vncserver configuration - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on vncserver configuration - Ubuntu ; Hi All, I am running Ubuntu Gusty. I reinstalled the OS recently and I tried to get back the old vnc server functionality I had before, but something's not right this time, and I am not sure how to configure ...

  1. vncserver configuration

    Hi All,

    I am running Ubuntu Gusty. I reinstalled the OS recently and I tried to get
    back the old vnc server functionality I had before, but something's not
    right this time, and I am not sure how to configure it. In my previous
    installation, I used to be able to ssh into the machine and do "vncserver
    :2" and from my other machine (Windows) just run the vnc viewer through the
    ssh port forwarding.

    I recently tried that again on the new installation, and the vnc viewer only
    showed my a graying window with an X as the cursor. There was no desktop,
    menu bar or icons.

    So, I installed tightvncserver via apt-get, but this time, when I log in
    there is a bash (?) window open but still no desktop, menu bar or icons.

    My main purpose is to be able to login via vncserver as a separate user, and
    not disturb the current user's display. We could be both on at the same
    time.

    Any help appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: vncserver configuration

    > I am running Ubuntu Gusty. I reinstalled the OS recently and I tried to
    > get back the old vnc server functionality I had before, but something's
    > not right this time, and I am not sure how to configure it. In my
    > "vncserver :2" and from my other machine (Windows) just run the vnc
    > viewer through the ssh port forwarding.

    In /etc/X11/xorg.conf, do you have a line `Load "vnc"` in Section
    Module? Did you forget that you have a command in the login script
    to start vncserver automagically?

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.10) Linux 2.6.24.4

  3. Re: vncserver configuration

    Daniel wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am running Ubuntu Gusty. I reinstalled the OS recently and I tried to
    > get back the old vnc server functionality I had before, but something's
    > not right this time, and I am not sure how to configure it. In my
    > "vncserver :2" and from my other machine (Windows) just run the vnc
    > viewer through the ssh port forwarding.
    >
    > I recently tried that again on the new installation, and the vnc viewer
    > only showed my a graying window with an X as the cursor. There was no
    > desktop, menu bar or icons.
    >
    > So, I installed tightvncserver via apt-get, but this time, when I log in
    > there is a bash (?) window open but still no desktop, menu bar or icons.
    >
    > My main purpose is to be able to login via vncserver as a separate user,
    > and not disturb the current user's display. We could be both on at the
    > same time.
    >
    > Any help appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    You need to uncomment 2 lines in the config file to get X to work

  4. Re: vncserver configuration

    Ian Pawson wrote:
    > You need to uncomment 2 lines in the config file to get X to work

    Was that intended to be useful information? :-)

  5. Re: vncserver configuration

    Tom Henderson wrote:
    > Ian Pawson wrote:
    >> You need to uncomment 2 lines in the config file to get X to work

    > Was that intended to be useful information? :-)

    Well yes, by default the config file comments out the 2 lines needed to
    get an xserver window running. The text in the config file tells you this.

  6. Re: vncserver configuration

    "Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" wrote in message
    >> I am running Ubuntu Gusty. I reinstalled the OS recently and I tried to
    >> get back the old vnc server functionality I had before, but something's
    >> not right this time, and I am not sure how to configure it. In my
    >> "vncserver :2" and from my other machine (Windows) just run the vnc
    >> viewer through the ssh port forwarding.

    > In /etc/X11/xorg.conf, do you have a line `Load "vnc"` in Section
    > Module? Did you forget that you have a command in the login script
    > to start vncserver automagically?

