Hardy Heron problem. - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Hardy Heron problem. - Ubuntu ; I was using Gutsy until automatic update installed 8.04 and things got weird. I have PATA devises and 2 SATA. 7.10 saw them all and was nice about it. 8.04 beta now tells me I have all SATA drives. Anybody ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Hardy Heron problem.

  1. Hardy Heron problem.

    I was using Gutsy until automatic update installed 8.04 and things got
    weird. I have PATA devises and 2 SATA. 7.10 saw them all and was nice
    about it. 8.04 beta now tells me I have all SATA drives.
    Anybody else have this problem on multi-drive 'puters?
    Bill Baka

  2. Re: Hardy Heron problem.

    Bill Baka wrote:
    > I was using Gutsy until automatic update installed 8.04 and things got
    > weird. I have PATA devises and 2 SATA. 7.10 saw them all and was nice
    > about it. 8.04 beta now tells me I have all SATA drives.
    > Anybody else have this problem on multi-drive 'puters?


    What problem?

    --
    As we enjoy great advantages from inventions of others, we should be
    glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours;
    and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

  3. Re: Hardy Heron problem.

    On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 22:00:43 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:

    > I was using Gutsy until automatic update installed 8.04 and things got


    I wasn't aware automatic update would install a beta, it doesn't on my
    Gutsy laptop and my Feisty desktop still says "New release 7.10 available"
    on it.

    --
    It's bad luck to be superstitious.



  4. Re: Hardy Heron problem.

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:45:01 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:

    > On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 22:00:43 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:
    >
    >> I was using Gutsy until automatic update installed 8.04 and things got

    >
    > I wasn't aware automatic update would install a beta, it doesn't on my
    > Gutsy laptop and my Feisty desktop still says "New release 7.10
    > available" on it.


    sudo update-manager -c -d


    --
    Stephan
    1986 Pontiac Fiero GT

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  5. Re: Hardy Heron problem.

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 07:52:19 -0500, Stephan Rose
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:45:01 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 22:00:43 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:
    >>
    >>> I was using Gutsy until automatic update installed 8.04 and things got

    >>
    >> I wasn't aware automatic update would install a beta, it doesn't on my
    >> Gutsy laptop and my Feisty desktop still says "New release 7.10
    >> available" on it.

    >
    >sudo update-manager -c -d


    That's not AUTOMATIC. You need to manually type it in and specify the
    -D parameter to get it. "Automatic" implies a single-click on the
    "install" button on the GUI.
    --
    Jay (remove dashes for legal email address)

  6. Re: Hardy Heron problem.

    johnny bobby bee wrote:
    > Bill Baka wrote:
    >> I was using Gutsy until automatic update installed 8.04 and things got
    >> weird. I have PATA devises and 2 SATA. 7.10 saw them all and was nice
    >> about it. 8.04 beta now tells me I have all SATA drives.
    >> Anybody else have this problem on multi-drive 'puters?

    >
    > What problem?
    >

    An IDE drive is NOT a SATA. Get it?

  7. Re: Hardy Heron problem.

    Trevor Best wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 22:00:43 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:
    >
    >> I was using Gutsy until automatic update installed 8.04 and things got

    >
    > I wasn't aware automatic update would install a beta, it doesn't on my
    > Gutsy laptop and my Feisty desktop still says "New release 7.10 available"
    > on it.
    >

    I'm not sure how it did it, but I was away from the computer for a
    while, waiting for the update manager to apply something like 47
    patches, and when I came back I had a 'bird' for my background.
    I don't leave the computer on 24/7 but watching upgrades install is like
    watching paint dry, so I left and Heron somehow managed to install itself.
    No big deal to me since I didn't have anything really important on it
    but now I am on Windows until the official release.
    Meanwhile I have Suse, Linspire, Mandrake/Mandriva(?) and a few other
    things to play with.
    Cheers.
    Bill Baka

  8. Re: Hardy Heron problem.

    Jay Somerset wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 07:52:19 -0500, Stephan Rose
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:45:01 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 22:00:43 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> I was using Gutsy until automatic update installed 8.04 and things got
    >>> I wasn't aware automatic update would install a beta, it doesn't on my
    >>> Gutsy laptop and my Feisty desktop still says "New release 7.10
    >>> available" on it.

    >> sudo update-manager -c -d

    >
    > That's not AUTOMATIC. You need to manually type it in and specify the
    > -D parameter to get it. "Automatic" implies a single-click on the
    > "install" button on the GUI.


    Trust me, I did NOT do a sudo, it just happened and I don't know why.
    I have noticed that updates have been about 20 per day for the last week
    or so.
    Maybe I should play with Debian for a few weeks.
    Bill Baka

  9. Re: Hardy Heron problem.

    Bill Baka wrote:
    > An IDE drive is NOT a SATA. Get it?


