Re: Dongle shpongle - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: Dongle shpongle - Ubuntu ; On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 11:57:04 -0400, Linonut wrote: > I have a dongle (USB thumb drive) that I have formatted with ext2. It > provides a little extra security (non-VFAT and having my login as > ownership for each ...

  1. Re: Dongle shpongle

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 11:57:04 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > I have a dongle (USB thumb drive) that I have formatted with ext2. It
    > provides a little extra security (non-VFAT and having my login as
    > ownership for each file), and files copied to it do not pick up that
    > friggin' executable bit.
    >
    > I have another dongle with two partitions, one which boots to Gnome
    > Parted, and the other being a data partition.
    >
    > Does anybody have any special setups for their dongles?

    What a complete waste of time.
    Most people are interested in using APPLICATIONS, not playing around with
    file systems.

    Why not spend your time more productively Liarnut and pick one of the 1000+
    different versions of Linux and FIX IT so that it actually works, fully and
    completely?

    Now *that* would be useful.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: Dongle shpongle

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > FIX IT so that it actually works, fully and
    > completely?
    >
    > Now *that* would be useful.

    Useful? Heck, that would be incredible! Especially since it's never been
    done, with any operating system, and probably never will be. Do you have
    a list of perfect operating systems with no bugs or flaws whatsoever? If
    so, would you mind posting it? It shouldn't tale much space.

  3. Re: Dongle shpongle

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 11:57:04 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> I have a dongle (USB thumb drive) that I have formatted with ext2. It
    >> provides a little extra security (non-VFAT and having my login as
    >> ownership for each file), and files copied to it do not pick up that
    >> friggin' executable bit.
    >>
    >> I have another dongle with two partitions, one which boots to Gnome
    >> Parted, and the other being a data partition.
    >>
    >> Does anybody have any special setups for their dongles?

    > What a complete waste of time.
    > Most people are interested in using APPLICATIONS, not playing around with
    > file systems.

    Maybe it has escaped you (or you chose to ignore it, which is more
    likely), that Linonut referred to "Gnome parted" which *is* an application.
    He also described the first dongle's layout and filesystem in the
    context of that he's *using* it to transfer files ("files copied to it
    ....").

    "Playing around with filesystems" would be a waste of time, indeed.

    So is trolling, btw.
    --
    Mails please to josef dot moellers
    and I'm on gmx dot de.

  4. Re: Dongle shpongle

    Tom Henderson wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >> FIX IT so that it actually works, fully and
    >> completely?
    >>
    >> Now *that* would be useful.
    >>

    > Useful? Heck, that would be incredible! Especially since it's never
    > been done, with any operating system, and probably never will be. Do
    > you have a list of perfect operating systems with no bugs or flaws
    > whatsoever? If so, would you mind posting it? It shouldn't tale much
    > space.

    Windows.

  5. Re: Dongle shpongle

    chrisv wrote:
    > Tom Henderson wrote:
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >>> FIX IT so that it actually works, fully and
    >>> completely?
    >>>
    >>> Now *that* would be useful.
    >>>

    >> Useful? Heck, that would be incredible! Especially since it's never
    >> been done, with any operating system, and probably never will be. Do
    >> you have a list of perfect operating systems with no bugs or flaws
    >> whatsoever? If so, would you mind posting it? It shouldn't tale much
    >> space.

    > Windows.

    I see now that I typed "tale" rather than take, and you must have
    thought I was looking for fiction. Sorry for the confusion.

  6. Re: Dongle shpongle

    * Josef Moellers peremptorily fired off this memo:

    [Cross-posts to comp.os.linux.advocacy, alt.os.windows-xp,
    microsoft.public.windows.vista.general, and alt.os.linux.ubuntu that
    were added by the imbecile and asshole "Moshe" have been snipped.]

    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >>
    >> What a complete waste of time.
    >> Most people are interested in using APPLICATIONS, not playing around with
    >> file systems.

    > Maybe it has escaped you (or you chose to ignore it, which is more
    > likely), that Linonut referred to "Gnome parted" which *is* an application.
    > He also described the first dongle's layout and filesystem in the
    > context of that he's *using* it to transfer files ("files copied to it
    > ...").
    >
    > "Playing around with filesystems" would be a waste of time, indeed.

    Why? Just because most people don't care about, why is it a waste of
    time for me do "play around" with file-systems?

    It's my system, my time. I'll do with it as I please.

    Besides, when I mentioned my dual-partitioned dongle to a Windows dude,
    he was intrigued. "I didn't know you could do that!"

    > So is trolling, btw.

    "Moshe" is a complete idiot. Pay him no attention. (It's your call, of
    course.)

    At least he was too late with his attempt to hijack the thread and use
    it to cause turmoil in other newsgroups.

    He seems to cross-post reflexively.

    --
    The next generation of interesting software will be done on the Macintosh,
    not the IBM PC.

  7. Re: Dongle shpongle

    Linonut wrote:
    > * Josef Moellers peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    > [Cross-posts to comp.os.linux.advocacy, alt.os.windows-xp,
    > microsoft.public.windows.vista.general, and alt.os.linux.ubuntu that
    > were added by the imbecile and asshole "Moshe" have been snipped.]
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >>>
    >>> What a complete waste of time.
    >>> Most people are interested in using APPLICATIONS, not playing
    >>> around with file systems.

    >> Maybe it has escaped you (or you chose to ignore it, which is more
    >> likely), that Linonut referred to "Gnome parted" which *is* an
    >> application. He also described the first dongle's layout and
    >> filesystem in the
    >> context of that he's *using* it to transfer files ("files copied to
    >> it ...").
    >>
    >> "Playing around with filesystems" would be a waste of time, indeed.

    > Why? Just because most people don't care about, why is it a waste of
    > time for me do "play around" with file-systems?
    >
    > It's my system, my time. I'll do with it as I please.
    >
    > Besides, when I mentioned my dual-partitioned dongle to a Windows
    > dude, he was intrigued. "I didn't know you could do that!"
    >
    >> So is trolling, btw.

    > "Moshe" is a complete idiot. Pay him no attention. (It's your call,
    > of course.)
    >
    > At least he was too late with his attempt to hijack the thread and use
    > it to cause turmoil in other newsgroups.
    >
    > He seems to cross-post reflexively.

    Lino let your dingle dangle at an angle on your dongle.
    Dingling your dangle in a mangle as you wangle for the bangle on your ankle.

    --
    http://www.kustomkomputa.co.uk
    - Personalised Desktop Computers

  8. Re: Dongle shpongle

    On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 12:02:43 +0100, Dr.Hal0nf1r$ wrote:

    > Lino let your dingle dangle at an angle on your dongle.
    > Dingling your dangle in a mangle as you wangle for the bangle on your ankle.

    Cute!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: Dongle shpongle

    * Dr.Hal0nf1r$ peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >> * Josef Moellers peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >> [Cross-posts to comp.os.linux.advocacy, alt.os.windows-xp,
    >> microsoft.public.windows.vista.general, and alt.os.linux.ubuntu that
    >> were added by the imbecile and asshole "Moshe" have been snipped.]
    >>
    >> He seems to cross-post reflexively.

    > Lino let your dingle dangle at an angle on your dongle.
    > Dingling your dangle in a mangle as you wangle for the bangle on your ankle.

    Dang, you caught me not snipping the cross-posts I promised to snip.

    Well, to make up for it, a little math lesson. See the sig.

    --
    The angle of dangle is inversely related to the heat of the meat.

+ Reply to Thread