Re: [News] GNU/Linux for Web Surfers a Success - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: [News] GNU/Linux for Web Surfers a Success - Ubuntu ; On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 00:03:50 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote: > I agree entirely. That indeed comes to show that Linux is not a problem at all. Tell that to 65+ pages of people having freezing and lockup problems with ...

  1. Re: [News] GNU/Linux for Web Surfers a Success

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 00:03:50 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > I agree entirely. That indeed comes to show that Linux is not a problem at all.

    Tell that to 65+ pages of people having freezing and lockup problems with
    Ubuntu.

    Linux IS a problem.
    It is a MAJOR problem.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: [News] GNU/Linux for Web Surfers a Success

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb

    wrote
    on Wed, 16 Apr 2008 20:51:56 -0400
    <5whwzzqqo7mg.16ca9p5npjdg1.dlg@40tude.net>:
    > On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 00:03:50 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> I agree entirely. That indeed comes to show that Linux is not a problem at all.

    > Tell that to 65+ pages of people having freezing and lockup problems with
    > Ubuntu.
    >
    > Linux IS a problem.
    > It is a MAJOR problem.

    Your recommendations, then?

    If 65+ pages indicate freezups and lockups, would the
    solution be to simply have everyone upgrade their hardware
    and use Windows Vista Ultimate instead?

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/signature: Not a text file

  3. Re: [News] GNU/Linux for Web Surfers a Success

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 16:37:03 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb
    >
    > wrote
    > on Wed, 16 Apr 2008 20:51:56 -0400
    > <5whwzzqqo7mg.16ca9p5npjdg1.dlg@40tude.net>:
    >> On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 00:03:50 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>

    >>> I agree entirely. That indeed comes to show that Linux is not a problem at all.

    >> Tell that to 65+ pages of people having freezing and lockup problems with
    >> Ubuntu.
    >>
    >> Linux IS a problem.
    >> It is a MAJOR problem.
    >>

    > Your recommendations, then?

    Use PCLinuxOS or Slackware or real Debian.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  4. Re: [News] GNU/Linux for Web Surfers a Success

    ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Friday 18 April 2008 00:37 : \____

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb
    >
    > wrote
    > on Wed, 16 Apr 2008 20:51:56 -0400
    > <5whwzzqqo7mg.16ca9p5npjdg1.dlg@40tude.net>:
    >> On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 00:03:50 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>

    >>> I agree entirely. That indeed comes to show that Linux is not a problem at
    >>> all.

    >> Tell that to 65+ pages of people having freezing and lockup problems with
    >> Ubuntu.
    >>
    >> Linux IS a problem.
    >> It is a MAJOR problem.
    >>

    > Your recommendations, then?
    >
    > If 65+ pages indicate freezups and lockups, would the
    > solution be to simply have everyone upgrade their hardware
    > and use Windows Vista Ultimate instead?

    Re: Configurating updates: stage 3 of 3 stuck in endless reboot loop *

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | My install of the SP1 RC Refesh has gone wrong.
    | *
    | Everytime I start the computer it says:
    |
    | Configurating updates: stage 3 of 3 - 0% complete
    |
    | And then reboots, and reboots, and reboots ... I had it rebooting for over an
    | hour before I stopped the madness.
    | All the safe modes does the same, so how do I uninstall the installer,
    | without being able to log in?
    `----

    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...8906&siteid=17

    Made Slashdot. Affected a huge number of people at the time. Not an isolated
    incident, either. It happens every month and each time something else breaks,
    which is why people steer clear and away from Vista. Vista's codebase is not
    maintainable and XP's userbase justifies more rigorous patch testing from
    Microsoft. It's a catch 22 and there is hardly a solution to this.

    At the moment you will find Microsoft using its various sockpuppets ('analysts'
    whom it typically hires, e.g. Gartnerberg, Silver and more recently Forrester)
    warning people not to leave Microsoft Windows altogether. It's a desperate set
    of moves which Microsoft hopes nobody will see as an act of manipulation.

    “Analysts sell out - that’s their business model… But they are very concerned
    that they never look like they are selling out, so that makes them very
    prickly to work with.”

    * * * * * * * * Microsoft, internal document
    * * * * * * * * http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf

    Long story short -- Microsoft relies on manufacturing Windows consent at the
    moment. That said, last night Ballmer said that Vista is "work in progress".
    Big ouch!

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz
    Cpu(s): 24.7%us, 3.7%sy, 1.0%ni, 66.5%id, 3.8%wa, 0.3%hi, 0.1%si, 0.0%st

  5. Re: [News] GNU/Linux for Web Surfers a Success

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb

    wrote
    on Thu, 17 Apr 2008 21:11:39 -0400
    <1mzhr6x5lg9ba.cpee380g9pjr.dlg@40tude.net>:
    > On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 16:37:03 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Wed, 16 Apr 2008 20:51:56 -0400
    >> <5whwzzqqo7mg.16ca9p5npjdg1.dlg@40tude.net>:

    >>> Tell that to 65+ pages of people having freezing and lockup problems with
    >>> Ubuntu.
    >>>
    >>> Linux IS a problem.
    >>> It is a MAJOR problem.
    >>>

    >> Your recommendations, then?

    > Use PCLinuxOS or Slackware or real Debian.

    Oh. I thought you were going to suggest
    Windows Vista Ultimate Edition.

    You sure you want to play "distro roulette"? Some of
    the other trolls might chew your posts up into atom-sized
    pieces because of this....

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    If your CPU can't stand the heat, get another fan.