New To Linux - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on New To Linux - Ubuntu ; I am new to Linux and want to get started learing it. I am about as dumb as dirt so if it takes you a minute to learn something then it takes me a day. If you know of a ...

  1. New To Linux

    I am new to Linux and want to get started learing it. I am about as dumb as
    dirt so if it takes you a minute to learn something then it takes me a day.
    If you know of a place that would help me get started I would greatly
    appreciate it if you would post it.

    Thank you in advance for your help.

    -=TD=-

  2. Re: New To Linux

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 16:41:23 -0500, Mr. Nobody wrote:
    > I am new to Linux and want to get started learing it. I am about as dumb as
    > dirt so if it takes you a minute to learn something then it takes me a day.
    > If you know of a place that would help me get started I would greatly
    > appreciate it if you would post it.

    Since you posted to ubuntu, go to http://www.ubuntu.com/
    Do a little research and download the cd, verify the md5sum before
    burning an iso image to cd.
    Boot cd and play around. It will be running really slow because it runs from
    cd.
    When feeling braver, click Install and it will be installed to hard
    drive and will run much faster.

    This aught to help crossing over to linux.
    http://www.linuxrsp.ru/win-lin-soft/table-eng.html

    When you come back with questions, first read

    And do bookmark the large FAQ search engine at
    http://groups.google.com/advanced_search

  3. Re: New To Linux

    Mr. Nobody wrote:
    > I am new to Linux and want to get started learing it. I am about as
    > dumb as dirt so if it takes you a minute to learn something then it
    > takes me a day. If you know of a place that would help me get started
    > I would greatly appreciate it if you would post it.

    You could go somewhere like DistroWatch and try to figure out which of
    the many distributions to start fiddling with, but it is a little easier
    to just head in the direction of a particular distro like Ubuntu than to
    fret over the confusion of various alternative distros.

    There is a world of help in this newsgroup and the Ub forum for anything
    you want to know, and the Ub distro gives you flexibility in terms of
    alternative desktops. In that vein, it is also easier to just decide
    that you are going to go with gnome ubuntu than trying to figure out if
    it should be KDE or XFCE or some other desktop.

    So, now that you've decided that it is going to be Ubuntu gnome, you can
    focus on the documentation for the distro and its most popular desktop
    which is very very plentiful. Here are 3 useful places you can start.

    https://help.ubuntu.com/7.10/about-ubuntu/C/index.html introduction to
    Ubuntu. It explains the Ubuntu philosophy and roots,

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UserDocumentation community
    documentation for Ubuntu, - Getting Help - Getting Ubuntu - Switching
    From Another Operating System - Connecting and Configuring Hardware

    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index Ubuntu Linux Resources - What is
    this? - It's a collection of tutorials and random other pages that will
    help Ubuntu users.

    --
    Mike Easter

  4. Re: New To Linux

    On 2008-04-20, Mr. Nobody wrote:
    > I am new to Linux and want to get started learing it. I am about as dumb as
    > dirt so if it takes you a minute to learn something then it takes me a day.
    > If you know of a place that would help me get started I would greatly
    > appreciate it if you would post it.
    >
    > Thank you in advance for your help.
    >
    > -=TD=-

    You could also try "wubi"

    http://sourceforge.net/project/downl...se_mirror=osdn

    --
    * I am the walrus. *
    * RLU 451587 *

  5. Re: New To Linux

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 16:41:23 -0500, Mr. Nobody wrote:

    > I am new to Linux and want to get started learing it. I am about as dumb as
    > dirt so if it takes you a minute to learn something then it takes me a day.
    > If you know of a place that would help me get started I would greatly
    > appreciate it if you would post it.
    >
    > Thank you in advance for your help.
    >
    > -=TD=-

    Linux is free, and disk space is dirt cheap. Pick a distro (Ubuntu,
    perhaps?), load it, and play. It's great fun.

    --
    MarkA
    Keeper of the Butter Dish of Balshazar

  6. Re: New To Linux

    Mr. Nobody wrote:
    > I am new to Linux and want to get started learing it. I am about as dumb as
    > dirt so if it takes you a minute to learn something then it takes me a day.
    > If you know of a place that would help me get started I would greatly
    > appreciate it if you would post it.

    I found 'The Official Ubuntu Book' very readable, easy to follow and
    worth having as a starter.
    In the UK, Computer Active Magazine published a superb Ultimate Guide to
    Linux (Ubuntu) a must have for anyone starting, well illustrated and
    easy to follow look very cheap.
    here:http://www.computeractive-direct.co....16&itemid=2670
    art1.09000009.07080305@hotmail.com> (try WH Smiths)

  7. Re: New To Linux

    Mr. Nobody wrote:
    > I am new to Linux and want to get started learing it. I am about as dumb as
    > dirt so if it takes you a minute to learn something then it takes me a day.
    > If you know of a place that would help me get started I would greatly
    > appreciate it if you would post it.
    >
    > Thank you in advance for your help.
    >
    > -=TD=-

    Ubuntu is a good place to start. Ideally you want to install it on its
    own machine. Dualbooting (multiple operating systems running
    sequentially on the same machine) is always an option.

    It's always a good idea to make local contacts with people running the
    same system as you. User groups are a good example. In Winnipeg we have
    four groups capable of answering Linux questions (some will provide you
    more help than others). The advantage of talking with people in person
    is if you are unsure how to phrase a question it is easier and faster to
    get a response than it is through the forums and newsgroups.
    Additionally the user groups often have demonstrations of various
    programs. The mistake most people make is they belong only to one group.
    Multiple groups = multiple sources of information.

