7.10-i386 -> 8.04-amd64 upgrade dilemma - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on 7.10-i386 -> 8.04-amd64 upgrade dilemma - Ubuntu ; Can 7.10-i386 kubuntu be upgraded to 8.04-amd64 (complete not just the kernel) ? I've run off the 8.04-amd64 build released today and it works well. I think it's a little more snappy even running of the CD. Or shud I ...

  1. 7.10-i386 -> 8.04-amd64 upgrade dilemma

    Can 7.10-i386 kubuntu be upgraded to 8.04-amd64 (complete not
    just the kernel) ?

    I've run off the 8.04-amd64 build released today and it works well.
    I think it's a little more snappy even running of the CD.

    Or shud I just do a clean install of 8.04-amd64 and migrate all my
    junk over? There are a couple minor issues I have in 7.10-i386 that would
    be rectified with a clean install. 8.04-amd64 can be installed on a drive
    separate from currently installed 7.10.

    ta

  2. Re: 7.10-i386 -> 8.04-amd64 upgrade dilemma

    On 2008-04-24, Meat Plow wrote:
    > Can 7.10-i386 kubuntu be upgraded to 8.04-amd64 (complete not
    > just the kernel) ?
    >
    > I've run off the 8.04-amd64 build released today and it works well.
    > I think it's a little more snappy even running of the CD.
    >
    > Or shud I just do a clean install of 8.04-amd64 and migrate all my
    > junk over? There are a couple minor issues I have in 7.10-i386 that would
    > be rectified with a clean install. 8.04-amd64 can be installed on a drive
    > separate from currently installed 7.10.

    I would do a clean install on a separate drive. Write down all
    commands that you do to make a reinstall script for the future.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  3. Re: 7.10-i386 -> 8.04-amd64 upgrade dilemma

    On 2008-04-24, Meat Plow wrote:
    > Can 7.10-i386 kubuntu be upgraded to 8.04-amd64 (complete not
    > just the kernel) ?
    >
    > I've run off the 8.04-amd64 build released today and it works well.
    > I think it's a little more snappy even running of the CD.
    >
    > Or shud I just do a clean install of 8.04-amd64 and migrate all my
    > junk over? There are a couple minor issues I have in 7.10-i386 that would
    > be rectified with a clean install. 8.04-amd64 can be installed on a drive
    > separate from currently installed 7.10.
    >
    > ta

    wow, that sound like horrible complications would come from that,
    backup configurations and home folders, and do a fresh install.

    vb

  4. Re: 7.10-i386 -> 8.04-amd64 upgrade dilemma

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 16:22:55 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    > Or shud I just do a clean install of 8.04-amd64 and migrate all my junk
    > over?

    Do a clean install but use a 6 or 7 gig partition as '/' and make a much
    bigger partition /home. Then at the next upgrade you reformat '/' but
    keep '/home' with all your settings and files intact. I /really/ don't
    know why this isn't default.

  5. Re: 7.10-i386 -> 8.04-amd64 upgrade dilemma

    Meat Plow wrote:

    > Can 7.10-i386 kubuntu be upgraded to 8.04-amd64 (complete not
    > just the kernel) ?

    No.

    > Or shud I just do a clean install of 8.04-amd64 and migrate all my
    > junk over?

    Yes.

    de Kameel

  6. Re: 7.10-i386 -> 8.04-amd64 upgrade dilemma

    Meat Plow wrote:

    > Can 7.10-i386 kubuntu be upgraded to 8.04-amd64 (complete not
    > just the kernel) ?

    I don't know whether that would be possible because every package would
    have to be upgraded. The only 32-bit libraries that x64 uses are kept
    in a separate directory from the 64-bit libraries.

    > I've run off the 8.04-amd64 build released today and it works well.
    > I think it's a little more snappy even running of the CD.

    I'm running Ubuntu x64 on my laptop and desktop machines, both with dual
    core processors. The performance is amazing. I can't get old games
    ported with the Loki installer to install properly yet. I might have to
    make a 32-bit chroot environment and run them from there.

