Hardy RC and Wireless? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Hardy RC and Wireless? - Ubuntu ; "White Spirit" wrote in message news:ful1uq$1lp$1@registered.motzarella.org... > David wrote: > >> You were spot on. I needed to download the compiling s/w and then it >> build ok. >> But still no luck getting it up. >> Do I need ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 37 of 37

  1. Re: Hardy RC and Wireless?

    "White Spirit" wrote in message
    > David wrote:
    >
    >> You were spot on. I needed to download the compiling s/w and then it
    >> build ok.
    >> But still no luck getting it up.
    >> Do I need to do anything else to "install" this. sudo install XYZ ???

    > sudo su
    > make install
    >
    > Should work.

    Thanks but did a make install and still no good. But the card seems to be
    recognised so may be a settings or dhcp issue rather than drivers.

  2. Re: Hardy RC and Wireless?

    > David wrote:
    >
    >> Seen a lot of negatives about Ubuntu's Network Manager. I have tried
    >> wifi-radar but frankly, not being a network expert I am not sure if I
    >> have to disable NM to run wifi radar.
    >> A last cry for some guidance..... please.

    > I'd advise either uninstalling it or simply removing it from the panel.
    > Generally, once the problem software is removed and any problems dealt
    > with, WiFi works as well in Linux as in Windows in my experience. The
    > difficulty is having to deal with more variables in order to solve the
    > issues preventing connectivity in the first instance.
    >
    > Sometimes the problem is with interdevice operability, which can also be
    > dependant on software/firmware/driver issues. For example, some cards
    > manage to lock up routers, some routers manage to lock up cards, sometimes
    > its the firmware, sometimes the driver, or a problem with software, or
    > something more random such as the BIOS causing a problem with a certain
    > driver etc... When I have problems connecting to the wireless router at
    > home, it's sometimes because my flatmate has managed to lock up the router
    > with his incessant BitTorrent downloads. As I mentioned in another post,
    > BitTorrent causes problems with home routers generally. I never have a
    > problem connecting when he's not downloading his 1000th film.

    Hi and thanks for the input.
    Since my earlier post I did uninstall nm and wifi radar, rebooted and
    installed wicd instead.
    Still no joy.

    I guess you are saying that when it works it just works, which it would be
    very difficult to disagree with! But as you also say, there are just so many
    variables in ubuntu or any linux distro that you don't have in windows or
    even mac. So they have a much easier job making it work. But the bottom line
    is that if Ubuntu and others don't put more effort into this area and a few
    others which involve connectivity and multimedia then I doubt linux will
    ever get a critical mass of support on the desktop. I just can't see any
    connection between Mark Shuttleworth's words this week and recent reports of
    how these issues have been prioritised.
    Very sad.

  3. Re: Hardy RC and Wireless?

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 18:15:47 +0100, David wrote:

    > "White Spirit" wrote in message
    >> David wrote:
    >>
    >>> Seen a lot of negatives about Ubuntu's Network Manager. I have tried
    >>> wifi-radar but frankly, not being a network expert I am not sure if I
    >>> have to disable NM to run wifi radar.
    >>> A last cry for some guidance..... please.

    >> I'd advise either uninstalling it or simply removing it from the panel.
    >> Generally, once the problem software is removed and any problems dealt
    >> with, WiFi works as well in Linux as in Windows in my experience. The
    >> difficulty is having to deal with more variables in order to solve the
    >> issues preventing connectivity in the first instance.
    >>
    >> Sometimes the problem is with interdevice operability, which can also be
    >> dependant on software/firmware/driver issues. For example, some cards
    >> manage to lock up routers, some routers manage to lock up cards, sometimes
    >> its the firmware, sometimes the driver, or a problem with software, or
    >> something more random such as the BIOS causing a problem with a certain
    >> driver etc... When I have problems connecting to the wireless router at
    >> home, it's sometimes because my flatmate has managed to lock up the router
    >> with his incessant BitTorrent downloads. As I mentioned in another post,
    >> BitTorrent causes problems with home routers generally. I never have a
    >> problem connecting when he's not downloading his 1000th film.