    It does not seem like I have a 'Load "vnc"' section. Here is the complete
    file listing:
    # xorg.conf (xorg X Window System server configuration file)
    #
    # This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
    # values from the debconf database.
    #
    # Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
    # (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
    #
    # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
    # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
    # package.
    #
    # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
    # again, run the following command:
    # sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

    Section "Files"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "CoreKeyboard"
    Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "CorePointer"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
    Driver "synaptics"
    Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
    Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "0"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Driver "wacom"
    Identifier "stylus"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"
    Option "Type" "stylus"
    Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4" # Tablet PC ONLY
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Driver "wacom"
    Identifier "eraser"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"
    Option "Type" "eraser"
    Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4" # Tablet PC ONLY
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Driver "wacom"
    Identifier "cursor"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"
    Option "Type" "cursor"
    Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4" # Tablet PC ONLY
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility M7 LW [Radeon
    Mobility 7500]"
    Driver "ati"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Generic Monitor"
    Option "DPMS"
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Device "ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility M7 LW [Radeon
    Mobility 7500]"
    Monitor "Generic Monitor"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Modes "1400x1050"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Default Layout"
    Screen "Default Screen"
    InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
    InputDevice "Configured Mouse"

    # Uncomment if you have a wacom tablet
    # InputDevice "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
    # InputDevice "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"
    # InputDevice "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"
    InputDevice "Synaptics Touchpad"
    EndSection

    Thanks.

  7. Re: vncserver configuration

    "Ian Pawson" wrote in message
    > Daniel wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I am running Ubuntu Gusty. I reinstalled the OS recently and I tried to
    >> get back the old vnc server functionality I had before, but something's
    >> not right this time, and I am not sure how to configure it. In my
    >> "vncserver :2" and from my other machine (Windows) just run the vnc
    >> viewer through the ssh port forwarding.
    >>
    >> I recently tried that again on the new installation, and the vnc viewer
    >> only showed my a graying window with an X as the cursor. There was no
    >> desktop, menu bar or icons.
    >>
    >> So, I installed tightvncserver via apt-get, but this time, when I log in
    >> there is a bash (?) window open but still no desktop, menu bar or icons.
    >>
    >> My main purpose is to be able to login via vncserver as a separate user,
    >> and not disturb the current user's display. We could be both on at the
    >> same time.
    >>
    >> Any help appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.

    > You need to uncomment 2 lines in the config file to get X to work

    Which config file? For tightvncserver or vncserver or X11 (as a previous
    poster suggested)?

    I could not find anything like /etc/tightvncserver or /etc/vncserver. I
    found etc/vnc.conf, though. Is this what I should change? There are many
    things commented out. Here are the contents of it:

    # /etc/vnc.conf written by Marcus Brinkmann. This file is in the Public
    Domain.
    #
    # This is the configuration file for the vncserver package.
    # It is perl syntax, but only variable assignment is allowed.
    # A semicolon will be added if missing.
    # Every value has suitable defaults, so you probably don't need any file.
    #
    # This file will be sourced by `vncserver' and `vncpasswd'.
    # After this file, $(HOME)/.vncrc will be sourced, so values can be
    # overwritten on a per-user basis. If you want to reactivate the default
    # value there, you have to specify an empty value. For example, $fontPath
    # will set to the default value after
    #
    # $fontPath = "/foo";
    # $fontPath = "";
    #
    # If you are missing something, please let me know.
    # Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de

    # System configuration
    # --------------------
    #
    # This section contains entries that should be true for all users.

    # $vncClasses should be the path to the java classes of server.
    # $vncClasses = "/usr/share/vncserver";

    # $XFConfigPath can be set to the global XF86Config file. This will be
    # parsed to gain default values for $fontPath and
    $colorPath.
    # If you want to disable this feature, point it to an
    # invalid file, "/foo" for example.
    # $XFConfigPath = "/etc/X11/XF86Config";

    # $fontPath should be a comma seperated list of fonts to be added to the
    font
    # path. If not specified, and $XFConfigPath is valid, vncserver
    # will read the $fontPath from there. If both are not set, the
    # default will apply.
    # Example: $fontPath = "tcp/localhost:7100"; # would make vnc to use
    xfs.
    # Example: $fontPath = "";
    # $fontPath .= "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,";
    # $fontPath .= "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled,";
    # $fontPath .= "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled,";
    # $fontPath .= "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,";
    # $fontPath .= "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,";
    # $fontPath .= "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/,";
    # $fontPath .= "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/,";
    # $fontPath .= "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/freefont/,";
    # $fontPath .= "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/sharefont/";
    # I don't know what the default is, though.

