Java on 8.04 not working - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Java on 8.04 not working - Ubuntu ; There are a lot of bug reports for Java problems in 8.04, all offering various solutions, none of which have worked for me. Does anyone know if there is a definitive answer on this subject, i.e. does Java work on ...

  1. Java on 8.04 not working

    There are a lot of bug reports for Java problems in 8.04, all offering
    various solutions, none of which have worked for me.

    Does anyone know if there is a definitive answer on this subject, i.e. does
    Java work on 8.04, and if so what version.

    If it doesn't, does anyone have an answer. It's getting dangerously close to
    the official release date, and I would have thought that these problems
    would have been cleared up by now.

  2. Re: Java on 8.04 not working

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 12:59:10 +0100, Euclid wrote:

    > There are a lot of bug reports for Java problems in 8.04, all offering
    > various solutions, none of which have worked for me.
    >
    > Does anyone know if there is a definitive answer on this subject, i.e.
    > does Java work on 8.04, and if so what version.
    >
    > If it doesn't, does anyone have an answer. It's getting dangerously
    > close to the official release date, and I would have thought that these
    > problems would have been cleared up by now.

    Witch browser do you use? Have you made a ls -s link to your plugins
    browsers.Here it works fine
    Gaetan

  3. Re: Java on 8.04 not working

    Gaetan Van Pestel illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 12:59:10 +0100, Euclid wrote:
    >
    >> There are a lot of bug reports for Java problems in 8.04, all offering
    >> various solutions, none of which have worked for me.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know if there is a definitive answer on this subject, i.e.
    >> does Java work on 8.04, and if so what version.
    >>
    >> If it doesn't, does anyone have an answer. It's getting dangerously
    >> close to the official release date, and I would have thought that these
    >> problems would have been cleared up by now.

    > Witch browser do you use? Have you made a ls -s link to your plugins
    > browsers.Here it works fine

    I've installed all java packages from the repositories and am
    currently using firefox 3.

    I have no problems with it here.

    The java packages I have installed are
    sun-java6-bin
    sun-java6-fonts
    sun-java6-jre
    sun-java6-plugin

    At a guess, I'd say the "plugin" one may me missing from Euclids
    installation.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  4. Re: Java on 8.04 not working

    "Moog" wrote in message
    > Gaetan Van Pestel illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 12:59:10 +0100, Euclid wrote:
    >>

    >> Witch browser do you use?

    I use Firefox 3. Java apps do not work either, so it's not just a plugin
    issue. It's not only me as the big reports are on a big list

  5. Re: Java on 8.04 not working

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 13:40:20 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > Gaetan Van Pestel illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 12:59:10 +0100, Euclid wrote:
    >>
    >>> There are a lot of bug reports for Java problems in 8.04, all offering
    >>> various solutions, none of which have worked for me.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know if there is a definitive answer on this subject, i.e.
    >>> does Java work on 8.04, and if so what version.
    >>>
    >>> If it doesn't, does anyone have an answer. It's getting dangerously
    >>> close to the official release date, and I would have thought that
    >>> these problems would have been cleared up by now.

    >> Witch browser do you use? Have you made a ls -s link to your plugins
    >> browsers.Here it works fine

    > I've installed all java packages from the repositories and am currently
    > using firefox 3.
    >
    > I have no problems with it here.
    >
    > The java packages I have installed are sun-java6-bin
    > sun-java6-fonts
    > sun-java6-jre
    > sun-java6-plugin
    >
    > At a guess, I'd say the "plugin" one may me missing from Euclids
    > installation.

    I did the same Moog, also no problems
    Gaetan

  6. Re: Java on 8.04 not working

    Euclid wrote:
    > "Moog" wrote in message
    >> Gaetan Van Pestel illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 12:59:10 +0100, Euclid wrote:
    >>>

    >>> Witch browser do you use?

    > I use Firefox 3. Java apps do not work either, so it's not just a plugin
    > issue. It's not only me as the big reports are on a big list

    Trying to use the BT digital vault (a java app) kills Firefox b5 - it
    just goes away and generates a crash report.

+ Reply to Thread