Nvidia card - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Nvidia card - Ubuntu ; What's the best price/performance value in an Nvidia card that's Ubuntu compatible? I've looking for a vid card that uses the newer Nvidia driver instead of the legacy driver.........

  1. Nvidia card

    What's the best price/performance value in an Nvidia card that's
    Ubuntu compatible? I've looking for a vid card that uses the newer
    Nvidia driver instead of the legacy driver......

  2. Re: Nvidia card

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 09:20:14 -0500, Sarah D. wrote:

    > What's the best price/performance value in an Nvidia card that's
    > Ubuntu compatible? I've looking for a vid card that uses the newer
    > Nvidia driver instead of the legacy driver......

    The 8800GTX.

  3. Re: Nvidia card

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 09:20:14 -0500, Sarah D. wrote:

    > What's the best price/performance value in an Nvidia card that's
    > Ubuntu compatible? I've looking for a vid card that uses the newer
    > Nvidia driver instead of the legacy driver......

    GT8500

  4. Re: Nvidia card

    "Sarah D." wrote in message
    > What's the best price/performance value in an Nvidia card that's
    > Ubuntu compatible? I've looking for a vid card that uses the newer
    > Nvidia driver instead of the legacy driver......

    No problem with my fanless 8500 GT.

  5. Re: Nvidia card

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 14:44:42 -0500, Sarah D. wrote:

    > Canuck57 wrote:
    >

    >> "Sarah D." wrote in message
    >>> What's the best price/performance value in an Nvidia card that's
    >>> Ubuntu compatible? I've looking for a vid card that uses the newer
    >>> Nvidia driver instead of the legacy driver......

    >> No problem with my fanless 8500 GT.

    > I went over to Newegg looking at this series. It looks like every
    > single one is an PCI Express x16 interface.
    >
    > Will a PCI Express x16 board plug into a regular PCI slot??

    No, you must have a PCI express slot. If you don't have PCI express, Then
    you might have an AGP slot. This card would work fine for you. http://
    tinyurl.com/5c5b6p I have the PCI express version instead, but it works
    great on Ubuntu 7.10 64bit version with the restricted driver.

    --
    Vance Howard
    vhoward1122atgmaildotcom

  6. Re: Nvidia card

    Canuck57 wrote:

    > "Sarah D." wrote in message
    >> What's the best price/performance value in an Nvidia card that's
    >> Ubuntu compatible? I've looking for a vid card that uses the newer
    >> Nvidia driver instead of the legacy driver......

    > No problem with my fanless 8500 GT.

    I went over to Newegg looking at this series. It looks like every
    single one is an PCI Express x16 interface.

    Will a PCI Express x16 board plug into a regular PCI slot??

  7. Re: Nvidia card

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 14:44:42 -0500, Sarah D. wrote:

    > Canuck57 wrote:
    >

    >> "Sarah D." wrote in message
    >>> What's the best price/performance value in an Nvidia card that's
    >>> Ubuntu compatible? I've looking for a vid card that uses the newer
    >>> Nvidia driver instead of the legacy driver......

    >> No problem with my fanless 8500 GT.

    > I went over to Newegg looking at this series. It looks like every
    > single one is an PCI Express x16 interface.
    >
    > Will a PCI Express x16 board plug into a regular PCI slot??

    Nope.

    Try another similar card in the 8xxx series they are apt to have the same
    hardware.

    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    COOSN-266-06-25794

  8. Re: Nvidia card

    Sarah D. wrote:
    > What's the best price/performance value in an Nvidia card that's
    > Ubuntu compatible? I've looking for a vid card that uses the newer
    > Nvidia driver instead of the legacy driver......

    Depends on what you want to do, If you just need some more 'video'
    breathing room like me, I just dropped two PNY Technologies GForce
    FX5200 (256MB, dual head each) into my Ubuntu box last month. I'm not a
    major gamer so at $60.00(US) each, they gave me the breathing room that
    only three+ monitors can provide and they are snappy enough for my
    gaming needs.

    --
    Norman
    Registered Linux user #461062

  9. Re: Nvidia card

    Norman Peelman wrote:

    > Depends on what you want to do, If you just need some more 'video'
    >breathing room like me, I just dropped two PNY Technologies GForce
    >FX5200 (256MB, dual head each) into my Ubuntu box last month. I'm not a
    >major gamer so at $60.00(US) each, they gave me the breathing room that
    >only three+ monitors can provide and they are snappy enough for my
    >gaming needs.

    I had problems with PNY ram some years back, so I now try to avoid
    that particular brand. Particularly in video cards, which have their
    own ram.

+ Reply to Thread