Video resolution 8.04 beta - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Video resolution 8.04 beta - Ubuntu ; I'm having more trouble than usual with this problem and my previous remedies with other graphics hardware aren't working this time. Problem: installed Ub 8.04b won't let me get out of 640x400 or sometimes 800x600 res. Hardware: mobo ECS with ...

  1. Video resolution 8.04 beta

    I'm having more trouble than usual with this problem and my previous
    remedies with other graphics hardware aren't working this time.

    Problem: installed Ub 8.04b won't let me get out of 640x400 or
    sometimes 800x600 res.

    Hardware: mobo ECS with integrated NVidia GeForce7050, but the nvidia
    part isn't really directly the problem -- monitor Emprex (not a brand
    recognized by Ub) LM-1702 (recognized by Windows 98 thru' XP and by
    NVidia tools) flatscreen 17" TFT with optimal resolution 1280x1024 @
    72hz

    I've added an application with synaptic called nvidia-settings, which is
    very detailed and would be powerful but something is wrong with
    mouseclicks in it, so I can't use it effectively/ at all.

    For some reason ub doesn't like to get along with my monitor, which I've
    had trouble with before and solved with such tricks as booting with
    vga=791 and other similar steps which don't work anymore with the new
    nvidia situation.

    I've modified xorg.conf according to the guidelines here
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fi...esolutionHowto This Howto is
    intended for those who have problems with resolution

    .... but it doesn't take because when ub tries to use my changes, they
    don't work and ub replaces my xorg.conf with some kind of 'rescue'
    xorg.conf, so now the top of my xorg.conf sez "This file was generated
    by failsafeDexconf, using values from the debconf database and some
    overrides to use vesa mode." and then it goes on to say "you should use
    dexconf or another such tool for creating a 'real' xorg.conf and then
    goes on to explain all of that with an example involving a command:
    dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg - which I don't understand and am
    not familiar with.

    Altho' my monitor can accept a pretty wide range of values for its
    timing:

    Horiz: 31.5khz-80khz
    Vert: 56hz-75hz

    .... in reality the values for 1280x1024 are narrower:

    1280x1024@60hz Horiz = 70.7 khz
    1280x1024@67hz Horiz = 74.9 khz
    1280x1024@70hz Horiz = 76.8 khz
    1280x1024@72hz Horiz = 80.0 khz

    I don't really care about not being able to pick a frequency between V
    60-72hz or H 70-80khz, but I can't do anything. If I change xorg.conf
    to reflect any of those ranges, the video tries to not work, so the
    failsafe gizmo replaces xorg.conf that I built.

    If I try to use nvidia-settings to do anything (very interesting tool, I
    also have something like it working in a Win2K install) the graphical
    tool is 'out of control' because -1- I have a very awkward 640x400
    display to work with causing lots of things to run off the screen
    and -2- while I can sortof navigate with arrow keys and tab and
    shift-tab, I can do anything with enter or any kind of mouseclicks which
    make things go crazy in that app.

    I don't know which strategy to use next. I'm thinking about installing
    some kind of kde tools to see if they will give me any more power to
    manipulate xorg.conf graphically, since I'm unsuccessful with doing it
    manually.

    I'll also accept any commandline solutions which anyone would like to
    propose, but they are going to have to be better than sudo gedit
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

    --
    Mike Easter

  2. Re: Video resolution 8.04 beta

    Mike Easter wrote:
> [...]
    >
    > If I try to use nvidia-settings to do anything (very interesting tool, I
    > also have something like it working in a Win2K install) the graphical
    > tool is 'out of control' because -1- I have a very awkward 640x400
    > display to work with causing lots of things to run off the screen
    > and -2- while I can sortof navigate with arrow keys and tab and
    > shift-tab, I can do anything with enter or any kind of mouseclicks which
    > make things go crazy in that app.
    >
    > I don't know which strategy to use next. I'm thinking about installing
    > some kind of kde tools to see if they will give me any more power to
    > manipulate xorg.conf graphically, since I'm unsuccessful with doing it
    > manually.
    >
    > I'll also accept any commandline solutions which anyone would like to
    > propose, but they are going to have to be better than sudo gedit

    Mike,
    I had the same problem. I had to use the vesa driver with generic lcd
    800x600 to get to the desktop, then enable the restricted nvidia driver
    (system>administration> restricted drivers manager) rebooted, then I
    could set the monitor and res. I used the generic lcd panel 1280x1024
    60Hz available in administration > screens and graphics. Hope this
    helps. I had this problem in alpha3, thought it would be fixed by now.
    If you choose to install the driver with apt-get or synaptic The geforce
    7050 uses the nvidia-glx-new driver, here is synaptic's description of
    the driver:

    NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x/X.Org 'new' driver
    These XFree86 4.x/X.Org binary drivers provide optimized hardware
    acceleration
    of OpenGL applications via a direct-rendering X Server and supports the
    newer
    GeForce, nForce and Quadro families of NVIDIA chipsets. AGP, TV-out and
    flat panel displays are also supported.

