Satisified Vista user's report on Ubuntu UNIX - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Satisified Vista user's report on Ubuntu UNIX - Ubuntu ; Well, just to see what the NG Street Fights are about... 1. Downloaded 8.04 x64 version from Argonne Labs... 8 minutes 2. Burned ISO to DVD 3. Booted from DVD 4. No native support for Dual Monitor 5. Butt Ugly! ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 69

  1. Satisified Vista user's report on Ubuntu UNIX

    Well, just to see what the NG Street Fights are about...

    1. Downloaded 8.04 x64 version from Argonne Labs... 8 minutes
    2. Burned ISO to DVD
    3. Booted from DVD
    4. No native support for Dual Monitor
    5. Butt Ugly!
    6. TCP Stack found, Internet OK
    7. Firefox works

    OK it works....

    However, clearly little more than a curiosity for me at this point.

    To be fair I will probably play with and explore it in my spare time.

    For now back to get some work done with the Vista OS and my Applications.

    Regards,
    Chris Sidener

  2. Re: Satisified Vista user's report on Ubuntu UNIX

    On 2008-04-25, Chris S. wrote:
    > Well, just to see what the NG Street Fights are about...
    >
    > 1. Downloaded 8.04 x64 version from Argonne Labs... 8 minutes
    > 2. Burned ISO to DVD
    > 3. Booted from DVD
    > 4. No native support for Dual Monitor
    > 5. Butt Ugly!
    > 6. TCP Stack found, Internet OK
    > 7. Firefox works
    >
    > OK it works....
    >
    > However, clearly little more than a curiosity for me at this point.
    >
    > To be fair I will probably play with and explore it in my spare time.
    >
    > For now back to get some work done with the Vista OS and my Applications.

    Is dual monitor mode not supported at all? Or is it simply not the default?

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  3. Re: Satisified Vista user's report on Ubuntu UNIX

    "Ignoramus14435" wrote in message
    news:TdCdnadmJ88ilo_VnZ2dnUVZ_g2dnZ2d@giganews.com ...
    > On 2008-04-25, Chris S. wrote:
    >> Well, just to see what the NG Street Fights are about...
    >>
    >> 1. Downloaded 8.04 x64 version from Argonne Labs... 8 minutes
    >> 2. Burned ISO to DVD
    >> 3. Booted from DVD
    >> 4. No native support for Dual Monitor
    >> 5. Butt Ugly!
    >> 6. TCP Stack found, Internet OK
    >> 7. Firefox works
    >>
    >> OK it works....
    >>
    >> However, clearly little more than a curiosity for me at this point.
    >>
    >> To be fair I will probably play with and explore it in my spare time.
    >>
    >> For now back to get some work done with the Vista OS and my Applications.
    >>

    > Is dual monitor mode not supported at all? Or is it simply not the
    > default?
    >
    > --
    > Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
    > inattention
    > to spammers, I and many others block all articles originating
    > from Google Groups. If you want your postings to be seen by
    > more readers you will need to find a different means of
    > posting on Usenet.
    > http://improve-usenet.org/

    I'm rather sure it is supported, but not without finding and installing
    drivers...A clean install
    of Vista x64 Ultimate had no such problems.

    Chris

  4. Re: Satisified Vista user's report on Ubuntu UNIX

    On 2008-04-25, Chris S. wrote:

    > "Ignoramus14435" wrote in message
    > news:TdCdnadmJ88ilo_VnZ2dnUVZ_g2dnZ2d@giganews.com ...
    >> On 2008-04-25, Chris S. wrote:
    >>> Well, just to see what the NG Street Fights are about...
    >>>
    >>> 1. Downloaded 8.04 x64 version from Argonne Labs... 8 minutes
    >>> 2. Burned ISO to DVD
    >>> 3. Booted from DVD
    >>> 4. No native support for Dual Monitor
    >>> 5. Butt Ugly!
    >>> 6. TCP Stack found, Internet OK
    >>> 7. Firefox works
    >>>
    >>> OK it works....
    >>>
    >>> However, clearly little more than a curiosity for me at this point.
    >>>
    >>> To be fair I will probably play with and explore it in my spare time.
    >>>
    >>> For now back to get some work done with the Vista OS and my Applications.
    >>>

