Any audio player out there? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Any audio player out there? - Ubuntu ; I'm looking for a GNOME application that is able to simply playback any given audio file. At the moment the default application is none other than Rhythmbox, which may be a somewhat decent application to listen to our music collection ...

  1. Any audio player out there?

    I'm looking for a GNOME application that is able to simply playback any
    given audio file. At the moment the default application is none other
    than Rhythmbox, which may be a somewhat decent application to listen to
    our music collection but it trully sucks at playing any random audio file
    which is clicked on. I've browsed the repositories and unfortunately I
    haven't found anything that suits that particular task.

    So, any recomendation?

    Rui Maciel

  2. Re: Any audio player out there?

    Rui Maciel wrote:
    > I'm looking for a GNOME application that is able to simply playback any
    > given audio file. At the moment the default application is none other
    > than Rhythmbox, which may be a somewhat decent application to listen to
    > our music collection but it trully sucks at playing any random audio file
    > which is clicked on. I've browsed the repositories and unfortunately I
    > haven't found anything that suits that particular task.
    >
    > So, any recomendation?
    >

    > Rui Maciel

    Have you tried Amarok?

    Alias

  3. Re: Any audio player out there?

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 13:46:54 +0200, Alias wrote:

    > Rui Maciel wrote:
    >> I'm looking for a GNOME application that is able to simply playback any
    >> given audio file. At the moment the default application is none other
    >> than Rhythmbox, which may be a somewhat decent application to listen to
    >> our music collection but it trully sucks at playing any random audio
    >> file which is clicked on. I've browsed the repositories and
    >> unfortunately I haven't found anything that suits that particular task.
    >>
    >> So, any recomendation?
    >>

    >> Rui Maciel

    > Have you tried Amarok?

    Seconded. Although not a Gnome app, it works splendidly well in Gnome
    environs. Give it a whirl and you won't look back.

    --
    p BotM#1 LotR#9

  4. Re: Any audio player out there?

    Rui Maciel wrote:
    > I'm looking for a GNOME application that is able to simply playback any
    > given audio file.

    Totem is simple and works for anything I've thrown at it.

    > So, any recomendation?

    Banshee
    Exaile

    --Benjamin Franklin

  5. Re: Any audio player out there?

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 13:46:54 +0200, Alias wrote:

    > Have you tried Amarok?

    Yes and I do believe it is the absolute best media player out there.

    On the other hand, what I am looking for isn't a full blown media player
    with all sorts of catalogue organizers and support for all sorts of
    removable media. I was looking for a small, tiny, lightweight app which
    just plays any random audio file. To put it in other words, some sort of
    winamp minus the playlist shenanigans.

    Is there any GNOME application like that?

    Rui Maciel

  6. Re: Any audio player out there?

    Rui Maciel wrote:

    > I'm looking for a GNOME application that is able to simply playback any
    > given audio file. At the moment the default application is none other
    > than Rhythmbox, which may be a somewhat decent application to listen to
    > our music collection but it trully sucks at playing any random audio file
    > which is clicked on.

    Have a look at audacious (one of the XMMS successors).

    Florian

  7. Re: Any audio player out there?

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 21:55:43 +0000, Rui Maciel wrote:

    > just plays any random audio file. To put it in other words, some sort of
    > winamp minus the playlist shenanigans.
    >
    > Is there any GNOME application like that?

    man mplayer

    mplayer -shuffle

    --
    // This is my opinion.

  8. Re: Any audio player out there?

    Rui Maciel wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 13:46:54 +0200, Alias wrote:
    >
    >> Have you tried Amarok?

    > Yes and I do believe it is the absolute best media player out there.
    >
    > On the other hand, what I am looking for isn't a full blown media player
    > with all sorts of catalogue organizers and support for all sorts of
    > removable media. I was looking for a small, tiny, lightweight app which
    > just plays any random audio file. To put it in other words, some sort of
    > winamp minus the playlist shenanigans.
    >
    > Is there any GNOME application like that?
    >

    > Rui Maciel

    Audacious
    caver1

+ Reply to Thread