    > Hi and thanks for the input.
    > Since my earlier post I did uninstall nm and wifi radar, rebooted and
    > installed wicd instead.
    > Still no joy.
    >
    > I guess you are saying that when it works it just works, which it would be
    > very difficult to disagree with! But as you also say, there are just so many
    > variables in ubuntu or any linux distro that you don't have in windows or
    > even mac. So they have a much easier job making it work. But the bottom line
    > is that if Ubuntu and others don't put more effort into this area and a few
    > others which involve connectivity and multimedia then I doubt linux will
    > ever get a critical mass of support on the desktop. I just can't see any
    > connection between Mark Shuttleworth's words this week and recent reports of
    > how these issues have been prioritised.
    > Very sad.

    Played with Ubuntu Hardy rc last night, wireless worked right off the bat.
    Played with Kubuntu Hardy rc today, had to sudo kcontrol and config for
    static IP then term and ifdown eth1, ifup eth1 and wireless worked after
    that. The the network control panel for the taskbar doesn't work in
    Kubuntu but it did in Ubuntu, go figure.

  4. Re: Hardy RC and Wireless?

    "Meat Plow" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 18:15:47 +0100, David wrote:
    >

    >> "White Spirit" wrote in message

    >>> I'd advise either uninstalling it or simply removing it from the panel.
    >>> Generally, once the problem software is removed and any problems dealt
    >>> with, WiFi works as well in Linux as in Windows in my experience. The
    >>> difficulty is having to deal with more variables in order to solve the
    >>> issues preventing connectivity in the first instance.
    >>>
    >>> Sometimes the problem is with interdevice operability, which can also be
    >>> dependant on software/firmware/driver issues. For example, some cards
    >>> manage to lock up routers, some routers manage to lock up cards,
    >>> sometimes
    >>> its the firmware, sometimes the driver, or a problem with software, or
    >>> something more random such as the BIOS causing a problem with a certain
    >>> driver etc... When I have problems connecting to the wireless router at
    >>> home, it's sometimes because my flatmate has managed to lock up the
    >>> router
    >>> with his incessant BitTorrent downloads. As I mentioned in another
    >>> post,
    >>> BitTorrent causes problems with home routers generally. I never have a
    >>> problem connecting when he's not downloading his 1000th film.

    >> Hi and thanks for the input.
    >> Since my earlier post I did uninstall nm and wifi radar, rebooted and
    >> installed wicd instead.
    >> Still no joy.
    >>
    >> I guess you are saying that when it works it just works, which it would
    >> be
    >> very difficult to disagree with! But as you also say, there are just so
    >> many
    >> variables in ubuntu or any linux distro that you don't have in windows or
    >> even mac. So they have a much easier job making it work. But the bottom
    >> line
    >> is that if Ubuntu and others don't put more effort into this area and a
    >> few
    >> others which involve connectivity and multimedia then I doubt linux will
    >> ever get a critical mass of support on the desktop. I just can't see any
    >> connection between Mark Shuttleworth's words this week and recent reports
    >> of
    >> how these issues have been prioritised.
    >> Very sad.

    > Played with Ubuntu Hardy rc last night, wireless worked right off the bat.
    > Played with Kubuntu Hardy rc today, had to sudo kcontrol and config for
    > static IP then term and ifdown eth1, ifup eth1 and wireless worked after
    > that. The the network control panel for the taskbar doesn't work in
    > Kubuntu but it did in Ubuntu, go figure.

    Hi,
    I'm desparate so will try anything (ifup, down..although have done that
    before) but it's the flakiness of it all, as your experience is a good
    example.
    Cheers

  5. Re: Hardy RC and Wireless?

    David wrote:

    > Thanks but did a make install and still no good. But the card seems to be
    > recognised so may be a settings or dhcp issue rather than drivers.

    What's the output from dmesg?

  6. Re: Hardy RC and Wireless?

    > David wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks but did a make install and still no good. But the card seems to be
    >> recognised so may be a settings or dhcp issue rather than drivers.

    > What's the output from dmesg?

    Hi and thanks for getting back to me. Appreciated
    I guess you dont want the whole outout of dmesg so I have tried to select
    what I think may be appropriate.
    (As an aside could it be anything to do with power modes eg the card being
    asleep..although I dont see how I can initiate it as it a desktop PC..in
    which case do you need more outputs from dmesg??)

