problems updating from 7.10 to 8.04 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on problems updating from 7.10 to 8.04 - Ubuntu ; Hi u all I'm trying to update me Ubuntu distro on both the laptp and the desktop PCs .. Whatever I do, the update stalls . I've tried internet upgrade , it stops downloading file 1174 of 2225 ( not ...

  1. problems updating from 7.10 to 8.04

    Hi u all

    I'm trying to update me Ubuntu distro on both the laptp and the desktop PCs
    .. Whatever I do, the update stalls . I've tried internet upgrade , it stops
    downloading file 1174 of 2225 ( not sure for the 2nd ). I've downloaded
    and burned an iso image, and still the same thing happen . This happens on
    both PCs .
    Any iddea ?
    thanks a lot,
    jf

  2. Re: problems updating from 7.10 to 8.04

    jef_m wrote:
    > Hi u all
    >
    > I'm trying to update me Ubuntu distro on both the laptp and the desktop PCs
    > . Whatever I do, the update stalls . I've tried internet upgrade , it stops
    > downloading file 1174 of 2225 ( not sure for the 2nd ). I've downloaded
    > and burned an iso image, and still the same thing happen . This happens on
    > both PCs .
    > Any iddea ?

    I couldn't update my HP touchsmart PC to 8.04 either. (amd 64) tried
    on-line update and the thing stopped as you found.
    Tried a format and fresh from disk screen got to having ubuntu in
    several places and the "timer bar" dottedaround the screen then hung.

    went back to 7.10 64 version and flew through no problems.

    Glad it is only a "spare" OS for me at this moment!

  3. Re: problems updating from 7.10 to 8.04

    Le Fri, 25 Apr 2008 11:30:36 +0400, jef_m a écrit:

    > Hi u all
    >
    > I'm trying to update me Ubuntu distro on both the laptp and the desktop
    > PCs . Whatever I do, the update stalls . I've tried internet upgrade ,
    > it stops downloading file 1174 of 2225 ( not sure for the 2nd ). I've
    > downloaded and burned an iso image, and still the same thing happen .
    > This happens on both PCs .
    > Any iddea ?
    > thanks a lot,
    > jf

    Finally, it is OK on the laptop ! What have I done...? Oh, I don't know
    if it has sthing to do with that, but I've changed my settings in the
    synaptics package manager, and launched again the update process from the
    CD .When it asked if I wanted it to look on internet for updates,
    answered "yes" ( I had already tried that before ) , and this time, it
    worked .
    I'm now with the 8.04, and I hope it is worth the time spent for the
    update .
    cu,
    jf

  4. Re: problems updating from 7.10 to 8.04

    jef_m wrote:

    > Hi u all
    >
    > I'm trying to update me Ubuntu distro on both the laptp and the desktop
    > PCs . Whatever I do, the update stalls . I've tried internet upgrade , it
    > stops downloading file 1174 of 2225 ( not sure for the 2nd ). I've
    > downloaded and burned an iso image, and still the same thing happen . This
    > happens on both PCs .
    > Any iddea ?
    > thanks a lot,
    > jf

    I'm trying to do an online update to go from 8.04RC to 8.04, but at a
    certain point it quits, telling me I'm already running the latest version.
    Anyone know how to proceed?

    Thanks,
    Marc

  5. Re: problems updating from 7.10 to 8.04

    On 2008-04-25, Marc wrote:
    > jef_m wrote:
    >
    >> Hi u all
    >>
    >> I'm trying to update me Ubuntu distro on both the laptp and the desktop
    >> PCs . Whatever I do, the update stalls . I've tried internet upgrade , it
    >> stops downloading file 1174 of 2225 ( not sure for the 2nd ). I've
    >> downloaded and burned an iso image, and still the same thing happen . This
    >> happens on both PCs .
    >> Any iddea ?
    >> thanks a lot,
    >> jf

    > I'm trying to do an online update to go from 8.04RC to 8.04, but at a
    > certain point it quits, telling me I'm already running the latest version.
    > Anyone know how to proceed?

    You are at the latest version!

    You do not need to upgrade to a new version.

