Wrong group, I know, but maybe a RedHat answer? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Wrong group, I know, but maybe a RedHat answer? - Ubuntu ; Since I played a bit with Ubuntu I have this group on my reader. Anyway, at work we have this server: Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 3) Kernel 2.6.9-22.0.2.ELsmp on an i686 I need to do ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

  1. Wrong group, I know, but maybe a RedHat answer?

    Since I played a bit with Ubuntu I have this group on my reader.
    Anyway, at work we have this server:

    Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 3)
    Kernel 2.6.9-22.0.2.ELsmp on an i686

    I need to do some stuff on this box once in a while, and whenever I
    log in, if I make a mistake on the username or password, I can't seem
    to wipe it out. I have to go through the login until it prompts for
    username again. Nothing major, but annoying.

    I'm doing it through an emulator called Reflection but I've tried a
    few others and the same thing happens so I don't think it's an
    emulator thing.

    Anyway, backspace doesn't work and Ctrl-H doesn't work. Can anyone
    please suggest a keystroke that will do a destructive backup on a
    username and/or password?

  2. Re: Wrong group, I know, but maybe a RedHat answer?

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 08:06:45 -0400, dgk wrote:

    > Since I played a bit with Ubuntu I have this group on my reader.
    > Anyway, at work we have this server:
    >
    > Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 3)
    > Kernel 2.6.9-22.0.2.ELsmp on an i686

    Yeah, it would be too much bother for you to add a RHEL group to your
    "reader", huh?

    > I need to do some stuff on this box once in a while, and whenever I
    > log in, if I make a mistake on the username or password, I can't seem
    > to wipe it out. I have to go through the login until it prompts for
    > username again. Nothing major, but annoying.

    The obvious solution is to NOT make a ****ing mistake while typing the
    username and password. Duh.

    > Anyway, backspace doesn't work and Ctrl-H doesn't work. Can anyone
    > please suggest a keystroke that will do a destructive backup on a
    > username and/or password?

    Try the front panel POWER button, Win-droid.

  3. Re: Wrong group, I know, but maybe a RedHat answer?

    dgk wrote:

    > Anyway, backspace doesn't work and Ctrl-H doesn't work. Can anyone
    > please suggest a keystroke that will do a destructive backup on a
    > username and/or password?

    If you enter a wrong username, ctrl-alt backspace will start the login
    all over

    --
    Mike Easter

  4. Re: Wrong group, I know, but maybe a RedHat answer?

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 08:20:30 -0500, Dan C
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 08:06:45 -0400, dgk wrote:
    >
    >> Since I played a bit with Ubuntu I have this group on my reader.
    >> Anyway, at work we have this server:
    >>
    >> Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 3)
    >> Kernel 2.6.9-22.0.2.ELsmp on an i686

    >Yeah, it would be too much bother for you to add a RHEL group to your
    >"reader", huh?
    >
    >> I need to do some stuff on this box once in a while, and whenever I
    >> log in, if I make a mistake on the username or password, I can't seem
    >> to wipe it out. I have to go through the login until it prompts for
    >> username again. Nothing major, but annoying.

    >The obvious solution is to NOT make a ****ing mistake while typing the
    >username and password. Duh.
    >
    >> Anyway, backspace doesn't work and Ctrl-H doesn't work. Can anyone
    >> please suggest a keystroke that will do a destructive backup on a
    >> username and/or password?

    >Try the front panel POWER button, Win-droid.

    Dan C - an African word meaning nasty asshole.

  5. Re: Wrong group, I know, but maybe a RedHat answer?

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 07:05:46 -0700, "Mike Easter"
    wrote:

    >dgk wrote:
    >
    >> Anyway, backspace doesn't work and Ctrl-H doesn't work. Can anyone
    >> please suggest a keystroke that will do a destructive backup on a
    >> username and/or password?

    >If you enter a wrong username, ctrl-alt backspace will start the login
    >all over

    Thanks, that didn't work. It probably has to do with the keyboard
    mapping of the emulator. A lot of this stuff was designed to work on
    VT100s and, well, they seem to be gone. It does work on this system:

    HP-UX cab2.unix-legal-aid.org B.10.20 D 9000/800 (ttyp1)

    using a different (NetManage?) emulator.

