Newbie Question: How to install GnomeSword on Ubuntu 6.06? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Newbie Question: How to install GnomeSword on Ubuntu 6.06? - Ubuntu ; I am trying to migrate from the Windows side of things to the exciting world of Ubuntu. But I am having a problem in trying to install Gnomesword; I receive an error message to the effect that Ubuntu 6.06 "cannot ...

  1. Newbie Question: How to install GnomeSword on Ubuntu 6.06?

    I am trying to migrate from the Windows side of things to the exciting
    world of Ubuntu. But I am having a problem in trying to install
    Gnomesword; I receive an error message to the effect that Ubuntu 6.06
    "cannot satisfy a dependency".

    I guess I need to know the following:

    1. What are the executable files (extensions) in Ubuntu?

    2. How does one go about determining how to resolve the dependency
    issues?

    3. What hard copy book or online resource is best for assisting a
    newbie in getting a toehold in the world of Ubuntu?

    4. How does one get to a command-line interface in order to enter
    compile commands?

    By the way, I have loaded Ubuntu 8.04 RC (via Wubi.exe) on my XP
    machine and receive a similar error message whenever trying to load
    GnomeSword.

    Every other native feature of 8.04 works fine, however.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Newbie Question: How to install GnomeSword on Ubuntu 6.06?

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 14:27:15 -0400, Quester wrote:

    > I am trying to migrate from the Windows side of things to the exciting
    > world of Ubuntu. But I am having a problem in trying to install
    > Gnomesword; I receive an error message to the effect that Ubuntu 6.06
    > "cannot satisfy a dependency".

    You're missing a library that needs to be installed before hand. How are
    you installing it and does it tell you what is missing?

    If you use a Graphical interface to install sometimes you have to click
    the little triangle below the progress bar to see what message comes up
    in the terminal.

    This thread might solve you problems.

    This link sounds like it will solve your problems too and might have
    better instructions for you.
    http://www.cs.vu.nl/~gfrancke/gnomesword/

    It has instructions for 3 versions of Ubuntu.

  3. Re: Newbie Question: How to install GnomeSword on Ubuntu 6.06?

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:43:48 -0500, Frank Stallone
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 14:27:15 -0400, Quester wrote:
    >
    >> I am trying to migrate from the Windows side of things to the exciting
    >> world of Ubuntu. But I am having a problem in trying to install
    >> Gnomesword; I receive an error message to the effect that Ubuntu 6.06
    >> "cannot satisfy a dependency".

    >You're missing a library that needs to be installed before hand. How are
    >you installing it and does it tell you what is missing?
    >

    >If you use a Graphical interface to install sometimes you have to click
    >the little triangle below the progress bar to see what message comes up
    >in the terminal.
    >
    >This thread might solve you problems.
    >http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1860728
    >
    >This link sounds like it will solve your problems too and might have
    >better instructions for you.
    >http://www.cs.vu.nl/~gfrancke/gnomesword/
    >
    >It has instructions for 3 versions of Ubuntu.

    Thank you!

  4. Re: Newbie Question: How to install GnomeSword on Ubuntu 6.06?

    Quester wrote:

    > I am trying to migrate from the Windows side of things to the exciting
    > world of Ubuntu. But I am having a problem in trying to install
    > Gnomesword; I receive an error message to the effect that Ubuntu 6.06
    > "cannot satisfy a dependency".
    >
    > I guess I need to know the following:
    >
    > 1. What are the executable files (extensions) in Ubuntu?

    Executables are files on which you have execute permission, regardless
    of their name.

    > 2. How does one go about determining how to resolve the dependency
    > issues?

    Usually that's the job of the package manager. If you install a
    package using Synaptic or similar programs any dependency should be
    installed automatically.

    > 3. What hard copy book or online resource is best for assisting a
    > newbie in getting a toehold in the world of Ubuntu?
    >
    > 4. How does one get to a command-line interface in order to enter
    > compile commands?

    In Gnome it's Terminal, in KDE Konsole

    Florian

  5. Re: Newbie Question: How to install GnomeSword on Ubuntu 6.06?

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 15:30:37 +0200, Florian Diesch
    wrote:

    >Quester wrote:
    >
    >> I am trying to migrate from the Windows side of things to the exciting
    >> world of Ubuntu. But I am having a problem in trying to install
    >> Gnomesword; I receive an error message to the effect that Ubuntu 6.06
    >> "cannot satisfy a dependency".
    >>
    >> I guess I need to know the following:
    >>
    >> 1. What are the executable files (extensions) in Ubuntu?

