Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing - Ubuntu ; On 2008-04-15, Hadron wrote: > Ignoramus15568 writes: > >> On 2008-04-15, Hadron wrote: >>> Ignoramus15568 writes: >>> >>>> On 2008-04-15, DFS wrote: >>>>> Ignoramus30238 wrote: >>>>>> On 2008-04-15, jellybean stonerfish wrote: >>>>> >>>>>>> If you have not added "noapic nolapic ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 37 of 37

Thread: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing

  1. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing

    On 2008-04-15, Hadron wrote:
    > Ignoramus15568 writes:
    >
    >> On 2008-04-15, Hadron wrote:
    >>> Ignoramus15568 writes:
    >>>
    >>>> On 2008-04-15, DFS wrote:
    >>>>> Ignoramus30238 wrote:
    >>>>>> On 2008-04-15, jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>>> If you have not added "noapic nolapic pci=noacpi" to your kernel boot
    >>>>>>> options, you should try. Without them, my system with an nvidia
    >>>>>>> card, will crash and burn (freeze) regularly..
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Could you explain what do these options mean?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> It means the half-ass Linux operating system is years behind Windows.
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Keep in mind, if a computer ships with Windows preinstalled, the
    >>>> manufacturers may have gone through the same tweaks to get it to work,
    >>>> as the Linux user would have to do.
    >>>>
    >>>> i
    >>>
    >>> Keep in mind, that the user doesnt care. e.g it works and thats all that
    >>> matters. The great majority of users will never even suss out how to use
    >>> Synaptic, never mind fiddle with blacklisting kernel modules as root.

    >>
    >> Sure. But if, let's say, you reinstall Windows on a laptop, you may
    >> have to go through quite a bit of BS.

    >
    > Sure. If you do. The rumours of reinstallations are greatly exaggerated
    > in COLA as I suspect you know.


    I would not know as I have not installed any Windows in a long time.


    i

  2. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing


    "DFS" wrote in message
    news:5bUMj.37489$r76.32297@bignews8.bellsouth.net. ..

    >
    > (Note the intentional cross-post. Maybe some geeks with a spine in the
    > Ubuntu group will have the balls to answer - cola is full of head-in-sand
    > weenies who can't back up their claims.)

    That's the way to make friends



  3. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing

    "DFS" writes:

    > #1, Oct 23, 2007: (warning: illiterate freetard ramble follows) "hi i just
    > installed gutsy amd64, i have nvidia graphics and i turned off desktop
    > effects incase that was causing the crashes. The machine will lock up after
    > randomly. you can use it for an hour then it will freeze or for 5 mins if
    > that and it will. Desktop effects on or off makes no difference and it
    > crashes whatever. And it's a real crash like can't move mouse or exit to
    > prompt etc."
    >
    > #637, April 12, 2008: "Seems like this very thread has been active for
    > months now, and still no easy fix seams to be available..."
    >
    >
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...reezes&page=64
    >
    >
    > This irritating slopware issue has gone on and on and on for nearly 6
    > months.
    >
    > Linux idiots and liars - not just on cola but all over the 'Net - brag about
    > "many eyes" and quick bugfixes and "Linux just works" and "I have the code".
    > So where's the Gutsy fix after 6 months?
    >
    > (Note the intentional cross-post. Maybe some geeks with a spine in the
    > Ubuntu group will have the balls to answer - cola is full of head-in-sand
    > weenies who can't back up their claims.)


    The Ubuntu group has been taken over by COLA types. It has gone down the
    toilet since. It's almost at the stage where if anyone criticises Ubuntu
    in any way they are called liars and windows shills. Willy Poaster hangs
    out there telling people who to filter. No, really, he does.

  4. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing

    DFS wrote:

    > #1, Oct 23, 2007: (warning: illiterate freetard ramble follows) "hi i just
    > installed gutsy amd64, i have nvidia graphics and i turned off desktop
    > effects incase that was causing the crashes. The machine will lock up
    > after randomly. you can use it for an hour then it will freeze or for 5
    > mins if that and it will. Desktop effects on or off makes no difference
    > and it crashes whatever. And it's a real crash like can't move mouse or
    > exit to prompt etc."
    >
    > #637, April 12, 2008: "Seems like this very thread has been active for
    > months now, and still no easy fix seams to be available..."
    >
    >
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...reezes&page=64
    >
    >
    > This irritating slopware issue has gone on and on and on for nearly 6
    > months.
    >
    > Linux idiots and liars - not just on cola but all over the 'Net - brag
    > about "many eyes" and quick bugfixes and "Linux just works" and "I have
    > the code". So where's the Gutsy fix after 6 months?
    >
    > (Note the intentional cross-post. Maybe some geeks with a spine in the
    > Ubuntu group will have the balls to answer - cola is full of head-in-sand
    > weenies who can't back up their claims.)



