Checking download integrity - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Checking download integrity - Ubuntu ; I just downloaded 8.04. I know there is something I can do to check the integrity of the download, but I don't remember what it is. Can someone help me> I seem to recall something about checking the hash but ...

  1. Checking download integrity

    I just downloaded 8.04. I know there is something I can do to check the
    integrity of the download, but I don't remember what it is. Can someone
    help me> I seem to recall something about checking the hash but sonn't
    remember how. Thanks.

  2. Re: Checking download integrity

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 22:35:56 GMT, Adam Carruth wrote:
    > I just downloaded 8.04. I know there is something I can do to check the
    > integrity of the download, but I don't remember what it is. Can someone
    > help me> I seem to recall something about checking the hash but sonn't
    > remember how. Thanks.

    You need to start your admin diary. That way you do not forget a step
    and have the commands you need.

    I use md5sum -c md_sum_fn_here
    or sha1sum -c sha_sum_fn_nere

  3. Re: Checking download integrity

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > Adam Carruth wrote:
    >> I just downloaded 8.04. I know there is something I can do to check
    >> the integrity of the download, but I don't remember what it is. Can
    >> someone help me> I seem to recall something about checking the hash
    >> but sonn't remember how. Thanks.

    > You need to start your admin diary. That way you do not forget a step
    > and have the commands you need.
    >
    > I use md5sum -c md_sum_fn_here
    > or sha1sum -c sha_sum_fn_nere

    I know everyone who loves commands thinks that typing in the long name
    of an iso file is a lot of fun, but I think I would rather use a script
    so that I can point and click at the file, because I think long filename
    typing is prone to errors and confusion about dashes and dots and
    numerals.

    There is a bunch of scripts called Nscripts which contain a mkmd5 and a
    chkmd5 script for pointing and clicking along with some other scripts
    http://www.gnome-look.org/content/sh...?content=67655
    NScripts is a set of Nautilus Scripts.

    There is also a gui kde tool called kmd5
    http://www.lukemurphey.net/kmd5 KMD5 is a GUI application for computing
    MD5 checksums. It also supports exporting the results to a text file.

    Human beings using keyboard input to precisely recapitulate a
    significantly long filename which is sitting right there in a directory
    seems both inefficient and prone to error. And taking steps to copy the
    filename to paste into the command isn't as slick as clicking on it.

    --
    Mike Easter

  4. Re: Checking download integrity

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 17:37:06 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

    > I know everyone who loves commands thinks that typing in the long name
    > of an iso file is a lot of fun,

    Not me, I have no problem using xterm cut/paste.

    > but I think I would rather use a script so that I can point and
    > click at the file, because I think long filename typing is prone to
    > errors and confusion about dashes and dots and numerals.

    Me too,

    $ cat wg_kubuntu
    #!/bin/bash
    #************************************************* ***
    #*
    #* wg_kubuntu
    #*
    #************************************************* ***

    cd /local/spare

    _rel=8.04
    _distro=kubuntu
    _name=hardy
    _mirror=http://banner.uits.indiana.edu/$_distro/$_name
    _media=${_distro}-${_rel}-desktop-i386

    _cmd=wget
    # _cmd="axel -a"

    $_cmd $_mirror/MD5SUMS
    mv MD5SUMS ${_media}.md5sum

    $_cmd $_mirror/${_media}.iso

    md5sum -c ${_media}.md5sum
    #************** end wg_kubuntu **************************

  5. Re: Checking download integrity

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >> Adam Carruth wrote:
    >>> I just downloaded 8.04. I know there is something I can do to check
    >>> the integrity of the download, but I don't remember what it is. Can
    >>> someone help me> I seem to recall something about checking the hash
    >>> but sonn't remember how. Thanks.

    >> You need to start your admin diary. That way you do not forget a step
    >> and have the commands you need.
    >>
    >> I use md5sum -c md_sum_fn_here
    >> or sha1sum -c sha_sum_fn_nere

    > I know everyone who loves commands thinks that typing in the long name
    > of an iso file is a lot of fun, but I think I would rather use a script
    > so that I can point and click at the file, because I think long filename
    > typing is prone to errors and confusion about dashes and dots and
    > numerals.
    >
    > There is a bunch of scripts called Nscripts which contain a mkmd5 and a
    > chkmd5 script for pointing and clicking along with some other scripts
    > http://www.gnome-look.org/content/sh...?content=67655
    > NScripts is a set of Nautilus Scripts.
    >
    > There is also a gui kde tool called kmd5
    > http://www.lukemurphey.net/kmd5 KMD5 is a GUI application for computing
    > MD5 checksums. It also supports exporting the results to a text file.
    >
    > Human beings using keyboard input to precisely recapitulate a
    > significantly long filename which is sitting right there in a directory
    > seems both inefficient and prone to error.

    Never heard of tab completion?

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    How to get help at Microsoft Support ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C2SIZ5qsSQ

  6. Re: Checking download integrity

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > I know everyone who loves commands thinks that typing in the long name
    > of an iso file is a lot of fun, but I think I would rather use a script
    > so that I can point and click at the file, because I think long filename
    > typing is prone to errors and confusion about dashes and dots and
    > numerals.

    Why type in the whole file name? Example: for the ubuntu download, use
    md5sum ubu*

    Jim

  7. Re: Checking download integrity

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > > I use md5sum -c md_sum_fn_here
    > > or sha1sum -c sha_sum_fn_nere

    > I know everyone who loves commands thinks that typing in the long name
    > of an iso file is a lot of fun,

    Anyone who "loves commands" realizes you don't have to. That by
    default you can type the first couple letters and use the key
    to finish, or at the very least get a list of like files select
    from with a second iteration of .

    So much for your thinly veiled attempt to insult anyone who
    suggests doing something properly, in a terminal. :-p

+ Reply to Thread