MLB Game Day Audio - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on MLB Game Day Audio - Ubuntu ; One more thing I cannot do in Linux. They use Windows Media Player. I tried to load it up in Ubuntu, and nothing. Is there a Linux player that will work? Also, is anyone pressuring these providers to accomodate Linux? ...

  1. MLB Game Day Audio

    One more thing I cannot do in Linux. They use Windows Media Player. I tried
    to load it up in Ubuntu, and nothing.

    Is there a Linux player that will work?

    Also, is anyone pressuring these providers to accomodate Linux? An advocacy
    group? MLB has accomodated Mac users - why not Linux?

  2. Re: MLB Game Day Audio

    :
    : Is there a Linux player that will work?
    :
    : Also, is anyone pressuring these providers to accomodate Linux? An
    advocacy
    : group? MLB has accomodated Mac users - why not Linux?

    I have no idea who MLB is. VLC should play it. I'm sure Mplayer plays WMP
    streams for me!

  3. Re: MLB Game Day Audio

    "Cork Soaker" wrote in

    > "elaich" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    >: One more thing I cannot do in Linux. They use Windows Media Player. I
    > tried
    >: to load it up in Ubuntu, and nothing.
    >:
    >: Is there a Linux player that will work?
    >:
    >: Also, is anyone pressuring these providers to accomodate Linux? An
    > advocacy
    >: group? MLB has accomodated Mac users - why not Linux?
    >
    > I have no idea who MLB is. VLC should play it. I'm sure Mplayer
    > plays WMP streams for me!

    MLB is Major League Baseball. You must not live in the US.

    The connection is automated, so you don't have an option of what player to
    use. The player is launched automatically by the stream, and the player is
    WMP.

  4. Re: MLB Game Day Audio

    : MLB is Major League Baseball. You must not live in the US.
    :
    : The connection is automated, so you don't have an option of what player to
    : use. The player is launched automatically by the stream, and the player is
    : WMP.

    It's launched because Windows is associated with WMP. I've definitely
    listened to audio streams destined for WMP in Ubuntu.
    I'm fairly certain VLC will play it. Installing it *should* set up the
    correct associations. Have you tried VLC? It does in Windows, I'm sure
    there are libraries available to make it work in Ubuntu (if it doesn't
    already)....

    In fact, I know for certain that WMV plays in VLC under Ubuntu. I'm fairly
    sure .asx does too. What is the stream format?

  5. Re: MLB Game Day Audio

    elaich illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > "Cork Soaker" wrote in
    >

    >> "elaich" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    >>: One more thing I cannot do in Linux. They use Windows Media Player. I
    >> tried
    >>: to load it up in Ubuntu, and nothing.
    >>:
    >>: Is there a Linux player that will work?
    >>:
    >>: Also, is anyone pressuring these providers to accomodate Linux? An
    >> advocacy
    >>: group? MLB has accomodated Mac users - why not Linux?
    >>
    >> I have no idea who MLB is. VLC should play it. I'm sure Mplayer
    >> plays WMP streams for me!
    >>

    > MLB is Major League Baseball. You must not live in the US.
    >
    > The connection is automated, so you don't have an option of what player to
    > use. The player is launched automatically by the stream, and the player is
    > WMP.

    The player in Linux is opened by the address and protocol of whatever
    MLB use to stream their video. This can be any number of players and
    will just need setting up.

    Do you have a link to post? If so, someone will help. Not everyone is
    American in this NG.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  6. Re: MLB Game Day Audio

    elaich wrote:
    > One more thing I cannot do in Linux. They use Windows Media Player. I tried
    > to load it up in Ubuntu, and nothing.
    >
    > Is there a Linux player that will work?
    >
    > Also, is anyone pressuring these providers to accomodate Linux? An advocacy
    > group? MLB has accomodated Mac users - why not Linux?

    I just click on the site in Firefox and away it goes.....Looks a bit
    like Rounders ??

    --
    Regards
    Ted Wager g3tpi

  7. Re: MLB Game Day Audio

    "twager" wrote in message
    : elaich wrote:
    : > One more thing I cannot do in Linux. They use Windows Media Player. I
    tried
    : > to load it up in Ubuntu, and nothing.
    : >
    : > Is there a Linux player that will work?
    : >
    : > Also, is anyone pressuring these providers to accomodate Linux? An
    advocacy
    : > group? MLB has accomodated Mac users - why not Linux?
    :
    : I just click on the site in Firefox and away it goes.....Looks a bit
    : like Rounders ??
    :

    Rules are identical. Only girls play it here though.

  8. Re: MLB Game Day Audio

    Moog wrote in news:66dst8F2j0aqkU3@mid.individual.net:

    > Do you have a link to post? If so, someone will help. Not everyone is
    > American in this NG.

    You have to be a subscriber, so posting a link will do no good. I'm sure
    that if anyone in this group were a subscriber, they would have commented.

    I haven't had time to fool with it, but I did try it again, and the player
    that was loaded was Firefox Media Player. Didn't even know that Firefox had
    one.

+ Reply to Thread