    If you have a TNT, TNT2, or older GeForce, you may need the
    nvidia-glx-legacy
    package instead of this one. If you have a GeForce4, you may need the
    nvidia-glx
    package.
    To enable the driver, run "sudo nvidia-glx-config enable".

    BTW nvidia-settings won't install with the nvidia-glx-new restricted
    driver, at least on my box if i try to install it uninstalls the "new"
    driver.

  3. Re: Video resolution 8.04 beta

    Mike Easter wrote:
> [...]
    >
    > If I try to use nvidia-settings to do anything (very interesting tool, I
    > also have something like it working in a Win2K install) the graphical
    > tool is 'out of control' because -1- I have a very awkward 640x400
    > display to work with causing lots of things to run off the screen
    > and -2- while I can sortof navigate with arrow keys and tab and
    > shift-tab, I can do anything with enter or any kind of mouseclicks which
    > make things go crazy in that app.
    >
    > I don't know which strategy to use next. I'm thinking about installing
    > some kind of kde tools to see if they will give me any more power to
    > manipulate xorg.conf graphically, since I'm unsuccessful with doing it
    > manually.
    >
    > I'll also accept any commandline solutions which anyone would like to
    > propose, but they are going to have to be better than sudo gedit

    KDE tools won't get you anything additional. It's just a front end for
    "some" of the good stuff.

    How much memory does your video card have? Is it enough to support the
    resolution you desire? Calculate: "pixelsH" X "pixelsV" X "bpp" / 8 =
    Bytes. That is in "Bytes" so convert to MiB by dividing by 1,048,576 (or
    multiply by 0.000000954). Since video cards are generally specified in
    MB instead of MiB, you could probably just divide by one million for a
    ball-park figure.

    Find the correct sync range for your monitor. Have you tried "sudo
    ddcprobe"? I see you have these figures.

    Last night I used
    http://www.reject.org/tsd/liz/gbppr/.../monitors.html to
    determine an old Compaq Presario 1725 monitor's specs. It's a long HTML
    document, so be patient while it loads.

    Then again try the "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" but with the low
    priority ("-plow") instead of high: sudo dpkg-reconfigure -plow
    xserver-xorg and answer all of the questions.

    See: "man dpkg-reconfigure" and "man 7 debconf" for details. The
    debconf(7) man page is available here:
    http://www.penguin-soft.com/penguin/man/7/debconf.html

    If you can't find your monitor's specifications, then use the "Size"
    (17") when dpkg-reconfigure is at the step to choose whether to manually
    enter the sync ranges, or to use the monitor's size.

    If this still doesn't work, edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change the
    "Section "Screen" DefaultDepth 24" to a lower value, like 16, and try
    again (it's fastest to simply use to restart the
    X server and simply login again without rebooting).

    If that fails, then post the /var/log/Xorg.0.log data here.

    --
    John

  4. Re: Video resolution 8.04 beta

    User wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> I'm having more trouble than usual with this problem and my previous
    >> remedies with other graphics hardware aren't working this time.
    >>
    >> Problem: installed Ub 8.04b won't let me get out of 640x400 or
    >> sometimes 800x600 res.

    > I used the generic lcd panel
    > 1280x1024 60Hz available in administration > screens and graphics.

    Sometimes I can't find the screens and graphics function which has a
    test button. Currently mine is located not in administration but in
    applications/ other -- it is actually the app named displayconfig-gtk,
    and it gives me a lot of trouble.

    Since both before and since I've added the nvidia drivers named
    nividia-glx (as opposed to nvidia-glx-new), no matter what kind of
    configuration I try to test with the screens&graphics Test button, the
    configuration fails. The values which are provided for the generic LCD
    monitors don't match my LCD monitor specs at all.

    Here's what is given for the generic LCD 1280x1024

    Horizontal range: 31.5-64.0
    Vertical refresh rate: 56-65

    What matches my monitor's specs best of all is generic monitor
    1280x1024, because the values which are given for it are:

    Horizontal range: 31.5-81
    Vertical refresh rate: 50-75

    mine:
    > Horiz: 31.5khz-80khz
    > Vert: 56hz-75hz

    Then, that means that if I select that monitor, I should be able to get
    a favorable test, because those frequencies are much more like mine than
    the but all resolution values fail. But, then I suspect that the Test
    button fails, because no matter what I select, such as plug&play with a
    generic vesa or vga selection, the configuration test function fails.

    > Hope this helps. I had this problem in alpha3, thought it would be
    > fixed by now. If you choose to install the driver with apt-get or
    > synaptic The geforce 7050 uses the nvidia-glx-new driver, here is
    > synaptic's description of the driver:
    >
    > NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x/X.Org 'new' driver
    > These XFree86 4.x/X.Org binary drivers provide optimized hardware
    > acceleration
    > of OpenGL applications via a direct-rendering X Server and supports
    > the newer
    > GeForce, nForce and Quadro families of NVIDIA chipsets. AGP, TV-out
    > and flat panel displays are also supported.
    >
    > If you have a TNT, TNT2, or older GeForce, you may need the
    > nvidia-glx-legacy
    > package instead of this one. If you have a GeForce4, you may need the
    > nvidia-glx
    > package.
    > To enable the driver, run "sudo nvidia-glx-config enable".