    Here goes:
    [ 38.193565] ssb: Sonics Silicon Backplane found on PCI device
    0000:00:0f.0
    [ 38.197795] ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKB] enabled at IRQ 5
    [ 38.197807] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:11.0[A] -> Link [LNKB] -> GSI 5
    (level, low) -> IRQ 5
    [ 38.198473] eth0: RealTek RTL8139 at 0xc800, 00:08:54:46:10:7d, IRQ 5
    [ 38.198477] eth0: Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8100B/8139D'
    [ 57.203162] eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x41E1
    [ 58.847807] b43-phy0: Broadcom 4306 WLAN found
    [ 58.940122] phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'simple'
    [ 62.321441] input: b43-phy0 as /devices/virtual/input/input6
    [ 64.162528] lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).
    [ 76.608764] eth0: no IPv6 routers present
    [ 80.471915] wlan0: Initial auth_alg=0
    [ 80.471934] wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:18:4d:49:2c:0e
    [ 80.671342] wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:18:4d:49:2c:0e
    [ 80.871313] wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:18:4d:49:2c:0e
    [ 81.071218] wlan0: authentication with AP 00:18:4d:49:2c:0e timed out

    Thanks again
    Dave

  7. Re: Hardy RC and Wireless?

    David wrote:

    > Hi and thanks for getting back to me. Appreciated
    > I guess you dont want the whole outout of dmesg so I have tried to select
    > what I think may be appropriate.

    Just to be sure, send the output of:

    dmesg | grep wlan0

    and

    dmesg | grep b43-phy0

    > (As an aside could it be anything to do with power modes eg the card being
    > asleep..although I dont see how I can initiate it as it a desktop PC..in
    > which case do you need more outputs from dmesg??)

    The card looks like it's operating okay. Have you tried using iwconfig
    and dhclient on the command line? I find, for some reason, resetting
    the WiFi parameters while the card is negotiating with the router gets
    it to connect when there are problems. This doesn't happen often.

    Does your router use WEP or WPA? if WEP, try:

    iwconfig wlan0 essid (name of your network) key (your wepkey)
    dhclient wlan0

    If your router uses WPA, try changing it to WEP as it might be a problem
    with WPA compatibility.

  8. Re: Hardy RC and Wireless?

    > David wrote:
    >
    >> Hi and thanks for getting back to me. Appreciated
    >> I guess you dont want the whole outout of dmesg so I have tried to select
    >> what I think may be appropriate.

    > Just to be sure, send the output of:
    >
    > dmesg | grep wlan0
    >
    > and
    >
    > dmesg | grep b43-phy0
    >
    >> (As an aside could it be anything to do with power modes eg the card
    >> being asleep..although I dont see how I can initiate it as it a desktop
    >> PC..in which case do you need more outputs from dmesg??)

    > The card looks like it's operating okay. Have you tried using iwconfig
    > and dhclient on the command line? I find, for some reason, resetting the
    > WiFi parameters while the card is negotiating with the router gets it to
    > connect when there are problems. This doesn't happen often.
    >
    > Does your router use WEP or WPA? if WEP, try:
    >
    > iwconfig wlan0 essid (name of your network) key (your wepkey)
    > dhclient wlan0
    >
    > If your router uses WPA, try changing it to WEP as it might be a problem
    > with WPA compatibility.

    Hi again,
    I just tried your suggestion and used (see below) and got (see below):

    ---------------------
    david@david-ubuntu:~$ sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid sally000 key **********
    david@david-ubuntu:~$ dhclient wlan0
    Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.6
    Copyright 2004-2007 Internet Systems Consortium.
    All rights reserved.
    For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/

    wmaster0: unknown hardware address type 801
    can't create /var/lib/dhcp3/dhclient.leases: Permission denied
    Can't create /var/run/dhclient.pid: Permission denied
    drop_privileges: could not set group id: Operation not permitted
    david@david-ubuntu:~$

    ---------------------
    Then I did a dmesg, using sudo as it seems not to report some parts of the
    message if I just use user privileges...