    Sure... Emerging from the deepest water:


    X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.3790.1830
    X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
    X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.3790.1830
    Message-ID: <5bUMj.37489$r76.32297@bignews8.bellsouth.net>
    X-Complaints-To: abuse@bellsouth.net
    X-Abuse-Info: Please forward a copy of all headers for proper handling


  5. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing



    "Ignoramus15568" wrote in message
    news:FMidnVk35q42IJnVnZ2dnUVZ_srinZ2d@giganews.com ...


    > I would not know as I have not installed any Windows in a long time.


    But that doesn't stop you telling others how hard it must be.


  6. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the UbuntuGutsy freezing

    On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 20:43:19 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

    > "Ignoramus15568" wrote in message
    > news:FMidnVk35q42IJnVnZ2dnUVZ_srinZ2d@giganews.com ...
    >
    >
    >> I would not know as I have not installed any Windows in a long time.

    >
    > But that doesn't stop you telling others how hard it must be.


    Installing Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS 2007 is as easy or easier than installing
    XP. I've done both this week.

    --
    Rick

  7. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing

    ysdywmf wrote:
    > "DFS" wrote in message
    > news:5bUMj.37489$r76.32297@bignews8.bellsouth.net. ..
    >
    >>
    >> (Note the intentional cross-post. Maybe some geeks with a spine in
    >> the Ubuntu group will have the balls to answer - cola is full of
    >> head-in-sand weenies who can't back up their claims.)

    >
    > That's the way to make friends


    You could be my friend if you answered the question honestly.



  8. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing

    Hadron wrote in
    news:fu2llf$5pa$4@registered.motzarella.org:

    > The Ubuntu group has been taken over by COLA types.


    Yes, by Moshe

    > It has gone down
    > the toilet since.


    Since you and Moshe got here ?

    > It's almost at the stage where if anyone criticises
    > Ubuntu in any way they are called liars and windows shills. Willy
    > Poaster hangs out there telling people who to filter. No, really, he
    > does.


    Face it, Moshe is the only one that has 'taken over' this group. If I sort
    my reader by poster, he has, by far, started the most threads here. And
    those weren't even in here originally, he brought them in by cross-posting
    here during a reply when the original posts were nowhere to be seen here.



  9. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 22:22:21 +0000, DanS wrote:

    > Hadron wrote in
    > news:fu2llf$5pa$4@registered.motzarella.org:
    >
    >> The Ubuntu group has been taken over by COLA types.

    >
    > Yes, by Moshe
    >
    >> It has gone down
    >> the toilet since.

    >
    > Since you and Moshe got here ?
    >
    >> It's almost at the stage where if anyone criticises Ubuntu in any way
    >> they are called liars and windows shills. Willy Poaster hangs out there
    >> telling people who to filter. No, really, he does.

    >
    > Face it, Moshe is the only one that has 'taken over' this group. If I sort
    > my reader by poster, he has, by far, started the most threads here. And
    > those weren't even in here originally, he brought them in by cross-posting
    > here during a reply when the original posts were nowhere to be seen here.


    And you're replying to one of Moshe Goldfarb (aka Flatfish) buddies, who
    is a self admitted troll. All Hardon Quack does is whine & moan about how
    bad Linux applications are.

    Hadron
    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    Message-ID:
    Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 16:30:46
    "Of course I troll sometimes. I never denied it."

    And a troll, BTW, who says that Debian "Stable" is not stable, so uses
    Debian "Testing" saying that it's more stable! Go figure...

    --
    This message was sent from a
    computer which is guaranteed
    100% free of the M$ Windoze virus.
    -- 64bit Mandriva 2008.1 --

  10. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the UbuntuGutsy freezing

    [snips]

    On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 06:17:33 -0500, Rick wrote:

    >> An example of Linux at it's finest!
    >>
    >> Why do people torture themselves like this?

    >
    > Who knows? Why do you torture yourself? Why do your Linux using family
    > members torture themselves?


    lsb_release:
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu 7.10
    Release: 7.10
    Codename: gutsy

    Kernel type: Generic, x86_64, SMP

    Video: nVidia driver

    uptime:
    01:19:51 up 9 days, 10:21

    Average system load: 100% (two BOINC instances crunching for
    worldcommunitygrid)

    Also running, at the moment:

    vlc, rendering video at 1600x1200
    Pan
    Firefox
    Skype
    Pigeon
    Apache
    MySQL
    Postgres
    KMail
    Synaptic
    leafnode
    Assorted other odds and ends (usual goodies with Linux, GNU, X and KDE)
    ssh, tunnelling http, nntp and file shares

    Responsiveness: excellent
    Stability: well, up nine days since last reboot, cant' be _that_ bad.


  11. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing

    "DFS" wrote in
    news:5bUMj.37489$r76.32297@bignews8.bellsouth.net:

    > So where's the Gutsy fix after 6 months?


    Probably hanging out with the fix for the Vista super-slow network transfer
    issue that has been an issue for over a year now.

  12. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the UbuntuGutsy freezing

    DanS wrote:
    > "DFS" wrote in
    > news:5bUMj.37489$r76.32297@bignews8.bellsouth.net:
    >
    >> So where's the Gutsy fix after 6 months?

    >
    > Probably hanging out with the fix for the Vista super-slow network transfer
    > issue that has been an issue for over a year now.


    You'd think Gates and Shuttleworth would be more on the ball!

  13. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing

    DanS wrote:
    > "DFS" wrote in
    > news:5bUMj.37489$r76.32297@bignews8.bellsouth.net:
    >
    >> So where's the Gutsy fix after 6 months?

    >
    > Probably hanging out with the fix for the Vista super-slow network
    > transfer issue that has been an issue for over a year now.


    So, you have no clue.




  14. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the UbuntuGutsy freezing



    DanS wrote:

    "DFS" <nospam@dfs_.com> wrote in news:5bUMj.37489$r76.32297@bignews8.bellsouth.net:



    So where's the Gutsy fix after 6 months?

    It will be here in a couple of weeks.  It is called hardy heron


    Probably hanging out with the fix for the Vista super-slow network transfer issue that has been an issue for over a year now.


  15. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing

    "DFS" wrote in news:SgSNj.50669$vr3.9613
    @bignews2.bellsouth.net:

    > DanS wrote:
    >> "DFS" wrote in
    >> news:5bUMj.37489$r76.32297@bignews8.bellsouth.net:
    >>
    >>> So where's the Gutsy fix after 6 months?

    >>
    >> Probably hanging out with the fix for the Vista super-slow network
    >> transfer issue that has been an issue for over a year now.

    >
    > So, you have no clue.


    On these matters ? ........No.


  16. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing

    * measekite peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

    >

    > DanS wrote:
    > > cite="mid:Xns9A83CC09645E5thisnthatadelphianet@66.250.14 6.128"
    > type="cite">
    >
    "DFS" <nospam@dfs_.com> wrote in
    > news:5bUMj.37489$r76.32297@bignews8.bellsouth.net:
    >
    >

    >

    >
    So where's the Gutsy fix after 6 months?
    >

    >

    >

    > It will be here in a couple of weeks.  It is called hardy heron

    > > cite="mid:Xns9A83CC09645E5thisnthatadelphianet@66.250.14 6.128"
    > type="cite">
    >

    > Probably hanging out with the fix for the Vista super-slow network transfer
    > issue that has been an issue for over a year now.
    >

    >
    >
    >


    Nice post, dude.

    --
    Just in terms of allocation of time resources, religion is not very
    efficient. There's a lot more I could be doing on a Sunday morning.
    -- Bill Gates, TIME magazine Vol. 149, No. 2 (13 January 1997)

  17. Re: Linux: nearly 6 months on, still no end in sight to the Ubuntu Gutsy freezing

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut

    wrote
    on Fri, 18 Apr 2008 08:47:41 -0400
    :
    > * measekite peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >>
    >>
    >>


    [snip HTMLGLob(tm) for brevity]

    >>

    >
    > Nice post, dude.
    >


    I thought I told him to fix that. :-P

    --
    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    fortune: not found

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2