[8.04 LTS] - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on [8.04 LTS] - Ubuntu ; Based on what I've seen and heard, 8.04 LTS is not quite ready for production machines, which mine is. So I'd like to wait a few weeks before doing the upgrade. Under my Update Manager, I have the option to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

  1. [8.04 LTS]

    Based on what I've seen and heard, 8.04 LTS is not quite ready for
    production machines, which mine is. So I'd like to wait a few weeks
    before doing the upgrade.

    Under my Update Manager, I have the option to update the distro. My
    question is, how dangerous is this? Of course I back up my data on a
    daily basis so am not worried about losing anything. However, I don't
    want to have to spend hours fixing the system. Does the
    recommendation appear to be
    a) Let Update Manager do its thing
    b) Download the ISO and do a clean install (I have space in one of my
    partitions)

    Thanks for suggestions.

    PS - I'm perfectly content with GG so if it's not broken, I will
    probably not do anything, at least until any bugs are worked out.

    --
    * I am the walrus. *
    * RLU 451587 *

  2. Re: [8.04 LTS]

    On 2008-04-26, I_Am_The_Walrus wrote:
    > Based on what I've seen and heard, 8.04 LTS is not quite ready for
    > production machines, which mine is. So I'd like to wait a few weeks
    > before doing the upgrade.
    >
    > Under my Update Manager, I have the option to update the distro. My
    > question is, how dangerous is this? Of course I back up my data on a
    > daily basis so am not worried about losing anything. However, I don't
    > want to have to spend hours fixing the system. Does the
    > recommendation appear to be
    > a) Let Update Manager do its thing
    > b) Download the ISO and do a clean install (I have space in one of my
    > partitions)
    >
    > Thanks for suggestions.
    >
    > PS - I'm perfectly content with GG so if it's not broken, I will
    > probably not do anything, at least until any bugs are worked out.

    I think that if I were you, I would wait, then backup everything
    twice, and upgrade.

    I use hardy on new servers that I set up but will not rush to upgrade
    Gutsy, which does everything that I want to do on servers.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  3. Re: [8.04 LTS]

    On 2008-04-26, Ignoramus14435 wrote:

    > I think that if I were you, I would wait, then backup everything
    > twice, and upgrade.

    My backup program, simplebackup does a full once a week and
    incrementals other days for /var/www, /usr/local and /home/
    and stores them on an externally attached USB drive. Maybe I'll add
    another step to back that up to another externally attached 1 TB drive

    > I use hardy on new servers that I set up but will not rush to upgrade
    > Gutsy, which does everything that I want to do on servers.

    Yeh, makes sense. GG it is, for now. I've got wubi sort of working
    with my Vista laptop so if HH is released for wubi, I could try that.

    --
    * I am the walrus. *
    * RLU 451587 *
    * Running Vista Ultimate SP1 and Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon *
    * Sea creatures unite and take back usenet http://improve-usenet.org/ *

  4. Re: [8.04 LTS]

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 00:01:59 +0000, I_Am_The_Walrus wrote:

    > Based on what I've seen and heard, 8.04 LTS is not quite ready for
    > production machines, which mine is. So I'd like to wait a few weeks
    > before doing the upgrade.

    That's what I plan to do.

    > Under my Update Manager, I have the option to update the distro. My
    > question is, how dangerous is this? Of course I back up my data on a
    > daily basis so am not worried about losing anything. However, I don't
    > want to have to spend hours fixing the system. Does the recommendation
    > appear to be
    > a) Let Update Manager do its thing
    > b) Download the ISO and do a clean install (I have space in one of my
    > partitions)

    Are you asking about the upgrade or about routine updates? I've never had
    any problems with routine updates. The upgrade will probably work, but I'd
    back up any important data first.

    > Thanks for suggestions.
    >
    > PS - I'm perfectly content with GG so if it's not broken, I will
    > probably not do anything, at least until any bugs are worked out.

  5. Re: [8.04 LTS]

    On 2008-04-26, I_Am_The_Walrus wrote:
    > Based on what I've seen and heard, 8.04 LTS is not quite ready for
    > production machines, which mine is. So I'd like to wait a few weeks
    > before doing the upgrade.

    I always wait a month, minimum, to upgrade my main PC. My laptop gets
    the upgrades early, since I don't do anything important on that...