    >Executables are files on which you have execute permission, regardless
    >of their name.
    >
    >> 2. How does one go about determining how to resolve the dependency
    >> issues?

    >Usually that's the job of the package manager. If you install a
    >package using Synaptic or similar programs any dependency should be
    >installed automatically.
    >
    >> 3. What hard copy book or online resource is best for assisting a
    >> newbie in getting a toehold in the world of Ubuntu?
    >>
    >> 4. How does one get to a command-line interface in order to enter
    >> compile commands?

    >In Gnome it's Terminal, in KDE Konsole
    >

    > Florian

    Thanks for the help. You are inching me forward and I deeply
    appreciate your time and assistance!

    I tried using Synaptic to load GnomeSword but could never get it to
    "see" the tar.gz file on the desktop. I know this must seem laughable
    to experienced Ubuntu users, but I am such a newbie that I redefine
    the term.

  6. Re: Newbie Question: How to install GnomeSword on Ubuntu 6.06?

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 17:49:55 -0400, Quester wrote:

    > On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 15:30:37 +0200, Florian Diesch
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Quester wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am trying to migrate from the Windows side of things to the exciting
    >>> world of Ubuntu. But I am having a problem in trying to install
    >>> Gnomesword; I receive an error message to the effect that Ubuntu 6.06
    >>> "cannot satisfy a dependency".
    >>>
    >>> I guess I need to know the following:
    >>>
    >>> 1. What are the executable files (extensions) in Ubuntu?

    >>Executables are files on which you have execute permission, regardless
    >>of their name.
    >>
    >>> 2. How does one go about determining how to resolve the dependency
    >>> issues?

    >>Usually that's the job of the package manager. If you install a package
    >>using Synaptic or similar programs any dependency should be installed
    >>automatically.
    >>
    >>> 3. What hard copy book or online resource is best for assisting a
    >>> newbie in getting a toehold in the world of Ubuntu?
    >>>
    >>> 4. How does one get to a command-line interface in order to enter
    >>> compile commands?

    >>In Gnome it's Terminal, in KDE Konsole
    >>

    >> Florian

    > Thanks for the help. You are inching me forward and I deeply appreciate
    > your time and assistance!
    >
    > I tried using Synaptic to load GnomeSword but could never get it to
    > "see" the tar.gz file on the desktop. I know this must seem laughable to
    > experienced Ubuntu users, but I am such a newbie that I redefine the
    > term.

    Naw, it's not laughable at all. You're just trying to do the right thing
    the wrong way.

    Rather than trying to install the tar.gz file via synaptic, go do this.

    Open up synaptic.

    Search for gnomesword.

    When it finds it, click on the check box next to it and select "Mark for
    installation". It may, and probably will, come up with a dialog box
    requesting to mark additional changes. These are dependencies, you want
    these. Click Mark.

    Then just click apply in the top toolbar and watch it install. Done.

    Oh and, you won't need that tar.gz file that way, you can just delete it.

    Alternatively, you can also do this from a command prompt:

    sudo apt-get install gnomesword

    Hit Y when it asks to confirm and watch it install.

    Done.

    --
    Stephan
    1986 Pontiac Fiero GT

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  7. Re: Newbie Question: How to install GnomeSword on Ubuntu 6.06?

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 20:02:38 -0500, Stephan Rose
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 17:49:55 -0400, Quester wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 15:30:37 +0200, Florian Diesch
    >> wrote:

    >>>Executables are files on which you have execute permission, regardless
    >>>of their name.

    >>>Usually that's the job of the package manager. If you install a package
    >>>using Synaptic or similar programs any dependency should be installed
    >>>automatically.

    >>>In Gnome it's Terminal, in KDE Konsole
    >>>

    >>> Florian

    >> Thanks for the help. You are inching me forward and I deeply appreciate
    >> your time and assistance!
    >>
    >> I tried using Synaptic to load GnomeSword but could never get it to
    >> "see" the tar.gz file on the desktop. I know this must seem laughable to
    >> experienced Ubuntu users, but I am such a newbie that I redefine the
    >> term.

    >Naw, it's not laughable at all. You're just trying to do the right thing
    >the wrong way.
    >
    >Rather than trying to install the tar.gz file via synaptic, go do this.
    >
    >Open up synaptic.
    >
    >Search for gnomesword.
    >
    >When it finds it, click on the check box next to it and select "Mark for
    >installation". It may, and probably will, come up with a dialog box
    >requesting to mark additional changes. These are dependencies, you want
    >these. Click Mark.
    >
    >Then just click apply in the top toolbar and watch it install. Done.
    >
    >Oh and, you won't need that tar.gz file that way, you can just delete it.
    >
    >Alternatively, you can also do this from a command prompt:
    >
    >sudo apt-get install gnomesword
    >
    >Hit Y when it asks to confirm and watch it install.
    >
    >Done.