    I borrowed an NVidia GeForce 8800GT from work so I'm going to see how
    that compares with my onboard NVidia 6100.

    > Or shud I just do a clean install of 8.04-amd64 and migrate all my
    > junk over? There are a couple minor issues I have in 7.10-i386 that would
    > be rectified with a clean install. 8.04-amd64 can be installed on a drive
    > separate from currently installed 7.10.

    I'd do a clean install and migrate.

  7. Re: 7.10-i386 -> 8.04-amd64 upgrade dilemma

    Btw., I heartily recommend 64-bit Google Earth

  8. Re: 7.10-i386 -> 8.04-amd64 upgrade dilemma

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 16:22:55 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    > Can 7.10-i386 kubuntu be upgraded to 8.04-amd64 (complete not just the
    > kernel) ?
    >
    > I've run off the 8.04-amd64 build released today and it works well. I
    > think it's a little more snappy even running of the CD.
    >
    > Or shud I just do a clean install of 8.04-amd64 and migrate all my junk
    > over? There are a couple minor issues I have in 7.10-i386 that would be
    > rectified with a clean install. 8.04-amd64 can be installed on a drive
    > separate from currently installed 7.10.
    >
    > ta

    I would not upgrade for now. I have a production AMD64 along with a test
    one. Upgrading has some annoying issues, and no extra functionality,
    really.

    --
    Jerry Maguire: Help me... help you. Help me, help you. ;-)

  9. Re: 7.10-i386 -> 8.04-amd64 upgrade dilemma

    Derek Turner wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 16:22:55 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:
    >

    >> Or shud I just do a clean install of 8.04-amd64 and migrate all my junk
    >> over?

    > Do a clean install but use a 6 or 7 gig partition as '/' and make a much
    > bigger partition /home. Then at the next upgrade you reformat '/' but
    > keep '/home' with all your settings and files intact. I /really/ don't
    > know why this isn't default.

    I don't know about you guys but I have copied all my data from my 7.10
    to DVD-RW's and will do a clean install once I get it downloaded and
    burned to a DVD-RW. A 6 or 7 gig '/' can be filled up in about a week as
    I have found out. If you want to break the rules and try something I
    installed everything into one big 100 gig Rieserfs (sp?) just to see how
    it would work and it did not complain. The swap just went into my 2 gigs
    of RAM and I didn't have any trouble.
    The DVD-RW thing has worked out good for me since I can rotate DVD disks
    and always have one burned with the latest, and no coasters left over.
    Also no digging through a ton of CD's any more.
    Now, somebody tell me why I am doing something wrong or if the single
    100 gig file thing is due to blow up in my face????
    Bill Baka

  10. Re: 7.10-i386 -> 8.04-amd64 upgrade dilemma

    On 2008-04-24, Meat Plow wrote:
    > Can 7.10-i386 kubuntu be upgraded to 8.04-amd64 (complete not
    > just the kernel) ?
    >
    > I've run off the 8.04-amd64 build released today and it works well.
    > I think it's a little more snappy even running of the CD.
    >
    > Or shud I just do a clean install of 8.04-amd64 and migrate all my
    > junk over? There are a couple minor issues I have in 7.10-i386 that would
    > be rectified with a clean install. 8.04-amd64 can be installed on a drive
    > separate from currently installed 7.10.

    Just install it fresh and restore your home directory. To ensure that
    you don't bring too many of your issues over, just restore the parts
    of the home directory you need, and let the new OS use it's standard
    settings to start...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  11. Re: 7.10-i386 -> 8.04-amd64 upgrade dilemma

    On 2008-04-24, Bill Baka wrote:
    > Derek Turner wrote:
    >> On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 16:22:55 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:
    >>

    >>> Or shud I just do a clean install of 8.04-amd64 and migrate all my junk
    >>> over?