    > Under my Update Manager, I have the option to update the distro. My
    > question is, how dangerous is this? Of course I back up my data on a
    > daily basis so am not worried about losing anything. However, I don't
    > want to have to spend hours fixing the system. Does the
    > recommendation appear to be
    > a) Let Update Manager do its thing
    > b) Download the ISO and do a clean install (I have space in one of my
    > partitions)

    It's a matter of choice. I have never had a problem with the update
    manager doing the upgrade, and even if you do, you wouldn't need to
    spend too much time fixing it, just install from the CD and restore
    your home directory...

    > Thanks for suggestions.
    >
    > PS - I'm perfectly content with GG so if it's not broken, I will
    > probably not do anything, at least until any bugs are worked out.

    Really, if you do not have any pressing need to go to the new version,
    don't bother. The only benefit will be that it is an LTS release, so
    you'll have longer support for it.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  6. Re: [8.04 LTS]

    On 2008-04-26, I_Am_The_Walrus wrote:
    > On 2008-04-26, Ignoramus14435 wrote:
    >>
    >> I think that if I were you, I would wait, then backup everything
    >> twice, and upgrade.

    > My backup program, simplebackup does a full once a week and
    > incrementals other days for /var/www, /usr/local and /home/
    > and stores them on an externally attached USB drive. Maybe I'll add
    > another step to back that up to another externally attached 1 TB drive

    Cool. I use rdiff-backup. I am a backup freak.

    >> I use hardy on new servers that I set up but will not rush to upgrade
    >> Gutsy, which does everything that I want to do on servers.
    >>

    > Yeh, makes sense. GG it is, for now. I've got wubi sort of working
    > with my Vista laptop so if HH is released for wubi, I could try that.

    Gutsy, at this point, is rock solid stable.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  7. Re: [8.04 LTS]

    I_Am_The_Walrus wrote:
    > Based on what I've seen and heard, 8.04 LTS is not quite ready for
    > production machines, which mine is. So I'd like to wait a few weeks
    > before doing the upgrade.
    >
    > Under my Update Manager, I have the option to update the distro. My
    > question is, how dangerous is this? Of course I back up my data on a
    > daily basis so am not worried about losing anything. However, I don't
    > want to have to spend hours fixing the system. Does the
    > recommendation appear to be
    > a) Let Update Manager do its thing
    > b) Download the ISO and do a clean install (I have space in one of my
    > partitions)

    I upgraded through the update manager last night. No problems yet.

  8. Re: [8.04 LTS]

    kenny1111 wrote:
    > I_Am_The_Walrus wrote:
    >> Based on what I've seen and heard, 8.04 LTS is not quite ready for
    >> production machines, which mine is. So I'd like to wait a few weeks
    >> before doing the upgrade.
    >>
    >> Under my Update Manager, I have the option to update the distro. My
    >> question is, how dangerous is this? Of course I back up my data on a
    >> daily basis so am not worried about losing anything. However, I don't
    >> want to have to spend hours fixing the system. Does the
    >> recommendation appear to be
    >> a) Let Update Manager do its thing
    >> b) Download the ISO and do a clean install (I have space in one of my
    >> partitions)
    >>

    > I upgraded through the update manager last night. No problems yet.

    I performed the upgrade via update manager. It was very slow, no doubt
    due to the load on the servers.

    I did have a problem with my xserver though. I have a Samsung 712N
    monitor and a GF6200 video card. While the monitor was identified by
    name and model number, only 800x600 and 640x480 resolutions were
    allowed. Once again the video detection still doesn't seem to work that
    well. This happened on the last upgrade from 6.x to 7.10. After several
    attempts at installing the various nvidia drivers and generic displays,
    I finally just copied my xorg.conf file from the last driver setup in
    7.10 and got my 1280x1024 back. Or at least that seems to be what fixed
    it. According to the System - Admin - Hardware drivers selection, I have
    no proprietary drivers installed. The currently installed driver is the
    nvidia-glx-new (169.12). This pc has some pretty common video hardware
    and this should have been a piece of cake.

    Avant Window Navigator doesn't work, gets a library installation error.

  9. Re: [8.04 LTS]

    On 2008-04-26, Ignoramus14435 wrote:

    > Cool. I use rdiff-backup. I am a backup freak.

