Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7 - Ubuntu ; * RonB peremptorily fired off this memo: > Little Billy wrote: > >> Yep, cheap and built to stay that way *haha > > Ah, the WinTroll. A moron and proud of it. Funny. I thought he was talking about ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44

  1. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    * RonB peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Little Billy wrote:
    >
    >> Yep, cheap and built to stay that way *haha

    > Ah, the WinTroll. A moron and proud of it.

    Funny. I thought he was talking about Windows.

    --
    The obvious mathematical breakthrough would be development of an easy way to
    factor large prime numbers.

  2. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hadron

    wrote
    on Sat, 12 Apr 2008 22:41:45 +0200
    :
    > Jerry McBride writes:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> Coming from a Linux user this is quite a statement..................
    >>>

    >> Oh yeah? Are you able to compare linux source code to windows source code???
    >> I thought not...

    > And the last time you compared kernel source code Jerry?
    >
    > Most of the decent OSS is also available for Windows - source code,
    > warts and all.

    Unless one can say different, I'd say *ALL* OSS is available for
    Windows, at least at the application level.

    (This may be because all OSS is buildable under Cygwin. But it
    is available.)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #889123:
    std::vector<...> v; for(int i = 0; i < v.size(); i++) v.erase(v.begin() + i);

  3. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hadron
    >
    > wrote
    > on Sat, 12 Apr 2008 22:41:45 +0200
    > :
    >> Jerry McBride writes:

    >>> Oh yeah? Are you able to compare linux source code to windows source code???
    >>> I thought not...

    >> And the last time you compared kernel source code Jerry?
    >>
    >> Most of the decent OSS is also available for Windows - source code,
    >> warts and all.
    >>

    > Unless one can say different, I'd say *ALL* OSS is available for
    > Windows, at least at the application level.
    >
    > (This may be because all OSS is buildable under Cygwin. But it
    > is available.)

    Cygwin and WINE don't cut it for most people. The only practical way to
    break the monopoly and make the OS sufficiently irrelevant is by
    building good cross-OS and web-based apps.

  4. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    "Matt" wrote in message
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hadron
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Sat, 12 Apr 2008 22:41:45 +0200
    >> :

    >>> And the last time you compared kernel source code Jerry?
    >>>
    >>> Most of the decent OSS is also available for Windows - source code,
    >>> warts and all.
    >>>

    >> Unless one can say different, I'd say *ALL* OSS is available for
    >> Windows, at least at the application level.
    >>
    >> (This may be because all OSS is buildable under Cygwin. But it
    >> is available.)

    > Cygwin and WINE don't cut it for most people. The only practical way to
    > break the monopoly and make the OS sufficiently irrelevant is by building
    > good cross-OS and web-based apps.

    Congratulations. Add Cygwin to the list of things you know absolutely
    nothing about. Cygwin and WINE are completely different.

    WINE is used to run Windows applications on linux.

    Cygwin doesn't attempt to run linux apps. Cygwin runs Cygwin apps natively.
    It's more comparable to something like the GTK toolkit.

  5. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ezekiel

    wrote
    on Mon, 14 Apr 2008 20:25:29 -0400
    <13ee3$4803f5fa$16189@news.teranews.com>:

    > "Matt" wrote in message
    >> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hadron
    >>>
    >>> wrote
    >>> on Sat, 12 Apr 2008 22:41:45 +0200
    >>> :

    >>> Unless one can say different, I'd say *ALL* OSS is available for
    >>> Windows, at least at the application level.
    >>>
    >>> (This may be because all OSS is buildable under Cygwin. But it
    >>> is available.)

    >> Cygwin and WINE don't cut it for most people. The only practical way to
    >> break the monopoly and make the OS sufficiently irrelevant is by building
    >> good cross-OS and web-based apps.

    > Congratulations. Add Cygwin to the list of things you know absolutely
    > nothing about. Cygwin and WINE are completely different.
    >
    > WINE is used to run Windows applications on linux.
    >
    > Cygwin doesn't attempt to run linux apps. Cygwin runs Cygwin apps natively.
    > It's more comparable to something like the GTK toolkit.

    Cygwin runs Linux apps in a manner similar to a port
    of Windows apps to a Linux box on Wine. If one has the
    source, one can build it under Cygwin.

