wireless mouse - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on wireless mouse - Ubuntu ; I've just installed Hardy on my HP laptop and like how things are going but I've got a couple of issues. I HATE the touchpad and want to use a mouse but as this system has no mouse port, I ...

  1. wireless mouse

    I've just installed Hardy on my HP laptop and like how things are going
    but I've got a couple of issues. I HATE the touchpad and want to use a
    mouse but as this system has no mouse port, I had used a Microsoft
    wireless with a receiver plugged into a USB port. My hope that when I
    plugged it in, Ubuntu would "see" it weren't granted and I'm wondering
    if anyone can recommend--ideally--I wireless mouse which works with
    Linux and, failing that, a USB connector type mouse?

    thanks

  2. Re: wireless mouse

    Tim Mathews wrote:

    > ...I'm wondering
    > if anyone can recommend--ideally--I wireless mouse which works with
    > Linux and, failing that, a USB connector type mouse?

    Any standard USB mouse should be detected at boot and should work just
    fine.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5

  3. Re: wireless mouse

    Mark Warner wrote:
    > Tim Mathews wrote:
    >
    >> ...I'm wondering if anyone can recommend--ideally--I wireless mouse
    >> which works with Linux and, failing that, a USB connector type mouse?

    > Any standard USB mouse should be detected at boot and should work just
    > fine.

    Logitech cordless wheel mouse works just find on Gutsy. Even notifies me
    when the batteries are low.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

  4. Re: wireless mouse

    Tim Mathews wrote:
    > I've just installed Hardy on my HP laptop and like how things are going
    > but I've got a couple of issues. I HATE the touchpad and want to use a
    > mouse but as this system has no mouse port, I had used a Microsoft
    > wireless with a receiver plugged into a USB port. My hope that when I
    > plugged it in, Ubuntu would "see" it weren't granted and I'm wondering
    > if anyone can recommend--ideally--I wireless mouse which works with
    > Linux and, failing that, a USB connector type mouse?
    >
    > thanks

    I use Logitech wheel wireless usb mouse with my Hardy and it works great.

    Stan

  5. Re: wireless mouse

    On 2008-04-13, Stan Grigaliunas wrote:
    > Tim Mathews wrote:
    >> I've just installed Hardy on my HP laptop and like how things are going
    >> but I've got a couple of issues. I HATE the touchpad and want to use a
    >> mouse but as this system has no mouse port, I had used a Microsoft
    >> wireless with a receiver plugged into a USB port. My hope that when I
    >> plugged it in, Ubuntu would "see" it weren't granted and I'm wondering
    >> if anyone can recommend--ideally--I wireless mouse which works with
    >> Linux and, failing that, a USB connector type mouse?
    >>
    >> thanks

    > I use Logitech wheel wireless usb mouse with my Hardy and it works great.
    >
    > Stan

    The computer does not really know that the mouse is wireless. It just
    looks like a mouse. Should work. Maybe the mouse is bad.

  6. Re: wireless mouse

    Tim Mathews illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > I've just installed Hardy on my HP laptop and like how things are going
    > but I've got a couple of issues. I HATE the touchpad and want to use a
    > mouse but as this system has no mouse port, I had used a Microsoft
    > wireless with a receiver plugged into a USB port. My hope that when I
    > plugged it in, Ubuntu would "see" it weren't granted and I'm wondering
    > if anyone can recommend--ideally--I wireless mouse which works with
    > Linux and, failing that, a USB connector type mouse?

    You may need to configure the mouse in xorg.

    Here is a howto: from the ubuntu site
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ManyButtonsMouseHowto

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  7. Re: wireless mouse

    "Jonathan N. Little" wrote in message
    > Mark Warner wrote:
    >> Tim Mathews wrote:
    >>
    >>> ...I'm wondering if anyone can recommend--ideally--I wireless mouse
    >>> which works with Linux and, failing that, a USB connector type mouse?

    >> Any standard USB mouse should be detected at boot and should work just
    >> fine.
    >>

    > Logitech cordless wheel mouse works just find on Gutsy. Even notifies me
    > when the batteries are low.

    You just made my day...on what's become a backup system, I HAVE a Logitech
    cordless wheel mouse!! Sometimes life is so good you have to look in the
    mirror to make sure it's your own!! ;-)

    Thanks to all for the help.