    Yes, indeed. And yet again, what's the problem?

    --
    As we enjoy great advantages from inventions of others, we should be
    glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours;
    and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

  10. Re: Hardy Heron problem.

    On 2008-04-16, Bill Baka wrote:
    > johnny bobby bee wrote:
    >> Bill Baka wrote:
    >>> I was using Gutsy until automatic update installed 8.04 and things got
    >>> weird. I have PATA devises and 2 SATA. 7.10 saw them all and was nice
    >>> about it. 8.04 beta now tells me I have all SATA drives.
    >>> Anybody else have this problem on multi-drive 'puters?

    >>
    >> What problem?
    >>

    > An IDE drive is NOT a SATA. Get it?


    You can do

    smartctl -a /dev/sdX

    to see what your drives are (IDE vs. SATA).

    i

  11. Re: Hardy Heron problem.

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 15:17:33 -0500, Ignoramus12441
    wrote:

    >On 2008-04-16, Bill Baka wrote:
    >> johnny bobby bee wrote:
    >>> Bill Baka wrote:
    >>>> I was using Gutsy until automatic update installed 8.04 and things got
    >>>> weird. I have PATA devises and 2 SATA. 7.10 saw them all and was nice
    >>>> about it. 8.04 beta now tells me I have all SATA drives.
    >>>> Anybody else have this problem on multi-drive 'puters?
    >>>
    >>> What problem?
    >>>

    >> An IDE drive is NOT a SATA. Get it?

    >
    >You can do
    >
    > smartctl -a /dev/sdX
    >
    >to see what your drives are (IDE vs. SATA).
    >
    >i


    Which yields -

    Smartctl open device: /dev/sdX failed: No such file or directory

    and yes I have IDE and SATA drives. Should this work in Gutsy?


    Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226

  12. Re: Hardy Heron problem.

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 04:30:56 GMT, Roy Strachan wrote:

    >On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 15:17:33 -0500, Ignoramus12441
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On 2008-04-16, Bill Baka wrote:
    >>> johnny bobby bee wrote:
    >>>> Bill Baka wrote:
    >>>>> I was using Gutsy until automatic update installed 8.04 and things got
    >>>>> weird. I have PATA devises and 2 SATA. 7.10 saw them all and was nice
    >>>>> about it. 8.04 beta now tells me I have all SATA drives.
    >>>>> Anybody else have this problem on multi-drive 'puters?
    >>>>
    >>>> What problem?
    >>>>
    >>> An IDE drive is NOT a SATA. Get it?

    >>
    >>You can do
    >>
    >> smartctl -a /dev/sdX
    >>
    >>to see what your drives are (IDE vs. SATA).
    >>
    >>i

    >
    >Which yields -
    >
    >Smartctl open device: /dev/sdX failed: No such file or directory
    >
    >and yes I have IDE and SATA drives. Should this work in Gutsy?
    >
    >
    >Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226


    OK don't say it; I'm dumb - sd(a), sd(b), etc...



    Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226

  13. Re: Hardy Heron problem.

    On 2008-04-17, Roy Strachan wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 04:30:56 GMT, Roy Strachan wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 15:17:33 -0500, Ignoramus12441
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On 2008-04-16, Bill Baka wrote:
    >>>> johnny bobby bee wrote:
    >>>>> Bill Baka wrote:
    >>>>>> I was using Gutsy until automatic update installed 8.04 and things got
    >>>>>> weird. I have PATA devises and 2 SATA. 7.10 saw them all and was nice
    >>>>>> about it. 8.04 beta now tells me I have all SATA drives.
    >>>>>> Anybody else have this problem on multi-drive 'puters?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> What problem?
    >>>>>
    >>>> An IDE drive is NOT a SATA. Get it?
    >>>
    >>>You can do
    >>>
    >>> smartctl -a /dev/sdX
    >>>
    >>>to see what your drives are (IDE vs. SATA).
    >>>
    >>>i

    >>
    >>Which yields -
    >>
    >>Smartctl open device: /dev/sdX failed: No such file or directory
    >>
    >>and yes I have IDE and SATA drives. Should this work in Gutsy?
    >>
    >>
    >>Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226

    >
    > OK don't say it; I'm dumb - sd(a), sd(b), etc...


    Happens to the best of us. Did it work for you?

    i

  14. Re: Hardy Heron problem.

    Ignoramus12441 wrote:
    > On 2008-04-16, Bill Baka wrote:
    >> johnny bobby bee wrote:
    >>> Bill Baka wrote:
    >>>> I was using Gutsy until automatic update installed 8.04 and things got
    >>>> weird. I have PATA devises and 2 SATA. 7.10 saw them all and was nice
    >>>> about it. 8.04 beta now tells me I have all SATA drives.
    >>>> Anybody else have this problem on multi-drive 'puters?
    >>> What problem?
    >>>

    >> An IDE drive is NOT a SATA. Get it?

    >
    > You can do
    >
    > smartctl -a /dev/sdX
    >
    > to see what your drives are (IDE vs. SATA).
    >
    > i


    I would do that but I have taken Hardy off for right now and will be
    burning some DVD-RWs with Suse, Linspire, Debian, and a few more.
    I'm in XP right now only because I have Nero 7 on it that came with my
    DVD burner, but will be back on Hardy as soon as the official stable
    release comes out.
    I'm sending this one to myself so I can keep it and try that.

    Gutsy had no problem, and identified HDC, HDD, SDA, SDB, etc., and Hardy
    did at first then got zapped somehow.

    Anyway,
    Thanks for the tip.
    Bill Baka

  15. Re: Hardy Heron problem.

    On 2008-04-17, Bill Baka wrote:
    > Ignoramus12441 wrote:
    >> On 2008-04-16, Bill Baka wrote:
    >>> johnny bobby bee wrote:
    >>>> Bill Baka wrote:
    >>>>> I was using Gutsy until automatic update installed 8.04 and things got
    >>>>> weird. I have PATA devises and 2 SATA. 7.10 saw them all and was nice
    >>>>> about it. 8.04 beta now tells me I have all SATA drives.
    >>>>> Anybody else have this problem on multi-drive 'puters?
    >>>> What problem?
    >>>>
    >>> An IDE drive is NOT a SATA. Get it?

    >>
    >> You can do
    >>
    >> smartctl -a /dev/sdX
    >>
    >> to see what your drives are (IDE vs. SATA).
    >>
    >> i

    >
    > I would do that but I have taken Hardy off for right now and will be
    > burning some DVD-RWs with Suse, Linspire, Debian, and a few more.
    > I'm in XP right now only because I have Nero 7 on it that came with my
    > DVD burner, but will be back on Hardy as soon as the official stable
    > release comes out.
    > I'm sending this one to myself so I can keep it and try that.
    >
    > Gutsy had no problem, and identified HDC, HDD, SDA, SDB, etc., and Hardy
    > did at first then got zapped somehow.
    >


    I think that you are making a mistake. Newer kernels treat IDE drives
    by pretending that they are SCSI drives (SCSI emulation). If you want
    to stay with up to day versions of Linux, you will need to adapt to
    this change.

    This approach of looking at IDE drives by pretending thaat they are
    SCSI, is not really a choice that a distribution can make, once it
    decides on what kernel version to use.

    i

  16. Re: Hardy Heron problem.

    Ignoramus29232 wrote:
    > On 2008-04-17, Bill Baka wrote:
    >> Ignoramus12441 wrote:
    >>> On 2008-04-16, Bill Baka wrote:
    >>>> johnny bobby bee wrote:
    >>>>> Bill Baka wrote:
    >>>>>> I was using Gutsy until automatic update installed 8.04 and things got
    >>>>>> weird. I have PATA devises and 2 SATA. 7.10 saw them all and was nice
    >>>>>> about it. 8.04 beta now tells me I have all SATA drives.
    >>>>>> Anybody else have this problem on multi-drive 'puters?
    >>>>> What problem?
    >>>>>
    >>>> An IDE drive is NOT a SATA. Get it?
    >>> You can do
    >>>
    >>> smartctl -a /dev/sdX
    >>>
    >>> to see what your drives are (IDE vs. SATA).
    >>>
    >>> i

    >> I would do that but I have taken Hardy off for right now and will be
    >> burning some DVD-RWs with Suse, Linspire, Debian, and a few more.
    >> I'm in XP right now only because I have Nero 7 on it that came with my
    >> DVD burner, but will be back on Hardy as soon as the official stable
    >> release comes out.
    >> I'm sending this one to myself so I can keep it and try that.
    >>
    >> Gutsy had no problem, and identified HDC, HDD, SDA, SDB, etc., and Hardy
    >> did at first then got zapped somehow.
    >>

    >
    > I think that you are making a mistake. Newer kernels treat IDE drives
    > by pretending that they are SCSI drives (SCSI emulation). If you want
    > to stay with up to day versions of Linux, you will need to adapt to
    > this change.
    >
    > This approach of looking at IDE drives by pretending thaat they are
    > SCSI, is not really a choice that a distribution can make, once it
    > decides on what kernel version to use.
    >
    > i


    That does make more sense to me since the kernel was updated when this
    happened. If I see this with the Suse, Debian, free Solaris, or others
    my game plan changes a little, so no big deal.

    Thanks,
    Bill

+ Reply to Thread