  6. Re: Wrong group, I know, but maybe a RedHat answer?

    wrote:

    >On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 08:06:45 -0400, dgk wrote:
    >
    >> Since I played a bit with Ubuntu I have this group on my reader.
    >> Anyway, at work we have this server:
    >>
    >> Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 3)
    >> Kernel 2.6.9-22.0.2.ELsmp on an i686

    >Yeah, it would be too much bother for you to add a RHEL group to your
    >"reader", huh?
    >
    >> I need to do some stuff on this box once in a while, and whenever I
    >> log in, if I make a mistake on the username or password, I can't seem
    >> to wipe it out. I have to go through the login until it prompts for
    >> username again. Nothing major, but annoying.

    >The obvious solution is to NOT make a ****ing mistake while typing the
    >username and password. Duh.
    >
    >> Anyway, backspace doesn't work and Ctrl-H doesn't work. Can anyone
    >> please suggest a keystroke that will do a destructive backup on a
    >> username and/or password?

    >Try the front panel POWER button, Win-droid.

    Sorry about my other post, Dan. I was too quick to be nasty. I didn't
    realize what a beautiful caricature of a flame it was. It has almost
    everything. It has the rant about posting in the wrong newsgroup (even
    though that was mentioned in the header and you could have just
    skipped the message).

    It ignores the fact that, yes, it is a bit of a pain to add a new
    newsgroup to the "reader". First I'd have to find it, then wait while
    Giganews downloads a few hundred thousand messages. Here at work, that
    isn't too quick. All for one topic which is likely the same in all
    flavors of Linux. Maybe it's a bit easier using Pan, but I tried Pan
    and didn't really like it.

    It has a "Win-droid" comment. Cool. Yup, I do use Windows, in fact, I
    like it, even Vista, and make my living programming in DotNet. But, if
    you read closely, you would have noticed that I HAVE Ubuntu on my
    "reader". Could it be that I actually like to look at Ubuntu? (yes,
    but I don't have too much free time since, unlike you, I don't live at
    my parent's house).

    It includes the required disparagement of the original problem; just
    don't ever make a mistake entering a username or password. After all,
    real Ubuntu users never make such an error, only Windoze users make
    typing mistakes. Maybe that's because their brains sometimes run
    faster than their fingers?

    And, of course, if all else fails, we have the power button solution.

    There is a saying that you might (but probably won't) take to heart.
    Being righteous doesn't make you right. Mostly it makes you look 13.

  7. Re: Wrong group, I know, but maybe a RedHat answer?

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 14:51:32 -0400, dgk wrote:

    > don't ever make a mistake entering a username or password. After all,
    > real Ubuntu users never make such an error, only Windoze users make
    > typing mistakes.

    You made it sound like you *frequently* make mistakes entering
    name/password. That makes you just........ lame.

    I bet I haven't done that in at least 500 logins, probably more.

    > There is a saying that you might (but probably won't) take to heart.
    > Being righteous doesn't make you right. Mostly it makes you look 13.

    Yeah, whatever. You're a lamer, and a punk. **** off and go do your
    homework, boy.

  8. Re: Wrong group, I know, but maybe a RedHat answer?

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 14:51:32 -0400, dgk wrote:

    > you look 13.

    Feeding trolls has the same effect.

    As to d/l headers from other groups, try one of the usenet search
    engines, might get lucky and find the message ID to just what you need
    for an answer.

  9. Re: Wrong group, I know, but maybe a RedHat answer?

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.ubuntu, in article
    <92i314t30toos1a2n7nm8dsiehsjejp795@4ax.com>, dgk wrote:

    >Since I played a bit with Ubuntu I have this group on my reader.
    >Anyway, at work we have this server:
    >
    >Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 3)
    >Kernel 2.6.9-22.0.2.ELsmp on an i686

    It's not a Red Hat / Ubuntu question. It's not even a Linux question.
    It's a UNIX question. But some people think their favorite distro
    is unique in the world and so on.

    >I need to do some stuff on this box once in a while, and whenever I
    >log in, if I make a mistake on the username or password, I can't seem
    >to wipe it out.

    Press and hold the control key - press the 'u' key (in other words,
    'Ctrl+U') which wipes out what you've entered in the entire line.

