Hardy RC and Wireless? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Hardy RC and Wireless? - Ubuntu ; Hi, Is it just me or is Hardy Heron + the new kernel working well with wireless? I am using Hardy RC and a BCM4312 and all I had to do is load the firmware from Linux Wireless, reboot and ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

  1. Hardy RC and Wireless?

    Hi,

    Is it just me or is Hardy Heron + the new kernel working well with
    wireless?

    I am using Hardy RC and a BCM4312 and all I had to do is load the
    firmware from Linux Wireless, reboot and the wireless network was
    there and running beautifully.

    Any other success stories? Or am I just lucky :-)

    Andrew

    --
    http://www.andrews-corner.org

  2. Re: Hardy RC and Wireless?

    andrew wrote:

    > Hi,

    > Is it just me or is Hardy Heron + the new kernel working well with
    > wireless?

    > I am using Hardy RC and a BCM4312 and all I had to do is load the
    > firmware from Linux Wireless, reboot and the wireless network was
    > there and running beautifully.

    Have they fixed the network manager?

  3. Re: Hardy RC and Wireless?

    On 2008-04-21, White Spirit wrote:
    > andrew wrote:

    >> Is it just me or is Hardy Heron + the new kernel working well with
    >> wireless?

    >> I am using Hardy RC and a BCM4312 and all I had to do is load the
    >> firmware from Linux Wireless, reboot and the wireless network was
    >> there and running beautifully.

    > Have they fixed the network manager?

    They have certainly fixed something as I remember the beta was so bad
    with this particular card that I abandoned Hardy for a while.

    Andrew

    --
    http://www.andrews-corner.org

  4. Re: Hardy RC and Wireless?

    andrew wrote:

    > They have certainly fixed something as I remember the beta was so bad
    > with this particular card that I abandoned Hardy for a while.

    Wireless networking is the only thing I've ever had problems with since
    I started using Linux. My first card was based on a Prism Intercil
    chipset. The native driver worked but I had to fiddle around with IRQs
    before I could modprobe the driver without getting a kernel panic. That
    was when I was using Slackware. It didn't connect and maintain a
    connection very well.

    My next card was a Broadcom device on an old laptop. When I first
    started using it, I had to use Ndiswrapper but last time I put Ubuntu on
    the laptop, MadWifi detected it. Since using MadWifi, it works very
    well but I had problems getting it to connect with the Ndiswrapper
    module on an older version of Ubuntu. I don't know whether it's a
    problem with Ndiswrapper or the flaky Gnome Network manager. Although
    MadWifi works really well, I have a problem getting the device to
    connect to the router when my flatmate is using Bittorrent.

    Next device was a D-Link USB wireless dongle using Ndiswrapper. Signal
    strength was always on the weak side and quite often, the device would
    drop its connection. It also seemed like it was overheating because I
    couldn't get it to work at all after it was switched on for about an
    hour or more. I don't know how much of the problems were firmware,
    device or driver related.

    To replace the dongle, I got a PCI wireless card. Still using
    Ndiswrapper with it (have used 32 and 64-bit drivers). The card is
    working pretty well, although I had to remove the flaky Gnome Network
    Manager and use WifiRadar. Again, it can be difficult to connect when
    my flatmate is using Bittorrent. Part of that is the fault of the
    router - they're just not designed to handle that level of UDP traffic,
    but some cards seem to cope better than others.

    I have an Atheros ar5007 in my new laptop. The 64-bit WinXP drivers
    work with Ndiswrapper (MadWifi works for 32-bit kernels only at
    present). The device was working fine for about a week and then I
    couldn't get it to connect at all. The only fix I found was to manually
    set the MAC address of the card and it's been fine ever since. Signal
    strength is really good and it connects easily.