    >> Is dual monitor mode not supported at all? Or is it simply not the
    >> default?
    >>

    > I'm rather sure it is supported, but not without finding and installing
    > drivers...A clean install
    > of Vista x64 Ultimate had no such problems.
    >
    > Chris

    Have you tried configuring your screen settings?
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  5. Re: Satisified Vista user's report on Ubuntu UNIX

    "Ignoramus14435" wrote in message
    news:hKOdnXecBr_0kI_VnZ2dnUVZ_hKdnZ2d@giganews.com ...
    > On 2008-04-25, Chris S. wrote:
    >>
    >> "Ignoramus14435" wrote in message
    >> news:TdCdnadmJ88ilo_VnZ2dnUVZ_g2dnZ2d@giganews.com ...

    >>> Is dual monitor mode not supported at all? Or is it simply not the
    >>> default?
    >>>

    >> I'm rather sure it is supported, but not without finding and installing
    >> drivers...A clean install
    >> of Vista x64 Ultimate had no such problems.
    >>
    >> Chris
    >>

    > Have you tried configuring your screen settings?
    > --
    > Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
    > inattention
    > to spammers, I and many others block all articles originating
    > from Google Groups. If you want your postings to be seen by
    > more readers you will need to find a different means of
    > posting on Usenet.
    > http://improve-usenet.org/

    Not yet. As mentioned, that would be a "spare time" exercise. When
    relaxing at home with nothing else to do, I'll look into it and report back.

    Chris S.

  6. Re: Satisified Vista user's report on Ubuntu UNIX

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 15:48:54 +0000, Chris S. wrote:

    > Well, just to see what the NG Street Fights are about...
    >
    > 1. Downloaded 8.04 x64 version from Argonne Labs... 8 minutes 2. Burned
    > ISO to DVD
    > 3. Booted from DVD
    > 4. No native support for Dual Monitor 5. Butt Ugly!
    > 6. TCP Stack found, Internet OK
    > 7. Firefox works
    >
    > OK it works....
    >
    > However, clearly little more than a curiosity for me at this point.
    >
    > To be fair I will probably play with and explore it in my spare time.
    >
    > For now back to get some work done with the Vista OS and my
    > Applications.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Chris Sidener

    You must not be totally satisfied or you would not have wanted to try it.
    I'd wait a few weeks before trying 8.04, anyway. Things seldom work
    perfectly on the day of release - true for just about every OS I have ever
    tried. Dual monitors should be no big deal to set up - I haven't done that
    recently; I find one 1680x1050 LCD to be adequate, but I used to have two
    21" CRT's. If you don't like the color scheme, that's quite easy to
    change, as well.

  7. Re: Satisified Vista user's report on Ubuntu UNIX

    Chris S. wrote:
    > "Ignoramus14435" wrote
    >>
    >> Is dual monitor mode not supported at all? Or is it simply not the
    >> default?

    > I'm rather sure it is supported, but not without finding and installing
    > drivers...A clean install
    > of Vista x64 Ultimate had no such problems.

    The default install doesn't set up dual monitors pointy-clicky, but it
    is easily configured with some very simple config file editing after
    installing the drivers with the GUI tool. Considering the difference in
    price between Ubuntu Hardy and Vista Ultimate, the effort is minor.

    --
    Mark Warner
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  8. Re: Satisified Vista user's report on Ubuntu UNIX

    "Chris S." wrote in news:G3nQj.4$lc6.1
    @trnddc04:

    > 5. Butt Ugly!

    Yes, ugly as Vista is.

    Change the theme, 'ClearLooks' is included, and not ugly, change the
    background, and you're in.

    If you're into the eye candy, do set it for 'Max' and d/l the Compiz
    Configuration Manager, which will give you more control over the effects.

  9. Re: Satisified Vista user's report on Ubuntu UNIX

    stay away from compizd.

    You can instal;; screenlets for some eye candy.

    On 2008-04-25, DanS wrote:
    > "Chris S." wrote in news:G3nQj.4$lc6.1
    > @trnddc04:
    >
    >> 5. Butt Ugly!