    >Anyway, backspace doesn't work and Ctrl-H doesn't work. Can anyone
    >please suggest a keystroke that will do a destructive backup on a
    >username and/or password?

    Someone noticed a "shoulder surfer" (looking over your shoulder as
    you type your username/password). Usernames generally aren't secret
    as they are also used for email. So this dude entered his password
    like

    bogus_crap.4.score&seben.yeers.ag0.our.4fathers^Ureal.passwd

    and the shoulder surfer didn't know the significance of the ^U, but
    was impressed with the long, hard to remember password. Our devious
    hero started paying a LOT closer attention to the "Last Logged In From"
    messages.

    Old guy

  10. Re: Wrong group, I know, but maybe a RedHat answer?

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 08:06:45 -0400
    dgk wrote:

    [...]
    > Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 3)
    > Kernel 2.6.9-22.0.2.ELsmp on an i686
    >
    > I need to do some stuff on this box once in a while, and whenever I
    > log in, if I make a mistake on the username or password, I can't seem
    > to wipe it out. I have to go through the login until it prompts for
    > username again. Nothing major, but annoying.
    >
    > I'm doing it through an emulator called Reflection but I've tried a
    > few others and the same thing happens so I don't think it's an
    > emulator thing.
    >
    > Anyway, backspace doesn't work and Ctrl-H doesn't work. Can anyone
    > please suggest a keystroke that will do a destructive backup on a
    > username and/or password?

    It is *highly* unlikely this is a Linux problem. Try Ctrl+C to cancel the login
    prompt and get a new one (may or may not work). This is almost always a terminal
    emulator <> keycode problem. Your Reflection terminal emulator does not work
    properly with Linux. The only application I ever used on Windoze that did
    proper terminal emulation on all the Unix and Unix-like platforms I use was
    Kermit 95 from The Kermit Project at Columbia University:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/k95.html

    They have a USENET group they monitor: comp.protocols.kermit.misc

    Of course I only used this application while *at* a client's site as I never use
    anything from Micro$oft for serious business. I do not have any of those
    Micro$oft "operating systems" on any of the PCs here so no need for Kermit 95
    here. IIRC the latest /putty.exe/ works well with Linux but I have no way to
    test that at the moment.

    I am happy to report ssh access from my X desktop using xterm to any of our
    customer's Linux servers works just fine. The backspace key does exactly what
    it should.

    Gene (e-mail: gene \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    Got Rute? http://www.anrdoezrs.net/email-25465...sbn=0130333514
    ERA Computers & Consulting - http://www.eracc.com/
    Preloaded PCs - eComStation, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare

  11. Re: Wrong group, I know, but maybe a RedHat answer?

    dgk wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > It ignores the fact that, yes, it is a bit of a pain to add a new
    > newsgroup to the "reader". First I'd have to find it, then wait
    > while Giganews downloads a few hundred thousand messages. Here at
    > work, that isn't too quick. All for one topic which is likely the
    > same in all flavors of Linux. Maybe it's a bit easier using Pan,
    > but I tried Pan and didn't really like it.

    To me that indicates that you are using the wrong newsreader. For
    example, with Thunderbird you simply open the new newsgroup, and if
    there are more than N (configurable, usually about 100 for me) new
    messages it asks you how many to download, and gives you the option
    of marking those not downloaded as already read. So you can
    configure that attachment as it suits you. The finding is also
    easy.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  12. Re: Wrong group, I know, but maybe a RedHat answer?

    On 2008-04-25, ERACC wrote:

    > Of course I only used this application while *at* a client's site as I never use
    > anything from Micro$oft for serious business. I do not have any of those
    > Micro$oft "operating systems" on any of the PCs here so no need for Kermit 95
    > here. IIRC the latest /putty.exe/ works well with Linux but I have no way to
    > test that at the moment.

    Putty works well, and has the benefit of not needing to be installed.
    Do be careful of character set, though. The default doesn't work
    well. Switch it to UTF-8, and all will work well.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  13. Re: Wrong group, I know, but maybe a RedHat answer?