    The thing about WiFi that's a headache with Linux is that it can be
    difficult to find the source of a problem. Some devices have never
    worked well at all and I've taken the time to try them on a Windows
    machine just to find out whether the device just doesn't work that well.
    Some problems are caused by the driver, some I've since found by a
    buggy Network Manager in Gnome, some are possible to workaround, some
    impossible to pinpoint... Maybe it's just the nature of WiFi, but I've
    never had a device that worked 100% and didn't present some form of problem.

  5. Re: Hardy RC and Wireless?

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 12:34:47 +0000, andrew wrote:

    > Is it just me or is Hardy Heron + the new kernel working well with
    > wireless?

    My ipw3954 did not work well last week, I had to manually connect.

    --
    Jerry Maguire: Help me... help you. Help me, help you. ;-)

  6. Re: Hardy RC and Wireless?

    On 2008-04-21, Holz wrote:
    > On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 12:34:47 +0000, andrew wrote:
    >

    >> Is it just me or is Hardy Heron + the new kernel working well with
    >> wireless?

    > My ipw3954 did not work well last week, I had to manually connect.

    My Atheros is working fine, but on another laptop, broadcom was
    hopelessly fscked up so I replaced Hardy with Gutsy.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  7. Re: Hardy RC and Wireless?

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 12:42:12 -0500, Ignoramus4289 wrote:

    > On 2008-04-21, Holz wrote:
    >> On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 12:34:47 +0000, andrew wrote:
    >>

    >>> Is it just me or is Hardy Heron + the new kernel working well with
    >>> wireless?

    >> My ipw3954 did not work well last week, I had to manually connect.
    >>

    > My Atheros is working fine, but on another laptop, broadcom was
    > hopelessly fscked up so I replaced Hardy with Gutsy.

    I am not in a hurry to upgrade. I love Gutsy, it does everything I need
    it to do.
    At work I run AMD 64, and the last upgrade test was pretty bad. vmware
    remote does not work, my gnome rdp db did not upgrade, and many more. Can
    use hardy yet.

    --
    Jerry Maguire: Help me... help you. Help me, help you. ;-)

  8. Re: Hardy RC and Wireless?

    "andrew" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Is it just me or is Hardy Heron + the new kernel working well with
    > wireless?
    >
    > I am using Hardy RC and a BCM4312 and all I had to do is load the
    > firmware from Linux Wireless, reboot and the wireless network was
    > there and running beautifully.
    >
    > Any other success stories? Or am I just lucky :-)
    >
    > Andrew
    >
    > --
    > http://www.andrews-corner.org

    Well it is "still" only at the RC stage but with just 3 days to go until
    final release I am not hopeful that Heron has finally cracked wifi.
    Certainly using beta and now RC I have been unable to get either my Linksys
    WMP54g PCI card (uses Broadcom BCM4306) nor my Asus WL-167g USB stick to
    work acceptably.
    The broadcom could never get an IP address from my router (I used the b43
    restricted drivers) whether on DHCP or given a static IP and although the
    Asus established a connection it somehow disables my internet connnection to
    another PC using Win XP off the same network router! As well as being so
    very slow.
    Sorry to say but both wifi devices work fine under XP.
    WiFi really has been the reason I have never been able to go over to Ubuntu
    fully for over a year (I did get Gutsy working after a lot of pain but never
    felt I could reliably get it back up if I ever had to rebuild.) The Heron
    seems a retrograde step.
    Seen a lot of negatives about Ubuntu's Network Manager. I have tried
    wifi-radar but frankly, not being a network expert I am not sure if I have
    to disable NM to run wifi radar.
    A last cry for some guidance..... please.

  9. Re: Hardy RC and Wireless?

    Holz wrote:
    >> Is it just me or is Hardy Heron + the new kernel working well with
    >> wireless?
    >>

    > My ipw3954 did not work well last week, I had to manually connect.

    I loaded Xubuntu Hardy RC (18.04.2008) last week, via wubi option on my
    Fuji Amilo 1536 and the Intel ipw3945 connected with one click, enter
    the WEP and no problem. Easy and simple and quick to install and no
    partition worries. Now I need to find the boot up file to alter the
    default from Xp to Xubuntu. Well done Xubuntu team!

