How do I get rid of all traces of Ubuntu? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on How do I get rid of all traces of Ubuntu? - Ubuntu ; I've got two hard drives. The second hard drive has two Windows XP partitions. I put 6.10 on the first drive and grub let me boot either 6.10 or the second hard drive and the Windows boot loader would come ...

  1. How do I get rid of all traces of Ubuntu?

    I've got two hard drives. The second hard drive has two Windows XP
    partitions. I put 6.10 on the first drive and grub let me boot either
    6.10 or the second hard drive and the Windows boot loader would come up
    and let me pick one of my XP partitions to boot.

    When 7.04 came out, I wanted to wipe out 6.10 and install 7.04, so I
    booted into one of my XP partitions and deleted the 6.10 partition.

    I then booted the 7.04 live disk and installed 7.04 on the second hard
    drive, telling it to use half the drive space for the 7.04 partition.
    Everything went fine, but when grub booted after the 7.04 installation,
    it still showed my 6.10 installation as a boot option.

    What I want to do is remove all traces of all my Ubuntu installations
    on my first hard drive and then when 8.04 is released in a week or so,
    I want to install it on my first hard drive like I did with 7.04 with
    the option to boot my XP partitions, but I don't want grub to have a
    clue about the previous installations of 7.04 or 6.10.

    I don't want to do an upgrade from 7.04 as I set that up simply to
    become comfortable with Ubuntu prior to making it my primary OS.

    Thanks,

    Bob

  2. Re: How do I get rid of all traces of Ubuntu?

    On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 22:06:09 -0500, Bob wrote:

    > I've got two hard drives. The second hard drive has two Windows XP
    > partitions. I put 6.10 on the first drive and grub let me boot either
    > 6.10 or the second hard drive and the Windows boot loader would come up
    > and let me pick one of my XP partitions to boot.
    >
    > When 7.04 came out, I wanted to wipe out 6.10 and install 7.04, so I
    > booted into one of my XP partitions and deleted the 6.10 partition.
    >
    > I then booted the 7.04 live disk and installed 7.04 on the second hard
    > drive, telling it to use half the drive space for the 7.04 partition.
    > Everything went fine, but when grub booted after the 7.04 installation,
    > it still showed my 6.10 installation as a boot option.
    >
    > What I want to do is remove all traces of all my Ubuntu installations on
    > my first hard drive and then when 8.04 is released in a week or so, I
    > want to install it on my first hard drive like I did with 7.04 with the
    > option to boot my XP partitions, but I don't want grub to have a clue
    > about the previous installations of 7.04 or 6.10.
    >
    > I don't want to do an upgrade from 7.04 as I set that up simply to
    > become comfortable with Ubuntu prior to making it my primary OS.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bob

    Just wait until you install the new 8.04 and select manual setup for the
    drives (formatting) and tell it to format everything on the first drive
    and install 8.04 there and to format the Ubuntu partitions on the second
    drive (as ext3). You can use GParted to do something with the unused
    partitions on the second drive later but they won't show up in grub after
    being formatted.

    May I suggest that while manually formatting and installing on the first
    drive that you select a /home partition, a /partition and a swap
    partition. This way the next time you want to install a new version you
    won't have to lose your data files.

  3. Re: How do I get rid of all traces of Ubuntu?

    On 2008-04-12, David 01 hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 22:06:09 -0500, Bob wrote:
    >
    >> I've got two hard drives. The second hard drive has two Windows XP
    >> partitions. I put 6.10 on the first drive and grub let me boot either
    >> 6.10 or the second hard drive and the Windows boot loader would come up
    >> and let me pick one of my XP partitions to boot.
    >>
    >> When 7.04 came out, I wanted to wipe out 6.10 and install 7.04, so I
    >> booted into one of my XP partitions and deleted the 6.10 partition.
    >>
    >> I then booted the 7.04 live disk and installed 7.04 on the second hard
    >> drive, telling it to use half the drive space for the 7.04 partition.
    >> Everything went fine, but when grub booted after the 7.04 installation,
    >> it still showed my 6.10 installation as a boot option.
    >>
    >> What I want to do is remove all traces of all my Ubuntu installations on
    >> my first hard drive and then when 8.04 is released in a week or so, I
    >> want to install it on my first hard drive like I did with 7.04 with the
    >> option to boot my XP partitions, but I don't want grub to have a clue
    >> about the previous installations of 7.04 or 6.10.
    >>
    >> I don't want to do an upgrade from 7.04 as I set that up simply to
    >> become comfortable with Ubuntu prior to making it my primary OS.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Bob

    > Just wait until you install the new 8.04 and select manual setup for the
    > drives (formatting) and tell it to format everything on the first drive
    > and install 8.04 there and to format the Ubuntu partitions on the second
    > drive (as ext3). You can use GParted to do something with the unused
    > partitions on the second drive later but they won't show up in grub after
    > being formatted.