    The descriptions for the nvidia-glx and the nvidia-glx-new are almost
    identical with the exception of the last sentence above. When I was
    reading in the forum, someone seemed to be doing better with the glx
    instead of the glx-new, but my problem is that neither one of them works
    for me.

    I have installed the glx and removed it and installed the glx-new, but
    no matter which one I use, I get unsatisfactory results in the
    screens&graphics test function. There is no monitor that I can use,
    generic (non-flat), generic LCD, plug&play in any resolution from
    640x480 up and choosing any frequencies that match or don't match my
    monitor's that will not fail the Test button if I use any nvidia driver.

    So far with a lot of experimentation, I can get this LCD monitor to pass
    the test: 1280x1024 monitor running in 1024x768 mode at 60hz but only
    if I select against any nividia drivers in favor of the vesa generic
    driver -- and so I select to keep that configuration and also OK out of
    the screens&display app. If I then log out and back in, the display
    flickers and when I get to the login and back to screens and display,
    the display has been reconfigured back to plug&play monitor running at
    800x600 at 60hz.

    > BTW nvidia-settings won't install with the nvidia-glx-new restricted
    > driver, at least on my box if i try to install it uninstalls the "new"
    > driver.

    I'm not convinced about the new. Currently I cannot run nvidia-settings
    because it wants me to enable the nividia xdriver, but if I do that my
    video will fail and I will be stuck.

    --
    Mike Easter

  5. Re: Video resolution 8.04 beta

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:

    >> Hardware: mobo ECS with integrated NVidia GeForce7050,

    > How much memory does your video card have? Is it enough to support the
    > resolution you desire?

    My video is integrated and my mobo has 4G of ram with the result that
    the video allocation gets the full 256meg, I can see that on the screen
    which appears before the normal BIOS POST. I can also see it because I
    am able to use an nvidia tool in my Win2K install which is in the 1st
    partition.

    Interestingly, that pre-BIOSpost screen sez this:

    MCP68 VGA BIOS
    Version 5.67.32.10.00
    Build 070410.3
    Engineering Release - Not for Production Use
    Copyright (C) NVIDIA Corp
    256 MB RAM

    Then after that screen goes by comes the normal AMIBIOS post screen,
    which also has a line which sez:

    4096MB OK (256MB Shared Memory Size Used)

    > Find the correct sync range for your monitor. Have you tried "sudo
    > ddcprobe"? I see you have these figures.

    I have the frequency information from the monitor's CD .pdf file, but
    the ddcprobe doesn't give me any information. I get to use the ddcprobe
    by installing xresprobe, but unfortunately my monitor doesn't want to
    talk to it. I get:

    mmap /dev/zero: Permission denied
    VESA BIOS Extensions not detected

    Data below being approached/considered one step at a time, thanks for
    the info. I've been burned so badly by making what I think are good
    wholesome changes to the xorg.conf file that I've become very wary of
    making changes to xorg.

    I like the ability to use the graphical tool Screens & Display
    (displayconfig-gtk) because of the ability to test display values. This
    gives me several different kinds of results. The most 'harsh' is when I
    see my monitor 'green light' go out instantly because the signal values
    are so far out of range and I get a screen alert about the values being
    out of range. Another result is for the green light to stay on, but I
    get no video. Then the displayconfig gizmo comes on and tells me that
    the config failed. Then sometimes I can get a successful video with an
    alert asking me if I want to save that config.

    > Last night I used
    > http://www.reject.org/tsd/liz/gbppr/.../monitors.html to
    > determine an old Compaq Presario 1725 monitor's specs. It's a long
    > HTML document, so be patient while it loads.
    >
    > Then again try the "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" but with the low
    > priority ("-plow") instead of high: sudo dpkg-reconfigure -plow
    > xserver-xorg and answer all of the questions.
    >
    > See: "man dpkg-reconfigure" and "man 7 debconf" for details. The
    > debconf(7) man page is available here:
    > http://www.penguin-soft.com/penguin/man/7/debconf.html
    >
    > If you can't find your monitor's specifications, then use the "Size"
    > (17") when dpkg-reconfigure is at the step to choose whether to
    > manually enter the sync ranges, or to use the monitor's size.
    >
    > If this still doesn't work, edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change the
    > "Section "Screen" DefaultDepth 24" to a lower value, like 16, and try
    > again (it's fastest to simply use to restart
    > the X server and simply login again without rebooting).

    I've been doing a lot of restarting the xserver lately.

    > If that fails, then post the /var/log/Xorg.0.log data here.

    I'm going to take those steps above under consideration. I'm leery of
    changing the xorg.conf file right now, because of how badly the values
    which I think should be the right values are failing in this situation.
    Sometimes when I get the video screwed up too badly I can't do anything.