  10. Re: Hardy RC and Wireless?

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 20:36:59 +0100, Cushie wrote:

    > I loaded Xubuntu Hardy RC (18.04.2008) last week, via wubi option on my
    > Fuji Amilo 1536 and the Intel ipw3945 connected with one click, enter
    > the WEP and no problem. Easy and simple and quick to install and no
    > partition worries. Now I need to find the boot up file to alter the
    > default from Xp to Xubuntu. Well done Xubuntu team!

    That it a new install, not upgrade?

    --
    Jerry Maguire: Help me... help you. Help me, help you. ;-)

  11. Re: Hardy RC and Wireless?

    On 2008-04-21, David wrote:

    > The broadcom could never get an IP address from my router (I used the b43
    > restricted drivers) whether on DHCP or given a static IP and although the
    > Asus established a connection it somehow disables my internet connnection to
    > another PC using Win XP off the same network router! As well as being so
    > very slow.

    Well, I actually downloaded the firmware and fwcutter from:

    http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43

    rather than use the repository offering. Not sure if this would make
    any difference though?

    Andrew
    --
    http://www.andrews-corner.org

  12. Re: Hardy RC and Wireless?

    "andrew" wrote in message
    > On 2008-04-21, David wrote:
    >
    >> The broadcom could never get an IP address from my router (I used the b43
    >> restricted drivers) whether on DHCP or given a static IP and although the
    >> Asus established a connection it somehow disables my internet connnection
    >> another PC using Win XP off the same network router! As well as being so
    >> very slow.

    > Well, I actually downloaded the firmware and fwcutter from:
    >
    > http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43
    >
    > rather than use the repository offering. Not sure if this would make
    > any difference though?
    >
    > Andrew
    > --
    > http://www.andrews-corner.org

    Always worth a try.
    May try PCLinuxOS2008 -gnome instead as no-one seems able to offer any other
    suggestion. Any idea if it is any better in this regard?
    Thanks
    Dave

  13. Re: Hardy RC and Wireless?

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 00:07:55 +0100, I was intrigued when David posted the
    following:

    > May try PCLinuxOS2008 -gnome instead as no-one seems able to offer any
    > other suggestion. Any idea if it is any better in this regard? Thanks
    > Dave

    I'm experimenting with the PCLinuxOS 2008 -Gnome at the moment and I must
    say that it is a worthy opponent to Ubuntu. On my system, the
    installation was easier than with Ubuntu. Still, Ubuntu is my OS of
    choice. Give PCLinux 2008 Gnome a try. You just might be impressed. I
    am. Take care.

    --
    Just Me, D

  14. Re: Hardy RC and Wireless?

    "andrew" wrote in message
    > On 2008-04-21, David wrote:
    >
    >> The broadcom could never get an IP address from my router (I used the b43
    >> restricted drivers) whether on DHCP or given a static IP and although the
    >> Asus established a connection it somehow disables my internet connnection
    >> another PC using Win XP off the same network router! As well as being so
    >> very slow.

    > Well, I actually downloaded the firmware and fwcutter from:
    >
    > http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43
    >
    > rather than use the repository offering. Not sure if this would make
    > any difference though?
    >
    > Andrew
    > --
    > http://www.andrews-corner.org

    Tried following the instructions to the letter to make b43-fwcutter-011 but
    it fails at the "make" cmd. That is I get a whole string of error messages.
    Is this info still valid?
    Also sorry but could you spell out for this noob exactly what I should
    change if anything, where it says " export FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR=.... " when
    downloading the firmware.
    My system 8.04 RC does have a /lib/firmware folder already.
    Thanks again.
    Dave

  15. Re: Hardy RC and Wireless?

    "Doug Jamal" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 00:07:55 +0100, I was intrigued when David posted the
    > following:
    >