    # $colorPath should be the RGB file to be used by X. This can also be taken
    from
    # XF86Config file if specified by $XFConfigPath
    # $colorPath = "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb";

    # User configuration
    # ------------------
    #
    # This section contains entries that may change from user to user.

    # $vncUserDir contains the filename for the log files directory of Xvnc
    # (the server) and the viewers that are connected to it.
    # $vncUserDir = "$ENV{HOME}/.vnc";

    # $vncPasswdFile contains the filename of the password file for Xvnc.
    # $vncPasswdFile = $vncUserDir . "/passwd";

    # $vncStartup points to a script that will be started at the very beginning.
    # $vncStartup = "/etc/X11/Xsession";

    # $xauthorityFile should be the path to the authority file that should be
    used
    # by your vnc X server.
    # $xauthorityFile = "$ENV{HOME}/.Xauthority";

    # $defaultDesktopName should be set to the default name of the desktop.
    # This can be changed at the command line with -name.
    # $defaultDesktopName = "X";

    # $geometry sets framebuffer width & height. Default will be calculated if
    # server is started from within a running X servers. Can be
    changed at
    # the commandline (-geometry). A fixed default will be used if
    # vncserver is not invoked in a running X session.
    # Example: $geometry ="640x480";

    # $depth sets the framebuffer color depth. Must be between 8 and 32.
    # $pixelformat sets the default pixelformat.
    # The default will be calculated if none of both is specified
    # and when vncserver is called from within a running X servers.
    # Can be changed at the command line with option -depth.
    # A fixed default value will be used if vncserver is not
    # invoked in a running X session.
    # Example: $depth = "16";
    # $pixelformat = "rgb565";

    # $getDefaultFrom sets the display from which you can query the default of
    # the above three options, if you don't want to start
    vncserver
    # from within a running X server. It will be added to the
    call
    # of xdpyinfo.
    # It is useful to get the default from the X server you will
    # run xvncviewer in.
    # Example: $getDefaultFrom = "-display localhost:0"

    # $rfbwait sets the maximum time in msec to wait for vnc client viewer.
    # $rfbwait = "120000";

    Thanks.

  8. Re: vncserver configuration

    Daniel wrote:

> [...]

    > # and when vncserver is called from within a running X
    > servers.
    > # Can be changed at the command line with option -depth.
    > # A fixed default value will be used if vncserver is not
    > # invoked in a running X session.
    > # Example: $depth = "16";
    > # $pixelformat = "rgb565";
    >
    > # $getDefaultFrom sets the display from which you can query the default of
    > # the above three options, if you don't want to start
    > vncserver
    > # from within a running X server. It will be added to
    > the call
    > # of xdpyinfo.
    > # It is useful to get the default from the X server you
    > will
    > # run xvncviewer in.
    > # Example: $getDefaultFrom = "-display localhost:0"
    >
    > # $rfbwait sets the maximum time in msec to wait for vnc client viewer.

    Sorry for not being more specific - the file is called xstartup and it
    it is in the .vnc folder which is in your home folder.

  9. Re: vncserver configuration

    "Ian Pawson" wrote in message
> [...]

    >> # Example: $depth = "16";
    >> # $pixelformat = "rgb565";
    >>
    >> # $getDefaultFrom sets the display from which you can query the default
    >> of
    >> # the above three options, if you don't want to start
    >> vncserver
    >> # from within a running X server. It will be added to
    >> the call
    >> # of xdpyinfo.
    >> # It is useful to get the default from the X server you
    >> will
    >> # run xvncviewer in.
    >> # Example: $getDefaultFrom = "-display localhost:0"
    >>
    >> # $rfbwait sets the maximum time in msec to wait for vnc client viewer.
    >> # $rfbwait = "120000";
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > Sorry for not being more specific - the file is called xstartup and it
    > it is in the .vnc folder which is in your home folder.

    Hi - here are the contents of xstartup. From what I can tell, there is
    nothing that I can uncomment. I am assuming the comments start with "#".