    >> Do a clean install but use a 6 or 7 gig partition as '/' and make a much
    >> bigger partition /home. Then at the next upgrade you reformat '/' but
    >> keep '/home' with all your settings and files intact. I /really/ don't
    >> know why this isn't default.

    > I don't know about you guys but I have copied all my data from my 7.10
    > to DVD-RW's and will do a clean install once I get it downloaded and
    > burned to a DVD-RW. A 6 or 7 gig '/' can be filled up in about a week as
    > I have found out. If you want to break the rules and try something I
    > installed everything into one big 100 gig Rieserfs (sp?) just to see how
    > it would work and it did not complain. The swap just went into my 2 gigs
    > of RAM and I didn't have any trouble.
    > The DVD-RW thing has worked out good for me since I can rotate DVD disks
    > and always have one burned with the latest, and no coasters left over.
    > Also no digging through a ton of CD's any more.
    > Now, somebody tell me why I am doing something wrong or if the single
    > 100 gig file thing is due to blow up in my face????
    > Bill Baka

    A 6 or 7 GB / will never fill up if you partition the drive properly.

    You should be saving any files you download to /home/bill (or
    whatever), so nothing to fill that 6 or 7 gigs there.

    Logs and such should be in /var/log, I usually use a separate 4-6GB
    /var, so no issue there.

    My / partition is 10GB, but has 4.6 GB free after 6 months.
    /var is 6GB, 4.6GB Free
    and I use a separate /tmp. It is set at 20GB (When transposing a lot
    of video to DVD, this gets heavily used), but currently has 19.9 free.

    /home is all the remaining drive space, usually. On this system, I do
    a lot of torrents, so I have a /torrent partition with a 100GB
    ReiserFS set up, and the remaining is to /home.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  12. Thanks for the answers (was Re: 7.10-i386 -> 8.04-amd64 upgrade dilemma

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 16:22:55 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    > Can 7.10-i386 kubuntu be upgraded to 8.04-amd64 (complete not
    > just the kernel) ?
    >
    > I've run off the 8.04-amd64 build released today and it works well.
    > I think it's a little more snappy even running of the CD.
    >
    > Or shud I just do a clean install of 8.04-amd64 and migrate all my
    > junk over? There are a couple minor issues I have in 7.10-i386 that would
    > be rectified with a clean install. 8.04-amd64 can be installed on a drive
    > separate from currently installed 7.10.
    >
    > ta

    Ok all my questions were answered/confirmed. I've re-sized my 500 gig NTFS
    eSATA to allow half for the new operating system. If I'm satisfied with
    the 64 bit version I'll work on migrating my apps which are maybe only a
    dozen frequent used. All the data/bins/crap live on the 500 anyway. The
    internal is 50/50 Kubuntu/XP 320 gig SATA. Yeh I know that's a lot of
    storage but some of my audio/video production projects eat up many
    gigs. I'm hoping to replace the single core Athlon64 with a dual core in
    the future as this MSI mobo supports several upgrade options and I need
    faster video render/demux times.

    ta

  13. Re: Thanks for the answers (was Re: 7.10-i386 -> 8.04-amd64 upgrade dilemma

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 22:06:50 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 16:22:55 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:
    >
    >> Can 7.10-i386 kubuntu be upgraded to 8.04-amd64 (complete not
    >> just the kernel) ?
    >>
    >> I've run off the 8.04-amd64 build released today and it works well.
    >> I think it's a little more snappy even running of the CD.
    >>
    >> Or shud I just do a clean install of 8.04-amd64 and migrate all my
    >> junk over? There are a couple minor issues I have in 7.10-i386 that would
    >> be rectified with a clean install. 8.04-amd64 can be installed on a drive
    >> separate from currently installed 7.10.
    >>
    >> ta

