Re: Linux crapware: breakin' hearts of the faithful - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: Linux crapware: breakin' hearts of the faithful - Ubuntu ; On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 00:41:42 -0400, DFS wrote: > He's pissed! > > "This really stinks... I had thought I had the issue resolved by disabling > powerstepping in my bios, adding noapic, nolapic, irqpoll, ht = on > ...

  1. Re: Linux crapware: breakin' hearts of the faithful

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 00:41:42 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > He's pissed!
    >
    > "This really stinks... I had thought I had the issue resolved by disabling
    > powerstepping in my bios, adding noapic, nolapic, irqpoll, ht = on
    > cheatcodes to my menu.lst, and even screwing with powernowd. Well I have had
    > my computer freeze 3 times in less than two hours, each time with the exact
    > same schutt I've been seeing for the past few months. I have always been a
    > loyal Ubuntu user and have successfully converted my grandma, mother, 2 of
    > my brothers, my girlfriend, and 4 of my best friends to using Ubuntu almost
    > exclusively. Now I (the Ubuntu guru amongst my friends) am unable to
    > continue using it. This kind of problem just being accepted as a 'low
    > importance' bug that has reduced the average uptime of my computer to less
    > than an hour and a half is truly pathetic. Its not limited to Ubuntu as the
    > other Distro's I have tried exhibit the same behavior. I am (instead of
    > continuing to lose work constantly, and pull my f'ing hair out all the time)
    > just go back to using windows. I really didn't mind the spyware and the
    > crashing, and the slowness, so long as my computer was useable. When it's
    > possible just to type papers, send emails, and browse the web without my
    > computer hard crashing every hour and a half, I might come back. I have
    > (until recently) had a great linux/ubuntu experience, but if Linux can't run
    > stably on a dual core computer (which have been common for over a year now)
    > it might just be advancing too slowly, and with too little regard for
    > stability. So long everyone, I'll more than likely check back in a few years
    > when Linux is capable of running on my hardware."
    >
    > #569 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=412125&page=57

    And the sad part is that this huy can never get back the time he wasted
    futzing with Linux.

    That's the problem with Linux.
    It consumes time like Rosie O'Donnell consumes doughnuts.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: Linux crapware: breakin' hearts of the faithful

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 23:14:09 GMT, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > Stick them in the bit bucket and move on. Don't feed the trolls.

    Do all of us a favor, put comp.os.linux.advocacy in your News Xpress kill file,
    or no not modify Xref header so the advocacy post will not show up for us that
    have kill filed the news group.

  3. Re: Linux crapware: breakin' hearts of the faithful

    In article , Bit Twister wrote:
    >On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 23:14:09 GMT, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >
    >> Stick them in the bit bucket and move on. Don't feed the trolls.

    >Do all of us a favor, put comp.os.linux.advocacy in your News Xpress kill file,
    >or no not modify Xref header so the advocacy post will not show up for us that
    >have kill filed the news group.

    Excellent suggestion ... my bad, and thanks

  4. Re: Linux crapware: breakin' hearts of the faithful

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 04:32:08 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > In article , Bit Twister wrote:
    >>On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 23:14:09 GMT, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >>
    >>> Stick them in the bit bucket and move on. Don't feed the trolls.

    >>Do all of us a favor, put comp.os.linux.advocacy in your News Xpress kill file,
    >>or no not modify Xref header so the advocacy post will not show up for us that
    >>have kill filed the news group.

    > Excellent suggestion ... my bad, and thanks

    From my scorefile, should work in BT's slrn as well, don't know about
    your News Xpress.

    --- begin cut here ---
    %BOS[*]
    Score:: = -9999
    %EOS
    --- end cut here ---

    --
    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

  5. Re: Linux crapware: breakin' hearts of the faithful

    "Bruce Sinclair" wrote
    in message news:fu6nco$bg6$1@aioe.org...
    > In article , Bit Twister
    > wrote:
    >>On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 23:14:09 GMT, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >>
    >>> Stick them in the bit bucket and move on. Don't feed the trolls.

    >>Do all of us a favor, put comp.os.linux.advocacy in your News Xpress kill
    >>file,
    >>or no not modify Xref header so the advocacy post will not show up for us
    >>that
    >>have kill filed the news group.

    > Excellent suggestion ... my bad, and thanks

    No, your stupid

  6. Re: Linux crapware: breakin' hearts of the faithful

    wdyssmd wrote:

    >Why?

    *plonk*

  7. Re: Linux crapware: breakin' hearts of the faithful

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 12:40:48 +0000, wdyssmd wrote:

    > "Bruce Sinclair" wrote
    > in message news:fu6nco$bg6$1@aioe.org...
    >> In article , Bit Twister
    >> wrote:

    >>>Do all of us a favor, put comp.os.linux.advocacy in your News Xpress kill
    >>>file,
    >>>or no not modify Xref header so the advocacy post will not show up for us
    >>>that
    >>>have kill filed the news group.

    >> Excellent suggestion ... my bad, and thanks

    > No, your stupid

    Didn't you mean "No, you're stupid", Stupid?

    heh

    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    COOSN-266-06-25794

  8. Re: Linux crapware: breakin' hearts of the faithful

    "chrisv" wrote in message
    > wdyssmd wrote:
    >
    >>Why?

    > *plonk*