Re: IBM Launches Pilot Program for Migrating to Macs - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: IBM Launches Pilot Program for Migrating to Macs - Ubuntu ; On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 08:32:01 -0700 (PDT), nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote: > > ...IBM is actively working to move away from its dependence upon > Microsoft Windows and toward a heterogeneous cross-platform future. If this is true, and I don't know ...

  1. Re: IBM Launches Pilot Program for Migrating to Macs

    wrote:

    > ...IBM is actively working to move away from its dependence upon
    > Microsoft Windows and toward a heterogeneous cross-platform future.

    If this is true, and I don't know for sure but I can certainly find out,

    IBM is being very smart.

    The Mac is a great machine and in my experience once you use a Mac it's
    difficult to go back.

    My question is however, what happened to IBM's commitment toward moving
    it's employees toward Linux?
    This was announced about 3 years ago by high level people in IBM.

    AFAIK IBM does offer a Linux load for their mobile emploeyee platforms, but
    that there is little interest in it.

    Maybe Rex can confirm all of this?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: IBM Launches Pilot Program for Migrating to Macs

    In order to be flexible they have to be able to move any platform depending
    what the customer needs are. That is just good business and doesn't degrade
    any platform. Take the blinders off and learn to see the big picture.

    "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    > On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 08:32:01 -0700 (PDT), nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu
    > wrote:
    >

    >> ...IBM is actively working to move away from its dependence upon
    >> Microsoft Windows and toward a heterogeneous cross-platform future.

    > If this is true, and I don't know for sure but I can certainly find out,
    >
    > IBM is being very smart.
    >
    > The Mac is a great machine and in my experience once you use a Mac it's
    > difficult to go back.
    >

    > My question is however, what happened to IBM's commitment toward moving
    > it's employees toward Linux?
    > This was announced about 3 years ago by high level people in IBM.
    >
    > AFAIK IBM does offer a Linux load for their mobile emploeyee platforms,
    > but
    > that there is little interest in it.
    >
    > Maybe Rex can confirm all of this?
    >

    > --
    > Moshe Goldfarb
    > http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  3. Re: IBM Launches Pilot Program for Migrating to Macs

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 22:52:50 GMT, Woody wrote:

    > In order to be flexible they have to be able to move any platform depending
    > what the customer needs are. That is just good business and doesn't degrade
    > any platform. Take the blinders off and learn to see the big picture.

    The big picture is Linux hasn't made it to the IBM corporate platform even
    after a promise years ago.
    They are obviously bypassing Linux in favor of the Mac.

    Smart choice IMHO.

    > "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 08:32:01 -0700 (PDT), nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> ...IBM is actively working to move away from its dependence upon
    >>> Microsoft Windows and toward a heterogeneous cross-platform future.

    >> If this is true, and I don't know for sure but I can certainly find out,
    >>
    >> IBM is being very smart.
    >>
    >> The Mac is a great machine and in my experience once you use a Mac it's
    >> difficult to go back.
    >>

    >> My question is however, what happened to IBM's commitment toward moving
    >> it's employees toward Linux?
    >> This was announced about 3 years ago by high level people in IBM.
    >>
    >> AFAIK IBM does offer a Linux load for their mobile emploeyee platforms,
    >> but
    >> that there is little interest in it.
    >>
    >> Maybe Rex can confirm all of this?
    >>

    >> --
    >> Moshe Goldfarb
    >> Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    >> Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    >> http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  4. Re: IBM Launches Pilot Program for Migrating to Macs

    Problem is your blinders only see the Linux picture you want to see. IBM is
    a broad corp. and there are parts working on all platforms.

    "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    news:z9p0tzw53jix$.18knx9dpc7pvw$.dlg@40tude.net.. .
    > On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 22:52:50 GMT, Woody wrote:
    >
    >> In order to be flexible they have to be able to move any platform
    >> depending
    >> what the customer needs are. That is just good business and doesn't
    >> degrade
    >> any platform. Take the blinders off and learn to see the big picture.

    > The big picture is Linux hasn't made it to the IBM corporate platform even
    > after a promise years ago.
    > They are obviously bypassing Linux in favor of the Mac.
    >
    > Smart choice IMHO.
    >

    >> "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message

    >>> If this is true, and I don't know for sure but I can certainly find out,
    >>>
    >>> IBM is being very smart.
    >>>
    >>> The Mac is a great machine and in my experience once you use a Mac it's
    >>> difficult to go back.
    >>>

    >>> My question is however, what happened to IBM's commitment toward moving
    >>> it's employees toward Linux?
    >>> This was announced about 3 years ago by high level people in IBM.
    >>>
    >>> AFAIK IBM does offer a Linux load for their mobile emploeyee platforms,
    >>> but
    >>> that there is little interest in it.
    >>>
    >>> Maybe Rex can confirm all of this?
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Moshe Goldfarb
    >>> Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    >>> Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    >>> http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

    > --
    > Moshe Goldfarb