newby - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on newby - Ubuntu ; John F. Morse wrote: > If you no longer need any Windows programs, then you can easily rid > yourself of the OS. However some of us still require Windows for > employer-related work, or a rare program with no ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 32 of 32

  1. Re: newby

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > If you no longer need any Windows programs, then you can easily rid
    > yourself of the OS. However some of us still require Windows for
    > employer-related work, or a rare program with no Linux equivalent. In my
    > case it is AutoCAD, whose files clients demand. I no longer have
    > clients, but I do have a lot of my own drawings, so I keep one Windows
    > box around just in case.

    I have the same problem with employers, err, clients, wanting everything
    done in the Windows world, and AutoCad is one of those too damn popular
    programs that they won't give up. If I have to do it, kicking and
    screaming, I will have them send me an AutoCad package to install on my
    machine for the duration. Same thing with Electronic circuit CAD,
    layout, and simulation. I can do a lot with Linux, but the big companies
    still have their heads up B.G.'s ass.
    Bill Baka

  2. Re: newby

    On 2008-04-21, Tim Mathews wrote:
    > John F. Morse wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:

    >>> Not very well from my experience so far.

    >> You forgot the next sentence:
    >>
    >> "Some people swear by it, and others naturally swear at it." ;-)
    >>

    > I'm gonna give it a try during this learning phase. I can live with a
    > shortcoming or two for the convenience of having the one program which
    > does all of those things for me. That was why I was so attracted to
    > Thunderbird when I heard the next release--well, version 3.0 anyway--was
    > going to include a calendar. For now, I'll setup Evolution on one of
    > the systems and see how it works.
    >
    > Thanks again

    There is a calendar add-on for Thunderbird called Lightening. Go to
    Tools->Extensions on the Thunderbird menu and select the "Get More
    Extensions" link in the dialog box.

    HTH

  3. Re: newby

    Bill Baka wrote:
    > John F. Morse wrote:
    >> If you no longer need any Windows programs, then you can easily rid
    >> yourself of the OS. However some of us still require Windows for
    >> employer-related work, or a rare program with no Linux equivalent. In
    >> my case it is AutoCAD, whose files clients demand. I no longer have
    >> clients, but I do have a lot of my own drawings, so I keep one
    >> Windows box around just in case.
    >>

    > I have the same problem with employers, err, clients, wanting
    > everything done in the Windows world, and AutoCad is one of those too
    > damn popular programs that they won't give up. If I have to do it,
    > kicking and screaming, I will have them send me an AutoCad package to
    > install on my machine for the duration. Same thing with Electronic
    > circuit CAD, layout, and simulation. I can do a lot with Linux, but
    > the big companies still have their heads up B.G.'s ass.
    > Bill Baka

    It will change, Bill. It must change.

    I have been bugging AutoDesk for a couple of years for a Unix version.
    They might already be working to develop it, but as most businesses do,
    they'll keep a tight lip until they have it perfected.

    I guess we could also use a Unix port of MicroStation while we're at it.
    ;-)

    --
    John

  4. Re: newby

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 19:53:44 +0000, John F. Morse wrote:

    > Bill Baka wrote:
    >> John F. Morse wrote:

    > It will change, Bill. It must change.
    >
    > I have been bugging AutoDesk for a couple of years for a Unix version.
    > They might already be working to develop it, but as most businesses do,
    > they'll keep a tight lip until they have it perfected.

    I might be confusing it with another product, but wasn't Autocad
    originally Unix then ported to Windows because smaller companies were
    going with PC's instead of big iron and Unix?

  5. Re: newby

    >> There is a program called Evolution (it's the default e-mail program
    >> for GNOME if I remember correctly), which is a similar program to
    >> Microsoft Outlook (not Outlook Eggspress). It has a calender,
    >> appointment book, etc., like Outlook, but unlike Outlook, Evolution
    >> can do NNTP news as well.