    As am I. I like rsnapshot for the things that I might need multiple
    versions of (/home, /etc) and use rsync for the directories that I
    only will ever need the latest version of (mp3 and video folders).
    The rsnapshots go to a SAN in my office, and copies of everything I
    feel is important go to a NAS sitting by my front door. If ever there
    is an emergency, I can just grab that on the way out and not lose
    anything (family photos, letters, financial info, etc...).

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  10. Re: [8.04 LTS]

    I_Am_The_Walrus wrote:
    > b) Download the ISO and do a clean install (I have space in one of my
    > partitions)

    A clean install doesn't take much longer than an upgrade these days.
    That way you can always go back to your previously working Gutsy
    partition if it doesn't work the way you want.

    On your working Gutsy partition save your package (apps) list:
    dpkg --get-selections \* > packagelist-name

    Clean install from iso took me <10 minutes. Booted and checked for
    upgrade packages (2 minutes). Then to get all the packages from our
    Gutsy install to Hardy, run:
    dpkg --set-selections < packagelist-name

    then:
    apt-get dselect-upgrade

    And you've got a clean install with all the packages (apps) you had in
    Gutsy. All in about an hour.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  11. Re: [8.04 LTS]

    kenny1111 wrote:
    > I_Am_The_Walrus wrote:
    >> Based on what I've seen and heard, 8.04 LTS is not quite ready for
    >> production machines, which mine is. So I'd like to wait a few weeks
    >> before doing the upgrade.
    >>
    >> Under my Update Manager, I have the option to update the distro. My
    >> question is, how dangerous is this? Of course I back up my data on a
    >> daily basis so am not worried about losing anything. However, I don't
    >> want to have to spend hours fixing the system. Does the
    >> recommendation appear to be
    >> a) Let Update Manager do its thing
    >> b) Download the ISO and do a clean install (I have space in one of my
    >> partitions)
    >>

    > I upgraded through the update manager last night. No problems yet.

    In light of another post, I'll add that I have a Dell Latitude D620 laptop.

  12. Re: [8.04 LTS]

    snip

    According to the System - Admin - Hardware drivers selection, I have
    > no proprietary drivers installed. The currently installed driver is the
    > nvidia-glx-new (169.12). This pc has some pretty common video hardware
    > and this should have been a piece of cake.

    snip

    Ok, now I'm getting really confused. I'm using the nvidia-glx-new driver
    in gutsy and it is shown as a proprietary driver. So in hardy it is not
    a proprietary driver?

    Also, I have no need to upgrade, but just in case I get a wild hair, can
    someone tell me if the repo for VirtualBox non-free can be switched to
    hardy? My line in sources.list is "deb http://www.virtualbox.org/debian
    gutsy non-free". I couldn't find references to hardy on the virtualbox
    site but wondered if Sun decided to put it somewhere else. Thanks

  13. Re: [8.04 LTS]

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 10:24:49 -0500, User wrote:

    > snip
    >
    > According to the System - Admin - Hardware drivers selection, I have
    >> no proprietary drivers installed. The currently installed driver is the
    >> nvidia-glx-new (169.12). This pc has some pretty common video hardware
    >> and this should have been a piece of cake.

    > snip
    >
    > Ok, now I'm getting really confused. I'm using the nvidia-glx-new driver
    > in gutsy and it is shown as a proprietary driver. So in hardy it is not
    > a proprietary driver?

    When I installed Hardy it used 'nv' and not 'nvidia' on an 8500GT.

  14. Re: [8.04 LTS]

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 10:24:49 -0500, User wrote:
    >
    >> snip
    >>
    >> According to the System - Admin - Hardware drivers selection, I have
    >>> no proprietary drivers installed. The currently installed driver is the
    >>> nvidia-glx-new (169.12). This pc has some pretty common video hardware
    >>> and this should have been a piece of cake.

    >> snip
    >>
    >> Ok, now I'm getting really confused. I'm using the nvidia-glx-new driver
    >> in gutsy and it is shown as a proprietary driver. So in hardy it is not
    >> a proprietary driver?

    > When I installed Hardy it used 'nv' and not 'nvidia' on an 8500GT.

    Was it an upgrade from gutsy or a clean install?

  15. Re: [8.04 LTS]

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 10:24:49 -0500, User wrote:
    >
    >> snip
    >>
    >> According to the System - Admin - Hardware drivers selection, I have
    >>> no proprietary drivers installed. The currently installed driver is the
    >>> nvidia-glx-new (169.12). This pc has some pretty common video hardware
    >>> and this should have been a piece of cake.

