Article - Does foxnews.com Hate Linux Users? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Article - Does foxnews.com Hate Linux Users? - Ubuntu ; (Notice: The Followup-to on this message is for comp.os.linux.misc but one may always ignore that in a followup if desired) Love them or hate them Fox News is a major USA news outlet. It appears they have decided to seriously ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. Article - Does foxnews.com Hate Linux Users?

    (Notice: The Followup-to on this message is for comp.os.linux.misc but one may
    always ignore that in a followup if desired)

    Love them or hate them Fox News is a major USA news outlet. It appears they
    have decided to seriously disrespect the Linux community. Read this to see what
    I mean:

    http://blog.eracc.com/2008/04/25/doe...e-linux-users/

    Gene (e-mail: gene \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    Got Rute? http://www.anrdoezrs.net/email-25465...sbn=0130333514
    ERA Computers & Consulting - http://www.eracc.com/
    Preloaded PCs - eComStation, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare

  2. Re: Article - Does foxnews.com Hate Linux Users?

    Gordon wrote:

    > On 2008-04-26, ERACC wrote:
    >> Love them or hate them Fox News is a major USA news outlet. It
    >> appears they have decided to seriously disrespect the Linux
    >> community. Read this to see what I mean:
    >>
    >> http://blog.eracc.com/2008/04/25/doe...e-linux-users/
    >>

    > Media, can not believe what they say as in,
    >
    > "Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows XP Media Center 2005, Mac OSX 10.3
    > or Mac OSX 10.4 is required to view this page"
    >
    > I thought a web browser would be required.

    True, of course. JavaScript must be Enabled at that page.

    They are using a simple browser sniffer. Setting my favorite spoofed UA
    string of:
    Borgzilla/31.0 (Starship Enterprise NCC-1701)

    ...I was denied access. Changing that (via Firefox PrefBar) to:
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)

    ...which gave me complete access to "all things Flash."

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista

  3. Re: Article - Does foxnews.com Hate Linux Users?

    On 2008-04-26, Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    > I don't see why anyone smart enough to use Linux would want to stoop so low
    > as to look at FoxNews anyway.

    Faux news does not want intelligent people to read their website (so
    that their lies go unnoticed). They probably thought that excluding
    Linux users is a great idea.
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  4. Re: Article - Does foxnews.com Hate Linux Users?

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 07:03:19 -0500, Stephen J. Rush wrote:

    > They fixed it. I just looked, using Firefox in Mint Linux. Looks like
    > their Web developers were just lazy. Outside Microsoft itself, there
    > aren't many Web pages coded to actually exclude non-M$ browsers.

    Doesn't work with FF 2.0 on Ubuntu 7.04.

    --
    Phil Stovell, Hampshire, UK

  5. Re: Article - Does foxnews.com Hate Linux Users?

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 23:59:08 -0500, ERACC wrote:

    > (Notice: The Followup-to on this message is for comp.os.linux.misc but
    > one may always ignore that in a followup if desired)
    >
    > Love them or hate them Fox News is a major USA news outlet. It appears
    > they have decided to seriously disrespect the Linux community. Read this
    > to see what I mean:
    >
    > http://blog.eracc.com/2008/04/25/doe...e-linux-users/
    >
    > Gene (e-mail: gene \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)

    I had the same issue with one of my credit card issuers. There claim was
    they did it for security reasons. I dropped that card.

    As to fox, not where I usually get my news and there are so many other
    sources, I hardly think it's even worth emailing them about it.

  6. Re: Article - Does foxnews.com Hate Linux Users?

    In article , Ignoramus3107 wrote:
    > Faux news does not want intelligent people to read their website (so
    > that their lies go unnoticed). They probably thought that excluding
    > Linux users is a great idea.

    I am curious, what "lies" are they purveying? (I do not have cable TV so
    don't watch it myself.)

