USB modem question - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on USB modem question - Ubuntu ; Anyone have any experience with USB dialup (not DSL) modems? I want to get either a regular serial port modem or a USB but have never used USB modems. Since most new machines don't have serial ports I would like ...

  1. USB modem question

    Anyone have any experience with USB dialup (not DSL) modems? I want to get
    either a regular serial port modem or a USB but have never used USB modems.
    Since most new machines don't have serial ports I would like to hear
    opinions.

  2. Re: USB modem question

    In article , Netcon wrote:
    >Anyone have any experience with USB dialup (not DSL) modems? I want to get
    >either a regular serial port modem or a USB but have never used USB modems.
    >Since most new machines don't have serial ports I would like to hear
    >opinions.

    A multiport card with a serial port on it will only cost you $20 ish. If you
    know how serial modems are set up and work, I suggest that's $20 ish well
    spent

  3. Re: USB modem question

    On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 18:37:33 -0400
    Netcon wrote:

    > Anyone have any experience with USB dialup (not DSL) modems? I want
    > to get either a regular serial port modem or a USB but have never
    > used USB modems. Since most new machines don't have serial ports I
    > would like to hear opinions.

    Get a real modem, like us robotics or so.

    --
    Jerry McGuire: Help me, help you...
    :-)

  4. Re: USB modem question

    Netcon wrote:

    >Anyone have any experience with USB dialup (not DSL) modems? I want to get
    >either a regular serial port modem or a USB but have never used USB modems.
    >Since most new machines don't have serial ports I would like to hear
    >opinions.

    I have an actiontec USB/Serial Modem. Yep this dial-up modem can use both, and I'm using it right now.

    To answer your Questions - YES as long as it's an outside/external modem and doesn't NEED specific windows drivers - by default u can use the modem on linux. I'm using it on kubuntu with kppp.

    on my computer the prot is:

    /dev/tty/USB0

    http://www.usenet.com

  5. Re: USB modem question

    On Mon, 14 Apr 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.ubuntu, in article
    , Netcon wrote:

    >Anyone have any experience with USB dialup (not DSL) modems? I want to get
    >either a regular serial port modem or a USB but have never used USB modems.
    >Since most new machines don't have serial ports I would like to hear
    >opinions.

    If it's a real modem (I used a USR 5605 for a while), it's no difference
    between a USB and RS-232 connection. The problem is that USB is fast
    enough that it's possible to have winmodems (which lack certain hardware
    and require a software driver) on that interface - something simply not
    possible with the slower RS-232 interface. The old 'winmodem' web page
    (supposedly http://64.126.95.102:8080/gromitkc/winmodem.html - NOT verified)
    listed 8 USB modems as 'OK' (no driver needed):

    USR 5605 USR 0525
    Allied Data Technologies SFM560-USB
    Zoom Model 2985L/2986L
    Multi-Tech Systems L56DV Black Box MD1625A, Multimodem MT5634ZBA-USB
    Askey Computer Corp L56DV MagicXpress MX56VX-T1, OEM V1456VQE-T1
    Digicom/ModemBlaster DE5670
    ActionTec L56DV Actiontec USB56012 Model UM100

    and two apparently sold overseas only (Easytel TeleWell TW-5614UL+USB in
    Finland, and NetComm Model AM5050R3 in Australia). But the list also
    had 4 modems listed as Linmodems (winmodems with a Linux driver) and 10
    winmodems (windoze only driver).

    Don't forget to have a look at the Modem-HOWTO. Section 2.9 has some
    material on USB modems. If the document isn't on your system

    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 338097 Jan 17 2007 Modem-HOWTO

    you should be able to find it using any search engine. The
    Hardware-HOWTO has nothing interesting, but does refer you to
    http://www.linux-usb.org/.

    Your best bet is to see what _specific_ models are available to you,
    getting the exact model number or FCC-ID number, and looking that up
    using your favorite search engine (such as 'PT-3050 Linux' and see
    what turns up.

    Old guy

  6. Re: USB modem question

    On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 23:19:06 GMT, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > In article , Netcon wrote:
    >>Anyone have any experience with USB dialup (not DSL) modems? I want to get
    >>either a regular serial port modem or a USB but have never used USB modems.
    >>Since most new machines don't have serial ports I would like to hear
    >>opinions.

    > A multiport card with a serial port on it will only cost you $20 ish. If you
    > know how serial modems are set up and work, I suggest that's $20 ish well
    > spent

    That works fine for my machine at home but I may want to use this with
    other machines. I would like the freedom to avoid installing a serial card
    every time I go out somewhere.

    Most of the people I deal with do not have a computer set up let alone DSL.
    In this area unless you live downtown good luck with cable or DSL.

  7. Re: USB modem question

    On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 16:25:46 -0700, Holz wrote:

    > On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 18:37:33 -0400
    > Netcon wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone have any experience with USB dialup (not DSL) modems? I want
    >> to get either a regular serial port modem or a USB but have never
    >> used USB modems. Since most new machines don't have serial ports I
    >> would like to hear opinions.

    > Get a real modem, like us robotics or so.

    Perhaps you misunderstand. I am talking about a real modem that connects
    by USB.