    >> May try PCLinuxOS2008 -gnome instead as no-one seems able to offer any
    >> other suggestion. Any idea if it is any better in this regard? Thanks
    >> Dave

    > I'm experimenting with the PCLinuxOS 2008 -Gnome at the moment and I must
    > say that it is a worthy opponent to Ubuntu. On my system, the
    > installation was easier than with Ubuntu. Still, Ubuntu is my OS of
    > choice. Give PCLinux 2008 Gnome a try. You just might be impressed. I
    > am. Take care.
    >

    > --
    > Just Me, D

    Hi Doug
    I did give it an initial try last week but then I noticed the download had
    vanished and they referred to problems which they were fixing..so I decided
    to wait. But my initial thoughts were it looked very slick, but more
    importantly it did seem rather effortless on setup. But I never got as far
    as wifi. One thing I didn't appreciate was that I installed it on new
    partitions on my dual booting test PC which had win xp and ubuntu 8.04 beta
    on it. And it managed to install grub such that I could only boot from
    PCLinux (they did say it was more like windows after all!!!)
    But I will definitley give it a try. Please let me know if you encounter any
    gremlins or if you feel it's a worthy dist to change to. Sad but it may come
    to it.

  16. Re: Hardy RC and Wireless?

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 01:51:51 +0100, I was intrigued when David posted the
    following:

    > "Doug Jamal" wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 00:07:55 +0100, I was intrigued when David posted
    >> the following:
    >>

    >>> May try PCLinuxOS2008 -gnome instead as no-one seems able to offer any
    >>> other suggestion. Any idea if it is any better in this regard? Thanks
    >>> Dave

    >> I'm experimenting with the PCLinuxOS 2008 -Gnome at the moment and I
    >> must say that it is a worthy opponent to Ubuntu. On my system, the
    >> installation was easier than with Ubuntu. Still, Ubuntu is my OS of
    >> choice. Give PCLinux 2008 Gnome a try. You just might be impressed.
    >> I am. Take care.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Just Me, D

    > Hi Doug
    > I did give it an initial try last week but then I noticed the download
    > had vanished and they referred to problems which they were fixing..so I
    > decided to wait. But my initial thoughts were it looked very slick, but
    > more importantly it did seem rather effortless on setup. But I never got
    > as far as wifi. One thing I didn't appreciate was that I installed it on
    > new partitions on my dual booting test PC which had win xp and ubuntu
    > 8.04 beta on it. And it managed to install grub such that I could only
    > boot from PCLinux (they did say it was more like windows after all!!!)
    > But I will definitley give it a try. Please let me know if you encounter
    > any gremlins or if you feel it's a worthy dist to change to. Sad but it
    > may come to it.

    I'm actually triple booting on my Toshiba laptop with Ubuntu Gutsy,
    PCLinuxOS 2008 Gnome and Windows Vista Ultimate. Installation on my
    laptop was almost flawless. After installation, PCLinux did take over
    the Grub menu, however, I simply booted into my Ubuntu, copied the boot
    portions of the menu.lst then copied them into the menu.lst of PCLinux.
    Voila! Piece of cake. Wifi automatically detected both my wireless
    devices (Intel 3845abg & D-Link DWL-650) as well as the LAN card. My
    laptop is a little over a year old. Again, Ubuntu is my distro of
    choice, but I'm very impressed with PCLinuxOS 2008 Gnome. Funny though,
    PCLinuxOS 2007 wouldn't install at all onto my hard drive on this same
    system. Go figure!

    --
    Just Me, D

  17. Re: Hardy RC and Wireless?

    On 2008-04-22, David wrote:

    > Tried following the instructions to the letter to make b43-fwcutter-011 but
    > it fails at the "make" cmd. That is I get a whole string of error messages.
    > Is this info still valid?
    > Also sorry but could you spell out for this noob exactly what I should
    > change if anything, where it says " export FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR=.... " when
    > downloading the firmware.
    > My system 8.04 RC does have a /lib/firmware folder already.