    --
    Roger Blake
    (Subtract 10s for email. "Google Groups" messages killfiled due to spam.)

  7. Re: Article - Does foxnews.com Hate Linux Users?

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 08:17:13 -0400, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > True, of course. JavaScript must be Enabled at that page.
    >
    > They are using a simple browser sniffer. Setting my favorite spoofed UA
    > string of:
    > Borgzilla/31.0 (Starship Enterprise NCC-1701)
    >
    > ..I was denied access. Changing that (via Firefox PrefBar) to:
    > Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)
    >
    > ..which gave me complete access to "all things Flash."

    Same here,user-agent switcher to change to IE7 and it worked.Must be for
    a cookie or something because I switched back to the default and
    navigated around to different videos and it kept working.
    Then got out of there because prolonged exposure to Fox news causes brain
    capacity drainage.

    Dave

    --
    Registered Linux user # 444770
    Tact is the ability to tell a man he has an open mind when he has a

  8. Re: Article - Does foxnews.com Hate Linux Users?

    Ignoramus3107 wrote:
    > Faux news does not want intelligent people to read their website (so
    > that their lies go unnoticed). They probably thought that excluding
    > Linux users is a great idea.

    More likely whoever equated usability with O.S.
    instead of browser choice doesn't know that Linux
    exists. (And five years ago, did not know that
    Mac existed.)

    As for "lies," I prefer to call them "gross inaccuracies,"
    since they are standard on all networks, not just the
    ones I disagree with.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Guidelines for judging others:

    1. Don't attribute to malice that which
    can be adequately explained by stupidity.

    2. Don't attribute to stupidity that which
    can be adequately explained by ignorance.

    3. Don't attribute to ignorance that which
    can be adequately explained by misunderstanding.

  9. Re: Article - Does foxnews.com Hate Linux Users?

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 09:35:03 -0500
    Nico wrote:

    > On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 23:59:08 -0500, ERACC wrote:
    >
    > > Love them or hate them Fox News is a major USA news outlet. It appears
    > > they have decided to seriously disrespect the Linux community. Read this
    > > to see what I mean:
    > >
    > > http://blog.eracc.com/2008/04/25/doe...e-linux-users/

    > I had the same issue with one of my credit card issuers. There claim was
    > they did it for security reasons. I dropped that card.

    Yeah, that was a lame excuse to be lazy. I would drop that card too.

    > As to fox, not where I usually get my news and there are so many other
    > sources, I hardly think it's even worth emailing them about it.

    The point is not whether or not Fox News is worth viewing to you or anyone
    else. The point is they *are* a major news organization and they *should* be
    operating system indifferent. I think ignoring these problems at large
    organizations like Fox News is the wrong approach for us in the Linux community.

    Gene (e-mail: gene \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    Got Rute? http://www.anrdoezrs.net/email-25465...sbn=0130333514
    ERA Computers & Consulting - http://www.eracc.com/
    Preloaded PCs - eComStation, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare

  10. Re: Article - Does foxnews.com Hate Linux Users?

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 17:06:46 +0000
    Dave wrote:

    > On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 08:17:13 -0400, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > >
    > > True, of course. JavaScript must be Enabled at that page. They are using a
    > > simple browser sniffer. Setting my favorite spoofed UA string of:
    > > Borgzilla/31.0 (Starship Enterprise NCC-1701)
    > > ..I was denied access. Changing that (via Firefox PrefBar) to:
    > > Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)
    > > ..which gave me complete access to "all things Flash."

    > Same here,user-agent switcher to change to IE7 and it worked.Must be for
    > a cookie or something because I switched back to the default and
    > navigated around to different videos and it kept working.