    #!/bin/sh

    xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
    xsetroot -solid grey
    x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
    x-window-manager &

    I tried ssh'ing into the machine, doing a "vncserver :2", and then a
    "~/xstartup" and got this:
    xrdb: Can't open display ''
    xsetroot: unable to open display ''

    (gnome-terminal:6789): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
    Window manager error: Unable to open X display

    I appreciate your help.

  10. Re: vncserver configuration

    Daniel wrote:

> [...]
    >>> # $rfbwait = "120000";
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> Sorry for not being more specific - the file is called xstartup and it
    >> it is in the .vnc folder which is in your home folder.

    > Hi - here are the contents of xstartup. From what I can tell, there is
    > nothing that I can uncomment. I am assuming the comments start with "#".
    >
    > #!/bin/sh
    >
    > xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
    > xsetroot -solid grey
    > x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP
    > Desktop" &
    > x-window-manager &
    >
    > I tried ssh'ing into the machine, doing a "vncserver :2", and then a
    > "~/xstartup" and got this:
    > xrdb: Can't open display ''
    > xsetroot: unable to open display ''
    >
    > (gnome-terminal:6789): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
    > Window manager error: Unable to open X display

    My xstartup is:-
    #!/bin/sh

    # Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
    unset SESSION_MANAGER
    exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

    [ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
    [ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
    xsetroot -solid grey
    vncconfig -iconic &
    xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
    twm &

  11. Re: vncserver configuration

    "Ian Pawson" wrote in message
    > Daniel wrote:
    >>
    >> "Ian Pawson" wrote in message

    >>> Sorry for not being more specific - the file is called xstartup and it
    >>> it is in the .vnc folder which is in your home folder.

    >> Hi - here are the contents of xstartup. From what I can tell, there is
    >> nothing that I can uncomment. I am assuming the comments start with "#".
    >>
    >> #!/bin/sh
    >>
    >> xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
    >> xsetroot -solid grey
    >> x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP
    >> Desktop" &
    >> x-window-manager &
    >>
    >> I tried ssh'ing into the machine, doing a "vncserver :2", and then a
    >> "~/xstartup" and got this:
    >> xrdb: Can't open display ''
    >> xsetroot: unable to open display ''
    >>
    >> (gnome-terminal:6789): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
    >> Window manager error: Unable to open X display
    >>

    >> I appreciate your help.
    >>

    > My xstartup is:-
    > #!/bin/sh
    >
    > # Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
    > unset SESSION_MANAGER
    > exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
    >
    > [ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
    > [ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
    > xsetroot -solid grey
    > vncconfig -iconic &
    > xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
    > twm &

    I put the two lines into xstartup, and I am still getting a graying screen
    with a X cursor.

    I tried to manually call the two commands you sent and I got a permissions
    issue. It seems that xinitrc has a permissions issue. I am sending you some
    steps I did via ssh:

    daniel@mypenguin:~$ vncserver :3

    New 'X' desktop is mypenguin:3

    Starting applications specified in /home/daniel/.vnc/xstartup
    Log file is /home/daniel/.vnc/mypenguin:3.log

    daniel@mypenguin:~$ cat .vnc/xstartup
    #!/bin/sh

    # Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
    unset SESSION_MANAGER
    exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

    xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
    xsetroot -solid grey
    x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
    x-window-manager &
    daniel@mypenguin:~$ unset SESSION_MANAGER
    daniel@mypenguin:~$ exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
    -bash: /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc: Permission denied
    -bash: exec: /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc: cannot execute: Success
    daniel@mypenguin:~$ ls -la /etc/X11/xinit
    total 20
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2007-10-15 19:23 .
    drwxr-xr-x 11 root root 4096 2008-04-10 18:18 ..
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 224 2006-08-07 15:01 xinitrc
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-10-15 19:30 xinput.d
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 53 2006-08-07 15:01 xserverrc
    daniel@mypenguin:~$ sudo exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
    [sudo] password for daniel:
    sudo: exec: command not found

  12. Re: vncserver configuration

    "Daniel" wrote in message

    > "Ian Pawson" wrote in message
    >> Daniel wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Ian Pawson" wrote in message

