Advice on graphics card - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Advice on graphics card - Ubuntu ; I have a new Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R motherboard and I bought a ATI HD2400 PRO graphics card with 256M of memory, but I can't seem to get it work properly with Compiz or 3D acceleration. I installed the ATI drivers and ...

  1. Advice on graphics card

    I have a new Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R motherboard and I bought a ATI HD2400
    PRO graphics card with 256M of memory, but I can't seem to get it work
    properly with Compiz or 3D acceleration. I installed the ATI drivers
    and while it does work, it is slow and jerky with graphic intensive
    applications such as neverball or other similar applications. I could
    not get Compiz to work at all.

    So, I am wondering if a NVidia card would work better as they seem to be
    better supported and if anyone has had any good luck with a similar
    style NVidia card that they could recommend. I would like a PCI-E x16
    style card with 256MB of memory. It does not have to be super expensive
    and I would prefer something under $100.00 and it does not have to the
    lastest and greatest card; I just need something that will work properly
    and is supported by Ubuntu better and will work with 3D acceleration and
    Compiz.

    Z.K.

  2. Re: Advice on graphics card

    Z.K. wrote:

    > So, I am wondering if a NVidia card would work better as they seem to be
    > better supported and if anyone has had any good luck with a similar
    > style NVidia card that they could recommend. *I would like a PCI-E x16
    > style card with 256MB of memory. *It does not have to be super expensive
    > and I would prefer something under $100.00 and it does not have to the
    > lastest and greatest card; I just need something that will work properly
    > and is supported by Ubuntu better and will work with 3D acceleration and
    > Compiz.

    I would advice any (onboard) Intel GPU; it just works with Compiz!

    de Kameel

  3. Re: Advice on graphics card

    Z.K. wrote:
    > I have a new Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R motherboard and I bought a ATI HD2400
    > PRO graphics card with 256M of memory, but I can't seem to get it work
    > properly with Compiz or 3D acceleration. I installed the ATI drivers
    > and while it does work, it is slow and jerky with graphic intensive
    > applications such as neverball or other similar applications. I could
    > not get Compiz to work at all.
    >
    > So, I am wondering if a NVidia card would work better as they seem to be
    > better supported and if anyone has had any good luck with a similar
    > style NVidia card that they could recommend. I would like a PCI-E x16
    > style card with 256MB of memory. It does not have to be super expensive
    > and I would prefer something under $100.00 and it does not have to the
    > lastest and greatest card; I just need something that will work properly
    > and is supported by Ubuntu better and will work with 3D acceleration and
    > Compiz.
    >
    > Z.K.

    I have been looking at this card and I was just wondering if anyone had
    any opinions and how it well does it work with Ubuntu.

    MSI NX8600GT-T2D512E OC GeForce 8600GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI
    Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card

    Z.K.

  4. Re: Advice on graphics card

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 21:57:45 +0000, Z.K. wrote:

    > Z.K. wrote:
    >> I have a new Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R motherboard and I bought a ATI HD2400
    >> PRO graphics card with 256M of memory, but I can't seem to get it work
    >> properly with Compiz or 3D acceleration. I installed the ATI drivers
    >> and while it does work, it is slow and jerky with graphic intensive
    >> applications such as neverball or other similar applications. I could
    >> not get Compiz to work at all.
    >>
    >> So, I am wondering if a NVidia card would work better as they seem to be
    >> better supported and if anyone has had any good luck with a similar
    >> style NVidia card that they could recommend. I would like a PCI-E x16
    >> style card with 256MB of memory. It does not have to be super expensive
    >> and I would prefer something under $100.00 and it does not have to the
    >> lastest and greatest card; I just need something that will work properly
    >> and is supported by Ubuntu better and will work with 3D acceleration and
    >> Compiz.
    >>
    >> Z.K.

    > I have been looking at this card and I was just wondering if anyone had
    > any opinions and how it well does it work with Ubuntu.
    >
    > MSI NX8600GT-T2D512E OC GeForce 8600GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI
    > Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card

    It will work great with the Restricted driver.
    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    COOSN-266-06-25794