    All you need is keep your packages up to date.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  6. Re: problems updating from 7.10 to 8.04

    Ignoramus14435 wrote:

    > On 2008-04-25, Marc wrote:
    >> jef_m wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi u all
    >>>
    >>> I'm trying to update me Ubuntu distro on both the laptp and the desktop
    >>> PCs . Whatever I do, the update stalls . I've tried internet upgrade ,
    >>> it stops downloading file 1174 of 2225 ( not sure for the 2nd ). I've
    >>> downloaded and burned an iso image, and still the same thing happen .
    >>> This happens on both PCs .
    >>> Any iddea ?
    >>> thanks a lot,
    >>> jf

    >> I'm trying to do an online update to go from 8.04RC to 8.04, but at a
    >> certain point it quits, telling me I'm already running the latest
    >> version. Anyone know how to proceed?

    > You are at the latest version!
    >
    > You do not need to upgrade to a new version.
    >
    > All you need is keep your packages up to date.

    That can't be true: I only did the online update from 7.10 to 8.04RC, but
    after that I didn't do any updating anymore......

  7. Re: problems updating from 7.10 to 8.04

    On 2008-04-25, Marc wrote:
    > Ignoramus14435 wrote:

    >>> I'm trying to do an online update to go from 8.04RC to 8.04, but at a
    >>> certain point it quits, telling me I'm already running the latest
    >>> version. Anyone know how to proceed?

    >> You are at the latest version!
    >>
    >> You do not need to upgrade to a new version.
    >>
    >> All you need is keep your packages up to date.
    >>

    > That can't be true: I only did the online update from 7.10 to 8.04RC, but
    > after that I didn't do any updating anymore......

    Your version is 8.04.

    It was called 8.04RC a few days ago, now it is 8.04 proper. A while
    ago it was called 8.04 alpha.

    At this point you simply need to update your system with regular daily
    updates, to keep it up to date.

    I installed it when it was alpha and since then, I only update
    packages.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  8. Re: problems updating from 7.10 to 8.04

    Marc wrote:

    > Ignoramus14435 wrote:

    >>> I'm trying to do an online update to go from 8.04RC to 8.04, but at a
    >>> certain point it quits, telling me I'm already running the latest
    >>> version. Anyone know how to proceed?

    >> You are at the latest version!
    >>
    >> You do not need to upgrade to a new version.
    >>
    >> All you need is keep your packages up to date.
    >>

    > That can't be true: I only did the online update from 7.10 to 8.04RC, but
    > after that I didn't do any updating anymore......

    Hhhmmm....just pushed the "send" button to quickly I guess. Are you saying
    that going from 8.04RC to 8.04 is not a distribution update but just a
    matter of updating packages?

  9. Re: problems updating from 7.10 to 8.04

    Marc wrote:

    > Marc wrote:
    >
    >> Ignoramus14435 wrote:

    >>> You are at the latest version!
    >>>
    >>> You do not need to upgrade to a new version.
    >>>
    >>> All you need is keep your packages up to date.
    >>>

    >> That can't be true: I only did the online update from 7.10 to 8.04RC, but
    >> after that I didn't do any updating anymore......

    > Hhhmmm....just pushed the "send" button to quickly I guess. Are you saying
    > that going from 8.04RC to 8.04 is not a distribution update but just a
    > matter of updating packages?

    Considering your almost simultaneous answer to my previous question, I take
    that as a "yes". ;-)

    Thanks for your help!

  10. Re: problems updating from 7.10 to 8.04

    On 2008-04-25, Marc wrote:
    > Marc wrote:
    >
    >> Ignoramus14435 wrote:

    >>> You are at the latest version!
    >>>
    >>> You do not need to upgrade to a new version.
    >>>
    >>> All you need is keep your packages up to date.
    >>>

    >> That can't be true: I only did the online update from 7.10 to 8.04RC, but
    >> after that I didn't do any updating anymore......

    > Hhhmmm....just pushed the "send" button to quickly I guess. Are you saying
    > that going from 8.04RC to 8.04 is not a distribution update but just a
    > matter of updating packages?

    Yes.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  11. Re: problems updating from 7.10 to 8.04

    On 2008-04-25, Marc wrote:

    > That can't be true: I only did the online update from 7.10 to 8.04RC, but
    > after that I didn't do any updating anymore......

    Were you doing the normal daily updates? If so, that is it. You do
    not "upgrade" from an RC to a final release. Just let update manager
    run normally, and you get the final release before it is actually
    released.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

+ Reply to Thread