Re: Linux - Windows Intranet to Iternet - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: Linux - Windows Intranet to Iternet - Ubuntu ; Fred Williams illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing: > Hello, > I will be moving soon to a home with an existing windows intranet. I > expect little problem with connecting my Ubuntu to their local net, but > I have to ...

  1. Re: Linux - Windows Intranet to Iternet

    Fred Williams illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Hello,
    > I will be moving soon to a home with an existing windows intranet. I
    > expect little problem with connecting my Ubuntu to their local net, but
    > I have to use one of the other computers as a gateway to the internet.
    > Is there anything special I have to do to my setup to make that all
    > work properly?

    I wouldn't have thought so. You'd simply need to set the gateway
    address correctly and configure the network as you'd do with any other
    machine.

    Assuming you want access to intranet shares, the one thing you'd need
    to look into would be samba. Reading a few samba tutorials before
    going live would help.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  2. Re: Linux - Windows Intranet to Iternet

    On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 19:35:14 -0400, Fred Williams wrote:

    > On Sunday 13 April 2008 18:04, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Fred Williams illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> Hello,
    >>> I will be moving soon to a home with an existing windows
    >>> intranet. I
    >>> expect little problem with connecting my Ubuntu to their local net,
    >>> but I have to use one of the other computers as a gateway to the
    >>> internet. Is there anything special I have to do to my setup to make
    >>> that all work properly?

    >> I wouldn't have thought so. You'd simply need to set the gateway
    >> address correctly and configure the network as you'd do with any other
    >> machine.
    >>
    >> Assuming you want access to intranet shares, the one thing you'd need
    >> to look into would be samba. Reading a few samba tutorials before
    >> going live would help.
    >>

    > Thanks, I don't particularly need to share their files. If we need to
    > we can always attach a photo to a local email right? If I really need
    > to see something on their computers, I can always lean over in my seat
    > and peer over their shoulders. (:-)) I just need connectivity through
    > to the internet. I think it'll be fine, from what you've said. He
    > must have done this before and if I know what the settings are I can
    > usually find where to set them under "Network" or "network Tools" I
    > would think. He knows nothing of Linux, but he sets the system up
    > through a major ISP house with his office and they are all on the
    > same ... something,... it's a law Firm and they all have to go with the
    > same ISP to get a seamless, secure system.

    If they are using a Windows box as their Internet gateway, it's a good bet
    they don't have a "seamless, secure system." I work in a small medical
    office. Most of the desktops are Windows, but the Internet gateway is an
    old Pentium machine running Smoothwall for gateway/NAT/firewall. We
    have a separate box on the intranet running Fedora, that provides
    local DNS, mail, DHCP, and Samba file shares. That way, everyone in the
    office is using Linux, and they don't even know it!

    --
    MarkA
    (This space temporarily unavailable)

  3. Re: Linux - Windows Intranet to Iternet

    On 2008-04-13, Fred Williams wrote:

    > Thanks, I don't particularly need to share their files. If we need to
    > we can always attach a photo to a local email right? If I really need
    > to see something on their computers, I can always lean over in my seat
    > and peer over their shoulders. (:-)) I just need connectivity through
    > to the internet. I think it'll be fine, from what you've said. He
    > must have done this before and if I know what the settings are I can
    > usually find where to set them under "Network" or "network Tools" I
    > would think. He knows nothing of Linux, but he sets the system up
    > through a major ISP house with his office and they are all on the
    > same ... something,... it's a law Firm and they all have to go with the
    > same ISP to get a seamless, secure system.

    What we do at home, is we share files with movies, as well as other
    things, on the local network. This lets us watch movies that are
    stored on one server, on all home computers without the need to copy
    them. They just exist on Samba shared drives (windows) or NFS shares
    (Linux) and are always available.

    The shares are read only, so the kids cannot delete movies
    accidentally.