    >> snip
    >>
    >> Ok, now I'm getting really confused. I'm using the nvidia-glx-new driver
    >> in gutsy and it is shown as a proprietary driver. So in hardy it is not
    >> a proprietary driver?

    > When I installed Hardy it used 'nv' and not 'nvidia' on an 8500GT.

    Mine automatically used the proprietary driver.

  16. Re: [8.04 LTS]

    I_Am_The_Walrus illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Based on what I've seen and heard, 8.04 LTS is not quite ready for
    > production machines, which mine is. So I'd like to wait a few weeks
    > before doing the upgrade.

    Why? What have you seen that suggests that? I've been running Hardy on
    numerous machines with no issues.

    > Under my Update Manager, I have the option to update the distro. My
    > question is, how dangerous is this? Of course I back up my data on a
    > daily basis so am not worried about losing anything. However, I don't
    > want to have to spend hours fixing the system. Does the
    > recommendation appear to be
    > a) Let Update Manager do its thing
    > b) Download the ISO and do a clean install (I have space in one of my
    > partitions)

    Download the iso just in case. Then do the "update manager".

    I'm assuming the golden "back up" rule is being employed by you.

    > Thanks for suggestions.
    >
    > PS - I'm perfectly content with GG so if it's not broken, I will
    > probably not do anything, at least until any bugs are worked out.

    Don't upgrade then. However, I do recommend Hardy. I've been using it
    all the way through its development and it *is* fantastic.

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  17. Re: [8.04 LTS]

    Moog wrote:
    > I_Am_The_Walrus illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Based on what I've seen and heard, 8.04 LTS is not quite ready for
    >> production machines, which mine is. So I'd like to wait a few weeks
    >> before doing the upgrade.

    > Why? What have you seen that suggests that? I've been running Hardy on
    > numerous machines with no issues.
    >
    >> Under my Update Manager, I have the option to update the distro. My
    >> question is, how dangerous is this? Of course I back up my data on a
    >> daily basis so am not worried about losing anything. However, I don't
    >> want to have to spend hours fixing the system. Does the
    >> recommendation appear to be
    >> a) Let Update Manager do its thing
    >> b) Download the ISO and do a clean install (I have space in one of my
    >> partitions)

    > Download the iso just in case. Then do the "update manager".
    >
    > I'm assuming the golden "back up" rule is being employed by you.
    >
    >> Thanks for suggestions.
    >>
    >> PS - I'm perfectly content with GG so if it's not broken, I will
    >> probably not do anything, at least until any bugs are worked out.

    > Don't upgrade then. However, I do recommend Hardy. I've been using it
    > all the way through its development and it *is* fantastic.

    I upgraded my system to Ubuntu 8.04 LTS this morning and all went extremely well. No
    hardware issues. All my old settings were untouched. Loving Ubuntu.

  18. Re: [8.04 LTS]

    Donald Calloway wrote:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> I_Am_The_Walrus illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> Based on what I've seen and heard, 8.04 LTS is not quite ready for
    >>> production machines, which mine is. So I'd like to wait a few weeks
    >>> before doing the upgrade.

    >> Why? What have you seen that suggests that? I've been running Hardy on
    >> numerous machines with no issues.
    >>
    >>> Under my Update Manager, I have the option to update the distro. My
    >>> question is, how dangerous is this? Of course I back up my data on a
    >>> daily basis so am not worried about losing anything. However, I don't
    >>> want to have to spend hours fixing the system. Does the
    >>> recommendation appear to be
    >>> a) Let Update Manager do its thing
    >>> b) Download the ISO and do a clean install (I have space in one of my
    >>> partitions)

    >> Download the iso just in case. Then do the "update manager".
    >>
    >> I'm assuming the golden "back up" rule is being employed by you.
    >>
    >>> Thanks for suggestions.
    >>>
    >>> PS - I'm perfectly content with GG so if it's not broken, I will
    >>> probably not do anything, at least until any bugs are worked out.

    >> Don't upgrade then. However, I do recommend Hardy. I've been using it
    >> all the way through its development and it *is* fantastic.
    >>

    > I upgraded my system to Ubuntu 8.04 LTS this morning and all went extremely well. No
    > hardware issues. All my old settings were untouched. Loving Ubuntu.

