.8-1) ...
    ed@ed-desktop:/etc$
    "Ed in Calif" wrote in message

    > I tried 'apt-get install apache' but it does not work.
    >
    > Do you need to compile it? I downloaded it but don't see how to install
    > it.
    >
    > Is there a good site that tells how to do it?
    > Can a novice do it?
    >
    > thanks, Ed

  8. Re: How to Install Apache on Ubuntu 8?

    Ed in Calif wrote:

    > I got it to install using this: 'sudo apt-get install apache2'.
    >
    > I can see the default index.html at http://192.168.1.102 on my network.
    >
    > But I don't have a /etc/httpd directory like my book says I should.

    you could look at /etc/apache2/httpd.conf, but mine's empty and I don't need
    it. Content is more interesting; see below.

    > Where are all the config files and the files I need to edit to make my
    > page.

    You could start by editing /var/www/index.html and put new stuff
    into /var/www/

    > I think I need a better book.

    A book? Well, everything is online.

    de Kameel

> [...]
    > enable. Module authz_groupfile installed; run /etc/init.d/apache2
    > force-reload to enable.
    > Module authn_file installed; run /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload to
    > enable. Module authz_host installed; run /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload
    > to enable.
    >
    > Setting up apache2-mpm-worker (2.2.8-1) ...
    > * Starting web server apache2
    > apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain
    > name, using 127.0.1.1 for ServerName
    > [
    > OK ]
    >
    > Setting up apache2 (2.2.8-1) ...
    > ed@ed-desktop:/etc$
    > "Ed in Calif" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I tried 'apt-get install apache' but it does not work.
    >>
    >> Do you need to compile it? I downloaded it but don't see how to install
    >> it.
    >>
    >> Is there a good site that tells how to do it?

  9. Re: How to Install Apache on Ubuntu 8?

    Op Sat, 26 Apr 2008 19:07:44 -0700, schreef Ed in Calif:

    > I tried 'apt-get install apache' but it does not work.
    >
    > Do you need to compile it? I downloaded it but don't see how to install
    > it.
    >
    > Is there a good site that tells how to do it?
    >
    > Can a novice do it?
    >
    > thanks, Ed

    sudo tasksel and there make you're pick :-)

    --
    /Jos

    Linux op mijn desktop - http://www.digiplace.nl

  10. Re: How to Install Apache on Ubuntu 8?

    On 2008-04-27, de Kameel wrote:
    > Ed in Calif wrote:
    >
    >> I got it to install using this: 'sudo apt-get install apache2'.
    >>
    >> I can see the default index.html at http://192.168.1.102 on my network.
    >>
    >> But I don't have a /etc/httpd directory like my book says I should.

    > you could look at /etc/apache2/httpd.conf, but mine's empty and I don't need
    > it. Content is more interesting; see below.

    it is in /etc/apache2 and your friends are a2ensite and a2dissite
    (read man pages).

    >> Where are all the config files and the files I need to edit to make my
    >> page.

    > You could start by editing /var/www/index.html and put new stuff
    > into /var/www/
    >
    >> I think I need a better book.

    > A book? Well, everything is online.

    I would read about apache and debian, on locations of files to
    configure the server, and keep the book for more general stuff.

  11. Re: How to Install Apache on Ubuntu 8?

    Ed in Calif wrote:
> [...]
    > Module authz_groupfile installed; run /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload
    > to enable.
    > Module authn_file installed; run /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload to
    > enable.
    > Module authz_host installed; run /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload to
    > enable.
    >
    > Setting up apache2-mpm-worker (2.2.8-1) ...
    > * Starting web server apache2
    > apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified
    > domain name, using 127.0.1.1 for ServerName
    >
    > [ OK ]
    >
    > Setting up apache2 (2.2.8-1) ...
    > ed@ed-desktop:/etc$
    > "Ed in Calif" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I tried 'apt-get install apache' but it does not work.
    >>
    >> Do you need to compile it? I downloaded it but don't see how to
    >> install it.
    >>
    >> Is there a good site that tells how to do it?

    Sounds like your book is geared towards redhat / fedora linux as it's
    configuration files reside in that directory. On ubuntu / debian you
    will find the config files in /etc/apache2. Just one of the many
    differences between distros

  12. Any good wysiwyg editor for web pages?

    Thanks to everyone I have my web server working.

    Now I need a good web page builder. I installed BlueFish
    but it looks like just an enhanced text editor.