    david@david-ubuntu:~$ sudo dmesg | grep wlan0
    [ 65.621463] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
    [ 80.471915] wlan0: Initial auth_alg=0
    [ 80.471934] wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:18:4d:49:2c:0e
    [ 80.671342] wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:18:4d:49:2c:0e
    [ 80.871313] wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:18:4d:49:2c:0e
    [ 81.071218] wlan0: authentication with AP 00:18:4d:49:2c:0e timed out
    [32910.130778] wlan0: Initial auth_alg=0
    [32910.130793] wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:18:4d:49:2c:0e
    [32910.327264] wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:18:4d:49:2c:0e
    [32910.527123] wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:18:4d:49:2c:0e
    [32910.726958] wlan0: authentication with AP 00:18:4d:49:2c:0e timed out
    [32940.054212] wlan0: Initial auth_alg=0
    [32940.054226] wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:18:4d:49:2c:0e
    [32940.252353] wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:18:4d:49:2c:0e
    [32940.452209] wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:18:4d:49:2c:0e
    [32940.652084] wlan0: authentication with AP 00:18:4d:49:2c:0e timed out

    david@david-ubuntu:~$ sudo dmesg | grep b43-phy0
    [ 58.847807] b43-phy0: Broadcom 4306 WLAN found
    [ 62.321441] input: b43-phy0 as /devices/virtual/input/input6
    [ 64.216625] Registered led device: b43-phy0:tx
    [ 64.216737] Registered led device: b43-phy0:rx
    [ 64.216816] Registered led device: b43-phy0:radio
    david@david-ubuntu:~$

    ------------------------------

    Does this help you?
    Dave

  9. Re: Hardy RC and Wireless?

    David wrote:

    > Does this help you?
    > Dave

    I can't see any specific problem with the driver.

    When you run the ifconfig and dhclient commands, you need to use sudo.
    Try that and see what happens.

  10. Re: Hardy RC and Wireless?

    > David wrote:
    >
    >> Does this help you?
    >> Dave

    > I can't see any specific problem with the driver.
    >
    > When you run the ifconfig and dhclient commands, you need to use sudo. Try
    > that and see what happens.

    Yep, I did that...please see previous message.
    Wonder if its anything to do with dhcp?
    Thanks

  11. Re: Hardy RC and Wireless?

    David wrote:

    > "White Spirit" wrote in message

    >> When you run the ifconfig and dhclient commands, you need to use sudo. Try
    >> that and see what happens.

    > Yep, I did that...please see previous message.
    > Wonder if its anything to do with dhcp?
    > Thanks

    Your pasted text doesn't include sudo for dhclient, hence not having
    permission to create the dhcp lease. Try again with sudo. If it still
    doesn't work, try Googling for 'wmaster0: unknown hardware address type
    801' and also for your specific card with Ubuntu. If people have
    encountered similar problems, you'll probably find a solution in a forum.

    The problem could also be because you're using prerelease Hardy and
    something is broken within.

  12. Re: Hardy RC and Wireless?

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 20:15:55 +0100, David wrote:

    > "Meat Plow" wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 18:15:47 +0100, David wrote:
    >>

    >>> "White Spirit" wrote in message

    >>> Hi and thanks for the input.
    >>> Since my earlier post I did uninstall nm and wifi radar, rebooted and
    >>> installed wicd instead.
    >>> Still no joy.
    >>>
    >>> I guess you are saying that when it works it just works, which it would
    >>> be
    >>> very difficult to disagree with! But as you also say, there are just so
    >>> many
    >>> variables in ubuntu or any linux distro that you don't have in windows or
    >>> even mac. So they have a much easier job making it work. But the bottom
    >>> line
    >>> is that if Ubuntu and others don't put more effort into this area and a
    >>> few
    >>> others which involve connectivity and multimedia then I doubt linux will
    >>> ever get a critical mass of support on the desktop. I just can't see any
    >>> connection between Mark Shuttleworth's words this week and recent reports
    >>> of
    >>> how these issues have been prioritised.
    >>> Very sad.

