booting hardy beta - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on booting hardy beta - Ubuntu ; Running Hardy beta (with latest updates). On boot up I am offered the choice of various kernels. 2.6.24-16 or -15 or -12 plus a lot of other stuff. Start-up Manager clearly is set so that -16 is the default OS ...

  1. booting hardy beta

    Running Hardy beta (with latest updates).
    On boot up I am offered the choice of various kernels.
    2.6.24-16 or -15 or -12 plus a lot of other stuff.
    Start-up Manager clearly is set so that -16 is the default OS but unless I
    manually override it the -15 version is always loaded on start up.
    Any ideas guys?

  2. Re: booting hardy beta

    David ("David" ) gurgled happily, sounding much
    like they were saying:

    > Running Hardy beta (with latest updates). On boot up I am offered the
    > choice of various kernels. 2.6.24-16 or -15 or -12 plus a lot of other
    > stuff. Start-up Manager clearly is set so that -16 is the default OS but
    > unless I manually override it the -15 version is always loaded on start
    > up. Any ideas guys?

    Going by how the Hardy updates have been playing on my test box, when the
    update manager ran, it would have completed the installs then asked you
    if you wanted to remove certain redundant packages - including the old
    kernels - did you tell it not to?

  3. Re: booting hardy beta

    David wrote:
    > Running Hardy beta (with latest updates).
    > On boot up I am offered the choice of various kernels.
    > 2.6.24-16 or -15 or -12 plus a lot of other stuff.
    > Start-up Manager clearly is set so that -16 is the default OS but unless I
    > manually override it the -15 version is always loaded on start up.
    > Any ideas guys?

    I don't use Start-up Manager, so do it the old-school way. Fire up
    Terminal and change it in /boot/grub/menu.lst

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...hangeDefaultOS

    --Benjamin Franklin

  4. Re: booting hardy beta

    Adrian wrote:
    > Going by how the Hardy updates have been playing on my test box, when the
    > update manager ran, it would have completed the installs then asked you
    > if you wanted to remove certain redundant packages - including the old
    > kernels - did you tell it not to?

    What, really? Update Manager does that? You sure. I can't see it doing
    that. If your new kernel doesn't work properly, then what?

    --Benjamin Franklin

  5. Re: booting hardy beta

    "Adrian" wrote in message
    > David ("David" ) gurgled happily, sounding much
    > like they were saying:
    >
    >> Running Hardy beta (with latest updates). On boot up I am offered the
    >> choice of various kernels. 2.6.24-16 or -15 or -12 plus a lot of other
    >> stuff. Start-up Manager clearly is set so that -16 is the default OS but
    >> unless I manually override it the -15 version is always loaded on start
    >> up. Any ideas guys?

    > Going by how the Hardy updates have been playing on my test box, when the
    > update manager ran, it would have completed the installs then asked you
    > if you wanted to remove certain redundant packages - including the old
    > kernels - did you tell it not to?

    No...I didn't see any dialog and didn't tell it to boot to any specific
    kernel.

  6. Re: booting hardy beta

    "johnny bobby bee" wrote in message
    > David wrote:
    >> Running Hardy beta (with latest updates).
    >> On boot up I am offered the choice of various kernels.
    >> 2.6.24-16 or -15 or -12 plus a lot of other stuff.
    >> Start-up Manager clearly is set so that -16 is the default OS but unless
    >> I manually override it the -15 version is always loaded on start up.
    >> Any ideas guys?

    > I don't use Start-up Manager, so do it the old-school way. Fire up
    > Terminal and change it in /boot/grub/menu.lst
    >
    > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...hangeDefaultOS

    Hi,
    Thanks jbb. This was the input I was looking for.
    As often happens this "problem" has been with me for several days but just
    as I tried to change the script in /boot/grub/menu.lst I found that the
    problem had gone away. It boots into -16 now as default.
    This happened after I installed the latest updates. That's beta for you!
    Cheers
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread