Twentieth Weekly Repost of "Notice to Newcomers" - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Twentieth Weekly Repost of "Notice to Newcomers" - Ubuntu ; Ubuntu is named by date, not by consecutive numbering, so 7.10 signifies a system from October, 2007, also called Gutsy Gibbon. 7.04 was from April, 2007, Feisty Fawn. They come six months apart, and the next one should be 8.04, ...

  1. Twentieth Weekly Repost of "Notice to Newcomers"

    Ubuntu is named by date, not by consecutive numbering, so 7.10 signifies
    a system from October, 2007, also called Gutsy Gibbon. 7.04 was from
    April, 2007, Feisty Fawn. They come six months apart, and the next one
    should be 8.04, April, 2008, Hardy Heron. 7.1 has no meaning in this
    system, and 7.01, i. e., January, 2007, just didn't happen.

    This notice is repeated weekly. Apologies for the intrusion on those
    already familiar with this matter.

    --
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++
    ||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., ||

  2. Re: Twentieth Weekly TROLL of "Notice to Newcomers"

    AV3 is a troll and so writes nothing of any worth whatsoever:

  3. Re: Twentieth Weekly TROLL of "Notice to Newcomers"

    treadmill-- with the great taste of fish wrote:

    > AV3 is a troll and so writes nothing of any worth whatsoever:

    You are a top-posting idiot. His posts are very useful for
    newbies. Older hands will have normally plonked the thread, and
    never notice it. However, you add nothing of value, and even alter
    the subject to foil the plonks. Go away.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  4. Re: Twentieth Weekly TROLL of "Notice to Newcomers"

    Top posting is sometimes better.  It saves scrolling in long posts if you followed the thread.

    CBFalconer wrote:

    treadmill-- with the great taste of fish wrote:

    AV3 is a troll and so writes nothing of any worth whatsoever:

    <snips boring troll >

    You are a top-posting idiot.

    Top posting is sometimes better.  It saves scrolling in long posts if you followed the thread.  In some posts an inline comment is better.

    His posts are very useful for newbies. Older hands will have normally plonked

    plunk your magic twanger froggie

    the thread, and never notice it. However, you add nothing of value, and even alter the subject to foil the plonks. Go away.

  5. Re: Twentieth Weekly TROLL of "Notice to Newcomers"

    On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 22:35:38 -0700, measekite wrote:

    > Top posting is sometimes better.  It saves scrolling in long posts if
    > you followed the thread.

    That's what snipping is for, you snip out the bits that you aren't
    responding to and keep in the points you are responding to.

    And please... configure your newsreader to post in plain text.

    --
    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

  6. Re: Twentieth Weekly TROLL of "Notice to Newcomers"

    Trevor Best wrote:

    On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 22:35:38 -0700, measekite wrote:

    Top posting is sometimes better.&nbsp; It saves scrolling in long posts if you followed the thread.<br> <br>

    That's what snipping is for, you snip out the bits that you aren't responding to and keep in the points you are responding to.

    Totally incorrect.  In order to snip you must read and scroll.  Sometimes a top post is better.

    And please... configure your newsreader to post in plain text.

    Please update your newsreader to function like MS intended things to be in this modern day of DSL and Cable.

  7. Re: Twentieth Weekly TROLL of "Notice to Newcomers"

    > measekite wrote:
    > Trevor Best wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > Totally incorrect. In order to snip you must read and scroll.
    > Sometimes a top post is better.
    >
    >> And please... configure your newsreader to post in plain text.

    > Please update your newsreader to function like MS intended things
    > to be in this modern day of DSL and Cable.

    PLONK

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  8. Re: Twentieth Weekly TROLL of "Notice to Newcomers"

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 05:42:55 -0700, measekite wrote:

    quote>
    > Please update your newsreader to function like MS intended things to be
    > in this modern day of DSL and Cable.

    PLONK!

    --
    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

  9. Re: Twentieth Weekly TROLL of "Notice to Newcomers"

    If you can tell the difference between good advice and bad advice,
    you probably don't need advice.

  10. Re: Twentieth Weekly TROLL of "Notice to Newcomers"

    Trevor Best said:
    > PLONK!

    OMG, Trev!
    It has taken you and the Falconer this long?
    Mealeymouth make it to my killfile a while back and I thought that I
    was being lenient.

    Cybe R. Wizard
    --
    Nice computers don't go down.
    Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

  11. Re: Twentieth Weekly TROLL of "Notice to Newcomers"

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 18:21:39 -0500, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

    > Trevor Best said:
    >> PLONK!

    > OMG, Trev!
    > It has taken you and the Falconer this long?
    > Mealeymouth make it to my killfile a while back and I thought that I
    > was being lenient.
    >
    > Cybe R. Wizard

    He just joined Mike Corley (MI5 conspiracy guy) who was the only other guy
    in there, hence it was quite loud :-)

    --
    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

  12. Re: Twentieth Weekly TROLL of "Notice to Newcomers"

    CBFalconer wrote:
    > treadmill-- with the great taste of fish wrote:
    >> AV3 is a troll and so writes nothing of any worth whatsoever:

    > You are a top-posting idiot.

    Idiot, maybe. Top poster, no. Are you blind as well as stupid?

    His posts are very useful for
    > newbies.

    No they're not.

    Go away.

    **** off, you utter twat.

  13. Re: Twentieth Weekly TROLL of "Notice to Newcomers"

    CBFalconer wrote:
    > treadmill-- with the great taste of fish wrote:
    >> AV3 is a troll and so writes nothing of any worth whatsoever:

    > You are a top-posting idiot.

    Idiot, maybe. Top poster, no. Are you blind as well as stupid?

    > His posts are very useful for newbies.

    No they're not.

    > Go away.

    **** off, you utter twat.