    >> Played with Ubuntu Hardy rc last night, wireless worked right off the bat.
    >> Played with Kubuntu Hardy rc today, had to sudo kcontrol and config for
    >> static IP then term and ifdown eth1, ifup eth1 and wireless worked after
    >> that. The the network control panel for the taskbar doesn't work in
    >> Kubuntu but it did in Ubuntu, go figure.
    >>

    > Hi,
    > I'm desparate so will try anything (ifup, down..although have done that
    > before) but it's the flakiness of it all, as your experience is a good
    > example.
    > Cheers

    Yeh seems to be a bug. Wait for the official release.

  13. Re: Hardy RC and Wireless?

    "Doug Jamal" wrote in message

    > I'm actually triple booting on my Toshiba laptop with Ubuntu Gutsy,
    > PCLinuxOS 2008 Gnome and Windows Vista Ultimate.

    What model Toshiba? (I've got a Satellite L40.....)

  14. Re: Hardy RC and Wireless?

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 12:34:59 +0100, I was intrigued when Gordon posted the
    following:

    > "Doug Jamal" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I'm actually triple booting on my Toshiba laptop with Ubuntu Gutsy,
    >> PCLinuxOS 2008 Gnome and Windows Vista Ultimate.

    > What model Toshiba? (I've got a Satellite L40.....)

    I have a Toshiba Satellite A135-S4499. It came with Core2Duo, Windows
    Vista Ultimate, 2GB RAM, 2 *separate* hard drives, yada yada yada.

    --
    Just Me, D

  15. Re: Hardy RC and Wireless?

    On 2008-04-22, David wrote:

    > Hi, I'm desparate so will try anything (ifup, down..although have
    > done that before) but it's the flakiness of it all, as your
    > experience is a good example. Cheers

    Any better experience with the new Hardy Heron release version? I am
    about to lose my Hardy RC partition to another distro but wifi has
    been rock solid on it. Hopefully a fresh install of the release
    version will get you on the right track.

    Andrew

    --
    http://www.andrews-corner.org

  16. Re: Hardy RC and Wireless?

    "andrew" wrote in message
    > On 2008-04-22, David wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, I'm desparate so will try anything (ifup, down..although have
    >> done that before) but it's the flakiness of it all, as your
    >> experience is a good example. Cheers

    > Any better experience with the new Hardy Heron release version? I am
    > about to lose my Hardy RC partition to another distro but wifi has
    > been rock solid on it. Hopefully a fresh install of the release
    > version will get you on the right track.
    >
    > Andrew
    >
    > --
    > http://www.andrews-corner.org

    Hello Andrew,

    Sorry for the delayed reply but the weekend got in the way.

    Short answer is No. I did a clean install (formated HDD etc) of 8.04 but
    still no luck with the broadcom wifi but did get my usb stick up and running
    with no problem.

    Longer answer: made contact with a gent who has a hand in developing the b43
    and by private email we are trying to fix it (well, he is) in the hope it
    will help others, although this has got this newbie into areas he never knew
    existed!
    Fingers crossed.

    Good luck with your new distro hunt. Seen anything you like more than 8.04??
    I have to say I still am a great fan of Ubuntu after looking at some others
    recently.

    Cheers
    Dave

  17. Re: Hardy RC and Wireless?

    On 2008-04-28, David wrote:

    > "andrew" wrote in message

    >> Any better experience with the new Hardy Heron release version? I am
    >> about to lose my Hardy RC partition to another distro but wifi has
    >> been rock solid on it. Hopefully a fresh install of the release
    >> version will get you on the right track.

    > Short answer is No. I did a clean install (formated HDD etc) of 8.04 but
    > still no luck with the broadcom wifi but did get my usb stick up and running
    > with no problem.
    >
    > Longer answer: made contact with a gent who has a hand in developing the b43
    > and by private email we are trying to fix it (well, he is) in the hope it
    > will help others, although this has got this newbie into areas he never knew
    > existed!

    Good news hopefully, and I am glad you have found someone with some
    expertise.

    > Good luck with your new distro hunt. Seen anything you like more than 8.04??
    > I have to say I still am a great fan of Ubuntu after looking at some others
    > recently.

    I confess it is not actually a hunt, I have been using slackware for a
    while now on my desktop. I have returned to Ubuntu briefly to test the
    wifi while waiting for slackware 12.1 to be released. Now that I see
    wifi will work with this kernel and firmware I shall probably retreat
    to slackware post release.

    Andrew
    --
    http://www.andrews-corner.org