Steam under ubuntu - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Steam under ubuntu - Ubuntu ; I've been able to get Steam working under Ubuntu by using wine-doors (very nice it is too), but i'm suffering crashes very quickly after joining a game (seconds at most). This isn't a "recoverable" crash, this is total system lock ...

  1. Steam under ubuntu

    I've been able to get Steam working under Ubuntu by using wine-doors
    (very nice it is too), but i'm suffering crashes very quickly after
    joining a game (seconds at most).

    This isn't a "recoverable" crash, this is total system lock up / "keep
    your finger on the power button to force a reset" level of failure.

    Does anyone else get this (or use Steam for games) ?

    IIRC, under the orignal HL (I play a mod that works on the original) the
    system was prone to crashing with some sound cards - i'll try and report
    back shortly after disabling sound to see if it helps...

    If I can get this going, I might be on for ditching doze permanently !
    (I think i've got pretty much everything else I use regularly working)

  2. Re: Steam under ubuntu

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 21:42:45 +0000, colin wilson wrote:

    > This isn't a "recoverable" crash, this is total system lock up / "keep
    > your finger on the power button to force a reset" level of failure.

    nasty!

    However, when you get a system freeze, please try the following to force
    the system to shut down, rather than hitting the power button.

    hold down Alt and SysRq, then press the following sequence of keys
    (quotes and spaces simply for clarity) "r e i s u b"
    (that's "busier" backwards, or a memorable mnemonic phrase is "raising
    elephants is so utterly boring")

    That will avoid the risk of damage to your filesystem, and works 99% of
    the time.

    for more info see
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

  3. Re: Steam under ubuntu

    > > This isn't a "recoverable" crash, this is total system lock up / "keep
    > > your finger on the power button to force a reset" level of failure.

    > nasty!

    Yup :-} (on the bright side, as a wubi install, i'm hoping the only
    corruption might be to the loopback file itself, not the wider OS)

    > However, when you get a system freeze, please try the following to force
    > the system to shut down, rather than hitting the power button.
    > hold down Alt and SysRq, then press the following sequence of keys
    > (quotes and spaces simply for clarity) "r e i s u b"

    Do you need to keep alt-sysreq down all the time as you type, or can
    you press it the once and reisub it ?

    > That will avoid the risk of damage to your filesystem, and works 99% of
    > the time.
    > for more info see
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

    Thanks for the tip - I do remember something about it from years ago
    via a linux mailing list I was on, but forgot all about it :-}

  4. Re: Steam under ubuntu

    Neil Wallace wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 21:42:45 +0000, colin wilson wrote:
    >

    >> This isn't a "recoverable" crash, this is total system lock up / "keep
    >> your finger on the power button to force a reset" level of failure.
    >>

    > nasty!
    >
    > However, when you get a system freeze, please try the following to force
    > the system to shut down, rather than hitting the power button.
    >
    > hold down Alt and SysRq, then press the following sequence of keys
    > (quotes and spaces simply for clarity) "r e i s u b"
    > (that's "busier" backwards, or a memorable mnemonic phrase is "raising
    > elephants is so utterly boring")
    >
    > That will avoid the risk of damage to your filesystem, and works 99% of
    > the time.
    >
    > for more info see
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

    is -- or capture the focused window
    instead of plain which captures the whole screen.

    Is your advice for any particular distro, version, GUI/CLI, ...?

    --
    John