Guide to setting up INND - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Guide to setting up INND - Ubuntu ; Any good site that teaches dummies to setup INND? If possible, cover the perl filters as well... -- @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY. / v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and Farce be with you! /( _ )\ ...

  1. Guide to setting up INND

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.10) Linux 2.6.24.4

  2. Re: Guide to setting up INND

    Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:
    > Any good site that teaches dummies to setup INND? If possible,
    > cover the perl filters as well...

    Dummies are incapable of setting up and operating INN. ;-)

    But maybe these links will change your mind:

    http://www.isc.org/index.pl

    http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/inn.html

    http://web.inter.nl.net/users/Elena..../unix/INN/v2.3

    http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/inn/docs-2.4

    http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software...4/install.html

    http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/inn.html

    http://www.mibsoftware.com/userkt/inn2.0

    http://www.mibsoftware.com/userkt/inn/0036.htm

    http://www.faqs.org/docs/linux_network/x-087-2-inn.html

    http://web.inter.nl.net/users/Elena....unix/inn.shtml

    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/software/inn-faq

    http://www.irrlicht.net/~laura/urls.html

    Good luck. You're gonna need it!

    --
    John

  3. Re: Guide to setting up INND

    > Dummies are incapable of setting up and operating INN. ;-)

    I am definitely not a 100% dummy, but innd's config
    files are quite hard to understand...

    > But maybe these links will change your mind:

    Thanks. Is there a book dedicated to this daemon?

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.10) Linux 2.6.24.4
    ^ ^ 16:42:01 up 1 day 2:40 2 users load average: 1.03 1.04 1.06
    (CSSA):

  4. Re: Guide to setting up INND

    Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:
    >> Dummies are incapable of setting up and operating INN. ;-)
    >>

    > I am definitely not a 100% dummy, but innd's config
    > files are quite hard to understand...

    That's why I said a dummy wasn't likely to get INN working. Not that YOU
    are a dummy.

    You can use the news.software.nntp group for most any question. The
    current developers are active there and know INN from top to bottom.

    >> But maybe these links will change your mind:
    >>

    > Thanks. Is there a book dedicated to this daemon?

    None that I'm aware of, and I looked everywhere several years ago. Books
    aren't very good for the fast-paced world of technology. The Internet is
    the best place to get info that is more up-to-date.

    The links I provided are just about everything I've collected. Except
    after I sent the message I noticed you also wanted info for the Perl
    hooks. So here are a few for Cleanfeed and Suck:

    http://www.exit109.com/~jeremy/news/antispam.html

    http://www.exit109.com/~jeremy/news/cleanfeed

    http://www.bofh.it/~md/cleanfeed

    http://oss.basjes.nl/SuckMT

    http://www.rime.com.au/suck/

    I use Cleanfeed but haven't tried Suck (although I've done a lot of
    reading on it!). I can pull news using a RumorMill NNTP server on a Mac
    if needed, but since I have peer streaming, I really don't require a
    Suck/Pullnews/RumorMill type of fetcher.

    --
    John

  5. Re: Guide to setting up INND

    > The links I provided are just about everything I've collected. Except
    > after I sent the message I noticed you also wanted info for the Perl
    > hooks. So here are a few for Cleanfeed and Suck:

    Not going to write anything big in perl, but might wanna
    alter those filters. I have a little experience in modifying
    mimeDefang ...

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.10) Linux 2.6.24.4
    ^ ^ 18:38:01 up 1 day 4:36 2 users load average: 1.00 1.03 1.00
    (CSSA):

  6. Re: Guide to setting up INND

    BTW, what do you think about DNews? Seems to be easier
    and more powerful than INN, though not freeware or
    open-sourced.

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.10) Linux 2.6.24.4
    ^ ^ 18:41:01 up 1 day 4:39 2 users load average: 1.00 1.01 1.00
    (CSSA):

  7. Re: Guide to setting up INND

    Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:
    > BTW, what do you think about DNews? Seems to be easier
    > and more powerful than INN, though not freeware or
    > open-sourced.