    [...]
    > Dave

    Yes, I already know about UAS. I posted two followup comments on my company web
    log to someone that mentioned it there:

    http://blog.eracc.com/2008/04/25/doe...rs/#comment-55

    Gene (e-mail: gene \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    Got Rute? http://www.anrdoezrs.net/email-25465...sbn=0130333514
    ERA Computers & Consulting - http://www.eracc.com/
    Preloaded PCs - eComStation, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare

  11. Re: Article - Does foxnews.com Hate Linux Users?

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 12:51:49 -0500, ERACC wrote:

    > On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 09:35:03 -0500
    > Nico wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 23:59:08 -0500, ERACC wrote:
    >>
    >> > Love them or hate them Fox News is a major USA news outlet. It
    >> > appears they have decided to seriously disrespect the Linux
    >> > community. Read this to see what I mean:
    >> >
    >> > http://blog.eracc.com/2008/04/25/doe...e-linux-users/

    >> I had the same issue with one of my credit card issuers. There claim
    >> was they did it for security reasons. I dropped that card.

    > Yeah, that was a lame excuse to be lazy. I would drop that card too.
    >
    >> As to fox, not where I usually get my news and there are so many other
    >> sources, I hardly think it's even worth emailing them about it.

    > The point is not whether or not Fox News is worth viewing to you or
    > anyone else. The point is they *are* a major news organization and they
    > *should* be operating system indifferent. I think ignoring these
    > problems at large organizations like Fox News is the wrong approach for
    > us in the Linux community.
    >
    > Gene (e-mail: gene \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)

    In time, they will change. Most already have, just that Fox is behind
    the times. Or perhaps there developers don't know how to do anything
    else?

    Me, I just write such sites off.

  12. Re: Article - Does foxnews.com Hate Linux Users?

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 14:44:33 +0000, Roger Blake wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Ignoramus3107 wrote:
    >> Faux news does not want intelligent people to read their website (so
    >> that their lies go unnoticed). They probably thought that excluding
    >> Linux users is a great idea.

    > I am curious, what "lies" are they purveying? (I do not have cable TV so
    > don't watch it myself.)

    UAS *User Agent Switcher works for me on 7.10).

    My view is that Fox is at least a tiny bit closer to the center on
    most stories than CNN.

    --
    // This is my opinion.

  13. Re: Article - Does foxnews.com Hate Linux Users?

    ERACC wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > The point is not whether or not Fox News is worth viewing to you
    > or anyone else. The point is they *are* a major news organization
    > and they *should* be operating system indifferent. I think
    > ignoring these problems at large organizations like Fox News is
    > the wrong approach for us in the Linux community.

    Actually, I have no objection to their being biased. I do object
    to their claims of non-bias, or even lack of admission of bias.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  14. Re: Article - Does foxnews.com Hate Linux Users?

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 12:51:49 -0500, ERACC wrote:

    > On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 09:35:03 -0500
    > Nico wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 23:59:08 -0500, ERACC wrote:
    >>
    >> > Love them or hate them Fox News is a major USA news outlet. It appears
    >> > they have decided to seriously disrespect the Linux community. Read this
    >> > to see what I mean:
    >> >
    >> > http://blog.eracc.com/2008/04/25/doe...e-linux-users/

    >> I had the same issue with one of my credit card issuers. There claim was
    >> they did it for security reasons. I dropped that card.

    > Yeah, that was a lame excuse to be lazy. I would drop that card too.
    >
    >> As to fox, not where I usually get my news and there are so many other
    >> sources, I hardly think it's even worth emailing them about it.

    > The point is not whether or not Fox News is worth viewing to you or anyone
    > else. The point is they *are* a major news organization and they *should* be
    > operating system indifferent. I think ignoring these problems at large
    > organizations like Fox News is the wrong approach for us in the Linux community.
    >
    > Gene (e-mail: gene \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)

    It's probably a good thing that the people who get their news from Fox
    News stay far away from anything Linux...

    --
    MarkA
    (This space temporarily unavailable)

  15. Re: Article - Does foxnews.com Hate Linux Users?

    Wonder what fun it will be if GNU threatens to makes GPL release
    mandatory for applications compiled with GCC..