    My only complaint after upgrading on a Mac-installed Ubuntu 7.10
    upgraded to 8.04 was loss of my language and keyboard settings, easily
    remedied. Of course, I haven't had time to test and try everything.

    --
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++
    ||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., ||

  19. Re: [8.04 LTS]

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 01:13:37 -0400, Dyno wrote:

    > kenny1111 wrote:
    >> I_Am_The_Walrus wrote:
    >>> Based on what I've seen and heard, 8.04 LTS is not quite ready for
    >>> production machines, which mine is. So I'd like to wait a few weeks
    >>> before doing the upgrade.
    >>>
    >>> Under my Update Manager, I have the option to update the distro. My
    >>> question is, how dangerous is this? Of course I back up my data on a
    >>> daily basis so am not worried about losing anything. However, I don't
    >>> want to have to spend hours fixing the system. Does the
    >>> recommendation appear to be
    >>> a) Let Update Manager do its thing
    >>> b) Download the ISO and do a clean install (I have space in one of my
    >>> partitions)
    >>>

    >> I upgraded through the update manager last night. No problems yet.

    > I performed the upgrade via update manager. It was very slow, no doubt
    > due to the load on the servers.
    >
    > I did have a problem with my xserver though. I have a Samsung 712N
    > monitor and a GF6200 video card. While the monitor was identified by
    > name and model number, only 800x600 and 640x480 resolutions were
    > allowed. Once again the video detection still doesn't seem to work that
    > well. This happened on the last upgrade from 6.x to 7.10. After several
    > attempts at installing the various nvidia drivers and generic displays,
    > I finally just copied my xorg.conf file from the last driver setup in
    > 7.10 and got my 1280x1024 back. Or at least that seems to be what fixed
    > it. According to the System - Admin - Hardware drivers selection, I have
    > no proprietary drivers installed. The currently installed driver is the
    > nvidia-glx-new (169.12). This pc has some pretty common video hardware
    > and this should have been a piece of cake.
    >
    > Avant Window Navigator doesn't work, gets a library installation error.

    Apparently when downloading prior to my upgrade, the restricted drivers
    did not fully download. I used Synaptic to install version 2.6.24-16-386
    and found that I only needed to download two additional files. Did that
    and then the restricted Nvidia driver was visible. Enabled the driver,
    rebooted and now X seems to working correctly.

    But..... Always a but I guess.
    I do have an error due to the Avant Window Navigator:
    E: /var/cache/apt/archives/libawn0_0.2.1-0ubuntu2_i386.deb: trying to
    overwrite `/usr/lib/libawn.so.0.0.1', which is also in package libawn-bzr

    For some reason I can neither re-install nor remove this package. Not
    sure what to do yet.

  20. 8.04 on a Mac (was: Re: [8.04 LTS])

    AV3 wrote:

    > My only complaint after upgrading on a Mac-installed Ubuntu 7.10
    > upgraded to 8.04 was loss of my language and keyboard settings, easily
    > remedied. Of course, I haven't had time to test and try everything.

    I tried the LiveCD of xubuntu-6.06.1-desktop-powerpc on an old 350 MHz
    Slot-Loading G3 iMac. I watched the OS boot process, but when it got to
    the GUI desktop environment stage, it went dark. I did have the six TTY
    consoles available.

    I found an old note from a previous LiveCD tryout of an unknown distro,
    which might be Ubuntu 5.04 or 5.10, as I do have the PPC release of
    these versions. It might also have been Fedora Core 4 or 5, since these
    had LiveCDs for PPC.

    One note is an obvious boot cheat: "live video-ofonly" with a date on
    the note of 20050101 and 20050418, dating it before both of the Fedora
    Core releases, and before Ubuntu 5.10.

    There seems to be a lot of info on Google:

    http://www.google.com/search?q=video%3Dofonly

    The other note is an xorg.conf edit to comment out the "Load "dri"" in
    the "Module" section, and to change the video sync ranges (H=60-60,
    V=75-117).

    I went through these, but still had no video beyond the usual point
    where Ubuntu's X11 or gdm starts (although gdm wouldn't be starting on
    an Xfce DE). Ran out of time, so it sits for a rainy day.

    Now I see your message, so couldn't resist.

    What Mac do you have, and are you using any kernel cheats or xorg.conf
    changes?

    --
    John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast