On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 15:34:02 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Overview of Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron on the Dell 1501
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Overall:
>| Hardy Heron is the Ubuntu release that Dell Inspiron 1501 owners have been
>| waiting for. Everything works, you only need to install 3 drivers (ATI,
>| wireless and modem). If you were hesitant about trying Ubuntu on your 1501,
>| rest assured, it takes minimal skill and computer knowledge to setup.
> `----
>
> http://www.ubuntu1501.com/2008/04/ov...-heron-on.html

This is BETTER?

Holy **** Batman!!

What did it work like before it got better?

Wireless
Two Methods:
1. The Restricted Driver Manager can install the Broadcom B43 fireware.
Firmware cutter will not work when used through the Driver Manager. In
order to install B43-fwcutter you need to use the terminal.
In a terminal Type:
sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter

2. Use NDISwrapper to install the driver. This guide will walk you through
the setup.

ATI Proprietary Driver
Two Methods:
1. The Restricted Driver Manager can install the the driver for ATI
graphics card in the Dell 1501. ATI's 2.1.7281 fglrx driver is
automatically installed, configured and 3D enabled. The best part is that
the new Ubuntu repository fglrx driver supports AIGLX, no more XGL.

2. You can install the newest ATI driver that uses AIGLX yourself. You can
find that guide here (use method two) or use Envy to install the newest ATI
driver for you.

Compiz-Fusion
Compiz-Fusion is enabled once you install the ATI Propiety Driver.
To get the most out of Compiz try installing the advanced configuration
tool.
In a terminal:
sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

Media Codecs
Hardy Heron makes codec installation easy mp3, DVD, avi, aac, mpeg, wmv,
asf, mov, flv, mp4, flash codecs are installed when you try to play them.
If you like to add all the major codecs and make playback easy, check out
my codec cheatsheet. The only thing not enabled in Ubuntu is reading
encrypted DVDs. To add DVD playback and some other helpful media codecs to
Ubuntu follow this guide.

Modem
The Conexant Modem driver is usually released by Dell once they switch
their Linux machines over to the new version of Ubuntu. I'll update the
site and this space when Dell releases the new driver.
(It doesn't work yet)

CheesyBeef said...
With Dell bios 2.6.3, suspend does not work for me, but hibernate does.

Suspend comes back with a blank, sort of flickering, screen.

rledge21 said...
I did the graphics install using Envy; The AIGLX works well, but I get
little glitches in the graphics at random. Small little white bars on the
screen at random. Any ideas?

Ovidiu said...
Are you sure suspend/hibernate works with the ATI proprietary driver? It
certainly did not work under Ubuntu Gutsy. It would be great if it worked,
as the alternative, the open source driver, does not provide any 3D
acceleration. Therefore, no fancy 3D desktops.

And the best one of all:

With Linux, you need to DOWNGRADE your BIOS!!!!

Come on already, if Windows had all these problems you guys would be going
wild and Microsoft would be out of business.

redDEAD said...
CheesyBeef

Downgrading your BIOS is easy, I wrote a mini guide a while back. All you
need is Windows, a exe file and to remember to keep your laptop PLUGGED IN
the whole time.

--
Moshe Goldfarb
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: