Open Office spell checker - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Open Office spell checker - Ubuntu ; Cushie wrote: > .... snip ... > > Well, thanks to this technology and spell checkers we can have > such a sensible discussion and understand each other. Cheers to > the Canadians for showing there distinctive roots too! And ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. Re: Open Office spell checker

    Cushie wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > Well, thanks to this technology and spell checkers we can have
    > such a sensible discussion and understand each other. Cheers to
    > the Canadians for showing there distinctive roots too! And maybe
    > just a little cheer for our Bill who unwittingly promoted the use
    > of english around the world.

    One of my favorites is those traffic signs:

    SLOW
    Children

    and I fail to see the need to advertise that the local children are
    slow. Let the motorists find this out by experiment.

    (Hint to the inexperienced - adverbs have a final 'ly')

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  2. Re: Open Office spell checker

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 19:08:59 GMT, "John F. Morse"
    wrote:

    >Will wrote:

    >What about the Quebec area, where French has some heavy use? Isn't it an
    >"official" dual-language province? I don't care about the French part,
    >but what does this do to English spelling?

    If many in the Quebec government had their way English spelling would
    be eliminated.

    Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226

  3. Re: OT: Re: Open Office spell checker

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 23:11:11 +0000, John F. Morse wrote:

    > I'd love to pack up and depart Kansas, and live in northern Ontario, or
    > westward.

    I grew up in Norther Manitoba, some of the best fishing in the country.
    From my house i could walk 15 minutes in any direction and have first
    class fishing.

    -will

  4. Re: OT: Re: Open Office spell checker

    Will wrote:
    > On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 23:11:11 +0000, John F. Morse wrote:
    >
    >> I'd love to pack up and depart Kansas, and live in northern Ontario, or
    >> westward.
    >>

    > I grew up in Norther Manitoba, some of the best fishing in the country.
    > From my house i could walk 15 minutes in any direction and have first
    > class fishing.
    >
    > -will

    I have always looked upon MB, SK and AB as some of the prettiest areas
    I've ever seen (in pictures and on TV). You were very fortunate to have
    spend your childhood there. I grew up in Kansas City, Kansas, where you
    don't dare go now, even in the daytime.

    ON has a lot of pretty lakes, ... eh, black flies and mosquitoes. I
    wouldn't be surprised if the fly-in lake where we spent a week might not
    nave been in northern Manitoba. All I can remember is we flew out of Red
    Lake (the end of a vehicular road in 1981), in an old WWII pontoon
    plane, and took about an hour at around 100 MPH.

    This may just be the very same plane: http://www.red-lake.com

    But it never flew that level! There were four of us guys and the pilot.
    Also in the plane were two 55-gallon drums of gasoline for the boat
    outboard motors up at the cabin area. They would be dumped out and
    hidden in the weeds so the natives wouldn't steal the petrol. I rode in
    the right front seat, but could not see out of the windshield due to the
    tilt. ;-)

    The lake where we landed was called "Bear Berry" but I understand that
    is just a local name, and probably one of many names the locals used
    through the years. During our week, we saw no other human beings, except
    for one plane one day, and a distant fishing boat on a lake further
    north another day. Total isolation from the world. We four vs. Walleye. ;-)

    A few years ago I thought I found the lake on an Internet map. It was
    called "Warwick Lake" which was in ON, but not too far from the MB
    border that far north. Since the lake was one of the hundreds of "wide
    spots" on the Severn River, it couldn't be in MB.

    Canadian provinces further east have too many people. I don't really
    care for the Maritime areas because I'm not much of a sea lover (except
    for sea food!). This also puts BC lower down on my list of where I would
    want to live, but still beats Kansas! ;-)

    Actually the southern Ozarks area of Missouri (and northern Arkansas) is
    nice, but I wouldn't want to live in Missouri. US states have slight
    differences in their laws, taxes, etc., and luckily Kansas is closer to
    my political preferences.

    It may anger a bunch of Americans, but I've lived here for 63 years, and
    I see this country sliding down hill at a breakneck speed. There is too
    much hollow "pride" and too many corrupt politicians, or "leaders" that
    are dumber than a bag of hammers. ;-)

    I've had a desire to live in Northern Europe (i.e. NL, DE), but I'm
    quite ignorant as to their politics, taxes, etc. Americans all say that
    it is worse, but do they really look at the mess we have created and
    maintained here?

    I just know there seems to be more intelligence there than in
    dumbed-down America, where 30-minute sitcoms with canned laughter fill
    the TV screens and the children's brains.

    --
    John

  5. Re: OT: Re: Open Office spell checker

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 16:41:14 -0500, Will wrote:

    >On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 19:08:59 +0000, John F. Morse wrote:
    >

    >also strongly British (many British loyalists from the 13 Colonies
    >settled there during the Revolution). PEI and Nova Scotia were also,
    >historically speaking fairly strong British and anti-American, again due
    >to conflicts such as the war of 1812 and the Revolution.
    >
    >Newfoundland....well no one knows wtf they speak.

    I have had the official word from a very nice newfie girl -
    They speak "newfanese". Hope that settles the confusion.

    >I talk too much heh
    >
    >-will

    Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226

  6. Re: OT: Re: Open Office spell checker

    Will wrote:

    > I've been to both coasts and while I enjoyed being a tourist I don't
    > think I'd like to live at either. I'm definitely a forest type of guy
    > having grown up in northern MB.
    >
    > -will

    Reminds me of the old argument husbands and wives have about going on
    vacation. Usually the wives like the beach while hubby likes the mountains.

    Eh, remember this?: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RV_%28film%29 ;-)

    --
    John

  7. Re: OT: Re: Open Office spell checker

    Will a écrit :
    > On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 19:08:59 +0000, John F. Morse wrote:

    /snip/
    >> What about the Quebec area, where French has some heavy use? Isn't it an
    >> "official" dual-language province? I don't care about the French part,
    >> but what does this do to English spelling?

    > Quebec is a special case. They're not a dual language province but a
    > French province. All signs are in French only and I believe it's
    > actually a fine-able offence to post signs in English. Basically the
    > only English you'll get in Quebec is if you request it when dealing with
    > the Government. Throughout the country by law you can request any
    > Government service in either official language. Most large companies
    > (ie. Banks) will offer both.

    /snip/

    I Will and buddies,

    I'm not agree with you.

    Sure that Québec is a special case ;-), but it's not the hell that some
    people try to depict (not you Will, some other people).

    You can live your entire life in the Montréal area, with no french skill
    at all. Majority of the business can serve you in both official
    languages all around the Québec. And if they can't, the goodwill will
    supply.

    And for the signs, the roadsigns are in french, the advertising hoarding
    too. Plus note that Starbucks Coffee will be Les Cafés Starbucks. Not
    so hard to find the way!

    Pardon my poor english skills ... mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima
    culpa! ;-)

    jeep