Good graphics card for 1440x900 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Good graphics card for 1440x900 - Ubuntu ; Hello Looking for a cheap PCI [non PCI-E) video card that supports 1440x900 I'm running 7.10 on a machine with an Intel 865G card. Been thru all the modeline & 915resolution modes but it's never produced a perfectly clear image. ...

  1. Good graphics card for 1440x900

    Hello

    Looking for a cheap PCI [non PCI-E) video card that supports 1440x900

    I'm running 7.10 on a machine with an Intel 865G card. Been thru all the
    modeline & 915resolution modes but it's never produced a perfectly clear
    image. Thought it might be easier just to look for a cheap card that has
    good Linux driver support

    Thanks for any suggestions

    Bob

  2. Re: Good graphics card for 1440x900

    > Looking for a cheap PCI [non PCI-E) video card that supports 1440x900

    I like Nvidia's driver. You only need to that file and it would compile
    driver for your kernel and modify the Xorg config files.

    You might consider a 8600GT if not 9600GT should you wanna play games.

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.10) Linux 2.6.24.4

  3. Re: Good graphics card for 1440x900

    On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 07:38:53 -0400, W4NNG wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > Looking for a cheap PCI [non PCI-E) video card that supports 1440x900
    >
    > I'm running 7.10 on a machine with an Intel 865G card. Been thru all
    > the modeline & 915resolution modes but it's never produced a perfectly
    > clear image. Thought it might be easier just to look for a cheap card
    > that has good Linux driver support
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions
    >
    > Bob

    1) I can't find any cheap video cards these days.
    2) I successfully run 1440x900 on my mini-itx and cheapie Everex (from
    walmart) computer. They both use VIA integrated chipsets.
    3) I've not yet tried, but I'm pretty damned sure it will work on the gOS
    PC2500 VIA motherboard from ClubIT.com. The motherboard with VIA C7 1.5ghz
    CPU is $60. I also got 2gb ram for $50 plus $25 rebate. So, for $85 you
    could replace the motherboard/cpu and have 2gb ram.

  4. Re: Good graphics card for 1440x900

    On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 20:37:22 +0800, Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:

    >> Looking for a cheap PCI [non PCI-E) video card that supports 1440x900

    > You might consider a 8600GT if not 9600GT should you wanna play games.

    He said "cheap", and he said "PCI". Those cards don't fit either
    criteria.

    Any cheap PCI card will do the requested resolution, given the proper
    setup in xorg.conf.

  5. Re: Good graphics card for 1440x900

    On 2008-04-11, Dan C wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 20:37:22 +0800, Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:
    >
    >>> Looking for a cheap PCI [non PCI-E) video card that supports 1440x900

    >> You might consider a 8600GT if not 9600GT should you wanna play games.

    > He said "cheap", and he said "PCI". Those cards don't fit either
    > criteria.
    >
    > Any cheap PCI card will do the requested resolution, given the proper
    > setup in xorg.conf.

    Matrox used to be "the name" for Linux video cards. They may still be
    available.

  6. Re: Good graphics card for 1440x900

    On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 07:38:53 -0400, W4NNG wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > Looking for a cheap PCI [non PCI-E) video card that supports 1440x900
    >
    > I'm running 7.10 on a machine with an Intel 865G card. Been thru all the
    > modeline & 915resolution modes but it's never produced a perfectly clear
    > image. Thought it might be easier just to look for a cheap card that has
    > good Linux driver support
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions
    >
    > Bob

    What is the native resolution of your monitor? Chances are the
    865 graphics are as good or better than a cheap PCI card. I don't know if
    NVidia makes a PCI 8500 card but I have the PCIe version and with the NV
    restricted driver thing are crystal clear at 1680x1050.

  7. Re: Good graphics card for 1440x900

    The native monitor resolution is 1440 X 900

    Since this email I did get it working after a fashion. The 915resoltion
    tweak didn't work and when ever I tried add a new 1440x900 modeline it would
    kill all the xorg changes and drop the system to default resolutions.

    What did work
    Took the 1440x1050 modeline the was in xorg file and slowly changed it until
    it worked. None of the numbers where the same as anything thing I had
    found on the internet. I'll post them, if anyone needs them. Monitor is
    an Envision 19"

    Still like to get a PCI card with native support. Once you see it your
    monitor running at it's native res it would be nice to have it work that way
    when I boot to windows

    "Meat Plow" wrote in message
    On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 07:38:53 -0400, W4NNG wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > Looking for a cheap PCI [non PCI-E) video card that supports 1440x900
    >
    > I'm running 7.10 on a machine with an Intel 865G card. Been thru all the
    > modeline & 915resolution modes but it's never produced a perfectly clear
    > image. Thought it might be easier just to look for a cheap card that has
    > good Linux driver support
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions
    >
    > Bob

    What is the native resolution of your monitor? Chances are the
    865 graphics are as good or better than a cheap PCI card. I don't know if
    NVidia makes a PCI 8500 card but I have the PCIe version and with the NV
    restricted driver thing are crystal clear at 1680x1050.

+ Reply to Thread