    --
    Mike Easter

  6. Re: Video resolution 8.04 beta

    Newest development: inexplicably ub804b booted into 1280x1024 res at
    60hz which information I got from my monitor's OSD onscreendisplay
    function, because now my wonderful Screens&Display app won't run.
    displayconfig-gtk now crashes instead of opening, so I used gnome's
    report function to send that in. Strangely the screenresolution
    function in administration sez nothing, that is no resolution. There
    are a lot of options available to be selected in that adminscreenrez,
    but I'm leaving it alone for now.

    Here is what the xorg.conf sez now:

    # xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
    #
    # This file was generated by failsafeDexconf, using
    # values from the debconf database and some overrides to use vesa mode.
    #
    # You should use dexconf or another such tool for creating a "real"
    xorg.conf
    # For example:
    # sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    Boardname "NVIDIA GeForce 7 Series"
    Busid "PCI:0:18:0"
    Driver "vesa"
    Screen 0
    Vendorname "NVIDIA"
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Configured Monitor"
    Vendorname "Generic CRT Display"
    Modelname "Monitor 1024x768"
    Horizsync 31.5-61.0
    Vertrefresh 50-75
    modeline "640x480@60" 25.2 640 656 752 800 480 490 492
    525 -vsync -hsync
    modeline "640x480@72" 31.5 640 664 704 832 480 489 491
    520 -vsync -hsync
    modeline "640x480@75" 31.5 640 656 720 840 480 481 484
    500 -vsync -hsync
    modeline "800x600@56" 36.0 800 824 896 1024 600 601 603 625 +hsync
    +vsync
    modeline "800x600@72" 50.0 800 856 976 1040 600 637 643 666 +hsync
    +vsync
    modeline "800x600@75" 49.5 800 816 896 1056 600 601 604 625 +hsync
    +vsync

    modeline "800x600@60" 40.0 800 840 968 1056 600 601 605 628 +hsync
    +vsync
    modeline "832x624@75" 57.284 832 864 928 1152 624 625 628
    667 -vsync -hsync
    modeline "1024x768@75" 78.8 1024 1040 1136 1312 768 769 772 800
    +hsync +vsync
    modeline "1024x768@70" 75.0 1024 1048 1184 1328 768 771 777
    806 -vsync -hsync
    modeline "1024x768@60" 65.0 1024 1048 1184 1344 768 771 777
    806 -vsync -hsync
    modeline "1280x960@60" 102.1 1280 1360 1496 1712 960 961 964
    994 -hsync +vsync
    Gamma 1.0
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    Defaultdepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1024x768@70" "1024x768@60" "1024x768@75" "1280x960@60"
    "832x624@75" "800x600@60" "800x600@75" "800x600@72" "800x600@56"
    "640x480@75" "640x480@72" "640x480@60"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Default Layout"
    screen 0 "Default Screen" 0 0
    EndSection
    Section "Module"
    Load "glx"
    Load "GLcore"
    Load "v4l"
    EndSection
    Section "ServerFlags"
    EndSection

    ======= end xorg.conf =======

    Apparently the last time I configured the generic monitor (non-LCD
    1280x1024), that value 'took' even tho' it didn't appear to do so when I
    exited and reentered the xserver.

    It looks like it is using the nvidia vesa instead of the generic vesa.
    When I try to run nvidia-settings I still get the alert which sez:

    You do not appear to be using the nividia X driver. Please edit your X
    configuration file (just run 'nvidia-xconfig' as root) and restart the X
    server.

    But, I'm not going to do that right now, because the last time I tested
    those nvidia drivers with the Screens & Display displayconfig-gtk test
    function, I was getting very bad reactions from my monitor going out of
    green and alerting me that the values were out of range.

    --
    Mike Easter

  7. Re: Video resolution 8.04 beta

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > I don't know which strategy to use next. I'm thinking about installing
    > some kind of kde tools to see if they will give me any more power to
    > manipulate xorg.conf graphically, since I'm unsuccessful with doing it
    > manually.
    >
    > I'll also accept any commandline solutions which anyone would like to
    > propose, but they are going to have to be better than sudo gedit
    > /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Couple thoughts/suggestions...
    iirc, the generic 'Nvidia' driver is (was?) nv
    Have you tried that?

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    Boardname "NVIDIA GeForce 7 Series"
    Busid "PCI:0:18:0"
    Driver "nv"
    Screen 0
    Vendorname "NVIDIA"
    EndSection

    Print out a vi command cheat sheet, you're only going to use a couple
    commands... arrows to navigate, i(nsert), a(ppend), x(delete), dd(delete
    line), o(append line), Esc to end command, :wq(save and close) etc.
    Remember to Esc after every entry or you'll type gibberish and hose it
    all up... When in doubt, Esc!
    Also remember to :w often so if you get lost, quit without saving :q!
    and go back to it.

    Then work from a terminal Ctrl+Alt+F1
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop (start, restart)
    sudo cp xorg.conf bkup.xorg.conf
    sudo vi xorg.conf and clean up the file.
    Get rid of the modlines, modes, etc. that you're never using anyway.
    Makes it easier to peruse without all the extraneous lines in there.

    Read the Xorg.log (cat /var/log/Xorg.log.0 or something...) and see all
    the lines X ignores. If it's (EE) error or ignoring the line, chances
    are it doesn't need to be in xorg. Might be other clues in there too.