    > Ok all my questions were answered/confirmed. I've re-sized my 500 gig NTFS
    > eSATA to allow half for the new operating system. If I'm satisfied with
    > the 64 bit version I'll work on migrating my apps which are maybe only a
    > dozen frequent used. All the data/bins/crap live on the 500 anyway. The
    > internal is 50/50 Kubuntu/XP 320 gig SATA. Yeh I know that's a lot of
    > storage but some of my audio/video production projects eat up many
    > gigs. I'm hoping to replace the single core Athlon64 with a dual core in
    > the future as this MSI mobo supports several upgrade options and I need
    > faster video render/demux times.
    >
    > ta

    Well the repositories are swamped. Install off CD was flawless. Odd tho
    that the partition tool wanted to format the swap space on both sda and
    sdb and 8.04 uses both as they are both enabled. MBR and grub loads from
    sdb. 8.04/64 is definitely more snappy. No errors seen in dmesg. Once the
    repositories are less swamped I'll add all the ubuntustudio stuff I need.

  14. Re: 7.10-i386 -> 8.04-amd64 upgrade dilemma

    On 24 Apr 2008 20:35:11 GMT, Derek Turner wrote:

    >On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 16:22:55 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:
    >

    >> Or shud I just do a clean install of 8.04-amd64 and migrate all my junk
    >> over?

    >Do a clean install but use a 6 or 7 gig partition as '/' and make a much
    >bigger partition /home. Then at the next upgrade you reformat '/' but
    >keep '/home' with all your settings and files intact. I /really/ don't
    >know why this isn't default.

    I did that and I think I still screwed up. I wasn't smart enough to
    tell install that my /home was actually /home. (ie left the name
    blank) This is another spot I think that is weak in the installer;
    wouldn't it be a good idea to keep the mount point of an existing
    partition? At any rate I decided to reinstall and name the home
    partion. In both instances I got Error 22: No such partition, which
    is quite similar to catch 22 since it doesn't say which partiton there
    is no such of. This is a dual boot with windoze xp, so I tried
    rebooting windoze which gave me NTLDR is missing, so I guess I borked
    the master boot record. Seems to me someone has already answered this
    but I can't find the answer Do I have to reinstall the M$ POS or
    can I recover the MBR without the pain? Unfortunately I have one
    *very* important program that requires windoze Thanks for any help.

    Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226

  15. Re: 7.10-i386 -> 8.04-amd64 upgrade dilemma

    Joe wrote:
    > On 2008-04-24, Bill Baka wrote:
    >> Derek Turner wrote:

    >>> Do a clean install but use a 6 or 7 gig partition as '/' and make a much
    >>> bigger partition /home. Then at the next upgrade you reformat '/' but
    >>> keep '/home' with all your settings and files intact. I /really/ don't
    >>> know why this isn't default.

    >> I don't know about you guys but I have copied all my data from my 7.10
    >> to DVD-RW's and will do a clean install once I get it downloaded and
    >> burned to a DVD-RW. A 6 or 7 gig '/' can be filled up in about a week as
    >> I have found out. If you want to break the rules and try something I
    >> installed everything into one big 100 gig Rieserfs (sp?) just to see how
    >> it would work and it did not complain. The swap just went into my 2 gigs
    >> of RAM and I didn't have any trouble.
    >> The DVD-RW thing has worked out good for me since I can rotate DVD disks
    >> and always have one burned with the latest, and no coasters left over.
    >> Also no digging through a ton of CD's any more.
    >> Now, somebody tell me why I am doing something wrong or if the single
    >> 100 gig file thing is due to blow up in my face????
    >> Bill Baka

    > A 6 or 7 GB / will never fill up if you partition the drive properly.

    I did do one install with a 4 GB /, no swap (RAM), and the other 96 GB
    for /home/bill.

    > You should be saving any files you download to /home/bill (or
    > whatever), so nothing to fill that 6 or 7 gigs there.

    Roger that, but the downloads went into / for some reason, which is
    probably my fault for missing a setting during the install.

    > Logs and such should be in /var/log, I usually use a separate 4-6GB
    > /var, so no issue there.

    Ditto, no problem with logs,lots of data but not enough to fill up.