    I trust you're duly impressed in that you're getting my initial post
    from Thunderbird on my Ubuntu laptop. I'm testing Thunderbird on this
    unit and Evolution on the other and I have a question...did I read the
    above right and Evolution is supposed to do news? I've found everything
    on it you mentioned, address book, calendar, mail but I haven't been
    able to find anything about adding a news account. Is the news portion
    some sort of add-on I need to install?

  6. Re: newby

    JD wrote:
    > On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 19:53:44 +0000, John F. Morse wrote:
    >
    >> Bill Baka wrote:
    >>
    >>> John F. Morse wrote:
    >>>

    >> It will change, Bill. It must change.
    >>
    >> I have been bugging AutoDesk for a couple of years for a Unix version.
    >> They might already be working to develop it, but as most businesses do,
    >> they'll keep a tight lip until they have it perfected.
    >>

    > I might be confusing it with another product, but wasn't Autocad
    > originally Unix then ported to Windows because smaller companies were
    > going with PC's instead of big iron and Unix?

    I don't know JD. I have not heard of this before, but I suppose it is
    possible.

    Checking Wikipedia I see that there was a Unix version:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autocad

    I have R-11, R-12 and R-13, but I doubt they have the Unix code. I'll
    certainly be checking though! ;-)

    I also have R-14 and LT97, plus 2000, 2000i and 2002. Most all of my
    stuff is in 2000i, and I can't afford to stay current without it
    generating some income.

    --
    John

  7. Re: newby

    Tim Mathews wrote:

    > I trust you're duly impressed in that you're getting my initial post
    > from Thunderbird on my Ubuntu laptop. I'm testing Thunderbird on
    > this unit and Evolution on the other and I have a question...did I
    > read the above right and Evolution is supposed to do news? I've
    > found everything on it you mentioned, address book, calendar, mail
    > but I haven't been able to find anything about adding a news account.
    > Is the news portion some sort of add-on I need to install?

    No. Like some other mail/news apps, Evolution sorta thinks of news as
    just another mail account.

    Evolution/ Edit/ Preferences - Evolution Preferences titlebar - L pane
    select Mail accounts - Add button - Evolution Configuration Account
    Assistant titlebar (welcome to the evolution mail configuration
    assistant) - Identity completion phase - next is 'Receiving Email'
    configuration where you choose server type which includes 11 different
    choices, one of which is Usenet news, which is your first clue that this
    isn't actually going to be an email account.

    Pretty weird, huh?

    Evolution has a number of other features that will cause you to feel
    that they weren't really very serious about handling news.

    --
    Mike Easter

  8. Re: newby

    On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 22:36 +0000, Tim Mathews wrote:

    > >> There is a program called Evolution (it's the default e-mail program
    > >> for GNOME if I remember correctly), which is a similar program to
    > >> Microsoft Outlook (not Outlook Eggspress). It has a calender,
    > >> appointment book, etc., like Outlook, but unlike Outlook, Evolution
    > >> can do NNTP news as well.
    > >>

    > I trust you're duly impressed in that you're getting my initial post
    > from Thunderbird on my Ubuntu laptop. I'm testing Thunderbird on this
    > unit and Evolution on the other and I have a question...did I read the
    > above right and Evolution is supposed to do news? I've found everything
    > on it you mentioned, address book, calendar, mail but I haven't been
    > able to find anything about adding a news account. Is the news portion
    > some sort of add-on I need to install?

    Very impressed! ;-)

    Evolution's news servers are created just like e-mail accounts. Go down
    the same path but choose the things that are obvious for a news account.

    I'm using Evolution to reply here; check the header.

    I really don't care that much for Evolution, but it does provide very
    easy Security options (PGP, etc.).

    --
    John

    No Microsoft products were used in the preparation or transmission of
    this message.

    The EULA sounds like it was written by a team of lawyers who want to
    tell me what I can't do. The GPL sounds like it was written by a human
    being, who wants me to know what I can do.

  9. Re: newby

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 23:38:28 +0000, John F. Morse wrote:

    > I also have R-14 and LT97, plus 2000, 2000i and 2002. Most all of my
    > stuff is in 2000i, and I can't afford to stay current without it
    > generating some income.