    There are a fair number of deltas, of course -- mostly in
    the audio area.

    Microsoft also have SFU, which is a rough analog to Cygwin.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #23291:
    void f(item *p) { if(p != 0) delete p; }

  6. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    "Ezekiel" writes:

    > "Matt" wrote in message
    >> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hadron
    >>>
    >>> wrote
    >>> on Sat, 12 Apr 2008 22:41:45 +0200
    >>> :

    >>> Unless one can say different, I'd say *ALL* OSS is available for
    >>> Windows, at least at the application level.
    >>>
    >>> (This may be because all OSS is buildable under Cygwin. But it
    >>> is available.)

    >> Cygwin and WINE don't cut it for most people. The only practical way to
    >> break the monopoly and make the OS sufficiently irrelevant is by building
    >> good cross-OS and web-based apps.

    > Congratulations. Add Cygwin to the list of things you know absolutely
    > nothing about. Cygwin and WINE are completely different.
    >
    > WINE is used to run Windows applications on linux.
    >
    > Cygwin doesn't attempt to run linux apps. Cygwin runs Cygwin apps natively.
    > It's more comparable to something like the GTK toolkit.

    Matt does seem to be going out of his way to be ignorant on all things he
    professes to know about. Almost as WronG as HPT ....

  7. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    Ezekiel wrote:
    > "Matt" wrote in message
    >> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hadron
    >>>
    >>> wrote
    >>> on Sat, 12 Apr 2008 22:41:45 +0200
    >>> :

    >>> Unless one can say different, I'd say *ALL* OSS is available for
    >>> Windows, at least at the application level.
    >>>
    >>> (This may be because all OSS is buildable under Cygwin. But it
    >>> is available.)

    >> Cygwin and WINE don't cut it for most people. The only practical way to
    >> break the monopoly and make the OS sufficiently irrelevant is by building
    >> good cross-OS and web-based apps.

    > Congratulations. Add Cygwin to the list of things you know absolutely
    > nothing about. Cygwin and WINE are completely different.
    >
    > WINE is used to run Windows applications on linux.
    >
    > Cygwin doesn't attempt to run linux apps. Cygwin runs Cygwin apps natively.

    Thanks, sonny. What they have in common is that they try to support
    cross-platform software use, but are too complicated for grandma to
    handle and therefore mostly ineffective in increasing Linux adoption.

    > It's more comparable to something like the GTK toolkit.

    GTK+ tries to work on Windows, Mac, and Linux, making it a more complete
    cross-platform system, unlike Cygwin, which is no good for Mac so far.

  8. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ezekiel
    >
    > wrote
    > on Mon, 14 Apr 2008 20:25:29 -0400
    > <13ee3$4803f5fa$16189@news.teranews.com>:
    >> "Matt" wrote in message

    >>> Cygwin and WINE don't cut it for most people. The only practical way to
    >>> break the monopoly and make the OS sufficiently irrelevant is by building
    >>> good cross-OS and web-based apps.

    >> Congratulations. Add Cygwin to the list of things you know absolutely
    >> nothing about. Cygwin and WINE are completely different.
    >>
    >> WINE is used to run Windows applications on linux.
    >>
    >> Cygwin doesn't attempt to run linux apps. Cygwin runs Cygwin apps natively.
    >> It's more comparable to something like the GTK toolkit.

    > Cygwin runs Linux apps in a manner similar to a port
    > of Windows apps to a Linux box on Wine. If one has the
    > source, one can build it under Cygwin.
    >
    > There are a fair number of deltas, of course -- mostly in
    > the audio area.
    >
    > Microsoft also have SFU, which is a rough analog to Cygwin.

    Yes, so all three: WINE, Cygwin, and SFU attempt to let one OS reuse
    code already written for a different OS, mostly unmodified.

    With GTK+, the programmer starts writing a cross-platform app from the
    start, putting GTK+ calls in the source code. GTK+ is one that is least
    like the others.