    Thank you for this detailed procedure. I am deeply appreciative for
    your help!

    I have tried the Synaptic method but the GnomeSword is greyed out with
    no checkbox available when I locate it on the desktop.

    As for the other method, I will try that and report back after an
    evening appointment.

    Thank you, again, for your kind assistance!

  8. Re: Newbie Question: How to install GnomeSword on Ubuntu 6.06?

    wrote:

    >On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 17:49:55 -0400, Quester wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 15:30:37 +0200, Florian Diesch
    >> wrote:

    >>>Executables are files on which you have execute permission, regardless
    >>>of their name.

    >>>Usually that's the job of the package manager. If you install a package
    >>>using Synaptic or similar programs any dependency should be installed
    >>>automatically.

    >>>In Gnome it's Terminal, in KDE Konsole
    >>>

    >>> Florian

    >> Thanks for the help. You are inching me forward and I deeply appreciate
    >> your time and assistance!
    >>
    >> I tried using Synaptic to load GnomeSword but could never get it to
    >> "see" the tar.gz file on the desktop. I know this must seem laughable to
    >> experienced Ubuntu users, but I am such a newbie that I redefine the
    >> term.

    >Naw, it's not laughable at all. You're just trying to do the right thing
    >the wrong way.
    >
    >Rather than trying to install the tar.gz file via synaptic, go do this.
    >
    >Open up synaptic.
    >
    >Search for gnomesword.
    >
    >When it finds it, click on the check box next to it and select "Mark for
    >installation". It may, and probably will, come up with a dialog box
    >requesting to mark additional changes. These are dependencies, you want
    >these. Click Mark.
    >
    >Then just click apply in the top toolbar and watch it install. Done.
    >
    >Oh and, you won't need that tar.gz file that way, you can just delete it.
    >
    >Alternatively, you can also do this from a command prompt:
    >
    >sudo apt-get install gnomesword
    >
    >Hit Y when it asks to confirm and watch it install.
    >
    >Done.

    Okay. I tried the terminal method for installing GnomeSword and it
    installed BUT...

    It doesn't show up in the list of applications nor can I find a way to
    launch it from inside the GnomeSword directory/folder. It did load the
    Users Manual under 'Applications' but this never loads when I click
    it.

    The package did download the dependencies etc but I noticed that some
    of the terminal messages reported errors with "empty pages"...whatever
    that may mean.

    any thoughts as to what might be going on?

  9. Re: Newbie Question: How to install GnomeSword on Ubuntu 6.06?

    Quester wrote:

    > Okay. I tried the terminal method for installing GnomeSword and it
    > installed BUT...
    >
    > It doesn't show up in the list of applications nor can I find a way to
    > launch it from inside the GnomeSword directory/folder. It did load the
    > Users Manual under 'Applications' but this never loads when I click
    > it.
    >
    > The package did download the dependencies etc but I noticed that some
    > of the terminal messages reported errors with "empty pages"...whatever
    > that may mean.
    >
    > any thoughts as to what might be going on?

    The version I have is named gnomesword2 (it's version 2.1.5).

    The icon is in the Accessories directory of the Applications Menu (this
    is Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS).

    I can't remember if it installed the icon, or if I did it. I suspect it
    did because I wouldn't have stuck it in Accessories.

    You can try launching it from a terminal by simply entering gnomesword2
    and hit Enter. If that works, and it appears installed correctly, you
    can create an icon for launching it.

    Its location should be /usr/bin/gnomesword2 and your $PATH should have
    that directory.

    --
    John

  10. Re: Newbie Question: How to install GnomeSword on Ubuntu 6.06?

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 02:53:01 GMT, "John F. Morse"
    wrote:

    >Quester wrote:
    >
    >> Okay. I tried the terminal method for installing GnomeSword and it
    >> installed BUT...
    >>
    >> It doesn't show up in the list of applications nor can I find a way to
    >> launch it from inside the GnomeSword directory/folder. It did load the
    >> Users Manual under 'Applications' but this never loads when I click
    >> it.
    >>
    >> The package did download the dependencies etc but I noticed that some
    >> of the terminal messages reported errors with "empty pages"...whatever
    >> that may mean.
    >>
    >> any thoughts as to what might be going on?
    >>

    >The version I have is named gnomesword2 (it's version 2.1.5).
    >
    >The icon is in the Accessories directory of the Applications Menu (this
    >is Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS).
    >
    >I can't remember if it installed the icon, or if I did it. I suspect it
    >did because I wouldn't have stuck it in Accessories.
    >
    >You can try launching it from a terminal by simply entering gnomesword2
    >and hit Enter. If that works, and it appears installed correctly, you
    >can create an icon for launching it.
    >
    >Its location should be /usr/bin/gnomesword2 and your $PATH should have
    >that directory.

