changing permissions - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on changing permissions - Ubuntu ; hello, I upgraded ubuntu to version 8.04, but I have trouble now accessing my files. All of the folders have "root" as owner now. When I try to change the permission (right click - properties - permissions) and change the ...

  1. changing permissions

    hello,

    I upgraded ubuntu to version 8.04, but I have trouble now accessing my
    files.
    All of the folders have "root" as owner now.

    When I try to change the permission (right click - properties -
    permissions) and change the owner from root to my-username", it
    changes the owner again to root.
    This also happens when I open nautilus in a terminal as root.

    What can I do to change the permissions again?

    regards,
    Oeps!?

  2. Re: changing permissions

    dogbert schreef:
    > hello,
    >
    > I upgraded ubuntu to version 8.04, but I have trouble now accessing my
    > files.
    > All of the folders have "root" as owner now.
    >
    > When I try to change the permission (right click - properties -
    > permissions) and change the owner from root to my-username", it changes
    > the owner again to root.
    > This also happens when I open nautilus in a terminal as root.
    >
    > What can I do to change the permissions again?
    >
    > regards,
    > Oeps!?

    You'll need to open a terminal and change the owner and group
    with the commands: chown & chgrp
    Don't forget to use sudo.
    The command will look something like this:
    cd ~
    sudo chown yourname * -R
    sudo chogrp yourname * -R

    These commmands make sure that all the files and (sub)directories
    in your home directory will have "yourname" as owner and group.

    for a full explenation on chown & chgrp you might take a look at the man pages.

    Herbert

  3. Re: changing permissions

    HerbY wrote:

    > dogbert schreef:
    > > hello,
    > >
    > > I upgraded ubuntu to version 8.04, but I have trouble now accessing my
    > > files.
    > > All of the folders have "root" as owner now.
    > >
    > > When I try to change the permission (right click - properties -
    > > permissions) and change the owner from root to my-username", it changes
    > > the owner again to root.
    > > This also happens when I open nautilus in a terminal as root.
    > >
    > > What can I do to change the permissions again?
    > >
    > > regards,
    > > Oeps!?

    > You'll need to open a terminal and change the owner and group
    > with the commands: chown & chgrp
    > Don't forget to use sudo.
    > The command will look something like this:
    > cd ~
    > sudo chown yourname * -R
    > sudo chogrp yourname * -R

    No need for two magical incantations, chown can do it all...

    sudo chown -hR : /home/

    The 'h' is to avoid changing ownership of the targets of any
    symlinks you may have in your $HOME. And specifying
    /home/ rather than moving to $HOME and working on * means
    that the $HOME itself will be modified as it should. Which could be
    the root cause of his problems to begin with.

  4. Re: changing permissions

    Anonymous Sender schreef:
    > HerbY wrote:
    >
    >> dogbert schreef:
    >>> hello,
    >>>
    >>> I upgraded ubuntu to version 8.04, but I have trouble now accessing my
    >>> files.
    >>> All of the folders have "root" as owner now.
    >>>
    >>> When I try to change the permission (right click - properties -
    >>> permissions) and change the owner from root to my-username", it changes
    >>> the owner again to root.
    >>> This also happens when I open nautilus in a terminal as root.
    >>>
    >>> What can I do to change the permissions again?
    >>>
    >>> regards,
    >>> Oeps!?

    >> You'll need to open a terminal and change the owner and group
    >> with the commands: chown & chgrp
    >> Don't forget to use sudo.
    >> The command will look something like this:
    >> cd ~
    >> sudo chown yourname * -R
    >> sudo chogrp yourname * -R

    > No need for two magical incantations, chown can do it all...
    >
    > sudo chown -hR : /home/
    >
    > The 'h' is to avoid changing ownership of the targets of any
    > symlinks you may have in your $HOME. And specifying
    > /home/ rather than moving to $HOME and working on * means
    > that the $HOME itself will be modified as it should. Which could be
    > the root cause of his problems to begin with.

    Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that chown could do groups as well.
    Maybe I should check the manpage before I post something :-)

+ Reply to Thread