  9. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Matt

    wrote
    on Tue, 15 Apr 2008 01:41:44 GMT
    :
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ezekiel
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Mon, 14 Apr 2008 20:25:29 -0400
    >> <13ee3$4803f5fa$16189@news.teranews.com>:
    >>> "Matt" wrote in message

    >>> Congratulations. Add Cygwin to the list of things you know absolutely
    >>> nothing about. Cygwin and WINE are completely different.
    >>>
    >>> WINE is used to run Windows applications on linux.
    >>>
    >>> Cygwin doesn't attempt to run linux apps. Cygwin runs Cygwin apps natively.
    >>> It's more comparable to something like the GTK toolkit.

    >> Cygwin runs Linux apps in a manner similar to a port
    >> of Windows apps to a Linux box on Wine. If one has the
    >> source, one can build it under Cygwin.
    >>
    >> There are a fair number of deltas, of course -- mostly in
    >> the audio area.
    >>
    >> Microsoft also have SFU, which is a rough analog to Cygwin.

    > Yes, so all three: WINE, Cygwin, and SFU attempt to let one OS reuse
    > code already written for a different OS, mostly unmodified.
    >
    > With GTK+, the programmer starts writing a cross-platform app from the
    > start, putting GTK+ calls in the source code. GTK+ is one that is least
    > like the others.

    Not sure about the + part but GTK and libglade are very
    interesting beasties, in that one can prototype the
    GUI appearance using glade and then do backend hookups
    later on. I've always kinda liked that. KDE's kdevelop
    has a somewhat similar feature but I don't like it as much;
    it appears too absolute position-based. Libglade can also
    run in a Java/SWT environment, as well as C++ and probably
    Python as well.

    To its credit Microsoft also can support a vaguely similar
    model, but I frankly doubt they innovated it -- though
    would have to dig to find who first thought of the notion.
    Certainly Microsoft's dialog/window description language
    has been around since Win3.1 days, in some form.

    Motif also had Mrm -- I think that's what it was called;
    in any event it allowed Motif routines to read a descriptor
    file, which I think had to be compiled with a special tool.

    And of course there's Tcl/Tk, Python, and Squeak, of
    varying ages and capabilities. (Not sure if Ruby has a
    GUI or not; I'd be surprised if PHP did. Presumably Ruby
    has HTML capability.)

    AFAIK all of these are runnable on Windows, with additional
    software in some cases (Java needs a JVM, for example; the rest
    will probably need some variant of Cygwin, SFU, or other such).

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/signature: Not a text file

  10. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Matt

    wrote
    on Tue, 15 Apr 2008 01:26:18 GMT
    <_uTMj.1609$NU2.685@news01.roc.ny>:
    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >> "Matt" wrote in message

    >>> Cygwin and WINE don't cut it for most people. The only practical way to
    >>> break the monopoly and make the OS sufficiently irrelevant is by building
    >>> good cross-OS and web-based apps.

    Windows is a good cross-OS (strangely enough -- but Wine
    is an enabler on both Windows, and one can also use things
    such as VmWare on Mac OSX or Linux). A web-based app is
    a weird notion, as the fat client is Internet Explorer or
    Mozilla Firefox, both of which are complete environments
    in their own right; they usually talk to a server somewhere
    in an XML dialect.

    >> Congratulations. Add Cygwin to the list of things you know absolutely
    >> nothing about. Cygwin and WINE are completely different.
    >>
    >> WINE is used to run Windows applications on linux.
    >>
    >> Cygwin doesn't attempt to run linux apps. Cygwin runs Cygwin apps natively.

    > Thanks, sonny. What they have in common is that they try to support
    > cross-platform software use, but are too complicated for grandma to
    > handle and therefore mostly ineffective in increasing Linux adoption.

    Absolutely correct, though I'm not sure how well grandma/grandpa can
    handle the current spate of Windows malware crap either.

    >> It's more comparable to something like the GTK toolkit.

    > GTK+ tries to work on Windows, Mac, and Linux, making it a more complete
    > cross-platform system, unlike Cygwin, which is no good for Mac so far.

    Mac wouldn't need it unless you're discussing OS 9 or even earlier.
    It is, after all, BSD-based. ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows Vista. It'll Fix Everything(tm).

  11. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    >>> It's more comparable to something like the GTK toolkit.

    >> GTK+ tries to work on Windows, Mac, and Linux, making it a more complete
    >> cross-platform system, unlike Cygwin, which is no good for Mac so far.