    > Yes, ugly as Vista is.
    >
    > Change the theme, 'ClearLooks' is included, and not ugly, change the
    > background, and you're in.
    >
    > If you're into the eye candy, do set it for 'Max' and d/l the Compiz
    > Configuration Manager, which will give you more control over the effects.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  10. Re: Satisified Vista user's report on Ubuntu UNIX

    Chris S. illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Well, just to see what the NG Street Fights are about...
    >
    > 1. Downloaded 8.04 x64 version from Argonne Labs... 8 minutes

    Well done.

    > 2. Burned ISO to DVD

    Nice work

    > 3. Booted from DVD

    That's tricky.

    > 4. No native support for Dual Monitor

    As Vista has for both my Samsung Syncmaster and also my Relysis.

    Still I eventually got them working.

    > 5. Butt Ugly!

    Take that mirror away from you arsehole. You're a stange fella.

    > 6. TCP Stack found, Internet OK

    My god. You mean there *is* an internet?

    > 7. Firefox works

    Mine surfs dude. ;-)

    > OK it works....
    >
    > However, clearly little more than a curiosity for me at this point.
    >
    > To be fair I will probably play with and explore it in my spare time.
    >
    > For now back to get some work done with the Vista OS and my Applications.

    Well, Chris Sidener. You're simply curious. In fact, so curious that
    I wonder why you bothered. ;-)

    --
    Moog

    "The G is for the gnarled face of someone who's on ninety thousand
    pounds a week who reckoned he should have had a throw in"

  11. Re: Satisified Vista user's report on Ubuntu UNIX

    On 2008-04-25, Ignoramus14435 wrote:
    > stay away from compizd.

    Why? I have been running it for about 8 months now on my desktop with
    0 issues. I don't have a full slate of desktop effects running, but
    the desktop seems to repond quicker with compiz running than without
    it. And I like the cube...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  12. Re: Satisified Vista user's report on Ubuntu UNIX

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 19:14:07 -0500, Joe wrote:

    > On 2008-04-25, Ignoramus14435
    > wrote:
    >> stay away from compizd.

    > Why? I have been running it for about 8 months now on my desktop with 0
    > issues. I don't have a full slate of desktop effects running, but the
    > desktop seems to repond quicker with compiz running than without it.
    > And I like the cube...

    Seconded. Works wonderfully, my desktop, wife's laptop, work machines,
    etc.

    --
    // This is my opinion.

  13. Re: Satisified Vista user's report on Ubuntu UNIX

    On 2008-04-26, jebblue wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 19:14:07 -0500, Joe wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-04-25, Ignoramus14435
    >> wrote:
    >>> stay away from compizd.

    >> Why? I have been running it for about 8 months now on my desktop with 0
    >> issues. I don't have a full slate of desktop effects running, but the
    >> desktop seems to repond quicker with compiz running than without it.
    >> And I like the cube...

    > Seconded. Works wonderfully, my desktop, wife's laptop, work machines,
    > etc.

    I tried compiz on my desktop, and to my surprise, it works very well.

    I am retracting my comment.
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  14. Re: Satisified Vista user's report on Ubuntu UNIX

    Ignoramus14435 wrote in
    news:BsWdnZ5cN_jDPY_VnZ2dnUVZ_gednZ2d@giganews.com :

    > On 2008-04-26, jebblue wrote:
    >> On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 19:14:07 -0500, Joe wrote:

    >>> Why? I have been running it for about 8 months now on my desktop
    >>> with 0 issues. I don't have a full slate of desktop effects
    >>> running, but the desktop seems to repond quicker with compiz running
    >>> than without it. And I like the cube...

    >> Seconded. Works wonderfully, my desktop, wife's laptop, work
    >> machines, etc.
    >>

    > I tried compiz on my desktop, and to my surprise, it works very well.
    >
    > I am retracting my comment.

    I've got Compiz running, but only use a few effects anyway. I was never
    into the eye candy stuff before, but the few effects I have enabled work
    very well.

    Compiz under Ubuntu works _waaaay_ better than Stardock WindowFX for
    Windows.....(qualification coming)..........at least on this box.

  15. Re: Satisified Vista user's report on Ubuntu UNIX

    I didn't know that Ubuntu had moved into the UNIX market too.

  16. Re: Satisified Vista user's report on Ubuntu UNIX

    "JD" wrote in message
    >I didn't know that Ubuntu had moved into the UNIX market too.

    LINUX IS UNIX.. And UNIX pre-dates it by over 20 years.