    Yes, but the OP has the trouble that "grub" from 6.10 is
    still installed in the MRB of (most likely) his /dev/hda.

    Bob. you need to rewrite it, so either you use some M§ tool
    for that, or at installation time make sure that you choose
    the correct destination. On the other hand, one can still
    simply edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst to reflect the changes.

    > May I suggest that while manually formatting and installing on the first
    > drive that you select a /home partition, a /partition and a swap
    > partition. This way the next time you want to install a new version you
    > won't have to lose your data files.

    I'd even suggest to use different drive for /home, and get into the
    habit of backing it up....

    Dragomir Kollaric

  4. Re: How do I get rid of all traces of Ubuntu?

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 07:42:07 +0000, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    > On 2008-04-12, David 01 hit the keyboard and wrote:

    >> Just wait until you install the new 8.04 and select manual setup for
    >> the drives (formatting) and tell it to format everything on the first
    >> drive and install 8.04 there and to format the Ubuntu partitions on the
    >> second drive (as ext3). You can use GParted to do something with the
    >> unused partitions on the second drive later but they won't show up in
    >> grub after being formatted.

    > Yes, but the OP has the trouble that "grub" from 6.10 is still
    > installed in the MRB of (most likely) his /dev/hda.
    >
    > Bob. you need to rewrite it, so either you use some M§ tool for that, or
    > at installation time make sure that you choose the correct
    > destination. On the other hand, one can still simply edit the
    > /boot/grub/menu.lst to reflect the changes.
    >

    >> May I suggest that while manually formatting and installing on the
    >> first drive that you select a /home partition, a /partition and a swap
    >> partition. This way the next time you want to install a new version you
    >> won't have to lose your data files.

    > I'd even suggest to use different drive for /home, and get into the
    > habit of backing it up....
    >

    > Dragomir Kollaric

    If he or you do as I say, Ubuntu will rewrite "grub" correctly. Try it. I
    have. I would also specifically suggest that /home is on the same drive
    as Ubuntu in the interest of organization, speed and sanity. A separate
    drive can fail just as easily as your main drive. Wouldn't you feel
    stupid if your /home drive failed and the other didn't?

  5. Re: How do I get rid of all traces of Ubuntu?

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 12:44:43 +0000, David 01 wrote:

    > On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 07:42:07 +0000, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-04-12, David 01 hit the keyboard and wrote:

    >>> Just wait until you install the new 8.04 and select manual setup for
    >>> the drives (formatting) and tell it to format everything on the first
    >>> drive and install 8.04 there and to format the Ubuntu partitions on
    >>> the second drive (as ext3). You can use GParted to do something with
    >>> the unused partitions on the second drive later but they won't show up
    >>> in grub after being formatted.

    >> Yes, but the OP has the trouble that "grub" from 6.10 is still
    >> installed in the MRB of (most likely) his /dev/hda.
    >>
    >> Bob. you need to rewrite it, so either you use some M§ tool for that,
    >> or at installation time make sure that you choose the correct
    >> destination. On the other hand, one can still simply edit the
    >> /boot/grub/menu.lst to reflect the changes.
    >>

    >>> May I suggest that while manually formatting and installing on the
    >>> first drive that you select a /home partition, a /partition and a swap
    >>> partition. This way the next time you want to install a new version
    >>> you won't have to lose your data files.

    >> I'd even suggest to use different drive for /home, and get into the
    >> habit of backing it up....
    >>

    >> Dragomir Kollaric

    > If he or you do as I say, Ubuntu will rewrite "grub" correctly.

    I think the installer will still make a grub menu entry for the systems
    he already has installed. When that happens, he can come back here and
    we can tell him how easy it is to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst

    > Try it.
    > I have. I would also specifically suggest that /home is on the same
    > drive as Ubuntu in the interest of organization, speed and sanity.

    One reason to put /home on a different partition is to organize.

    > separate drive can fail just as easily as your main drive. Wouldn't you
    > feel stupid if your /home drive failed and the other didn't?

    No, if my home drive had problems, and my / drive did not, then there is
    a chance that using tools on / I could maybe repair /home or recover some
    data. If my / has problems then I don't loose my /home data, and a
    system re-install on a new / drive is easier.
    stonerfish

  6. Re: How do I get rid of all traces of Ubuntu?

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 17:59:25 +0000, jellybean stonerfish wrote:

    > On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 12:44:43 +0000, David 01 wrote:

    >>> Yes, but the OP has the trouble that "grub" from 6.10 is still
    >>> installed in the MRB of (most likely) his /dev/hda.
    >>>
    >>> Bob. you need to rewrite it, so either you use some M§ tool for that,
    >>> or at installation time make sure that you choose the correct
    >>> destination. On the other hand, one can still simply edit the
    >>> /boot/grub/menu.lst to reflect the changes.