    > Mac wouldn't need it unless you're discussing OS 9 or even earlier.
    > It is, after all, BSD-based. ;-)

    Huh? Are you saying Mac runs an X server? I understand Cygwin can run
    an X server, but I don't know whether it's practical.

  12. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 15:20:39 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 15:02:13 -0400, Fred Williams wrote:

    >>> Coming from a Linux user this is quite a statement..................
    >>>

    >> What a load of crap. Windows is far more convoluted because
    >> they have
    >> all this deception, and hidden commercial agendas, to maintain. Linux
    >> is far less convoluted and open, because it's free and that means it's
    >> free to be functional, without convolutions.

    > Sure....
    > That's why Linux has 600+ different distributions. That's why Linux has
    > 10 different sound systems. That's why Linux has at least 5 different
    > package managers.
    >
    > Would you like me to continue?
    >
    > Point is, that is why Linux is convoluted. Too many Indians and not
    > enough Chiefs.

    Yeah what a crock of **** when people get the freedom of choice, eh?

  13. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 19:28:40 +0000, Canuck57 wrote:

    > M$ is best compared to too many chiefs. 6 years for Vista...whew. What
    > a waste.

    It took so long because Microsoft wanted to rip off Linux by making 30
    different versions of Vista to choose from. Naturally Moshe has a system
    partitioned to allow him to boot into each version depending on the day
    of the month.

  14. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    Little Billy wrote:
    >>> Sure you might get 1 nut out of 10,000 buyers for whom this might be
    >>> an important factor.
    >>> However the 9,999 buyers could car less.

    >> Car - less...A Spanish victim of auto-theft.

    > You ever hear of Insurance? Or was that clunker of yours too cheap to
    > insure? lol Well at least they didn't steal your 386 PC, you can
    > still run Linux.

    If they do steal the 386 you can always run Linux on a Commodore PET.

    --
    http://www.kustomkomputa.co.uk
    - Personalised Desktop Computers

  15. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    Frank Stallone wrote:

    >> Point is, that is why Linux is convoluted. Too many Indians and not
    >> enough Chiefs.

    > Yeah what a crock of **** when people get the freedom of choice, eh?

    New day, same old FUD. As I've said before, the only people who seem worried
    about choice in Linux are those who don't use it.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  16. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 19:38:47 -0500, RonB wrote:

    > Frank Stallone wrote:
    >
    >>> Point is, that is why Linux is convoluted. Too many Indians and not
    >>> enough Chiefs.

    >> Yeah what a crock of **** when people get the freedom of choice, eh?

    > New day, same old FUD. As I've said before, the only people who seem worried
    > about choice in Linux are those who don't use it.

    Obviously the current method of "freedom of choice" is not working.
    Linux at 0.6 percent of the desktop market after 10+ years is totally
    pathetic.

    So, you Linux loons have two choices.

    1. Keep churning out one defective distribution after another.
    2. Figure out what is wrong with Linux and why average people are willing
    to pay for Windows rather than use Linux and fix the problem with a
    distribution that actually, totally, completely works.

    The ball is in your court.
    And in fact it has been for the past 10+ years.
    The problem is, you Linux boobs hide behind the freedom of choice flag and
    don't realize that choice isn't really good when all the choices suck at
    the basic level.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  17. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 21:01:15 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> Yeah what a crock of **** when people get the freedom of choice, eh?

    >> New day, same old FUD. As I've said before, the only people who seem
    >> worried about choice in Linux are those who don't use it.

    > Obviously the current method of "freedom of choice" is not working.
    > Linux at 0.6 percent of the desktop market after 10+ years is totally
    > pathetic.

    Around .6% is great considering how many people don't know what Linux is,
    considering the network effects of the the installed Windows base, and
    its associated inertia, and the herd mentality of people in general.

    > So, you Linux loons have two choices.

    .... talking to your self again?

    > 1. Keep churning out one defective distribution after another.

    Even is some are defective, so what? The top contenders are at least as
    reliable as Windows.

    2. Figure
    > out what is wrong with Linux and why average people are willing to pay
    > for Windows rather than use Linux and fix the problem with a
    > distribution that actually, totally, completely works.