    "UNIX, a multi-user, user i.d. operating system that incorporates
    multitasking, originally developed by Ken Thompson and Dennis Ritchie at
    AT&T Bell Laboratories in 1969 for use on minicomputers."

    "LINUX: Computer operating system, the first version of which was written by
    a second-year student of computer science at the University of Helsinki in
    Finland, Linus Torvalds, and was released in 1991."

    Regards, ;-)
    Chris S.

  17. Re: Satisified Vista user's report on Ubuntu UNIX

    For the record: Ubuntu is not UNIX. Ubuntu is Linux; and Linux is not
    UNIX. Linux is a UNIX work alike, but with a completely different kernel -
    and Linux is the kernel.

  18. Re: Satisified Vista user's report on Ubuntu UNIX

    "ray" wrote in message
    > For the record: Ubuntu is not UNIX. Ubuntu is Linux; and Linux is not
    > UNIX. Linux is a UNIX work alike, but with a completely different kernel -
    > and Linux is the kernel.

    "If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...."

    "Works like" is key here......

    Of course creating a "work alike" OS on a completely different platform
    requires a completely different kernel. Porting the early desktop UNIX
    was relatively easy, as the Motorola processors had a very similar
    addressing
    scheme to the PDP's that UNIX was developed on. The Intel scheme had
    /has enormous differences. Torvalds did some remarkable things to
    emulate UNIX on the x86 platform.

    But to me it's still just a version of UNIX. Linus certainly has the right
    to put his name in his project.

    Chris S.
    ;-)

  19. Re: Satisified Vista user's report on Ubuntu UNIX

    Chris S. wrote:

    > "ray" wrote in message
    >> For the record: Ubuntu is not UNIX. Ubuntu is Linux; and Linux is not
    >> UNIX. Linux is a UNIX work alike, but with a completely different
    >> kernel -
    >> and Linux is the kernel.

    > "If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...."
    >
    > "Works like" is key here......
    >
    > Of course creating a "work alike" OS on a completely different platform
    > requires a completely different kernel. Porting the early desktop UNIX
    > was relatively easy, as the Motorola processors had a very similar
    > addressing
    > scheme to the PDP's that UNIX was developed on. The Intel scheme had
    > /has enormous differences. Torvalds did some remarkable things to
    > emulate UNIX on the x86 platform.
    >
    > But to me it's still just a version of UNIX. Linus certainly has the
    > right
    > to put his name in his project.
    >
    > Chris S.
    > ;-)

    Linux is often described as a "clone" of Unix.

    Dolly the sheep was a clone.

    Was Dolly a sheep? ;-)

    --
    John

  20. Re: Satisified Vista user's report on Ubuntu UNIX

    "John F. Morse" wrote in message
    > Chris S. wrote:
    >>
    >> "ray" wrote in message
    >>> For the record: Ubuntu is not UNIX. Ubuntu is Linux; and Linux is not
    >>> UNIX. Linux is a UNIX work alike, but with a completely different
    >>> kernel -
    >>> and Linux is the kernel.

    >> "If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...."
    >>
    >> "Works like" is key here......
    >>
    >> Of course creating a "work alike" OS on a completely different platform
    >> requires a completely different kernel. Porting the early desktop UNIX
    >> was relatively easy, as the Motorola processors had a very similar
    >> addressing
    >> scheme to the PDP's that UNIX was developed on. The Intel scheme had
    >> /has enormous differences. Torvalds did some remarkable things to
    >> emulate UNIX on the x86 platform.
    >>
    >> But to me it's still just a version of UNIX. Linus certainly has the
    >> right
    >> to put his name in his project.
    >>
    >> Chris S.
    >> ;-)

    > Linux is often described as a "clone" of Unix.
    >
    > Dolly the sheep was a clone.
    >
    > Was Dolly a sheep? ;-)
    >

    > --
    > John
    > No Microsoft, Apple, Intel, Trend Micro, nor Ford products were used in
    > the preparation or transmission of this message.
    >
    > The EULA sounds like it was written by a team of lawyers who want to tell
    > me what I can't do. The GPL sounds like it was written by a human being,
    > who wants me to know what I can do.

    Good one, John! ;-)

    Chris S.

+ Reply to Thread