Open Source Software Costing Vendors $60 Billion Dollars! - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Open Source Software Costing Vendors $60 Billion Dollars! - Ubuntu ; http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=844462 Looks like they figured in all the time wasted trying to make "free Linux" work.... -- Moshe Goldfarb Collector of soaps from around the globe. Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/...

  1. Open Source Software Costing Vendors $60 Billion Dollars!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  2. Re: Open Source Software Costing Vendors $60 Billion Dollars!

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=844462
    >
    > Looks like they figured in all the time wasted trying to make "free Linux"
    > work....

    Do you think, perchance, that that report by the Standish Group might be
    funded by Microsoft in some way?

    Have you seen the Standish Group's website? Sheesh! I wouldn't trust an
    outfit like that can't even get a proper website built to mop the
    floors, let alone conduct research at a thousand dollars a pop.

  3. Re: Open Source Software Costing Vendors $60 Billion Dollars!

    On 2008-04-17, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=844462
    >
    > Looks like they figured in all the time wasted trying to make "free Linux"
    > work....

    Try to actually read the article (which obviously was put on Business
    Wire for promotional purposes). The "cost" is not the expense of using
    open source, it is the "lost revenue from sales of closed source
    software".

    ``Open Source software is raising havoc throughout the software
    market. It is the ultimate in disruptive technology, and while to it
    is only 6% of estimated trillion dollars IT budgeted annually, it
    represents a real loss of $60 billion in annual revenues to software
    companies,"''

    Open source means that closed source businesses lose revenue.

    The perfectly mathematically correct way of restating the above quote
    is, "open source reduced software purchasing expenses by 60 billion
    dollars".

    I say, great story!!!

  4. Re: Open Source Software Costing Vendors $60 Billion Dollars!

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=844462
    >
    > Looks like they figured in all the time wasted trying to make "free Linux"
    > work....

    P.S. Who on earth ARE the Standish Group? The "Executive Officers" link
    on their website returns this error:
    Not Found
    The requested URL /about/management_team.php was not found on this server.
    Apache/1.3.41 Ben-SSL/1.57 Server at standishgroup.com Port 80

    They're a bunch of pillocks, I reckon. No sensible person should trust a
    word they say.

  5. Re: Open Source Software Costing Vendors $60 Billion Dollars!

    Ignoramus29232 wrote:

    >On 2008-04-17, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >>
    >> http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=844462
    >>
    >> Looks like they figured in all the time wasted trying to make "free Linux"
    >> work....

    >Try to actually read the article (which obviously was put on Business
    >Wire for promotional purposes). The "cost" is not the expense of using
    >open source, it is the "lost revenue from sales of closed source
    >software".
    >
    >``Open Source software is raising havoc throughout the software
    >market. It is the ultimate in disruptive technology, and while to it
    >is only 6% of estimated trillion dollars IT budgeted annually, it
    >represents a real loss of $60 billion in annual revenues to software
    >companies,"''
    >
    >Open source means that closed source businesses lose revenue.
    >
    >The perfectly mathematically correct way of restating the above quote
    >is, "open source reduced software purchasing expenses by 60 billion
    >dollars".
    >
    >I say, great story!!!

    LOL Not the first time a Wintard's fsckwitted trolling backfired, of
    course... 8)

  6. Re: Open Source Software Costing Vendors $60 Billion Dollars!

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 09:52:57 -0500, chrisv wrote:

    > Ignoramus29232 wrote:
    >
    >>On 2008-04-17, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=844462
    >>>
    >>> Looks like they figured in all the time wasted trying to make
    >>> "free Linux" work....

    >> Try to actually read the article (which obviously was put on
    >> Business Wire for promotional purposes). The "cost" is not the
    >> expense of using open source, it is the "lost revenue from sales of
    >> closed source software".
    >>
    >> ``Open Source software is raising havoc throughout the software
    >> market. It is the ultimate in disruptive technology, and while to
    >> it is only 6% of estimated trillion dollars IT budgeted annually,
    >> it represents a real loss of $60 billion in annual revenues to
    >> software companies,"''
    >>
    >> Open source means that closed source businesses lose revenue.
    >>
    >> The perfectly mathematically correct way of restating the above
    >> quote is, "open source reduced software purchasing expenses by 60
    >> billion dollars".
    >>
    >> I say, great story!!!