    > My / partition is 10GB, but has 4.6 GB free after 6 months.
    > /var is 6GB, 4.6GB Free
    > and I use a separate /tmp. It is set at 20GB (When transposing a lot
    > of video to DVD, this gets heavily used), but currently has 19.9 free.

    That is close to what I am doing with video, but it is easier to just
    watch it on the computer than to burn a DVD.

    > /home is all the remaining drive space, usually. On this system, I do
    > a lot of torrents, so I have a /torrent partition with a 100GB
    > ReiserFS set up, and the remaining is to /home.

    I do a lot of torrents too, either Ktorrent or utorrent under wine,
    mostly television shows I missed for some reason or another.
    With high speed 'relatively' cable I can download about 2 GB per hour at
    7.75 Mbps, and I installed a lot of fluff from the repositories to mess
    with. I'm still at a partial loss on the file systems though, as I read
    that ReiserFS is faster than the others by about 10-15 times???
    This computer gets zero, well about 1% work duty and is a play platform
    for Ubuntu, XP, (Vista will never blemish my screen), Debian, Suse,
    Mandrake/Mandriva, and more.
    While I'm here I should point out that I just got System Commander to
    sit on top of the boot pile and they warned not to even think about
    Linspire since it eats things. The company also warned that Vista will
    definitely munch other systems including older Windoze.
    Maybe that could become a new topic, like what is really the best way to
    partition and what file systems to use.
    I just got 8.04 downloaded and will be burning a DVD tomorrow, so....
    Wish me luck.
    Bill Baka

  16. Re: 7.10-i386 -> 8.04-amd64 upgrade dilemma

    Roy Strachan wrote:
    > On 24 Apr 2008 20:35:11 GMT, Derek Turner wrote:
    >
    >> Do a clean install but use a 6 or 7 gig partition as '/' and make a much
    >> bigger partition /home. Then at the next upgrade you reformat '/' but
    >> keep '/home' with all your settings and files intact. I /really/ don't
    >> know why this isn't default.

    > I did that and I think I still screwed up. I wasn't smart enough to
    > tell install that my /home was actually /home. (ie left the name
    > blank) This is another spot I think that is weak in the installer;
    > wouldn't it be a good idea to keep the mount point of an existing
    > partition? At any rate I decided to reinstall and name the home
    > partion. In both instances I got Error 22: No such partition, which
    > is quite similar to catch 22 since it doesn't say which partiton there
    > is no such of. This is a dual boot with windoze xp, so I tried
    > rebooting windoze which gave me NTLDR is missing, so I guess I borked
    > the master boot record.

    NTLDR is not in the MBR but is a file in the top level of the boot
    drive, C: to XP, and it has happened to me too.

    Seems to me someone has already answered this
    > but I can't find the answer Do I have to reinstall the M$ POS or
    > can I recover the MBR without the pain? Unfortunately I have one
    > *very* important program that requires windoze Thanks for any help.

    I can offer this tidbit. Buy (steal?) a copy of System Commander version
    9.0 or better and get real cozy with the manual so you can make a
    bulletproof multi-boot. It even has a list of most OS's ever on the
    planet, but only says 'Linux' and does not break down the hundred or so
    distro's. Only Linspire is known to break it.
    Other than that program I have never gotten MS stuff, GRUB, and LILO to
    play nice with each other.
    "The possibilities are endless." Spock.

    > Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226

    Bill Baka, unregistered, unlicensed, user #????

  17. Re: 7.10-i386 -> 8.04-amd64 upgrade dilemma

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 22:41:05 -0700, Bill Baka
    wrote:

    >Roy Strachan wrote:
    >> On 24 Apr 2008 20:35:11 GMT, Derek Turner wrote:
    >>
    >>> Do a clean install but use a 6 or 7 gig partition as '/' and make a much
    >>> bigger partition /home. Then at the next upgrade you reformat '/' but
    >>> keep '/home' with all your settings and files intact. I /really/ don't
    >>> know why this isn't default.