    Is there a better, free, page editor to use?

    thanks, Ed

    "de Kameel" wrote in message
> [...]

    >> enable. Module authz_groupfile installed; run /etc/init.d/apache2
    >> force-reload to enable.
    >> Module authn_file installed; run /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload to
    >> enable. Module authz_host installed; run /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload
    >> to enable.
    >>
    >> Setting up apache2-mpm-worker (2.2.8-1) ...
    >> * Starting web server apache2
    >> apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain
    >> name, using 127.0.1.1 for ServerName
    >>
    >> [
    >> OK ]
    >>
    >> Setting up apache2 (2.2.8-1) ...
    >> ed@ed-desktop:/etc$
    >> "Ed in Calif" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I tried 'apt-get install apache' but it does not work.
    >>>
    >>> Do you need to compile it? I downloaded it but don't see how to install
    >>> it.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a good site that tells how to do it?

  13. Re: Any good wysiwyg editor for web pages?

    On 2008-04-28, Ed in Calif wrote:
    > Thanks to everyone I have my web server working.
    >
    > Now I need a good web page builder. I installed BlueFish
    > but it looks like just an enhanced text editor.
    >
    > Is there a better, free, page editor to use?

    I think that you are going in a wrong direction. I would check out a
    text editor wqith a good HTML mode instead. Just my opinion.

> [...]

    >>> Module setenvif installed; run /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload to
    >>> enable.
    >>> Module status installed; run /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload to enable.
    >>> Module auth_basic installed; run /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload to
    >>> enable. Module authz_default installed; run /etc/init.d/apache2
    >>> force-reload to enable.
    >>> Module authz_user installed; run /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload to
    >>> enable. Module authz_groupfile installed; run /etc/init.d/apache2
    >>> force-reload to enable.
    >>> Module authn_file installed; run /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload to
    >>> enable. Module authz_host installed; run /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload
    >>> to enable.
    >>>
    >>> Setting up apache2-mpm-worker (2.2.8-1) ...
    >>> * Starting web server apache2
    >>> apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  14. Re: Any good wysiwyg editor for web pages?

    "Ignoramus30765" wrote in message
    news:O7qdnRCAtcRUtIjVnZ2dnUVZ_tXinZ2d@giganews.com ...
    > On 2008-04-28, Ed in Calif wrote:
    >> Thanks to everyone I have my web server working.
    >>
    >> Now I need a good web page builder. I installed BlueFish
    >> but it looks like just an enhanced text editor.
    >>
    >> Is there a better, free, page editor to use?

    > I think that you are going in a wrong direction. I would check out a
    > text editor wqith a good HTML mode instead. Just my opinion.

    He didn't ask for your asinine opinion

  15. Re: Any good wysiwyg editor for web pages?

    Ed in Calif wrote:

    > Now I need a good web page builder. I installed BlueFish
    > but it looks like just an enhanced text editor.
    >
    > Is there a better, free, page editor to use?

    Perhaps this article will help:
    http://www.linux.com/feature/130601

    I like Bluefish, but then I am not in need of WYSIWYG help, preferring
    to code by hand.

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista

  16. Re: Any good wysiwyg editor for web pages?

    Ed in Calif illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Thanks to everyone I have my web server working.
    >
    > Now I need a good web page builder. I installed BlueFish
    > but it looks like just an enhanced text editor.
    >
    > Is there a better, free, page editor to use?
    >
    > thanks, Ed

    $ sudo apt-get install kompozer

    I quite like kompozer as it does offer both wysiwyg (ish) editing and
    also html coding.

    Could be what you're looking for.

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  17. Re: Any good wysiwyg editor for web pages?

    Works great! Just what I needed.

    thanks, Ed

    "Moog" wrote in message
    > Ed in Calif illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Thanks to everyone I have my web server working.
    >>
    >> Now I need a good web page builder. I installed BlueFish
    >> but it looks like just an enhanced text editor.
    >>
    >> Is there a better, free, page editor to use?
    >>
    >> thanks, Ed

    > $ sudo apt-get install kompozer
    >
    > I quite like kompozer as it does offer both wysiwyg (ish) editing and
    > also html coding.
    >
    > Could be what you're looking for.
    >
    > --
    > Moog
    >
    > "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    > pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  18. Re: Any good wysiwyg editor for web pages?

    Ed in Calif illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Works great! Just what I needed.
    >
    > thanks, Ed

    No problems Ed.

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

+ Reply to Thread