    Well if it isn't libre free, I don't think much of it.

    According to the following Wiki target, it is not more powerful than INN.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_se...erver_packages

    It's not available in the DEB-APT either. Would a Debian/Ubuntu upgrade
    break it? Since it is commercial, what then would you do?

    It might be "easier" but that may be because it is simpler, or because
    it has a GUI.

    Since I've never used DNews, I can't comment further.

    There's nothing simpler than INN -- once it is set up. ;-)

    I haven't touched my servers in years, except to add or remove groups
    from time to time. I could automate that with control messages, but I'd
    rather have complete control.

    john@noc1:~$ ssh news7
    Password:
    Linux news7 2.4.27-2-386 #1 Wed Aug 17 09:33:35 UTC 2005 i586 GNU/Linux

    The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
    the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
    individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

    Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
    permitted by applicable law.
    No mail.

    Last login: Thu Apr 10 02:46:28 2008 from noc1.my.net
    john@news7:~$ uptime
    12:11:38 up 339 days, 13:01, 2 users, load average: 0.14, 0.07, 0.02

    john@news7:~$ ps aux | grep news
    news 15952 0.1 7.2 14572 9176 ? Ss 2007 254:14 /usr/lib/news/bin/innd -p
    3 -C
    news 15953 0.0 0.0 2904 4 ? S 2007 0:00 /bin/sh
    /usr/lib/news/bin/rc.news start
    news 15960 0.0 0.4 2948 632 ? S 2007 86:54 /bin/sh
    /usr/lib/news/bin/innwatch
    news 9926 0.0 0.1 4680 216 ? SN Apr02 0:00 /usr/bin/perl -w
    /usr/lib/news/bin/controlchan
    news 9927 0.0 0.5 2940 708 ? SN Apr02 1:37 /usr/lib/news/bin/innfeed -y
    john 11319 0.0 0.4 2340 564 pts/0 S+ Apr05 0:00 tail -F -n 1000
    /var/log/news/news.notice
    news 10692 0.0 0.4 2304 548 ? S 12:17 0:00 sleep 600
    john 10740 0.0 0.4 1824 568 pts/1 S+ 12:26 0:00 grep news
    john@news7:~$

    What are your objectives in running your own NNTP server?

    --
    John

  8. Re: Guide to setting up INND

    > What are your objectives in running your own NNTP server?

    Hope to set up a newsgroup server from source codes. Maybe to publish an
    article on it. Don't think I could receive free Usenet feeds...

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.10) Linux 2.6.24.4
    ^ ^ 14:39:01 up 2 days 37 min 2 users load average: 0.00 0.03 0.02
    (CSSA):

  9. Re: Guide to setting up INND

    Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:
    >> What are your objectives in running your own NNTP server?
    >>

    > Hope to set up a newsgroup server from source codes. Maybe to publish an
    > article on it. Don't think I could receive free Usenet feeds...

    Well, binary packages are already available. Why would you want to
    compile from source, other than a lesson in learning?

    "Publishing" an article might be better done on a Web server, where
    anyone could access it with a browser. Trying to get people to set up a
    news client, add a news server, and then subscribe to groups isn't easy.

    A light just came on! =-O

    Maybe you actually mean you want to publish an article containing
    information about how to set up a news server from source code?

    That would be a noble task indeed!

    You can get free USENET feeds from here and there. One good server is
    http://news.motzarella.org (which is also a free server for news readers).

    --
    John

  10. Re: Guide to setting up INND

    > Maybe you actually mean you want to publish an article containing
    > information about how to set up a news server from source code?
    > That would be a noble task indeed!

    I wanna do it mainly to organize the stuff I got and
    whether I could reproduce others' footsteps.

    > You can get free USENET feeds from here and there. One good server is
    > http://news.motzarella.org (which is also a free server for news readers).

    Thanks again.

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.10) Linux 2.6.24.4
    ^ ^ 17:54:01 up 2 days 3:52 2 users load average: 0.02 0.05 0.01
    (CSSA):