    Thank you! I'll give that a go and report back soon.

  11. Re: Newbie Question: How to install GnomeSword on Ubuntu 6.06?

    wrote:

    >Quester wrote:
    >
    >> Okay. I tried the terminal method for installing GnomeSword and it
    >> installed BUT...
    >>
    >> It doesn't show up in the list of applications nor can I find a way to
    >> launch it from inside the GnomeSword directory/folder. It did load the
    >> Users Manual under 'Applications' but this never loads when I click
    >> it.
    >>
    >> The package did download the dependencies etc but I noticed that some
    >> of the terminal messages reported errors with "empty pages"...whatever
    >> that may mean.
    >>
    >> any thoughts as to what might be going on?
    >>

    >The version I have is named gnomesword2 (it's version 2.1.5).
    >
    >The icon is in the Accessories directory of the Applications Menu (this
    >is Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS).
    >
    >I can't remember if it installed the icon, or if I did it. I suspect it
    >did because I wouldn't have stuck it in Accessories.
    >
    >You can try launching it from a terminal by simply entering gnomesword2
    >and hit Enter. If that works, and it appears installed correctly, you
    >can create an icon for launching it.
    >
    >Its location should be /usr/bin/gnomesword2 and your $PATH should have
    >that directory.

    Entering Gnomesword2 didn't produce any effect nor is the program
    installed.

    The directory Gnomesword-2.2.0 exists and the Gnomesword-2.2.0.tar.gz
    file exists on the desktop. But Synpatic shows it greyed out and the
    previously suggested page of instructions only returns error messages
    regarding bad commands and so forth.

  12. Re: Newbie Question: How to install GnomeSword on Ubuntu 6.06?

    Quester wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 02:53:01 GMT, "John F. Morse"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Quester wrote:
    >>
    >>> Okay. I tried the terminal method for installing GnomeSword and it
    >>> installed BUT...
    >>>
    >>> It doesn't show up in the list of applications nor can I find a way to
    >>> launch it from inside the GnomeSword directory/folder. It did load the
    >>> Users Manual under 'Applications' but this never loads when I click
    >>> it.
    >>>
    >>> The package did download the dependencies etc but I noticed that some
    >>> of the terminal messages reported errors with "empty pages"...whatever
    >>> that may mean.
    >>>
    >>> any thoughts as to what might be going on?
    >>>

    >> The version I have is named gnomesword2 (it's version 2.1.5).
    >>
    >> The icon is in the Accessories directory of the Applications Menu (this
    >> is Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS).
    >>
    >> I can't remember if it installed the icon, or if I did it. I suspect it
    >> did because I wouldn't have stuck it in Accessories.
    >>
    >> You can try launching it from a terminal by simply entering gnomesword2
    >> and hit Enter. If that works, and it appears installed correctly, you
    >> can create an icon for launching it.
    >>
    >> Its location should be /usr/bin/gnomesword2 and your $PATH should have
    >> that directory.

    > Entering Gnomesword2 didn't produce any effect nor is the program
    > installed.
    >
    > The directory Gnomesword-2.2.0 exists and the Gnomesword-2.2.0.tar.gz
    > file exists on the desktop. But Synpatic shows it greyed out and the
    > previously suggested page of instructions only returns error messages
    > regarding bad commands and so forth.

    The tar.gz file on your desktop has nothing to do with Synaptic.
    Try deleting the Gnomesword directory. Open Synaptic click the reload
    button and then see if you can load Gnomesword from synaptic.
    caver1

  13. Re: Newbie Question: How to install GnomeSword on Ubuntu 6.06?

    Ok.

    Problem solved. Gnomesword up and running.

    Here's the cure. Remember those dependency errors I mentioned
    receiving? Well, I noticed, as I looked over the Unbuntu download page
    for Gnomesword this time, that ALL additional packages were listed
    there. Now, this is just a simple directory listing with no file
    description so it took a dense person like myself this long to become
    aware of what I was seeing.

    Downloaded those and installed. Voila! We're in business!

    Much thanks to all who offered advice and gave me helpful tips! You
    are the best justification for switching from Windows to Ubuntu!

+ Reply to Thread