    Bad medicine, and it goes against the free software philosophy,
    but still..
    That day the morons will start obeying..

    /varghese

    ERACC wrote:
    > (Notice: The Followup-to on this message is for comp.os.linux.misc but one may
    > always ignore that in a followup if desired)
    >
    > Love them or hate them Fox News is a major USA news outlet. It appears they
    > have decided to seriously disrespect the Linux community. Read this to see what
    > I mean:
    >
    > http://blog.eracc.com/2008/04/25/doe...e-linux-users/
    >
    > Gene (e-mail: gene \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)

  16. Re: Article - Does foxnews.com Hate Linux Users?

    "Ignoramus3107" wrote in message
    news:BqidnZU9qd0Qt47VnZ2dnUVZWhednZ2d@giganews.com ...
    > On 2008-04-26, Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    >> I don't see why anyone smart enough to use Linux would want to stoop so
    >> low
    >> as to look at FoxNews anyway.

    > Faux news does not want intelligent people to read their website (so

    Then why would they block linsux users?

  17. Re: Article - Does foxnews.com Hate Linux Users?

    "Phil Stovell" wrote in message
    newsan.2008.04.26.14.13.22.794830@stovell.org.uk...
    > On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 07:03:19 -0500, Stephen J. Rush wrote:
    >
    >> They fixed it. I just looked, using Firefox in Mint Linux. Looks like
    >> their Web developers were just lazy. Outside Microsoft itself, there
    >> aren't many Web pages coded to actually exclude non-M$ browsers.

    > Doesn't work with FF 2.0 on Ubuntu 7.04.

    That's because they hate you

  18. Re: Article - Does foxnews.com Hate Linux Users?

    On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 16:40:33 +0000, whoknew wrote:

    > "Phil Stovell" wrote in message
    > newsan.2008.04.26.14.13.22.794830@stovell.org.uk...
    >> On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 07:03:19 -0500, Stephen J. Rush wrote:
    >>
    >>> They fixed it. I just looked, using Firefox in Mint Linux. Looks like
    >>> their Web developers were just lazy. Outside Microsoft itself, there
    >>> aren't many Web pages coded to actually exclude non-M$ browsers.

    >> Doesn't work with FF 2.0 on Ubuntu 7.04.
    >>

    > That's because they hate you

    Good. I don't give a ****, I use the British Broadcasting Corporation's
    fine British news service (it is in Britain, which is outside the USA).

    --
    Phil Stovell, Hampshire, UK

  19. Re: Article - Does foxnews.com Hate Linux Users?

    On 2008-04-28, Phil Stovell wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 16:40:33 +0000, whoknew wrote:
    >

    >> "Phil Stovell" wrote in message
    >> newsan.2008.04.26.14.13.22.794830@stovell.org.uk...

    >>> Doesn't work with FF 2.0 on Ubuntu 7.04.
    >>>

    >> That's because they hate you

    > Good. I don't give a ****, I use the British Broadcasting Corporation's
    > fine British news service (it is in Britain, which is outside the USA).

    Ha! Liar! We all know that there is nothing outside the good ole
    USA. ;-)

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  20. Re: Article - Does foxnews.com Hate Linux Users?

    On 2008-04-27, CBFalconer wrote:
    > ERACC wrote:
    >>

    > ... snip ...
    >>
    >> The point is not whether or not Fox News is worth viewing to you
    >> or anyone else. The point is they *are* a major news organization
    >> and they *should* be operating system indifferent. I think
    >> ignoring these problems at large organizations like Fox News is
    >> the wrong approach for us in the Linux community.

    > Actually, I have no objection to their being biased. I do object
    > to their claims of non-bias, or even lack of admission of bias.

    Do CNN, MSNBC or CNBC admit to bias?

    I find the only way to get any sort of even keel is to read as many
    sources as possible and try to figure out the truth from there...