    If the monitor default is 1024x768 at 72hz
    then put a line for 16 depth and 24 depth 1024x768_72 and a fallback
    640x480_72 or whatever...
    Comment out either the 16 line or 24 line so it only has one option to use.
    Save, Close (:wq) then make a copy of it.
    sudo cp xorg.conf orig.xorg.conf
    startx and see what happens.
    If it blows and xorg gets overwritten, cp the orig.xorg over it and
    tweak it again.
    I did this several times getting an old Matrox Mellinium (4MB on board,
    no waiting!) card working on a Gutsy machine.
    Gutsy would whack xorg every time until I got all the settings correct,
    then it liked it and left it alone...
    When you get it working, cp xorg.conf good.xorg.conf so if anything ever
    happens to xorg, you can cp it back.
    sudo rm -i all the other failed attempts of xorg so all that's left is
    the working one and the backup.
    *don't rm the working or good one!*

  8. Re: Video resolution 8.04 beta

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > I'm going to take those steps above under consideration. I'm leery of
    > changing the xorg.conf file right now, because of how badly the values
    > which I think should be the right values are failing in this situation.
    > Sometimes when I get the video screwed up too badly I can't do anything.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

    You should still be able to access one of the six virtual consoles
    (TTY1-TTY6) with the through keystroke.

    Simple use of vi or vim will be all that is needed to edit xorg.conf to
    get it working. If it gets hosed too bad, then you can do the
    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg from the TTY console as well.

    Jump back to Screen 0 by using if it is still running,
    then to kill and restart X with your new
    configuration.

    If X died, then you can use startx which should start it.

    Don't forget the up arrow in a bash shell will go backwards in your bash
    history, which will save you a lot of retyping. It is amazing how fast
    that history trick can be used to go into vi/vim, then startx etc.

    The alternative would be to use ssh from another box, then fix
    xorg.conf, or run the dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg routine.

    --
    John

  9. Re: Video resolution 8.04 beta

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > modeline "640x480@60" 25.2 640 656 752 800 480 490 492
    > 525 -vsync -hsync
    > modeline "640x480@72" 31.5 640 664 704 832 480 489 491
    > 520 -vsync -hsync
    > modeline "640x480@75" 31.5 640 656 720 840 480 481 484
    > 500 -vsync -hsync
    > modeline "800x600@56" 36.0 800 824 896 1024 600 601 603 625 +hsync
    > +vsync
    > modeline "800x600@72" 50.0 800 856 976 1040 600 637 643 666 +hsync
    > +vsync
    > modeline "800x600@75" 49.5 800 816 896 1056 600 601 604 625 +hsync
    > +vsync
    >
    > modeline "800x600@60" 40.0 800 840 968 1056 600 601 605 628 +hsync
    > +vsync
    > modeline "832x624@75" 57.284 832 864 928 1152 624 625 628
    > 667 -vsync -hsync
    > modeline "1024x768@75" 78.8 1024 1040 1136 1312 768 769 772 800
    > +hsync +vsync
    > modeline "1024x768@70" 75.0 1024 1048 1184 1328 768 771 777
    > 806 -vsync -hsync
    > modeline "1024x768@60" 65.0 1024 1048 1184 1344 768 771 777
    > 806 -vsync -hsync
    > modeline "1280x960@60" 102.1 1280 1360 1496 1712 960 961 964
    > 994 -hsync +vsync
    > Gamma 1.0
    > EndSection
    >
    > Section "Screen"
    > Identifier "Default Screen"
    > Device "Configured Video Device"
    > Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    > Defaultdepth 24
    > SubSection "Display"
    > Depth 24
    > Modes "1024x768@70" "1024x768@60" "1024x768@75" "1280x960@60"
    > "832x624@75" "800x600@60" "800x600@75" "800x600@72" "800x600@56"
    > "640x480@75" "640x480@72" "640x480@60"
    > EndSubSection
    > EndSection
    >
    > Section "ServerLayout"
    > Identifier "Default Layout"
    > screen 0 "Default Screen" 0 0
    > EndSection
    > Section "Module"
    > Load "glx"
    > Load "GLcore"
    > Load "v4l"
    > EndSection
    > Section "ServerFlags"
    > EndSection
    >
    > ======= end xorg.conf =======

    I don't have any of those modelines, nor modes with the refresh
    frequency, in any of my ~30 Linux boxen.

    Here is the video section of my xorg.conf for Ubuntu 6.06 LTS using a
    19" Samsung SyncMaster 931B LCD monitor:

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) 65x/M650/740
    PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter"
    Driver "sis"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "SyncMaster"
    Option "DPMS"
    HorizSync 30-81
    VertRefresh 56-75
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Device "Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) 65x/M650/740
    PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter"
    Monitor "SyncMaster"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 1
    Modes "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768"
    "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 4
    Modes "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768"
    "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 8
    Modes "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768"
    "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 15
    Modes "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768"
    "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Modes "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768"
    "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768"
    "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

    All of my CRT monitors have nearly identical xorg.conf (or even the
    older XF86Config-4) files.