    >> I did that and I think I still screwed up. I wasn't smart enough to
    >> tell install that my /home was actually /home. (ie left the name
    >> blank) This is another spot I think that is weak in the installer;
    >> wouldn't it be a good idea to keep the mount point of an existing
    >> partition? At any rate I decided to reinstall and name the home
    >> partion. In both instances I got Error 22: No such partition, which
    >> is quite similar to catch 22 since it doesn't say which partiton there
    >> is no such of. This is a dual boot with windoze xp, so I tried
    >> rebooting windoze which gave me NTLDR is missing, so I guess I borked
    >> the master boot record.

    >NTLDR is not in the MBR but is a file in the top level of the boot
    >drive, C: to XP, and it has happened to me too.
    >
    > Seems to me someone has already answered this
    >> but I can't find the answer Do I have to reinstall the M$ POS or
    >> can I recover the MBR without the pain? Unfortunately I have one
    >> *very* important program that requires windoze Thanks for any help.

    >I can offer this tidbit. Buy (steal?) a copy of System Commander version
    >9.0 or better and get real cozy with the manual so you can make a
    >bulletproof multi-boot. It even has a list of most OS's ever on the
    >planet, but only says 'Linux' and does not break down the hundred or so
    >distro's. Only Linspire is known to break it.
    >Other than that program I have never gotten MS stuff, GRUB, and LILO to
    >play nice with each other.

    They have played nice for me on 7.04 and 7.10 but I never tried a less
    than complete install before. The idea of spending $70.00 to run
    windoze just goes agains the grain. I guess that would pay my time to
    reinstall. BG crapware

    >"The possibilities are endless." Spock.
    >>

    >> Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226

    >Bill Baka, unregistered, unlicensed, user #????

    Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226

  18. Re: 7.10-i386 -> 8.04-amd64 upgrade dilemma

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 06:42:31 GMT, Roy Strachan wrote:

    >On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 22:41:05 -0700, Bill Baka
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Roy Strachan wrote:
    >>> On 24 Apr 2008 20:35:11 GMT, Derek Turner wrote:
    >>>

    >>I can offer this tidbit. Buy (steal?) a copy of System Commander version
    >>9.0 or better and get real cozy with the manual so you can make a
    >>bulletproof multi-boot. It even has a list of most OS's ever on the
    >>planet, but only says 'Linux' and does not break down the hundred or so
    >>distro's. Only Linspire is known to break it.
    >>Other than that program I have never gotten MS stuff, GRUB, and LILO to
    >>play nice with each other.

    >They have played nice for me on 7.04 and 7.10 but I never tried a less
    >than complete install before. The idea of spending $70.00 to run
    >windoze just goes agains the grain. I guess that would pay my time to
    >reinstall. BG crapware

    It gets interestinger. Since I want to play with Hardy, I installed
    it where windoze used to be (sdc, which seems a little whacked but I
    have a combination of IDE and SATA drives and this is what windoze
    sees as the first drive) and now I get error 17: Cannot mount selected
    partition. Seems there have been some changes in the install program.
    I'm now trying sda to see if that works.

    >>"The possibilities are endless." Spock.
    >>>

    >>> Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226

    >>Bill Baka, unregistered, unlicensed, user #????

    >Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226

    Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226

  19. Re: 7.10-i386 -> 8.04-amd64 upgrade dilemma

    Bill Baka wrote:

    > I do a lot of torrents too, either Ktorrent or utorrent under wine,
    > mostly television shows I missed for some reason or another.
    > With high speed 'relatively' cable I can download about 2 GB per hour
    > at 7.75 Mbps, and I installed a lot of fluff from the repositories to
    > mess with. I'm still at a partial loss on the file systems though, as
    > I read that ReiserFS is faster than the others by about 10-15 times???

    I haven't heard of any great speed improvement, but I do use reiserfs
    when I think ahead during an install and remember to select it.

    This Wiki page does mention the 10-15 speed increase
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reiserfs under "Performance." Since I do
    run an INN NNTP news server, I guess reiserfs might make a difference,
    but my server is not heavily loaded.