  8. Re: USB modem question

    On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 15:05:59 -0500, Moe Trin wrote:

    > On Mon, 14 Apr 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.ubuntu, in article
    > , Netcon wrote:
    >
    >>Anyone have any experience with USB dialup (not DSL) modems? I want to get
    >>either a regular serial port modem or a USB but have never used USB modems.
    >>Since most new machines don't have serial ports I would like to hear
    >>opinions.

    > If it's a real modem (I used a USR 5605 for a while), it's no difference
    > between a USB and RS-232 connection. The problem is that USB is fast
    > enough that it's possible to have winmodems

    Quote clipped

    Yes I am aware of that. I was in hope that someone might recommend a
    specific modem that they had good luck with.

    > you should be able to find it using any search engine. The
    > Hardware-HOWTO has nothing interesting, but does refer you to
    > http://www.linux-usb.org/.

    I looked there first but most of the info delt with DSL modems and some was
    out dated.

    > Your best bet is to see what _specific_ models are available to you,
    > getting the exact model number or FCC-ID number, and looking that up
    > using your favorite search engine (such as 'PT-3050 Linux' and see
    > what turns up.
    >
    > Old guy

  9. Re: USB modem question

    On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 19:18:04 -0500, nowshining wrote:

    > Netcon wrote:
    >>
    >>Anyone have any experience with USB dialup (not DSL) modems? I want to get
    >>either a regular serial port modem or a USB but have never used USB modems.
    >>Since most new machines don't have serial ports I would like to hear
    >>opinions.

    > I have an actiontec USB/Serial Modem. Yep this dial-up modem can use both, and I'm using it right now.
    >
    > To answer your Questions - YES as long as it's an outside/external modem and doesn't NEED specific windows drivers - by default u can use the modem on linux. I'm using it on kubuntu with kppp.

    Do you have the MOAC56-Ex or the EX560LKU?

    thanks

  10. Re: USB modem question

    In article <1l9evt64jp0pp.1hjqalenexkjt.dlg@40tude.net>, Netcon wrote:
    >On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 23:19:06 GMT, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >
    >> In article , Netcon

    > wrote:
    >>>Anyone have any experience with USB dialup (not DSL) modems? I want to get
    >>>either a regular serial port modem or a USB but have never used USB modems.
    >>>Since most new machines don't have serial ports I would like to hear
    >>>opinions.

    >> A multiport card with a serial port on it will only cost you $20 ish. If you
    >> know how serial modems are set up and work, I suggest that's $20 ish well
    >> spent

    >That works fine for my machine at home but I may want to use this with
    >other machines. I would like the freedom to avoid installing a serial card
    >every time I go out somewhere.

    Ah ... fair enuff ... but that specification you added later I think. I
    assumed (oops !) that you were wanting to replace a serial modem with a USB
    in one place. Sorry

  11. Re: USB modem question

    From: Netcon
    Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 17:28:35 -0400

    Netcon wrote:

    >>Anyone have any experience with USB dialup (not DSL) modems? I want to get
    >>either a regular serial port modem or a USB but have never used USB modems.
    >>Since most new machines don't have serial ports I would like to hear
    >>opinions.

    > I have an actiontec USB/Serial Modem. Yep this dial-up modem can use both, and I'm using it right now.
    >
    > To answer your Questions - YES as long as it's an outside/external modem and doesn't NEED specific windows drivers - by default u can use the modem on linux. I'm using it on kubuntu with kppp.
    >

    >Do you have the MOAC56-Ex or the EX560LKU?

    >thanks

    I have EX560LKU (http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?Inv...0LKU&cpc=RECOM (out of stock tho))

    http://www.usenet.com

  12. Re: USB modem question

    Netcon wrote:
    > Anyone have any experience with USB dialup (not DSL) modems? I want to get
    > either a regular serial port modem or a USB but have never used USB modems.
    > Since most new machines don't have serial ports I would like to hear
    > opinions.

    Most usb modems are winmodems

    It looks like usb to serial converters are supported:

    although I have no idea what brand will work for you.
    http://www.google.com/products?q=ser...w=dd&scoring=p

  13. Re: USB modem question

    On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 20:19:33 -0500, User wrote:

    > Netcon wrote:
    >> Anyone have any experience with USB dialup (not DSL) modems? I want to get
    >> either a regular serial port modem or a USB but have never used USB modems.
    >> Since most new machines don't have serial ports I would like to hear
    >> opinions.

    > Most usb modems are winmodems

    The five that I can lay my hands on at local stores are reported to be
    hardware modems by various reports. Each of those however have a downside
    for one reason or another.

    > It looks like usb to serial converters are supported:

    That was my first thought and I would keep using my trusty dusty 10 year
    old zoom. However after trying three none of them would work with the
    modem. One of them _would_ allow me to see, setup and connect but would
    then choke on trying to go anywhere.

    > although I have no idea what brand will work for you.

    That is why I wanted to hear other experiences with particular equipment.

    > http://www.google.com/products?q=ser...w=dd&scoring=p

    The most positive results I have heard so far (here and other places) are
    for an Actiontec modem model that is no longer made.

+ Reply to Thread