  2. Re: Skype: Need to un-install

    From: none <""alonzo\"@(none)">

    Your handle and email are b0rken.

    In Tbird, go to Account Settings/ Default Identity and complete Your
    Name and Email Address in a compliant manner. If you want your name to
    be none, fine. If you want your email address to be bogus, then
    construct a bogus address in a compliant manner such as
    alonzo@none.invalid -- an email address, even a bogus one, needs to be
    compliantly constructed with a user@domain.tld and a bogus address needs
    to have the domain.tld not only not belong to someone else, but to also
    be an invalid domain.tld of some kind. Personally I think an invalid
    tld should be the string .invalid.

    none wrote:

    > Something went wrong installing Skype, and needs to be
    > un-installed but doesn't show up in "Add/Remove programs".

    Skype is not in the repositories of Ub 7.10 or 8.04b -- so if you
    installed it, you might've acquired the deb from the skype site, see
    below.

    > Installed "Adept Manager"

    Ubuntu comes with synaptic which if you installed with a deb it should
    show up in synaptic.

    System/ Administration/ Synaptic package manager - search for skype

    If you installed it some other way than the deb which is here
    http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/choose/ Skype for Linux -
    Ubuntu 7.04+ - skype-debian_2.0.0.68-1_i386(2).deb

    .... then you need to think about how you installed it.

    > but it says I can't un-install
    > anything because I need Administrator privileges, which
    > I thought I had. It recommends using Kdesu or Sudo, but
    > from what I've seen looking on the Internet these might
    > be to complicated.
    >
    > How can I go about fixing this mess?

    If you installed the .deb which would be the most rational way to
    install it, and if you are running ubuntu which one might assume that
    you are, then your package manager is synaptic. If you installed the
    deb, then if you search on skype in synaptic, then it should show up and
    handle the uninstall package management.

    --
    Mike Easter

  3. Re: Skype: Need to un-install

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 19:23:41 -0700, "Mike Easter"
    wrote:

    >From: none <""alonzo\"@(none)">
    >
    >Your handle and email are b0rken.

    >In Tbird, go to Account Settings/ Default Identity and complete Your
    >Name and Email Address in a compliant manner. If you want your name to
    >be none, fine. If you want your email address to be bogus, then
    >construct a bogus address in a compliant manner such as
    >alonzo@none.invalid -- an email address, even a bogus one, needs to be
    >compliantly constructed with a user@domain.tld and a bogus address needs
    >to have the domain.tld not only not belong to someone else, but to also
    >be an invalid domain.tld of some kind. Personally I think an invalid
    >tld should be the string .invalid.
    >
    >none wrote:
    >
    >> Something went wrong installing Skype, and needs to be
    >> un-installed but doesn't show up in "Add/Remove programs".

    >Skype is not in the repositories of Ub 7.10 or 8.04b -- so if you
    >installed it, you might've acquired the deb from the skype site, see
    >below.
    >
    >> Installed "Adept Manager"

    >Ubuntu comes with synaptic which if you installed with a deb it should
    >show up in synaptic.
    >
    >System/ Administration/ Synaptic package manager - search for skype
    >
    >If you installed it some other way than the deb which is here
    >http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/choose/ Skype for Linux -
    >Ubuntu 7.04+ - skype-debian_2.0.0.68-1_i386(2).deb
    >
    >... then you need to think about how you installed it.
    >
    >> but it says I can't un-install
    >> anything because I need Administrator privileges, which
    >> I thought I had. It recommends using Kdesu or Sudo, but
    >> from what I've seen looking on the Internet these might
    >> be to complicated.

    When asked for your password by synaptic (or sudo) enter the password
    that you use to log on with; you then have Administrator privileges,
    if you are, in fact, a member of the Admin group - which you will be
    if you are the person who installed Ubuntu.

    >> How can I go about fixing this mess?

    >If you installed the .deb which would be the most rational way to
    >install it, and if you are running ubuntu which one might assume that
    >you are, then your package manager is synaptic. If you installed the
    >deb, then if you search on skype in synaptic, then it should show up and
    >handle the uninstall package management.

    Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226

  4. Re: Skype: Need to un-install

    Roy Strachan wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 19:23:41 -0700, "Mike Easter"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> From: none <""alonzo\"@(none)">
    >>
    >> Your handle and email are b0rken.

    >> In Tbird, go to Account Settings/ Default Identity and complete Your
    >> Name and Email Address in a compliant manner. If you want your name to
    >> be none, fine. If you want your email address to be bogus, then
    >> construct a bogus address in a compliant manner such as
    >> alonzo@none.invalid -- an email address, even a bogus one, needs to be
    >> compliantly constructed with a user@domain.tld and a bogus address needs
    >> to have the domain.tld not only not belong to someone else, but to also
    >> be an invalid domain.tld of some kind. Personally I think an invalid
    >> tld should be the string .invalid.
    >>
    >> none wrote:
    >>
    >>> Something went wrong installing Skype, and needs to be
    >>> un-installed but doesn't show up in "Add/Remove programs".