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 15:06:32 -0500, ibuprofin@painkiller.example.tld
    (Moe Trin) wrote:

    >On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.ubuntu, in article
    ><92i314t30toos1a2n7nm8dsiehsjejp795@4ax.com>, dgk wrote:
    >
    >>Since I played a bit with Ubuntu I have this group on my reader.
    >>Anyway, at work we have this server:
    >>
    >>Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 3)
    >>Kernel 2.6.9-22.0.2.ELsmp on an i686

    >It's not a Red Hat / Ubuntu question. It's not even a Linux question.
    >It's a UNIX question. But some people think their favorite distro
    >is unique in the world and so on.
    >
    >>I need to do some stuff on this box once in a while, and whenever I
    >>log in, if I make a mistake on the username or password, I can't seem
    >>to wipe it out.

    >Press and hold the control key - press the 'u' key (in other words,
    >'Ctrl+U') which wipes out what you've entered in the entire line.
    >
    >>Anyway, backspace doesn't work and Ctrl-H doesn't work. Can anyone
    >>please suggest a keystroke that will do a destructive backup on a
    >>username and/or password?

    >Someone noticed a "shoulder surfer" (looking over your shoulder as
    >you type your username/password). Usernames generally aren't secret
    >as they are also used for email. So this dude entered his password
    >like
    >
    > bogus_crap.4.score&seben.yeers.ag0.our.4fathers^Ureal.passwd
    >
    >and the shoulder surfer didn't know the significance of the ^U, but
    >was impressed with the long, hard to remember password. Our devious
    >hero started paying a LOT closer attention to the "Last Logged In From"
    >messages.
    >
    > Old guy

    Thanks much, Ctrl-U works perfectly.

  14. Re: Wrong group, I know, but maybe a RedHat answer?

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 15:33:12 -0500, ERACC wrote:

    >On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 08:06:45 -0400
    >dgk wrote:
    >
    >[...]
    >> Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 3)
    >> Kernel 2.6.9-22.0.2.ELsmp on an i686
    >>
    >> I need to do some stuff on this box once in a while, and whenever I
    >> log in, if I make a mistake on the username or password, I can't seem
    >> to wipe it out. I have to go through the login until it prompts for
    >> username again. Nothing major, but annoying.
    >>
    >> I'm doing it through an emulator called Reflection but I've tried a
    >> few others and the same thing happens so I don't think it's an
    >> emulator thing.
    >>
    >> Anyway, backspace doesn't work and Ctrl-H doesn't work. Can anyone
    >> please suggest a keystroke that will do a destructive backup on a
    >> username and/or password?

    >It is *highly* unlikely this is a Linux problem. Try Ctrl+C to cancel the login
    >prompt and get a new one (may or may not work). This is almost always a terminal
    >emulator <> keycode problem. Your Reflection terminal emulator does not work
    >properly with Linux. The only application I ever used on Windoze that did
    >proper terminal emulation on all the Unix and Unix-like platforms I use was
    >Kermit 95 from The Kermit Project at Columbia University:
    >
    >http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/k95.html
    >
    >They have a USENET group they monitor: comp.protocols.kermit.misc

    I used that in the past but Reflection really should do it as well. It
    was created by DEC employees and is for UNIX and OpenVMS. So I would
    think that one of the settings isn't right, but Ctrl-U does work so
    I'm not going to waste time just to figure out which one it is. There
    is just that tiny annoyance when I realize that I typed the wrong
    username and have to wait the few seconds while the system realizes
    that the user/pw is wrong, and now I can short circuit that.

    As for hating MS, well, I like MS, I like Linux too but I'm a bit
    short on time to really learn it because, well, I get paid to program
    in DotNet. Which, by the way, is also a lot of fun; I know that most
    folks in this group hate anything associated with MS, but they did a
    great job on DotNet and Visual Studio.

    I also loved Apple Pascal, Turbo Pascal, CICS, VT100 control
    sequences, 360/370 assembler, PDPs, VAXs, and so on. Now I'm spending
    much time learning SharePoint, WPF, Silverlight, etc. Mostly though,
    if it involves computers, I like it.

  15. Re: Wrong group, I know, but maybe a RedHat answer?

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 14:19:52 -0500, Dan C
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 14:51:32 -0400, dgk wrote:
    >

    >> don't ever make a mistake entering a username or password. After all,
    >> real Ubuntu users never make such an error, only Windoze users make
    >> typing mistakes.