    >>> I'd even suggest to use different drive for /home, and get into the
    >>> habit of backing it up....
    >>>

    >>> Dragomir Kollaric

    >> If he or you do as I say, Ubuntu will rewrite "grub" correctly.

    > I think the installer will still make a grub menu entry for the systems
    > he already has installed. When that happens, he can come back here and
    > we can tell him how easy it is to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst

    If you format those partitions, they're not installed anymore. Get it?
    Grub won't be able to find anything to make an entry for where the
    partitions have been removed or formatted and nothing new put into them.
    The key word here is "think". You think and I have recently done this
    more than once. I was only trying to help the person with the original
    query with my experience not thoughts. All these thinking people confuse
    people who ask for help. Let the ones with experience on the matter
    answer instead of the great thinkers. I don't have experience with
    everything but some things I do and real experience (especially recent
    multiple experiences) beats "thinking" anytime.

    >> Try it.
    >> I have. I would also specifically suggest that /home is on the same
    >> drive as Ubuntu in the interest of organization, speed and sanity.

    > One reason to put /home on a different partition is to organize.

    I certainly agree with that. I promoted that in my first reply.

    >> separate drive can fail just as easily as your main drive. Wouldn't you
    >> feel stupid if your /home drive failed and the other didn't?

    > No, if my home drive had problems, and my / drive did not, then there is
    > a chance that using tools on / I could maybe repair /home or recover
    > some data. If my / has problems then I don't loose my /home data, and a
    > system re-install on a new / drive is easier. stonerfish

    You could simply put in another drive for the / and put Ubuntu on it in
    the unlikely event you do have a drive failure. I had Ubuntu and Windoze
    crossmixed over 2 drives and just recently corrected that mess. I ALSO
    HAD A GRUB MESS FAR WORSE THAN THE ORIGINAL QUESTIONER DESCRIBED AND
    FIXED IT. (AS I SAID, YOU THINK, I KNOW BECAUSE I DID IT). The
    practicality and simplicity of 1 drive for Ubuntu and 1 for Windows if
    you have 2 drives can really not be argued, but some people have no other
    joy in their lives but jump in and try to confuse people by spreading
    their own confusion. It's no wonder a lot of people flee from linux. They
    ask for help and and anyone who really tries gets attacked if the asker
    doesn't himself

    You were wrong when you jumped in just to argue rather than to try to
    share experience.

  7. Re: How do I get rid of all traces of Ubuntu?

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 20:27:19 +0000, David 01 wrote:

    > If you format those partitions, they're not installed anymore. Get it?
    > Grub won't be able to find anything to make an entry for where the
    > partitions have been removed or formatted and nothing new put into them.
    > The key word here is "think". You think and I have recently done this
    > more than once. I was only trying to help the person with the original
    > query with my experience not thoughts. All these thinking people confuse
    > people who ask for help. Let the ones with experience on the matter
    > answer instead of the great thinkers. I don't have experience with
    > everything but some things I do and real experience (especially recent
    > multiple experiences) beats "thinking" anytime.

    I misread/misunderstood the OP and thought he wanted to keep some of his
    installs on the second disk, and have the new install ignore them. Me
    bad.

  8. Re: How do I get rid of all traces of Ubuntu?

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 20:27:19 +0000, David 01 wrote:

    > You could simply put in another drive for the / and put Ubuntu on it in
    > the unlikely event you do have a drive failure. I had Ubuntu and Windoze
    > crossmixed over 2 drives and just recently corrected that mess. I ALSO
    > HAD A GRUB MESS FAR WORSE THAN THE ORIGINAL QUESTIONER DESCRIBED AND
    > FIXED IT. (AS I SAID, YOU THINK, I KNOW BECAUSE I DID IT). The
    > practicality and simplicity of 1 drive for Ubuntu and 1 for Windows if
    > you have 2 drives can really not be argued, but some people have no
    > other joy in their lives but jump in and try to confuse people by
    > spreading their own confusion. It's no wonder a lot of people flee from
    > linux. They ask for help and and anyone who really tries gets attacked
    > if the asker doesn't himself
    >
    > You were wrong when you jumped in just to argue rather than to try to
    > share experience.