    I'd suggest you do as Clay recommended. You might backup the xorg.conf
    you presently are using, then try my Screen Section, and modify the
    Monitor section for your monitor's settings. Be sure the Monitor name
    matches in both sections (like where mine shows "SyncMaster" above).

    --
    John

  10. Re: Video resolution 8.04 beta

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >> modeline "640x480@60" 25.2 640 656 752 800 480 490 492
    >> 525 -vsync -hsync
    >> modeline "640x480@72" 31.5 640 664 704 832 480 489 491
    >> 520 -vsync -hsync
    >> modeline "640x480@75" 31.5 640 656 720 840 480 481 484
    >> 500 -vsync -hsync
    >> modeline "800x600@56" 36.0 800 824 896 1024 600 601 603 625 +hsync
    >> +vsync
    >> modeline "800x600@72" 50.0 800 856 976 1040 600 637 643 666 +hsync
    >> +vsync
    >> modeline "800x600@75" 49.5 800 816 896 1056 600 601 604 625 +hsync
    >> +vsync
    >>
    >> modeline "800x600@60" 40.0 800 840 968 1056 600 601 605 628 +hsync
    >> +vsync
    >> modeline "832x624@75" 57.284 832 864 928 1152 624 625 628
    >> 667 -vsync -hsync
    >> modeline "1024x768@75" 78.8 1024 1040 1136 1312 768 769 772 800
    >> +hsync +vsync
    >> modeline "1024x768@70" 75.0 1024 1048 1184 1328 768 771 777
    >> 806 -vsync -hsync
    >> modeline "1024x768@60" 65.0 1024 1048 1184 1344 768 771 777
    >> 806 -vsync -hsync
    >> modeline "1280x960@60" 102.1 1280 1360 1496 1712 960 961 964
    >> 994 -hsync +vsync
    >> Gamma 1.0
    >> EndSection
    >>
    >> Section "Screen"
    >> Identifier "Default Screen"
    >> Device "Configured Video Device"
    >> Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    >> Defaultdepth 24
    >> SubSection "Display"
    >> Depth 24
    >> Modes "1024x768@70" "1024x768@60" "1024x768@75" "1280x960@60"
    >> "832x624@75" "800x600@60" "800x600@75" "800x600@72" "800x600@56"
    >> "640x480@75" "640x480@72" "640x480@60"
    >> EndSubSection
    >> EndSection
    >>
    >> Section "ServerLayout"
    >> Identifier "Default Layout"
    >> screen 0 "Default Screen" 0 0
    >> EndSection
    >> Section "Module"
    >> Load "glx"
    >> Load "GLcore"
    >> Load "v4l"
    >> EndSection
    >> Section "ServerFlags"
    >> EndSection
    >>
    >> ======= end xorg.conf =======

    > I don't have any of those modelines, nor modes with the refresh
    > frequency, in any of my ~30 Linux boxen.

    I didn't start seeing modelines until Gutsy.
    Here's the relevant section from my TV xorg Edgy flavor, originally on a
    Dapper box.
    Feisty is similar enough that I copy it, season to taste and use it there.
    Didn't work in Gutsy though. That's when I suspect the failsafe stuff
    showed up and started going all M$ on us. (Or, simply a new improved
    version of X... I dunno?)

    Section "Monitor"
    #TV
    Identifier "Monitor[0]"
    HorizSync 30.0 - 50.0
    VertRefresh 60.0 - 60.0
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Device[0]"
    Driver "nvidia"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    Screen 0
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen[0]"
    Device "Device[0]"
    Monitor "Monitor[0]"
    DefaultDepth 24
    Option "TVStandard" "HD480i"
    Option "ConnectedMonitor" "Monitor[0]"
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1024x768_60" "640x480_60"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

    The '[0]', "ConnectedMonitor" stuff is leftover from when this xorg was
    a dual monitor LCD/TV setup. Irrelevant on a single monitor setup.

  11. Re: Video resolution 8.04 beta

    Mike Easter wrote:
> [...]

    > So far with a lot of experimentation, I can get this LCD monitor to pass
    > the test: 1280x1024 monitor running in 1024x768 mode at 60hz but only
    > if I select against any nividia drivers in favor of the vesa generic
    > driver -- and so I select to keep that configuration and also OK out of
    > the screens&display app. If I then log out and back in, the display
    > flickers and when I get to the login and back to screens and display,
    > the display has been reconfigured back to plug&play monitor running at
    > 800x600 at 60hz.
    >
    >> BTW nvidia-settings won't install with the nvidia-glx-new restricted
    >> driver, at least on my box if i try to install it uninstalls the "new"
    >> driver.

