Dell Inspiron - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Dell Inspiron - Ubuntu ; Am looking to buy a new box and this caught my eye 399 without monitor...Anyone tell me if the 128m nvidia gf 8300gs card is good enough to run compiz in all it's glory? Also could I get a better ...

  1. Dell Inspiron

    Am looking to buy a new box and this caught my eye 399 without
    monitor...Anyone tell me if the 128m nvidia gf 8300gs card is good
    enough to run compiz in all it's glory? Also could I get a better
    buy having it built up by a uk dealer ?
    --
    Regards
    Ted Wager

  2. Re: Dell Inspiron

    Ted (Ted ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
    they were saying:

    > Am looking to buy a new box and this caught my eye £399 without
    > monitor...Anyone tell me if the 128m nvidia gf 8300gs card is good
    > enough to run compiz in all it's glory?

    Should be plenty. I've got Compiz running here very smoothly, under both
    Gutsy & Hardy, on a 3+yo Latitude with 128Mb NVidia graphics (and
    1920x1200 screen)

  3. Re: Dell Inspiron

    Adrian wrote:
    > Ted (Ted ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
    > they were saying:
    >
    >> Am looking to buy a new box and this caught my eye £399 without
    >> monitor...Anyone tell me if the 128m nvidia gf 8300gs card is good
    >> enough to run compiz in all it's glory?

    > Should be plenty. I've got Compiz running here very smoothly, under both
    > Gutsy & Hardy, on a 3+yo Latitude with 128Mb NVidia graphics (and
    > 1920x1200 screen)

    Thanks for the reply...
    I have compiz running at the moment on a geforce fx5500 with 128m..I
    was wondering if a card with more memory woulf be better but Dell give
    no choice on the card..

    --
    Regards
    Ted Wager

  4. Re: Dell Inspiron

    In <%IsNj.199508$cQ1.171679@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net> John F. Morse:

    [Snip...]

    > Dell/HP/Compaq/Sony/Whatever icon on a PC

    I don't mind so much paying for "new" (if it's clearly Linux compatible)
    but I'll *NEVER* pay a phrickin' M$ tax on any OEM gear again.

    Clearly, that eliminates 99.99% of the "new" OEM market for me.

    All my systems are "Icons" bought at steep discount in a 2nds store. The
    exception is a laptop mailorder, new from a Linux speciality shop. Their
    sale did not include any M$ software/media--like I care for that toyware
    anyway.

    BTW, I'd appreciate any links or other info about DIY packages for Linux
    desktop/SOHO systems (DFW area, US) others have found useful--TIA.

  5. Re: Dell Inspiron

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > Ted wrote:
    >> Adrian wrote:
    >>> Ted (Ted ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
    >>> they were saying:

    >>> Should be plenty. I've got Compiz running here very smoothly, under
    >>> both Gutsy & Hardy, on a 3+yo Latitude with 128Mb NVidia graphics
    >>> (and 1920x1200 screen)

    >> Thanks for the reply...
    >> I have compiz running at the moment on a geforce fx5500 with 128m..I
    >> was wondering if a card with more memory woulf be better but Dell give
    >> no choice on the card..

    > Do you not have "ma and pa" computer stores, or something like
    > MicroCenter, where you can buy a case, power supply, motherboard, CPU,
    > heatsink, fan, drives, etc., and build your own PC?

    Thanks for the reply...
    I have always built my own boxes but with advancing age I suffer from
    the shakes and eyesight's not much good either...
    --
    Regards
    Ted Wager g3tpi

  6. Re: Dell Inspiron

    twager wrote:
    > John F. Morse wrote:
    >> Do you not have "ma and pa" computer stores, or something like
    >> MicroCenter, where you can buy a case, power supply, motherboard,
    >> CPU, heatsink, fan, drives, etc., and build your own PC?
    >>

    > Thanks for the reply...
    > I have always built my own boxes but with advancing age I suffer
    > from the shakes and eyesight's not much good either...

    Ted, all you need to do is go out front of your home and grab a
    teenager. All they want for pay is a couple of Cokes. ;-)

    --
    John