    >> Skype is not in the repositories of Ub 7.10 or 8.04b -- so if you
    >> installed it, you might've acquired the deb from the skype site, see
    >> below.
    >>
    >>> Installed "Adept Manager"

    >> Ubuntu comes with synaptic which if you installed with a deb it should
    >> show up in synaptic.
    >>
    >> System/ Administration/ Synaptic package manager - search for skype
    >>
    >> If you installed it some other way than the deb which is here
    >> http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/choose/ Skype for Linux -
    >> Ubuntu 7.04+ - skype-debian_2.0.0.68-1_i386(2).deb

    Using Ubuntu 8.1.. I did the installation, and am the only
    user.

    I did install Skype from a deb.

    In terminal I type "sudo apt-get install", it asks for
    password, I enter password, It says, Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 504 not upgraded.

    When I type synaptic, it tells me, I won't be able to change
    anything because I don't have administrator privileges.
    Skype is in there.

    Another thing, yesterday I found a way to change screen
    resolution to 800 X 600, I'd like it to be 1024 X 768,
    but today it's back to 640 X 480. Using Nvidia GE 4000.
    I can't remember how to get it back to at least 800 X 600.

    Any help is appreciated
    Thanks
    Alonzo

    >> ... then you need to think about how you installed it.
    >>
    >>> but it says I can't un-install
    >>> anything because I need Administrator privileges, which
    >>> I thought I had. It recommends using Kdesu or Sudo, but
    >>> from what I've seen looking on the Internet these might
    >>> be to complicated.

    > When asked for your password by synaptic (or sudo) enter the password
    > that you use to log on with; you then have Administrator privileges,
    > if you are, in fact, a member of the Admin group - which you will be
    > if you are the person who installed Ubuntu.
    >
    >>> How can I go about fixing this mess?

    >> If you installed the .deb which would be the most rational way to
    >> install it, and if you are running ubuntu which one might assume that
    >> you are, then your package manager is synaptic. If you installed the
    >> deb, then if you search on skype in synaptic, then it should show up and
    >> handle the uninstall package management.

    > Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226

  5. Re: Skype: Need to un-install

    Alonzo wrote:
    > Roy Strachan wrote:
    >> On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 19:23:41 -0700, "Mike Easter"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> From: none <""alonzo\"@(none)">
    >>>
    >>> Your handle and email are b0rken.

    >>> In Tbird, go to Account Settings/ Default Identity and complete Your
    >>> Name and Email Address in a compliant manner. If you want your name to
    >>> be none, fine. If you want your email address to be bogus, then
    >>> construct a bogus address in a compliant manner such as
    >>> alonzo@none.invalid -- an email address, even a bogus one, needs to be
    >>> compliantly constructed with a user@domain.tld and a bogus address needs
    >>> to have the domain.tld not only not belong to someone else, but to also
    >>> be an invalid domain.tld of some kind. Personally I think an invalid
    >>> tld should be the string .invalid.

    >>> Skype is not in the repositories of Ub 7.10 or 8.04b -- so if you
    >>> installed it, you might've acquired the deb from the skype site, see
    >>> below.

    >>> Ubuntu comes with synaptic which if you installed with a deb it should
    >>> show up in synaptic.
    >>>
    >>> System/ Administration/ Synaptic package manager - search for skype
    >>>
    >>> If you installed it some other way than the deb which is here
    >>> http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/choose/ Skype for Linux -
    >>> Ubuntu 7.04+ - skype-debian_2.0.0.68-1_i386(2).deb
    >>>

    > Using Ubuntu 8.1.. I did the installation, and am the only
    > user.
    >
    > I did install Skype from a deb.
    >

    > In terminal I type "sudo apt-get install", it asks for
    > password, I enter password, It says, Building dependency tree
    > Reading state information... Done
    > 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 504 not upgraded.
    >
    > When I type synaptic, it tells me, I won't be able to change
    > anything because I don't have administrator privileges.
    > Skype is in there.
    >
    > Another thing, yesterday I found a way to change screen
    > resolution to 800 X 600, I'd like it to be 1024 X 768,
    > but today it's back to 640 X 480. Using Nvidia GE 4000.
    > I can't remember how to get it back to at least 800 X 600.
    >
    > Any help is appreciated
    > Thanks
    > Alonzo
    >

    >>> ... then you need to think about how you installed it.

    >> When asked for your password by synaptic (or sudo) enter the password
    >> that you use to log on with; you then have Administrator privileges,
    >> if you are, in fact, a member of the Admin group - which you will be
    >> if you are the person who installed Ubuntu.

    >>> If you installed the .deb which would be the most rational way to
    >>> install it, and if you are running ubuntu which one might assume that
    >>> you are, then your package manager is synaptic. If you installed the
    >>> deb, then if you search on skype in synaptic, then it should show up and
    >>> handle the uninstall package management.

    >> Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226

    Xubuntu is doing better for me. I'll probably deleate Ubuntu
    from the other hard drive.

    Thanks anyway
    Alonzo

+ Reply to Thread