    I'm not concerned about Reiser's alleged murder charges because I know
    others at Namesys will likely continue development if he should be
    convicted. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Reiser

    With that knowledge, perhaps ext3 is a safe alternative?

    > This computer gets zero, well about 1% work duty and is a play
    > platform for Ubuntu, XP, (Vista will never blemish my screen), Debian,
    > Suse, Mandrake/Mandriva, and more.
    > While I'm here I should point out that I just got System Commander to
    > sit on top of the boot pile and they warned not to even think about
    > Linspire since it eats things. The company also warned that Vista will
    > definitely munch other systems including older Windoze.

    Of all the Linux distros I have tried, Linspire has got to be the worst.
    I hate saying negative things about GNU/Linux -- and I won't -- so let
    me add that if I was stuck on the moon with a blank PC, a Windows CD and
    a Linspire CD, I'd not hesitate to load Linspire. It would be
    interesting to see how far the Winhozed CD would "frisbee" through the
    moon's non-atmosphere. ;-)

    It's not the fault of Linux or even GNU, but Linspire is a commercial
    company with "different" ideas, and with historically-wild CEOs in
    control of the company. Linspire dabbles in things they shouldn't, like
    sleeping with Micro$lut.

    Their paid support "staff" is nowhere as knowledgeable as common,
    ordinary users in newsgroups. For instance, the straw that broke the
    camel's back was Linspire told me that I could use their CNR and the
    DEB-APT system without worry. However the CNR broke the APT database,
    deleted a lot of dependencies, etc., and I lost the function of several
    programs. No Linspire employee had any suggested fix.

    Fortunately the system was not so crippled that I couldn't copy desired
    files over the LAN to a Debian 3.1 box, remove the bad Lindows 4.5.316
    by installing Ubuntu 6.06 LTS over it, then moving my files to it.

    My personal advice is to stick with those other distros you named, which
    all are good distros, even though Suse shacks up with Micro$lut. I have
    them, as well as several others, loaded on this and that PC, but I now
    realize I can do anything I want using Ubuntu or Debian, and have the
    best package management system available. YMMV.

    If Shuttleworth decides to incorporate Linspire's CNR into the Ubuntu
    distros, all I can say is, "caveat emptor."

    > Maybe that could become a new topic, like what is really the best way
    > to partition and what file systems to use.

    Sounds like a call for "Partition Wars" to commence. ;-)

    You won't get a consensus because different uses for Linux are abundant:
    servers, workstations, development, game boxes, MythTV, ....

    > I just got 8.04 downloaded and will be burning a DVD tomorrow, so....
    > Wish me luck.
    > Bill Baka

    Good luck, Bill!

    --
    John

  20. Re: 7.10-i386 -> 8.04-amd64 upgrade dilemma

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 07:54:37 GMT, Roy Strachan wrote:

    >On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 06:42:31 GMT, Roy Strachan wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 22:41:05 -0700, Bill Baka
    >>wrote:

    >>>Other than that program I have never gotten MS stuff, GRUB, and LILO to
    >>>play nice with each other.

    >>They have played nice for me on 7.04 and 7.10 but I never tried a less
    >>than complete install before. The idea of spending $70.00 to run
    >>windoze just goes agains the grain. I guess that would pay my time to
    >>reinstall. BG crapware

    >It gets interestinger. Since I want to play with Hardy, I installed
    >it where windoze used to be (sdc, which seems a little whacked but I
    >have a combination of IDE and SATA drives and this is what windoze
    >sees as the first drive) and now I get error 17: Cannot mount selected
    >partition. Seems there have been some changes in the install program.
    >I'm now trying sda to see if that works.

    That worked, but now I have to reorganize everything. Oh well, I need
    the experience. :-)

    >>>"The possibilities are endless." Spock.

    >>>Bill Baka, unregistered, unlicensed, user #????

    Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226

+ Reply to Thread