    I did the Firefox32 trick and it runs but it won't connect to the internet.
    I'll keep the install around for when updates address these basic issues.

  2. Re: 8.04 amd64 not ready for prime time

    On 2008-04-25, Meat Plow wrote:
    > If your only option is to install 32 bit interpreter libs to run
    > Firefox32-2.0.0.6 and install 32 bit jre-1.5 just to get a browser with
    > java then it isn't quite ready IMO. What is ready is nice but there are
    > problems with the ubuntustudio gnome environment pertaining to logging out
    > of kdm into gdm (at least on my box).
    >
    > I did the Firefox32 trick and it runs but it won't connect to the internet.
    > I'll keep the install around for when updates address these basic issues.

    That's mostly a Sun's 64 bit issue, but indeed, it is ****ty. Most
    of my computers are 64 bit.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  3. Re: 8.04 amd64 not ready for prime time

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 18:32:55 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    > I'll keep the install around for when updates address these basic
    > issues.

    You are right, it is simply not ready!

    --
    Jerry Maguire: Help me... help you. Help me, help you. ;-)

  4. Re: 8.04 amd64 not ready for prime time

    On 2008-04-25, Holz wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 18:32:55 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:
    >
    >> I'll keep the install around for when updates address these basic
    >> issues.

    > You are right, it is simply not ready!

    The only thing that I need, and does not work, is Java.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  5. Re: 8.04 amd64 not ready for prime time

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 17:52:38 -0500, Ignoramus14435 wrote:

    > On 2008-04-25, Meat Plow wrote:
    >> If your only option is to install 32 bit interpreter libs to run
    >> Firefox32-2.0.0.6 and install 32 bit jre-1.5 just to get a browser with
    >> java then it isn't quite ready IMO. What is ready is nice but there are
    >> problems with the ubuntustudio gnome environment pertaining to logging out
    >> of kdm into gdm (at least on my box).
    >>
    >> I did the Firefox32 trick and it runs but it won't connect to the internet.
    >> I'll keep the install around for when updates address these basic issues.

    > That's mostly a Sun's 64 bit issue, but indeed, it is ****ty. Most
    > of my computers are 64 bit.

    I know it's Sun's issue but it's a major issue none the less.

  6. Re: 8.04 amd64 not ready for prime time

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 18:32:55 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    > If your only option is to install 32 bit interpreter libs to run
    > Firefox32-2.0.0.6 and install 32 bit jre-1.5 just to get a browser with
    > java then it isn't quite ready IMO. What is ready is nice but there are
    > problems with the ubuntustudio gnome environment pertaining to logging
    > out of kdm into gdm (at least on my box).
    >
    > I did the Firefox32 trick and it runs but it won't connect to the
    > internet. I'll keep the install around for when updates address these
    > basic issues.

    That isn't a Ubuntu problem. That's a java problem. If Sun is unable to
    release a decent x86-64 version of their JVM then why exactly is it
    Ubuntu's fault? Do you believe it is reasonable to expect canonical to
    fix the shortcomings of Sun's JVM.

    Rui Maciel

  7. Re: 8.04 amd64 not ready for prime time

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 04:20:46 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    > I know it's Sun's issue but it's a major issue none the less.

    It's a major issue regarding Sun's JVM for the x86-64 platform, not the
    underlying operating system.

    Rui Maciel

  8. Re: 8.04 amd64 not ready for prime time

    Meat Plow schreef:
    > If your only option is to install 32 bit interpreter libs to run
    > Firefox32-2.0.0.6 and install 32 bit jre-1.5 just to get a browser with
    > java then it isn't quite ready IMO. What is ready is nice but there are
    > problems with the ubuntustudio gnome environment pertaining to logging out
    > of kdm into gdm (at least on my box).
    >
    > I did the Firefox32 trick and it runs but it won't connect to the internet.
    > I'll keep the install around for when updates address these basic issues.

    I'm running the 64bit version of Hardy and have no issues with Java.
    I've installed the Sun Java 6 runtime in the internet section of add/remove
    programs and checked the installation on Sun's "Test Java Virtual Machine" website.
    http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp
    According to this site my Java installation is just fine.
    (Just not the latest version).

    Herbert

  9. Re: 8.04 amd64 not ready for prime time

    Ignoramus14435 wrote:
    >The only thing that I need, and does not work, is Java.

    That's likely because you're using a dpkg version of Java, probably
    with Gnu's gcj 'embrace and extend' cruft, all thanks to some package
    developer's religous convistion.

    The fix is to install Sun's Java from the Sun website. Install it in
    the standard place (/usr/java or /usr/jdk... for multiple versions)
    and set your JAVA_HOME variable accordingly. That's what I've
    always done and never had a problem.

    Paco

  10. Re: 8.04 amd64 not ready for prime time

    Meat Plow wrote:

    > If your only option is to install 32 bit interpreter libs to run
    > Firefox32-2.0.0.6 and install 32 bit jre-1.5 just to get a browser with
    > java then it isn't quite ready IMO. What is ready is nice but there are
    > problems with the ubuntustudio gnome environment pertaining to logging out
    > of kdm into gdm (at least on my box).

    > I did the Firefox32 trick and it runs but it won't connect to the internet.
    > I'll keep the install around for when updates address these basic issues.

    In that case, I'd recommend using 64-bit Ubuntu 7.10 for now. The only
    thing I've had to use 32-bit libs for the flash plugin, for which
    Acrobat only has a 32-bit release, and for my lightscribe software and
    Neverwinter Nights, which are 32-bit likewise. For me, 7.10 has been
    the best version of Ubuntu I've used so far. At this stage, the only
    thing I'll consider upgrading for is native support for my wireless NICs
    on both machines, which I don't see happening any time soon.

  11. Re: 8.04 amd64 not ready for prime time

    HerbY wrote:

    > I'm running the 64bit version of Hardy and have no issues with Java.
    > I've installed the Sun Java 6 runtime in the internet section of add/remove
    > programs and checked the installation on Sun's "Test Java Virtual
    > Machine" website.
    > http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp
    > According to this site my Java installation is just fine.
    > (Just not the latest version).

    Works for me perfectly, although I can't vouch for the development
    libraries. I use C++ and C#.

+ Reply to Thread