    I have been telling you the main reasons for the low Linux adoption
    rate... network effects, inertia and herd mentality.

    > The ball is in your court.
    > And in fact it has been for the past 10+ years. The problem is, you
    > Linux boobs hide behind the freedom of choice flag and don't realize
    > that choice isn't really good when all the choices suck at the basic
    > level.

    If the choices suck, why do you and your family use Linux?

    --
    Rick

  18. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    Rick wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 21:01:15 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> New day, same old FUD. As I've said before, the only people who seem
    >>> worried about choice in Linux are those who don't use it.

    >> Obviously the current method of "freedom of choice" is not working.
    >> Linux at 0.6 percent of the desktop market after 10+ years is totally
    >> pathetic.

    > Around .6% is great considering how many people don't know what Linux
    > is, considering the network effects of the the installed Windows
    > base, and its associated inertia, and the herd mentality of people in
    > general.

    If people didn't know what linux is already, it might have been considerably
    higher.

    >> So, you Linux loons have two choices.

    > ... talking to your self again?
    >

    >> 1. Keep churning out one defective distribution after another.

    > Even is some are defective, so what? The top contenders are at least
    > as reliable as Windows.

    What a fantastic endorsement. "Use linux: it's at least as reliable as
    Windows."

    > 2. Figure
    >> out what is wrong with Linux and why average people are willing to
    >> pay for Windows rather than use Linux and fix the problem with a
    >> distribution that actually, totally, completely works.

    > I have been telling you the main reasons for the low Linux adoption
    > rate... network effects, inertia and herd mentality.

    You left out /Familiarity/

    >> The ball is in your court.
    >> And in fact it has been for the past 10+ years. The problem is, you
    >> Linux boobs hide behind the freedom of choice flag and don't realize
    >> that choice isn't really good when all the choices suck at the basic
    >> level.

    > If the choices suck, why do you and your family use Linux?

  19. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    "Rick" stated in post
    I9mdnUlG98KDxZjVnZ2dnUVZ_tninZ2d@supernews.com on 4/15/08 6:36 PM:

    > On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 21:01:15 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> New day, same old FUD. As I've said before, the only people who seem
    >>> worried about choice in Linux are those who don't use it.

    >> Obviously the current method of "freedom of choice" is not working.
    >> Linux at 0.6 percent of the desktop market after 10+ years is totally
    >> pathetic.

    > Around .6% is great considering how many people don't know what Linux is,

    You mean other than the millions you talked about elsewhere, right?

    > considering the network effects of the the installed Windows base, and
    > its associated inertia, and the herd mentality of people in general.

    Ah, your mantra. How funny.

    --
    I am one of only .3% of people who have avoided becoming a statistic.

  20. Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

    On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 18:49:38 -0700, Damian wrote:

    > Rick wrote:

    >>> Obviously the current method of "freedom of choice" is not working.
    >>> Linux at 0.6 percent of the desktop market after 10+ years is totally
    >>> pathetic.

    >> Around .6% is great considering how many people don't know what Linux
    >> is, considering the network effects of the the installed Windows base,
    >> and its associated inertia, and the herd mentality of people in
    >> general.

    > If people didn't know what linux is already, it might have been
    > considerably higher.

    People don't know what it is. Go to a mall.. one without a CompUSA or
    Frys,etc ... ask 100 people what Linux is. Get back to us.

    >>> So, you Linux loons have two choices.

    >> ... talking to your self again?
    >>

    >>> 1. Keep churning out one defective distribution after another.

    >> Even is some are defective, so what? The top contenders are at least as
    >> reliable as Windows.

    > What a fantastic endorsement. "Use linux: it's at least as reliable as
    > Windows."

    If I say it is easier to install than Windows (which it is ,in my
    opinion) the wintrolls go spastic. Not the informed and/or intellignet
    users, the trolls.

    >> 2. Figure
    >>> out what is wrong with Linux and why average people are willing to pay
    >>> for Windows rather than use Linux and fix the problem with a
    >>> distribution that actually, totally, completely works.

    >> I have been telling you the main reasons for the low Linux adoption
    >> rate... network effects, inertia and herd mentality.

    > You left out /Familiarity/

    Covered in network effects and herd mentality.