    > LOL Not the first time a Wintard's fsckwitted trolling backfired, of
    > course... 8)

    Oh my, and look at the cross-posting. Poor Moshe, broadcasting he's an
    idiot for so many to see.

  7. Re: Open Source Software Costing Vendors $60 Billion Dollars!

    On 2008-04-17, treadmill-- with the great taste of fish wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >> http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=844462
    >>
    >> Looks like they figured in all the time wasted trying to make "free Linux"
    >> work....

    > P.S. Who on earth ARE the Standish Group? The "Executive Officers" link
    > on their website returns this error:
    > Not Found
    > The requested URL /about/management_team.php was not found on this server.
    > Apache/1.3.41 Ben-SSL/1.57 Server at standishgroup.com Port 80
    >
    > They're a bunch of pillocks, I reckon. No sensible person should trust a
    > word they say.

    If you read the article, which you did not, you would realize that the
    article reflects favorably on strength of free software.

    And, I would say, standishgroup is using FreeBSD.

    telnet standishgroup.com 25
    Trying 204.200.222.118...
    Connected to standishgroup.com.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    220 standishgroup.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.6.20060614/8.13.6; Thu, 17
    Apr 2008 11:29:41 -0400 (EDT)
    ^]
    telnet> Connection closed.

    telnet standishgroup.com 22
    Trying 204.200.222.118...
    Connected to standishgroup.com.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_4.7p1-hpn12v20
    FreeBSD-openssh-portable-overwrite-base-4.7.p1_1,1
    ^]

  8. Re: Open Source Software Costing Vendors $60 Billion Dollars!

    "treadmill-- with the great taste of fish" wrote in message
    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >> http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=844462
    >>
    >> Looks like they figured in all the time wasted trying to make "free
    >> Linux"
    >> work....

    > Do you think, perchance, that that report by the Standish Group might be
    > funded by Microsoft in some way?
    >
    > Have you seen the Standish Group's website? Sheesh! I wouldn't trust an
    > outfit like that can't even get a proper website built to mop the floors,
    > let alone conduct research at a thousand dollars a pop.

    Moshe isn't reading the article.

    http://www.standishgroup.com/newsroom/open_source.php

    So vendors like Microsoft are losing $60 billion in sales because people are
    using things like OpenOffice that works across platforms, Linux, Vista, XP
    whatever.

    Why would a home user pay $450 for the full office when they can get
    OpenOffice for free? It even had 2 features totally lacking in MS-Office
    that I really like. 1) It allows me to export or save as a PDF. 2)
    Supports ODF, Open Document Format.

    $450 buys a lot of beer.

  9. Re: Open Source Software Costing Vendors $60 Billion Dollars!

    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >> http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=844462
    >>
    >> Looks like they figured in all the time wasted trying to make "free
    >> Linux"
    >> work....

    > P.S. Who on earth ARE the Standish Group? The "Executive Officers" link on
    > their website returns this error:
    > Not Found
    > The requested URL /about/management_team.php was not found on this server.
    > Apache/1.3.41 Ben-SSL/1.57 Server at standishgroup.com Port 80
    >
    > They're a bunch of pillocks, I reckon. No sensible person should trust a
    > word they say.

    Why? Because they run open source?

    Most of the web is still, much to Microsoft's disappointment and many
    billions spent and loads of FUD, driven by open source. Many a MS-Windows
    even run Apache.

    So if your credibility is based on if they run IIS or Apache, guess what,
    most of the world has no credibility for you. Which means you are paranoid.
    Better not use google, Linux open source driven.

  10. Re: Open Source Software Costing Vendors $60 Billion Dollars!

    Canuck57 wrote:
    > "treadmill-- with the great taste of fish" wrote in message
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >>> http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=844462
    >>>
    >>> Looks like they figured in all the time wasted trying to make "free
    >>> Linux"
    >>> work....