  8. Re: wireless mouse

    Moog wrote:
    > Tim Mathews illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> I've just installed Hardy on my HP laptop and like how things are going
    >> but I've got a couple of issues. I HATE the touchpad and want to use a
    >> mouse but as this system has no mouse port, I had used a Microsoft
    >> wireless with a receiver plugged into a USB port. My hope that when I
    >> plugged it in, Ubuntu would "see" it weren't granted and I'm wondering
    >> if anyone can recommend--ideally--I wireless mouse which works with
    >> Linux and, failing that, a USB connector type mouse?

    > You may need to configure the mouse in xorg.
    >
    > Here is a howto: from the ubuntu site
    > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ManyButtonsMouseHowto

    Having logged on to read my morning paper--on my MS desktp system--I saw
    these answers and repied BEFORE I had tried to setup the mouse. Well,
    imagine my joy at reading and replying to this on the Ubuntu laptop AND
    I've already gotten my first dandy surprise...this might be old news to
    you Linux/wheel mouse veterans but I just accidentally discovered that
    if one rolls the wheel while the cursor is on the desktop rather than
    the application it's a fast way to change from desktop to desktop.

    Darn!!! I shoulda tried Ubuntu a LONG time ago!!! It's looking more
    and more, just over a day into the experiment, that I'll be able to do
    everything I want/need to do in Linux and I can say, "BYE BYE" to MS!!

    Again, thanks to all...especially Linus for starting this while thing!! ;-)

  9. Re: wireless mouse

    Tim Mathews illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > Having logged on to read my morning paper--on my MS desktp system--I saw
    > these answers and repied BEFORE I had tried to setup the mouse. Well,
    > imagine my joy at reading and replying to this on the Ubuntu laptop AND
    > I've already gotten my first dandy surprise...this might be old news to
    > you Linux/wheel mouse veterans but I just accidentally discovered that
    > if one rolls the wheel while the cursor is on the desktop rather than
    > the application it's a fast way to change from desktop to desktop.
    >
    > Darn!!! I shoulda tried Ubuntu a LONG time ago!!! It's looking more
    > and more, just over a day into the experiment, that I'll be able to do
    > everything I want/need to do in Linux and I can say, "BYE BYE" to MS!!
    >
    > Again, thanks to all...especially Linus for starting this while thing!! ;-)

    No worries Tim. Welcome to the group BTW.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  10. Re: wireless mouse

    Tim Mathews wrote:

    > Moog wrote:
    >> Tim Mathews illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> I've just installed Hardy on my HP laptop and like how things are going
    >>> but I've got a couple of issues. I HATE the touchpad and want to use a
    >>> mouse but as this system has no mouse port, I had used a Microsoft
    >>> wireless with a receiver plugged into a USB port. My hope that when I
    >>> plugged it in, Ubuntu would "see" it weren't granted and I'm wondering
    >>> if anyone can recommend--ideally--I wireless mouse which works with
    >>> Linux and, failing that, a USB connector type mouse?

    >> You may need to configure the mouse in xorg.
    >>
    >> Here is a howto: from the ubuntu site
    >> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ManyButtonsMouseHowto
    >>

    > Having logged on to read my morning paper--on my MS desktp system--I saw
    > these answers and repied BEFORE I had tried to setup the mouse. Well,
    > imagine my joy at reading and replying to this on the Ubuntu laptop AND
    > I've already gotten my first dandy surprise...this might be old news to
    > you Linux/wheel mouse veterans but I just accidentally discovered that
    > if one rolls the wheel while the cursor is on the desktop rather than
    > the application it's a fast way to change from desktop to desktop.

    Aren't new discoveries uplifting? :-)

    > Darn!!! I shoulda tried Ubuntu a LONG time ago!!! It's looking more
    > and more, just over a day into the experiment, that I'll be able to do
    > everything I want/need to do in Linux and I can say, "BYE BYE" to MS!!
    >
    > Again, thanks to all...especially Linus for starting this while thing!!
    > ;-)

    He didn't, but that's another story. Please visit http://fsf.org

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    How to get help at Microsoft Support ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C2SIZ5qsSQ