    >You made it sound like you *frequently* make mistakes entering
    >name/password. That makes you just........ lame.
    >
    >I bet I haven't done that in at least 500 logins, probably more.
    >
    >> There is a saying that you might (but probably won't) take to heart.
    >> Being righteous doesn't make you right. Mostly it makes you look 13.

    >Yeah, whatever. You're a lamer, and a punk. **** off and go do your
    >homework, boy.

    Ouch. I must have been wrong. You're 14?

  16. Re: Wrong group, I know, but maybe a RedHat answer?

    dgk wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 14:19:52 -0500, Dan C
    > wrote:
    >> You made it sound like you *frequently* make mistakes entering
    >> name/password. That makes you just........ lame.
    >>
    >> I bet I haven't done that in at least 500 logins, probably more.
    >>
    >> Yeah, whatever. You're a lamer, and a punk. **** off and go do your
    >> homework, boy.

    > Ouch. I must have been wrong. You're 14?

    If that. Good chance to try another entry in my kill file.
    Lamer? Punk? Homework?
    Back to adult stuff now.
    Bill Baka

  17. Re: Wrong group, I know, but maybe a RedHat answer?

    On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 10:31:55 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:

    >> Ouch. I must have been wrong. You're 14?

    > If that. Good chance to try another entry in my kill file.

    LOL, yeah. Nothing quite like a couple of ignorant Win-droids dropping
    weak insults in a LINUX newsgroup to get a laugh, eh?

    You're both pathetic. Run along and bother the other toy computer users.

  18. Re: Wrong group, I know, but maybe a RedHat answer?

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 10:31:55 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:
    >
    >>> Ouch. I must have been wrong. You're 14?

    >> If that. Good chance to try another entry in my kill file.

    > LOL, yeah. Nothing quite like a couple of ignorant Win-droids dropping
    > weak insults in a LINUX newsgroup to get a laugh, eh?
    >
    > You're both pathetic. Run along and bother the other toy computer users.

    One more person qualifies.
    Idiot.
    You must need your diaper changed.
    I was using mainframes in the 70's, (when I could get any time), then
    Timex/Sinclairs, Commodores, S-100 bus PC's to run DOS 2.0, a token
    IBM-PC (4.77 MHz was pathetic), OS/2, and the first Linux to come out on
    a CD in 1994, probably all before this poster was even born.
    Back to !work.
    Bill Baka

  19. Re: Wrong group, I know, but maybe a RedHat answer?

    On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 13:00:40 -0500, Dan C
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 10:31:55 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:
    >
    >>> Ouch. I must have been wrong. You're 14?

    >> If that. Good chance to try another entry in my kill file.

    >LOL, yeah. Nothing quite like a couple of ignorant Win-droids dropping
    >weak insults in a LINUX newsgroup to get a laugh, eh?
    >
    >You're both pathetic. Run along and bother the other toy computer users.

    Dan, really, look at some of the other responses and compare them to
    yours. No one insulted Ubuntu or Linux, and in fact I like it. I don't
    get paid to program in it so I do what supports the family. Plus, it's
    fun.

    You, once you stop living at home, will probably have to do the same
    thing. I humbly suggest a less arrogant approach to life if that ever
    becomes the case.

  20. Re: Wrong group, I know, but maybe a RedHat answer?

    Bill Baka wrote:
    > Dan C wrote:

    >>> If that. Good chance to try another entry in my kill file.

    >> LOL, yeah. Nothing quite like a couple of ignorant Win-droids dropping
    >> weak insults in a LINUX newsgroup to get a laugh, eh?
    >>
    >> You're both pathetic. Run along and bother the other toy computer
    >> users.
    >>

    > One more person qualifies.
    > Idiot.
    > You must need your diaper changed.
    > I was using mainframes in the 70's, (when I could get any time), then
    > Timex/Sinclairs, Commodores, S-100 bus PC's to run DOS 2.0, a token
    > IBM-PC (4.77 MHz was pathetic), OS/2, and the first Linux to come out
    > on a CD in 1994, probably all before this poster was even born.
    > Back to !work.
    > Bill Baka

    Likely also before his momma was born.

    --