Building a new box - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Building a new box - Ubuntu ; I have a bunch of rescued components I am using to build a new box that will run both windoz and Ubuntu. I have a 120G HD and a 40G HD I will be installing as my drives. I will ...

  1. Building a new box

    I have a bunch of rescued components I am using to build a new box that
    will run both windoz and Ubuntu. I have a 120G HD and a 40G HD I will be
    installing as my drives. I will use the 120G as the master and the 40G as
    the slave. I would like to put the Windoz on the 40G drive and all else
    on the 120G drive.

    Is that possible to do such a partition? How should I go about that? Do I
    install Ubuntu first? How do I specify the drives I want to use? Am I in
    over my head?

    Al

  2. Re: Building a new box

    Al wrote:
    > I have a bunch of rescued components I am using to build a new box that
    > will run both windoz and Ubuntu. I have a 120G HD and a 40G HD I will be
    > installing as my drives. I will use the 120G as the master and the 40G as
    > the slave. I would like to put the Windoz on the 40G drive and all else
    > on the 120G drive.
    >
    > Is that possible to do such a partition? How should I go about that? Do I
    > install Ubuntu first? How do I specify the drives I want to use? Am I in
    > over my head?
    >
    > Al

    I would make the 40G drive master and load Windows. Make sure everything
    works and load Ubuntu on the 120G secondary drive. Manually partition
    the secondary drive when you get to that part of the Ubuntu install. It
    is a good idea to partition a fairly large chunk of space as /user along
    with the / and swap partitions. The rest of the load is automatic and
    straight forward. The Ubuntu install will create a grub file so you will
    be able to boot Windows or Ubuntu by default. You will need to edit grub
    to suit your taste. Windows needs to be installed first!

    Daniel

  3. Re: Building a new box

    Al wrote:
    > I have a bunch of rescued components I am using to build a new box
    > that will run both windoz and Ubuntu. I have a 120G HD and a 40G HD I
    > will be installing as my drives. I will use the 120G as the master
    > and the 40G as the slave. I would like to put the Windoz on the 40G
    > drive and all else on the 120G drive.
    >
    > Is that possible to do such a partition? How should I go about that?
    > Do I install Ubuntu first? How do I specify the drives I want to use?
    > Am I in over my head?

    Install Win first. When you are preparing to install, set the 40G drive
    as the active disk and first in the boot order (from the bios) and
    install Win there. Then boot an Ub live CD and use its partition editor
    to partition the 120G drive and install an Ub on the first partition
    over there and during the install have it put grub onto the mbr of the
    40G to control whether you boot win or ub.

    Subsequently you can make more partitions on the 120G for some other
    linux distros to explore.

    The business of which hdd is master and which is slave is 'immaterial'
    in terms of the behavior and performance of the drives, contrary to what
    some people think. The wiki has an article discussing that subject, and
    there are other articles on that as well. That is, if the larger drive
    is faster and has a bigger cache, it is going to perform better than the
    smaller drive based on its inherent qualities, regardless of which is
    master and which is slave. Likewise if they are handled by cable
    select.

    Depending on how many boot order options your bios is going to give you,
    it might be to your advantage to have the 40G drive be the master so
    that the drive 'order' will match the order of how grub is going to be
    seeing things.

    --
    Mike Easter

  4. Re: Building a new box

    On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 19:55:54 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

    > Al wrote:
    >> I have a bunch of rescued components I am using to build a new box that
    >> will run both windoz and Ubuntu. I have a 120G HD and a 40G HD I will
    >> be installing as my drives. I will use the 120G as the master and the
    >> 40G as the slave. I would like to put the Windoz on the 40G drive and
    >> all else on the 120G drive.
    >>
    >> Is that possible to do such a partition? How should I go about that? Do
    >> I install Ubuntu first? How do I specify the drives I want to use? Am I
    >> in over my head?

    OK, guys, thanks! Since it's play, I'll try your suggestions.

    I've built other boxes, but I've used caddies for the drives and would
    plug in the drive I wanted. It's not much slower than rebooting to just
    swap caddies. I have one computer with three caddies in it; there are 4
    bays in the box. One caddy is the hot one and the other two just are just
    keepers for the caddies; one is for the CD drive. I shut the system down
    and swap a caddy. Never have any problems that way.

    The new box is small and does not have any open bays I can use for
    caddies as they are taken up by a CD r/w drive and a DVD drive. Yeah, I
    know, get a combo, but these cost me nada! The drives mount inside.

    Al

    Al

  5. Re: Building a new box

    Al wrote:

    > I've built other boxes, but I've used caddies for the drives and would
    > plug in the drive I wanted.

    I have 2 boxes here with removable hdd trays. When the guys with the
    black helicopters come in, they will go crazy trying to figure out
    whether or not there are hdd trays somewhere that they can't find. :-)

    I've never had an external hdd in a USB enclosure.

    > The new box is small and does not have any open bays I can use for
    > caddies as they are taken up by a CD r/w drive and a DVD drive. Yeah,
    > I know, get a combo, but these cost me nada! The drives mount inside.

    I just built a box yesterday with a coolermaster case for a microatx
    board and there are two hidden 3.5" bays under the cage/s for the
    external 5.25s. The way the mounts were designed, you would put the top
    hdd in rightside up and the bottom one upside down.

    My original idea was to not use the top spot and mount just the bottom
    one upside down so there would be a little airspace around the drive,
    but I just couldn't bring myself to mounting a hdd upside down, since I
    hadn't done that before.

    I searched and read some articles and it seems there are no
    contraindications, but everyone commenting is like me and 'inhibited'
    about doing it. I just seems that gravity would be working on something
    or other in there.

    I also used some old pieces and parts along with the modern hardware,
    mobo & hdd. The coolermaster case didn't come with any PS and its
    wireharness or casefan, but I liked the case, so I robbed another case
    that was lying around.

    --
    Mike Easter

+ Reply to Thread