    > I'm not convinced about the new. Currently I cannot run nvidia-settings
    > because it wants me to enable the nividia xdriver, but if I do that my

    I've installed the NVIDIA linux drivers after having the same problems,
    now it works:

    name of display: :0.0
    display: :0 screen: 0
    direct rendering: Yes
    server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
    server glx version string: 1.4
    server glx extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,
    GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGI_video_sync, GLX_SGI_swap_control,
    GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_NV_float_buffer,
    GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float, GLX_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB
    client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
    client glx version string: 1.4
    client glx extensions:
    GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_visual_info,
    GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_SGI_video_sync,
    GLX_NV_swap_group, GLX_NV_video_out, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,
    GLX_SGIX_pbuffer,
    GLX_SGI_swap_control, GLX_NV_float_buffer, GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float,
    GLX_EXT_fbconfig_packed_float, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap,
    GLX_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB
    GLX version: 1.3
    GLX extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,
    GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGI_video_sync, GLX_SGI_swap_control,
    GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_NV_float_buffer,
    GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float, GLX_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB,
    GLX_ARB_get_proc_address
    OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
    OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 8500 GT/PCI/SSE2
    OpenGL version string: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 169.12
    OpenGL extensions:
    GL_ARB_color_buffer_float, GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_ARB_draw_buffers,
    GL_ARB_fragment_program, GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow,
    GL_ARB_fragment_shader, GL_ARB_half_float_pixel, GL_ARB_imaging,
    GL_ARB_multisample, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_ARB_occlusion_query,
    GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object, GL_ARB_point_parameters,
    GL_ARB_point_sprite,
    GL_ARB_shadow, GL_ARB_shader_objects, GL_ARB_shading_language_100,
    GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, GL_ARB_texture_compression,
    GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_ARB_texture_env_add,
    GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3,
    GL_ARB_texture_float,
    GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two,
    GL_ARB_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_transpose_matrix,
    GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object, GL_ARB_vertex_program,
    GL_ARB_vertex_shader,
    GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_ATI_draw_buffers, GL_ATI_texture_float,
    GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once, GL_S3_s3tc, GL_EXT_texture_env_add,
    GL_EXT_abgr, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_EXT_blend_color,
    GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate, GL_EXT_blend_func_separate,
    GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_EXT_blend_subtract,
    GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array,
    GL_EXT_Cg_shader, GL_EXT_bindable_uniform, GL_EXT_depth_bounds_test,
    GL_EXT_draw_buffers2, GL_EXT_draw_instanced,
    GL_EXT_draw_range_elements,
    GL_EXT_fog_coord, GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit,
    GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample,
    GL_EXT_framebuffer_object, GL_EXTX_framebuffer_mixed_formats,
    GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB, GL_EXT_geometry_shader4,
    GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters, GL_EXT_gpu_shader4,
    GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays, GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil,
    GL_EXT_packed_float, GL_EXT_packed_pixels, GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object,
    GL_EXT_point_parameters, GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_EXT_secondary_color,
    GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_EXT_shadow_funcs,
    GL_EXT_stencil_two_side, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_EXT_texture3D,
    GL_EXT_texture_array, GL_EXT_texture_buffer_object,
    GL_EXT_texture_compression_latc, GL_EXT_texture_compression_rgtc,
    GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc, GL_EXT_texture_cube_map,
    GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp, GL_EXT_texture_env_combine,
    GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3, GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic,
    GL_EXT_texture_integer, GL_EXT_texture_lod, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias,
    GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp, GL_EXT_texture_object,
    GL_EXT_texture_sRGB,
    GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent, GL_EXT_timer_query,
    GL_EXT_vertex_array,
    GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip, GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat,
    GL_KTX_buffer_region, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color,
    GL_NV_depth_buffer_float, GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_depth_clamp,
    GL_NV_fence, GL_NV_float_buffer, GL_NV_fog_distance,
    GL_NV_fragment_program, GL_NV_fragment_program_option,
    GL_NV_fragment_program2, GL_NV_framebuffer_multisample_coverage,
    GL_NV_geometry_shader4, GL_NV_gpu_program4, GL_NV_half_float,
    GL_NV_light_max_exponent, GL_NV_multisample_coverage,
    GL_NV_multisample_filter_hint, GL_NV_occlusion_query,
    GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil, GL_NV_parameter_buffer_object,
    GL_NV_pixel_data_range, GL_NV_point_sprite, GL_NV_primitive_restart,
    GL_NV_register_combiners, GL_NV_register_combiners2,
    GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_NV_texture_compression_vtc,
    GL_NV_texture_env_combine4, GL_NV_texture_expand_normal,
    GL_NV_texture_rectangle, GL_NV_texture_shader, GL_NV_texture_shader2,
    GL_NV_texture_shader3, GL_NV_transform_feedback,
    GL_NV_vertex_array_range,
    GL_NV_vertex_array_range2, GL_NV_vertex_program,
    GL_NV_vertex_program1_1,
    GL_NV_vertex_program2, GL_NV_vertex_program2_option,
    GL_NV_vertex_program3, GL_NVX_conditional_render,
    GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap,
    GL_SGIS_texture_lod, GL_SGIX_depth_texture, GL_SGIX_shadow,
    GL_SUN_slice_accum

    visual x bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st accumbuffer ms cav
    id dep cl sp sz l ci b ro r g b a bf th cl r g b a ns b eat
    0x21 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
    0x22 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
    0x24 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
    0x25 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
    0x26 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
    0x27 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
    0x28 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
    0x29 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
    0x2a 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
    0x2b 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 0 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
    0x2c 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 0 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
    0x2d 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 0 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
    0x2e 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 0 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
    0x2f 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
    0x30 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
    0x31 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
    0x32 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
    0x33 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
    0x34 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
    0x35 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
    0x36 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
    0x37 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
    0x38 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
    0x39 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
    0x3a 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
    0x3b 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
    0x3c 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
    0x3d 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
    0x3e 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
    0x3f 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
    0x40 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
    0x41 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
    0x42 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
    0x43 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
    0x44 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
    0x45 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
    0x46 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 0 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
    0x47 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 0 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
    0x48 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 0 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
    0x49 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 0 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
    0x4a 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
    0x4b 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
    0x4c 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
    0x4d 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
    0x4e 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
    0x4f 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
    0x50 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
    0x51 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
    0x52 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
    0x53 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
    0x54 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
    0x55 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
    0x56 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
    0x57 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
    0x58 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
    0x59 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
    0x23 32 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
    0x5a 32 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
    0x5b 32 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
    0x5c 32 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
    0x5d 32 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
    0x5e 32 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
    0x5f 32 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
    0x60 32 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
    0x61 32 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 0 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
    0x62 32 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 0 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
    0x63 32 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 0 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
    0x64 32 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 0 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
    0x65 32 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
    0x66 32 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
    0x67 32 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
    0x68 32 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
    0x69 32 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
    0x6a 32 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
    0x6b 32 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
    0x6c 32 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
    0x6d 32 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
    0x6e 32 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
    0x6f 32 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
    0x70 32 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
    0x71 32 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
    0x72 32 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
    0x73 32 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
    0x74 32 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon

  12. Re: Video resolution 8.04 beta

    JJ wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:

    >> What matches my monitor's specs best of all is generic monitor
    >> 1280x1024, because the values which are given for it are:
    >>
    >> Horizontal range: 31.5-81
    >> Vertical refresh rate: 50-75
    >>
    >> mine:
    >>> Horiz: 31.5khz-80khz
    >>> Vert: 56hz-75hz

    >> I have installed the glx and removed it and installed the glx-new,
    >> but no matter which one I use, I get unsatisfactory results in the
    >> screens&graphics test function. There is no monitor that I can use,
    >> generic (non-flat), generic LCD, plug&play in any resolution from
    >> 640x480 up and choosing any frequencies that match or don't match my
    >> monitor's that will not fail the Test button if I use any nvidia
    >> driver.

    >> I'm not convinced about the new. Currently I cannot run
    >> nvidia-settings because it wants me to enable the nividia xdriver,
    >> but if I do that my video will fail and I will be stuck.

    > I've installed the NVIDIA linux drivers after having the same
    > problems,
    > now it works:

    Good.

    > name of display: :0.0
    > display: :0 screen: 0
    > direct rendering: Yes
    > server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
    > server glx version string: 1.4
    > server glx extensions:

    What is this output above from?

    As mentioned in an earlier post, I am currently running in the desired
    rez 1280x1024, albeit at a lower frequency than optimal at 60 instead of
    72. and I am not using anything like the full potential of my nvidia
    graphics, ie 256 megs of dedicated nvidia geforce 7050 integrated.

    I don't want to experiment with installing the nvidia driver because
    previously one of my video dysfunctions got me into a loop I couldn't
    get out of. The graphical bootup 'appeared' to work, ie I got to the
    graphical login screen but it was intermittently interrupted by my
    monitor going on and off with an onscreendisplay telling me that the
    values were out of range.

    I /would/ experiment again with the drivers if I could get my Screens &
    Displays (displayconfig-gtk) function to work, because it allows a great
    deal of experimentation and then a fallback when the experiment doesn't
    work. Unfortunately screens&displays/ displayconfig-gtk/ crashes now
    any time I try to run it. Here's the output from trying to execute it
    from a terminal:

    sudo displayconfig-gtk
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/displayconfig-gtk", line 75, in
    app = DisplayConfig(options)
    File
    "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/displayconfiggtk/DisplayConfig.py",
    line 189, in __init__
    debug_scan_pci_filename=self.options.pcitable)
    File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/displayconfigabstraction.py",
    line 394, in __init__
    self._finalizeInit()
    File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/displayconfigabstraction.py",
    line 404, in _finalizeInit
    gfxcard._finalizeInit()
    File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/displayconfigabstraction.py",
    line 1123, in _finalizeInit
    screen._finalizeInit()
    File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/displayconfigabstraction.py",
    line 1588, in _finalizeInit
    (cw,ch,x,x) = self.x_live_screen.getSize()
    File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/xf86misc.py", line 77, in
    getSize
    return self.sizes[self.currentsizeid]
    IndexError: list index out of range

    That will undoubtedly wrap badly, but since the File lines are both long
    and indented, it should be 'unwrappable' for viewing.

    I also get the same result when I use gksudo displayconfig-gtk

    --
    Mike Easter

+ Reply to Thread