    I used these instructions about 5 days ago so they should still be
    valid. And just to rub it in I am typing this without wires :-)

    You can leave all the paths exactly as they are in the guide, this
    worked for me. I suspect that perhaps you do not have compiling
    software installed so ou may need to install as follows:

    $ sudo apt-get install build-essential

    and then try again. Hopefully this time with some success!

    Andrew

    --
    http://www.andrews-corner.org

  18. Re: Hardy RC and Wireless?

    "andrew" wrote in message
    > On 2008-04-22, David wrote:
    >
    >> Tried following the instructions to the letter to make b43-fwcutter-011
    >> but
    >> it fails at the "make" cmd. That is I get a whole string of error
    >> messages.
    >> Is this info still valid?
    >> Also sorry but could you spell out for this noob exactly what I should
    >> change if anything, where it says " export FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR=.... "
    >> when
    >> downloading the firmware.
    >> My system 8.04 RC does have a /lib/firmware folder already.

    > I used these instructions about 5 days ago so they should still be
    > valid. And just to rub it in I am typing this without wires :-)
    >
    > You can leave all the paths exactly as they are in the guide, this
    > worked for me. I suspect that perhaps you do not have compiling
    > software installed so ou may need to install as follows:
    >
    > $ sudo apt-get install build-essential
    >
    > and then try again. Hopefully this time with some success!
    >
    > Andrew
    >
    > --
    > http://www.andrews-corner.org

    Hello Andrew,

    You were spot on. I needed to download the compiling s/w and then it build
    ok.
    But still no luck getting it up.
    Do I need to do anything else to "install" this. sudo install XYZ ???

    How should I use the Hardware Drivers section on System>Administration.
    Should I select it or deselect it? Tried both?
    I have wifi radar, and System>Admin>Network Settings both asking for my
    netwprk SSID and password. Which do I use? Do I ignore the nm-applet or even
    try to de-install it?

    I have Network Monitor and it now recognises a wlan0:avahi?
    Also the output of iwconfig gives the following:

    IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"sally000"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
    Tx-Power=27 dBm
    Retry min limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thr=2346 B
    Encryption keyff
    Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0

    It says encryption key off but my AP has encryption selected (not even
    trying to use WAP at this stage just WEP) and I have set up the password in
    both wifi radar and Net Settings.

    All very confusing and the more I read on the net the more confused I
    become.
    Cheers

  19. Re: Hardy RC and Wireless?

    David wrote:

    > Seen a lot of negatives about Ubuntu's Network Manager. I have tried
    > wifi-radar but frankly, not being a network expert I am not sure if I have
    > to disable NM to run wifi radar.
    > A last cry for some guidance..... please.

    I'd advise either uninstalling it or simply removing it from the panel.
    Generally, once the problem software is removed and any problems dealt
    with, WiFi works as well in Linux as in Windows in my experience. The
    difficulty is having to deal with more variables in order to solve the
    issues preventing connectivity in the first instance.

    Sometimes the problem is with interdevice operability, which can also be
    dependant on software/firmware/driver issues. For example, some cards
    manage to lock up routers, some routers manage to lock up cards,
    sometimes its the firmware, sometimes the driver, or a problem with
    software, or something more random such as the BIOS causing a problem
    with a certain driver etc... When I have problems connecting to the
    wireless router at home, it's sometimes because my flatmate has managed
    to lock up the router with his incessant BitTorrent downloads. As I
    mentioned in another post, BitTorrent causes problems with home routers
    generally. I never have a problem connecting when he's not downloading
    his 1000th film.

  20. Re: Hardy RC and Wireless?

    David wrote:

    > You were spot on. I needed to download the compiling s/w and then it build
    > ok.
    > But still no luck getting it up.
    > Do I need to do anything else to "install" this. sudo install XYZ ???

    sudo su
    make install

    Should work.

+ Reply to Thread