E-mail and sync - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on E-mail and sync - Ubuntu ; I've just started using Ubuntu 8.4 and was debating between Thunderbird and Evolution when it occurred to me that I hadn't asked if there's a problem with either or them if one wants to sync with a handheld. My understanding ...

  1. E-mail and sync

    I've just started using Ubuntu 8.4 and was debating between Thunderbird
    and Evolution when it occurred to me that I hadn't asked if there's a
    problem with either or them if one wants to sync with a handheld. My
    understanding is that Palm's are compatible with Linux but I don't know
    anyone who uses both.

    As I'm totally new to it, I've not yet gotten "married" to anything and
    don't mind having to use a particular e-mail program.

    Thanks

  2. Re: E-mail and sync

    Bada bing Tim Mathews bada bang:
    > I've just started using Ubuntu 8.4 and was debating between Thunderbird
    > and Evolution when it occurred to me that I hadn't asked if there's a
    > problem with either or them if one wants to sync with a handheld. My
    > understanding is that Palm's are compatible with Linux but I don't know
    > anyone who uses both.

    I'm not sure if there is a question here, but Palm PDAs can sync
    with Kubuntu running Kontact or just Kpilot. I do it all the
    time.

    > As I'm totally new to it, I've not yet gotten "married" to anything and
    > don't mind having to use a particular e-mail program.

    When you take the plunge, I'm sure you will both be very happy
    together. But there's no reason to stop playing the field yet.

    Mike "probably easier with Hardy than Fiesty" Yetto
    --
    Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitas.
    - William of Ockham

  3. Re: E-mail and sync

    On 2008-04-25, Mike Yetto wrote:
    > Bada bing Tim Mathews bada bang:
    >> I've just started using Ubuntu 8.4 and was debating between Thunderbird
    >> and Evolution when it occurred to me that I hadn't asked if there's a
    >> problem with either or them if one wants to sync with a handheld. My
    >> understanding is that Palm's are compatible with Linux but I don't know
    >> anyone who uses both.

    > I'm not sure if there is a question here, but Palm PDAs can sync
    > with Kubuntu running Kontact or just Kpilot. I do it all the
    > time.

    Do you use the cable or Bluetooth? I couldn't get Bluetooth working
    but haven't tried the cable on my T|X.

    --
    -Toby

  4. Re: E-mail and sync

    On 2008-04-25, Toby Newman wrote:
    > On 2008-04-25, Mike Yetto wrote:
    >> Bada bing Tim Mathews bada bang:
    >>> I've just started using Ubuntu 8.4 and was debating between Thunderbird
    >>> and Evolution when it occurred to me that I hadn't asked if there's a
    >>> problem with either or them if one wants to sync with a handheld. My
    >>> understanding is that Palm's are compatible with Linux but I don't know
    >>> anyone who uses both.

    >> I'm not sure if there is a question here, but Palm PDAs can sync
    >> with Kubuntu running Kontact or just Kpilot. I do it all the
    >> time.

    > Do you use the cable or Bluetooth? I couldn't get Bluetooth working
    > but haven't tried the cable on my T|X.

    For any and all bluetooth issues, I highly recommend Blueman bluetooth
    manager. It is very easy to use, and has allowed me to use devices
    that I couldn't get running, no matter how hard I tried, with the
    stock utils.

    http://blueman.tuxfamily.org/

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  5. Re: E-mail and sync

    Bada bing Toby Newman bada bang:
    > On 2008-04-25, Mike Yetto wrote:
    >> Bada bing Tim Mathews bada bang:
    >>> I've just started using Ubuntu 8.4 and was debating between Thunderbird
    >>> and Evolution when it occurred to me that I hadn't asked if there's a
    >>> problem with either or them if one wants to sync with a handheld. My
    >>> understanding is that Palm's are compatible with Linux but I don't know
    >>> anyone who uses both.

    >> I'm not sure if there is a question here, but Palm PDAs can sync
    >> with Kubuntu running Kontact or just Kpilot. I do it all the
    >> time.

    > Do you use the cable or Bluetooth? I couldn't get Bluetooth working
    > but haven't tried the cable on my T|X.

    I use a USB cable to connect a SONY Clie. The Ubuntu forums were
    very helpful, but you will have different problems with a T|X
    than I had.

    Mike "maybe more, maybe less of them" Yetto
    --
    Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitas.
    - William of Ockham

  6. Re: E-mail and sync

    On 2008-04-24, Tim Mathews wrote:
    > I've just started using Ubuntu 8.4 and was debating between Thunderbird
    > and Evolution when it occurred to me that I hadn't asked if there's a
    > problem with either or them if one wants to sync with a handheld. My
    > understanding is that Palm's are compatible with Linux but I don't know
    > anyone who uses both.
    >
    > As I'm totally new to it, I've not yet gotten "married" to anything and
    > don't mind having to use a particular e-mail program.
    >
    > Thanks

    I was able to sync up a Palm T|X with gnome. It's a bit tricky but
    works fine and syncs up greate with Evolution. Unfortunantly, I'm
    using a Dell now and it has Windows CE and I haven't found a solution
    to allow it to sync up with Ubuntu.

    --
    * I am the walrus. *
    * RLU 451587 *