    That is one of the many things that disliked about AutoCAD. It is
    overpriced, bloated, and over-complicated. When I was still doing cad
    work, LT had just been released. I used DesignCAD 7, then exported the
    drawing. AutoCAD was installed solely to import that file and save in
    AutoCAD format for the customers. AutoCAD was a resource pig, while
    DesignCAD 7 was snappy even on a 486 with 16MB of RAM.

  10. Re: newby

    JD wrote:
    > On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 23:38:28 +0000, John F. Morse wrote:
    >

    >> I also have R-14 and LT97, plus 2000, 2000i and 2002. Most all of my
    >> stuff is in 2000i, and I can't afford to stay current without it
    >> generating some income.
    >>

    > That is one of the many things that disliked about AutoCAD. It is
    > overpriced, bloated, and over-complicated. When I was still doing cad
    > work, LT had just been released. I used DesignCAD 7, then exported the
    > drawing. AutoCAD was installed solely to import that file and save in
    > AutoCAD format for the customers. AutoCAD was a resource pig, while
    > DesignCAD 7 was snappy even on a 486 with 16MB of RAM.

    I have Autocad dating back to version 11 for Windows 3.1 and have never
    seen anything near close to a UNIX version. If I am wrong, feel free to
    correct me.
    Bill Baka

  11. Re: newby

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 04:59:20 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:

    > JD wrote:
    >> On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 23:38:28 +0000, John F. Morse wrote:
    >>

    > I have Autocad dating back to version 11 for Windows 3.1 and have never
    > seen anything near close to a UNIX version. If I am wrong, feel free to
    > correct me.
    > Bill Baka

    You have only seen the Windows versions then. Once upon a time, there was a
    UNIX and even an Apple version too. This is a cut and paste, so I hope it
    doesn't screw up the formatting.

    From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoCAD:

    Release 12 N/A 12 1992, June last release for Apple Macintosh
    Release 13 N/A 13 1994, November last release for Unix, MS-DOS and
    Windows 3.11

    JD

  12. Re: newby

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 12:23:28 +0000, TS Mathews wrote:

    > I've just started using Ubuntu having setup Hardy Heron on my HP laptop
    > and found it incredibly smooth and easy...it even detected my wireless
    > network which practically had me jumping for joy. An initial thought
    > that getting a wireless mouse to work proved wrong as the initial
    > failure must have been a fluke. A quick post here prompted me to try
    > again and, viola, my Logitech wireless mouse AND keyboard work
    > flawlessly.
    >
    > So, I decided to continue the testing and installed HH on my backup
    > desktop, also an HP but for whatever reason, I get hung up on the log
    > in.

    Since posting this, I've done lots of testing with Kubuntu and even Suse
    which, oddly enough, gave me a hint about what the problem might be.
    Grub wouldn't install but LILO did and there was a prompt about the video
    being less than ideal. I decided to try adding a video card (that system
    had an integrated motherboard using something from ATI) and, after also
    having to upgrade my power supply, the card worked and I decided to try
    Ubuntu again since the final released version was then available--24th of
    this month. So, to make this long story short, everything worked like a
    charm. I still have no fully discloseable idea why grub has a problem
    with integrated video cards--or the ones on HP Pavilions anyway--but
    adding a video card seem to solve the problem.

    So, I'm now trying Pan as my newsreader and hope between it and
    Evolution for my mail/calendar goodies, I'll be set. (an update to
    this--I had to send this with Thunderbird as Pan refuses to send based
    on my profile and I haven't figured it out yet)

    The best news is, I'm down to only one program I still need Windows for
    and, if I'm willing to change from a pocket pc or palm to a Blackberry, I
    can get around that and dump Windows completely.

    Oops, the drool is making a mess of my keyboard. :-)

    So, thanks to all of you for all your help...it's greatly appreciated and
    I'm loving Linux more and more with each passing day.

    Tim

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2