    >>> Hi - here are the contents of xstartup. From what I can tell, there is
    >>> nothing that I can uncomment. I am assuming the comments start with "#".
    >>>
    >>> #!/bin/sh
    >>>
    >>> xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
    >>> xsetroot -solid grey
    >>> x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP
    >>> Desktop" &
    >>> x-window-manager &
    >>>
    >>> I tried ssh'ing into the machine, doing a "vncserver :2", and then a
    >>> "~/xstartup" and got this:
    >>> xrdb: Can't open display ''
    >>> xsetroot: unable to open display ''
    >>>
    >>> (gnome-terminal:6789): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
    >>> Window manager error: Unable to open X display
    >>>

    >>> I appreciate your help.
    >>>

    >> My xstartup is:-
    >> #!/bin/sh
    >>
    >> # Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
    >> unset SESSION_MANAGER
    >> exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
    >>
    >> [ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
    >> [ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
    >> xsetroot -solid grey
    >> vncconfig -iconic &
    >> xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
    >> twm &

    > I put the two lines into xstartup, and I am still getting a graying screen
    > with a X cursor.
    >
    > I tried to manually call the two commands you sent and I got a permissions
    > issue. It seems that xinitrc has a permissions issue. I am sending you
    > some steps I did via ssh:
    >
    > daniel@mypenguin:~$ vncserver :3
    >
    > New 'X' desktop is mypenguin:3
    >
    > Starting applications specified in /home/daniel/.vnc/xstartup
    > Log file is /home/daniel/.vnc/mypenguin:3.log
    >
    > daniel@mypenguin:~$ cat .vnc/xstartup
    > #!/bin/sh
    >

    > # Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
    > unset SESSION_MANAGER
    > exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
    >

    > xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
    > xsetroot -solid grey
    > x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop"
    > &
    > x-window-manager &
    > daniel@mypenguin:~$ unset SESSION_MANAGER
    > daniel@mypenguin:~$ exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
    > -bash: /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc: Permission denied
    > -bash: exec: /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc: cannot execute: Success
    > daniel@mypenguin:~$ ls -la /etc/X11/xinit
    > total 20
    > drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2007-10-15 19:23 .
    > drwxr-xr-x 11 root root 4096 2008-04-10 18:18 ..
    > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 224 2006-08-07 15:01 xinitrc
    > drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-10-15 19:30 xinput.d
    > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 53 2006-08-07 15:01 xserverrc
    > daniel@mypenguin:~$ sudo exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
    > [sudo] password for daniel:
    > sudo: exec: command not found

    I think I have solved this by adding one line to the xstartup file:
    gnome-session &

    I noticed that having "unset SESSION_MANAGER" and "exec
    /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc" needed to be removed or commented it out for this to
    work.

    For those wanting to see the full file (see last entry):

    daniel@mypenguin:~$ cat /home/daniel/.vnc/xstartup
    #!/bin/sh

    # Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
    #unset SESSION_MANAGER
    #exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

    xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
    xsetroot -solid grey
    x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
    #x-window-manager &

    # Added by dan
    gnome-session &

    Thanks all for your help!

  13. Re: vncserver configuration

    > I think I have solved this by adding one line to the xstartup file:
    > gnome-session &
    >
    > I noticed that having "unset SESSION_MANAGER" and "exec
    > /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc" needed to be removed or commented it out for
    > this to work.
    >
    > For those wanting to see the full file (see last entry):
    >
    > daniel@mypenguin:~$ cat /home/daniel/.vnc/xstartup
    > #!/bin/sh
    >

    > # Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
    > #unset SESSION_MANAGER
    > #exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
    >

    > xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
    > xsetroot -solid grey
    > x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP
    > Desktop" &
    > #x-window-manager &
    >
    > # Added by dan
    > gnome-session &
    >

    > Thanks all for your help!

    Glad that you got it to work. Personally I only use vnc on my local
    network. For external access I use the nx server from nomachine with
    certificate security.

+ Reply to Thread