Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7 - Ubuntu ; * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo: > On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 21:01:15 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote: >> On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 19:38:47 -0500, RonB wrote: >> >> Obviously the current method of "freedom of choice" is not ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 44 of 44

  1. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 21:01:15 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >> On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 19:38:47 -0500, RonB wrote:
    >>
    >> Obviously the current method of "freedom of choice" is not working.
    >> Linux at 0.6 percent of the desktop market after 10+ years is totally
    >> pathetic.

    > Around .6% is great considering how many people don't know what Linux is,
    > considering the network effects of the the installed Windows base, and
    > its associated inertia, and the herd mentality of people in general.

    And considering Gartner pegs Linux "market share" at almost three times
    "Moshe"'s figure, 1.5%, and that only in the United States. In places
    not so much under the sway of the business oligarchy, the figure is
    again yet another factor of three larger, 4.5%.

    > Even is some are defective, so what? The top contenders are at least as
    > reliable as Windows.

    None of them are defective.

    All of them have bugs.

    All of them generally work as well as XP in most areas, and better than
    XP in some.

    > I have been telling you the main reasons for the low Linux adoption
    > rate... network effects, inertia and herd mentality.

    One has to conclude that these effects are greater in America.

    > If the choices suck, why do you and your family use Linux?

    I wouldn't believe a single word "Moshe" says, no matter /what/ he says.

    The reason? Under other pseudonyms, he has bragged about his trolling
    abilities. He will say /anything/ to get a response.

    He will even choose a nym using somewhat ethically challenged methods.

    --
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't
    lose.

  2. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Matt

    wrote
    on Tue, 15 Apr 2008 19:25:28 GMT
    :

    >>> GTK+ tries to work on Windows, Mac, and Linux, making it a more complete
    >>> cross-platform system, unlike Cygwin, which is no good for Mac so far.

    >> Mac wouldn't need it unless you're discussing OS 9 or even earlier.
    >> It is, after all, BSD-based. ;-)

    > Huh? Are you saying Mac runs an X server? I understand Cygwin can run
    > an X server, but I don't know whether it's practical.

    It's a bit buried, but under the 64-bit applications section in:

    http://www.apple.com/macosx/technology/unix.html

    one gets the rather odd wording:

    Even major graphical system libraries — including
    Cocoa, X11, and OpenGL — are available to both 32-bit
    and 64-bit processes.

    Whether they're running everything under X, or merely
    allow invocation of an X server as a window (a la NeXT),
    I don't know. I suspect the former.

    As for Cygwin -- yes, it can run an X server. It's quirky
    and a bit slow, but it does work. Cygwin's X server,
    however, runs as a separate Window (though it is possible
    for the X server to take over the screen temporarily).

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #2239120:
    void f(char *p) {char *q = p; strcpy(p,q); }

  3. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Matt
    >
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 15 Apr 2008 19:25:28 GMT
    > :

    >>> Mac wouldn't need it unless you're discussing OS 9 or even earlier.
    >>> It is, after all, BSD-based. ;-)

    >> Huh? Are you saying Mac runs an X server? I understand Cygwin can run
    >> an X server, but I don't know whether it's practical.

    > It's a bit buried, but under the 64-bit applications section in:
    >
    > http://www.apple.com/macosx/technology/unix.html
    >
    > one gets the rather odd wording:
    >
    > Even major graphical system libraries — including
    > Cocoa, X11, and OpenGL — are available to both 32-bit
    > and 64-bit processes.
    >
    > Whether they're running everything under X, or merely
    > allow invocation of an X server as a window (a la NeXT),
    > I don't know. I suspect the former.
    >
    > As for Cygwin -- yes, it can run an X server. It's quirky
    > and a bit slow, but it does work. Cygwin's X server,
    > however, runs as a separate Window (though it is possible
    > for the X server to take over the screen temporarily).

    wow thanks

  4. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 21:01:15 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > So, you Linux loons have two choices.
    >
    > 1. Keep churning out one defective distribution after another. 2. Figure
    > out what is wrong with Linux and why average people are willing to pay
    > for Windows rather than use Linux and fix the problem with a
    > distribution that actually, totally, completely works.
    >
    > The ball is in your court.
    > And in fact it has been for the past 10+ years. The problem is, you
    > Linux boobs hide behind the freedom of choice flag and don't realize
    > that choice isn't really good when all the choices suck at the basic
    > level.

    Considering the intelligence of the current computer user and their
    interest in anything truly technical it's no wonder they rather buy a
    broken out of the box Windows machine from Wal-Mart than to even buy a
    decent Windows machine let alone buy something with Linux installed.

    Microsoft has made sure to dig its claws in deep so it's very hard to get
    rid of it and they're trying to do the same with consoles, servers and
    programming languages and even search and luckily they can't do it.

    Their problem is that this isn't the beginning of the computing boom.
    There are too many good choices to stop them from gaining a monopoly hold
    outside of the desktop area.

    Consider how many people do use Windows as their OS. Now consider how
    many of them won't use MSN search (even though MS makes it a default on
    IE), use Zune or even use the 360. The Nintendo Wii is completely
    underpowered and has a lot of **** games yet it stomped all over MS and
    their red-ringing 360.

    If people loved MS so much why don't they buy into everything they
    create? Or is it because Microsoft is **** but it's nearly impossible to
    buy a reasonably price computer(Macs are over priced) without Windows and
    most people only just barely understand Windows so they sure as hell
    aren't going to move to anything new.

    And if Windows is so great why do you have to live in fear of Linux
    taking over and come here and argue against it? If MS has no fear from
    Linux then why waste your valuable time coming here to be the world's
    biggest tit?

    Do you troll other insignificant things like death from ant bites?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3