Ruby on Rails - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ruby on Rails - Ubuntu ; Thinking about starting something new like Ruby or PHP. Not new to most, but new to me. What's been the experience of people learning Ruby on Ubuntu? I have all the pre-requisite packages installed and am wondering just how hard ...

  1. Ruby on Rails

    Thinking about starting something new like Ruby or PHP. Not new to
    most, but new to me.

    What's been the experience of people learning Ruby on Ubuntu? I have
    all the pre-requisite packages installed and am wondering just how
    hard it is from Linux.

    I found http://www.w3schools.com/PHP/DEfaULT.asP to use as a tutorial
    for learning PHP. w3schools has a good rep. Has anyone else used
    this site to learn PHP or are there better ones? I've done a google
    search and have found many, but want something that others have used
    with success.

    --
    * I am the walrus. *
    * RLU 451587 *

  2. Re: Ruby on Rails

    I_Am_The_Walrus wrote:

    > I found http://www.w3schools.com/PHP/DEfaULT.asP to use as a tutorial
    > for learning PHP. w3schools has a good rep.

    No, they don't. Ask that question in one of the web authoring groups.

    http://us.php.net/tut.php

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista

  3. Re: Ruby on Rails

    On 2008-04-26, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > http://us.php.net/tut.php

    Thanks for the link. I've bookmarked it and will study it later.
    Appreciate the input.

    --
    * I am the walrus. *
    * RLU 451587 *
    * Running Vista Ultimate SP1 and Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon *
    * Sea creatures unite and take back usenet http://improve-usenet.org/ *

  4. Re: Ruby on Rails

    I have been trying to learn Ruby and the best tutorial I have used is on
    www.pine.fm. Click on the Programming link and Chris will guide you through
    the basic syntax. A deeper understanding comes from books such as "Ruby in a
    Nutshell" by Yukihiro Matsumoto.

    PHP seems to be the language of choice for system administrators and is a
    scripting language, I understand, and is the most powerful of the two. Learn
    a little of one and practice, practice, practice.

    bookgrampy

    "I_Am_The_Walrus" wrote in message
    > Thinking about starting something new like Ruby or PHP. Not new to
    > most, but new to me.
    >
    > What's been the experience of people learning Ruby on Ubuntu? I have
    > all the pre-requisite packages installed and am wondering just how
    > hard it is from Linux.
    >
    > I found http://www.w3schools.com/PHP/DEfaULT.asP to use as a tutorial
    > for learning PHP. w3schools has a good rep. Has anyone else used
    > this site to learn PHP or are there better ones? I've done a google
    > search and have found many, but want something that others have used
    > with success.
    >

    > --
    > * I am the walrus. *
    > * RLU 451587 *
    > * Running Vista Ultimate SP1 and Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon *
    > * Sea creatures unite and take back usenet http://improve-usenet.org/ *

+ Reply to Thread