    Uh, it looks like you are trying to argue. I pointed out that using
    separate drives or partitions for user data and system data is a good
    idea. If you want to argue, we should go over to the dansgaurdian thread
    that sane usenetters have already filtered.

    sf

  9. Re: How do I get rid of all traces of Ubuntu?

    In article ,
    stonerfish@geocities.com says...
    > On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 20:27:19 +0000, David 01 wrote:
    >
    > > If you format those partitions, they're not installed anymore. Get it?
    > > Grub won't be able to find anything to make an entry for where the
    > > partitions have been removed or formatted and nothing new put into them.
    > > The key word here is "think". You think and I have recently done this
    > > more than once. I was only trying to help the person with the original
    > > query with my experience not thoughts. All these thinking people confuse
    > > people who ask for help. Let the ones with experience on the matter
    > > answer instead of the great thinkers. I don't have experience with
    > > everything but some things I do and real experience (especially recent
    > > multiple experiences) beats "thinking" anytime.

    > I misread/misunderstood the OP and thought he wanted to keep some of his
    > installs on the second disk, and have the new install ignore them. Me
    > bad.

    No, you are correct. I want to effectively wipe my first drive clean,
    leaving no traces of Ubuntu installs, and leave my second drive with my
    XP partitions alone, as they are needed for supporting work and for use
    by my wife who also works in a Windows environment at work and works
    frequently works from home.

    Thanks to everyone who has replied.

    Bob

  10. Re: How do I get rid of all traces of Ubuntu?

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 20:54:58 +0000, jellybean stonerfish wrote:

    > On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 20:27:19 +0000, David 01 wrote:
    >
    >> You could simply put in another drive for the / and put Ubuntu on it in
    >> the unlikely event you do have a drive failure. I had Ubuntu and
    >> Windoze crossmixed over 2 drives and just recently corrected that mess.
    >> I ALSO HAD A GRUB MESS FAR WORSE THAN THE ORIGINAL QUESTIONER DESCRIBED
    >> AND FIXED IT. (AS I SAID, YOU THINK, I KNOW BECAUSE I DID IT). The
    >> practicality and simplicity of 1 drive for Ubuntu and 1 for Windows if
    >> you have 2 drives can really not be argued, but some people have no
    >> other joy in their lives but jump in and try to confuse people by
    >> spreading their own confusion. It's no wonder a lot of people flee from
    >> linux. They ask for help and and anyone who really tries gets attacked
    >> if the asker doesn't himself
    >>
    >> You were wrong when you jumped in just to argue rather than to try to
    >> share experience.

    > Uh, it looks like you are trying to argue. I pointed out that using
    > separate drives or partitions for user data and system data is a good
    > idea. If you want to argue, we should go over to the dansgaurdian
    > thread that sane usenetters have already filtered.
    >
    > sf

    You jumped in just to argue. I gave the correct answer to the query in my
    first post and it's still the correct answer at the end. Stating fact not
    fiction is not arguing. Stating BS against fact like you have is stupid
    and arguing. Now you've come back to argue again. You've added nothing
    positive to the thread. Go play with yourself and leave other people
    alone. The other user's problem was solved in the first reply (mine).
    Your problem(s) will probably take longer.

  11. Re: How do I get rid of all traces of Ubuntu?

    In article ,
    ifiwantspam@illask.org says...
    > On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 20:54:58 +0000, jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    >
    > > On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 20:27:19 +0000, David 01 wrote:
    > >
    > >> You could simply put in another drive for the / and put Ubuntu on it in
    > >> the unlikely event you do have a drive failure. I had Ubuntu and
    > >> Windoze crossmixed over 2 drives and just recently corrected that mess.
    > >> I ALSO HAD A GRUB MESS FAR WORSE THAN THE ORIGINAL QUESTIONER DESCRIBED
    > >> AND FIXED IT. (AS I SAID, YOU THINK, I KNOW BECAUSE I DID IT). The
    > >> practicality and simplicity of 1 drive for Ubuntu and 1 for Windows if
    > >> you have 2 drives can really not be argued, but some people have no
    > >> other joy in their lives but jump in and try to confuse people by
    > >> spreading their own confusion. It's no wonder a lot of people flee from
    > >> linux. They ask for help and and anyone who really tries gets attacked
    > >> if the asker doesn't himself
    > >>
    > >> You were wrong when you jumped in just to argue rather than to try to
    > >> share experience.

    > > Uh, it looks like you are trying to argue. I pointed out that using
    > > separate drives or partitions for user data and system data is a good
    > > idea. If you want to argue, we should go over to the dansgaurdian
    > > thread that sane usenetters have already filtered.
    > >
    > > sf

    > You jumped in just to argue. I gave the correct answer to the query in my
    > first post and it's still the correct answer at the end. Stating fact not
    > fiction is not arguing. Stating BS against fact like you have is stupid
    > and arguing. Now you've come back to argue again. You've added nothing
    > positive to the thread. Go play with yourself and leave other people
    > alone. The other user's problem was solved in the first reply (mine).
    > Your problem(s) will probably take longer.

    Thanks to everyone. I know what I need to do when HH is released.

    Bob

+ Reply to Thread