    Later
    Mike

  8. Re: New To Linux

    Mr. Nobody wrote:
    > I am new to Linux and want to get started learing it. I am about as dumb as
    > dirt so if it takes you a minute to learn something then it takes me a day.
    > If you know of a place that would help me get started I would greatly
    > appreciate it if you would post it.
    >
    > Thank you in advance for your help.
    >
    > -=TD=-

    I bought several books on Ubuntu Linux and learned enough to use the OS
    ok and manage fine with just email and Usenet.

    Gnome is a graphical interface some what like windows only simpler.
    Just point and click.

    You can either learn all the scripts or just learn how to make it do
    what you want and not bother with the scripts.

    Have a good day

    Derryl Killan

    Calgary

  9. Re: New To Linux

    Mr. Nobody wrote:

    > I am new to Linux and want to get started learing it. I am about as
    > dumb as dirt so if it takes you a minute to learn something then it
    > takes me a day. If you know of a place that would help me get
    > started I would greatly appreciate it if you would post it.
    >
    > Thank you in advance for your help.
    >
    > -=TD=-

    Is there a LUG (Linux User Group) near you? These people can be a
    really big help for a new user:

    http://www.linux.org/groups/

  10. Re: New To Linux

    Sarah D. wrote:
    > Mr. Nobody wrote:
    >

    >>I am new to Linux and want to get started learing it. I am about as
    >>dumb as dirt so if it takes you a minute to learn something then it
    >>takes me a day. If you know of a place that would help me get
    >>started I would greatly appreciate it if you would post it.
    >>
    >>Thank you in advance for your help.
    >>
    >>-=TD=-

    > Is there a LUG (Linux User Group) near you? These people can be a
    > really big help for a new user:
    >
    > http://www.linux.org/groups/

    Here is a good easy to follow Linux on Line tutor
    http://www.linuxsurvival.com/index.p...CE&mid=&ceid=4

  11. Re: New To Linux

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu, Mr. Nobody had the audacity to say that:

    > I am new to Linux and want to get started learing it. I am about as dumb as
    > dirt so if it takes you a minute to learn something then it takes me a day.
    > If you know of a place that would help me get started I would greatly
    > appreciate it if you would post it.
    >
    > Thank you in advance for your help.
    >
    > -=TD=-

    For people such as yourself, I would go with a *for-pay* distro like
    Xandros, SUSE Enterprise or Linspire. It will give you a taste of what
    Linux is about, let you experiment with the console, and provide training
    wheels should you muck things up. Chances are, everything will work out of
    the box including audio-visual, and you prolly won't have to go searching
    around for this or that driver/program, etc.

    It's how I got started, and it definitely improved my outlook on Linux, by
    making my first experience less frustrating that it might have been
    otherwise. Of course, that was a few years ago, and free distros like
    Ubuntu, et al have come a ways in providing seamless desktop experiences.

    Good luck, mate...

    *R* *H*

    --
    "For me, prayer is a surge of the heart; it is a simple look turned toward
    heaven, it is a cry of recognition and of love, embracing both trial and

  12. Re: New To Linux

    Am Sun, 27 Apr 2008 19:36:47 +0000 schrieb John F. Morse:

    > Books are so Old School. Last time I looked, it was 2008.
    >
    > Subject material is always so out of date in books. The Internet is
    > up-to-date.
    >
    > Books kill trees. The Internet doesn't.
    >
    > Libraries and bookstores are polluted with human sickness. The Internet
    > is safe in your home.
    >
    > The trip to a library or bookstore burns fuel. The Internet doesn't.
    >
    > Burning fuel creates pollution. The Internet doesn't.
    >
    > Old books are a fire hazard, so they require a landfill. The Internet is
    > Green.

    Just wondering if you're ever going to have children.
    SCNR

    -S.

    --
    If you think technology can solve your problems you don't understand
    technology and you don't understand your problems (Marcus J. Ranum).

  13. Re: New To Linux

    Stefan Bischof wrote:
    > Am Sun, 27 Apr 2008 19:36:47 +0000 schrieb John F. Morse:
    >

    >> Books are so Old School. Last time I looked, it was 2008.
    >>
    >> Subject material is always so out of date in books. The Internet is
    >> up-to-date.
    >>
    >> Books kill trees. The Internet doesn't.
    >>
    >> Libraries and bookstores are polluted with human sickness. The Internet
    >> is safe in your home.
    >>
    >> The trip to a library or bookstore burns fuel. The Internet doesn't.
    >>
    >> Burning fuel creates pollution. The Internet doesn't.
    >>
    >> Old books are a fire hazard, so they require a landfill. The Internet is
    >> Green.
    >>

    > Just wondering if you're ever going to have children.
    > SCNR
    >
    > -S.

    I certainly hope not! Do you think a book is needed? SCNR.

    I had a son 42 years ago though, if that matters.

    --
    John

  14. Re: New To Linux

    Walter Bushell wrote:
    > In article
    > ,
    > "John F. Morse" wrote:
    >

    >> Burning fuel creates pollution. The Internet doesn't.
    >>

    > Actually the internet does create pollution. All those data centers
    > gobble electricity.

    Two different animals. ;-)

    --
    John