    >> P.S. Who on earth ARE the Standish Group? The "Executive Officers" link on
    >> their website returns this error:
    >> Not Found
    >> The requested URL /about/management_team.php was not found on this server.
    >> Apache/1.3.41 Ben-SSL/1.57 Server at standishgroup.com Port 80
    >>
    >> They're a bunch of pillocks, I reckon. No sensible person should trust a
    >> word they say.

    > Why? Because they run open source?

    No. I use open source. This was posted from my Ubuntu laptop. If
    potential customers ask us for Windows hosting I tell them to go
    elsewhere because my server runs Linux and Apache only, and that's the
    way it will stay. Linux and Apache are far superior to any Microsoft
    offering.

    I should have read the article fully before posting... Doh!

    > Most of the web is still, much to Microsoft's disappointment and many
    > billions spent and loads of FUD, driven by open source.

    And long may it stay that way.

  11. Re: Open Source Software Costing Vendors $60 Billion Dollars!

    Ignoramus29232 wrote:

    > If you read the article, which you did not, you would realize that the
    > article reflects favorably on strength of free software.

    Doh! You're right. I should have fully read the article. Sorry about that.

  12. Re: Open Source Software Costing Vendors $60 Billion Dollars!

    On 2008-04-17, treadmill-- with the great taste of fish wrote:
    > Ignoramus29232 wrote:
    >>
    >> If you read the article, which you did not, you would realize that the
    >> article reflects favorably on strength of free software.

    > Doh! You're right. I should have fully read the article. Sorry about that.

    Yesterday, I made a very boneheaded post in another newsgroup, that
    was based upon incorrect reading of a news article. Fortunately, no one
    noticed.

  13. Re: Open Source Software Costing Vendors $60 Billion Dollars!

    Canuck57 wrote:
    > "treadmill-- with the great taste of fish" wrote in message
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >>> http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=844462
    >>>
    >>> Looks like they figured in all the time wasted trying to make "free
    >>> Linux"
    >>> work....

    >> Do you think, perchance, that that report by the Standish Group might be
    >> funded by Microsoft in some way?
    >>
    >> Have you seen the Standish Group's website? Sheesh! I wouldn't trust an
    >> outfit like that can't even get a proper website built to mop the floors,
    >> let alone conduct research at a thousand dollars a pop.

    > Moshe isn't reading the article.
    >
    > http://www.standishgroup.com/newsroom/open_source.php
    >
    > So vendors like Microsoft are losing $60 billion in sales because people are
    > using things like OpenOffice that works across platforms, Linux, Vista, XP
    > whatever.
    >
    > Why would a home user pay $450 for the full office when they can get
    > OpenOffice for free? It even had 2 features totally lacking in MS-Office
    > that I really like. 1) It allows me to export or save as a PDF. 2)
    > Supports ODF, Open Document Format.
    >
    > $450 buys a lot of beer.

    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...76003%2C00.asp
    Might just be MS's fault.
    caver1

  14. Re: Open Source Software Costing Vendors $60 Billion Dollars!

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 18:32:43 +0100, treadmill-- with the great taste of
    fish wrote:

    > Ignoramus29232 wrote:
    >>
    >> If you read the article, which you did not, you would realize that the
    >> article reflects favorably on strength of free software.

    > Doh! You're right. I should have fully read the article. Sorry about
    > that.

    Oh boy. Do you think their opinion is valid now that you think they are
    linux friendly?

    before you wrote...Have you seen the Standish Group's website? Sheesh! I
    wouldn't trust an
    outfit like that can't even get a proper website built to mop the floors,
    let alone conduct research at a thousand dollars a pop.

    and you wrote....They're a bunch of pillocks, I reckon. No sensible
    person should trust a word they say.

    stonerfish

  15. Re: Open Source Software Costing Vendors $60 Billion Dollars!

    jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 18:32:43 +0100, treadmill-- with the great taste of
    > fish wrote:
    >
    >> Ignoramus29232 wrote:
    >>> If you read the article, which you did not, you would realize that the
    >>> article reflects favorably on strength of free software.

    >> Doh! You're right. I should have fully read the article. Sorry about
    >> that.

    > Oh boy. Do you think their opinion is valid now that you think they are
    > linux friendly?

    No.

+ Reply to Thread