SCSI scanner - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on SCSI scanner - Ubuntu ; Hi all, I recently installed Ubuntu, version 7.10. It looks very nice and I am pleasantly surprised. It should be perfect when I would be able to use my SCSI scanner. The scanner is an Epson 1200S, connected to an ...

  1. SCSI scanner

    Hi all,

    I recently installed Ubuntu, version 7.10. It looks very nice and I am
    pleasantly surprised. It should be perfect when I would be able to use
    my SCSI scanner. The scanner is an Epson 1200S, connected to an Adaptec
    card type 2910B. Under Windows XP it works very well, but how do I get
    it to work under Linux?

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    With regards,
    Fokke Nauta

  2. Re: SCSI scanner

    Fokke Nauta wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I recently installed Ubuntu, version 7.10. It looks very nice and I am
    > pleasantly surprised. It should be perfect when I would be able to use
    > my SCSI scanner. The scanner is an Epson 1200S, connected to an Adaptec
    > card type 2910B. Under Windows XP it works very well, but how do I get
    > it to work under Linux?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.
    >
    > With regards,
    > Fokke Nauta

    I have no experience with your particular scanner, but I would be very
    surprised if it is not supported by either sane-epson backend or the
    sane-epson2 backend. Most SCSI scanners have been on the marked for some
    time... And if you look at:
    http://www.sane-project.org/lists/sa...s.html#Z-EPSON
    almost all Epson SCSI scanners are supported... And the Epson Perfection
    1200S is supported by both the epson and epson2 backends.

    Some time ago you had to manually load the 'sg' module for some SCSI
    scanners, and then it should work after installing the sane packages. I
    don't know if you still have to load the 'sg' module manually in your
    Ubuntu.

    But try the following commands:
    sudo modprobe sg
    sudo apt-get install sane-utils
    sudo sane-find-scanner

    And if this works, add the line: sg to your /etc/modules.

    --
    Best regards Jacob Tranholm
    Karl R. Popper: Observation statements and statements of experimental

  3. Re: SCSI scanner

    "Jacob Tranholm" wrote in message
    > Fokke Nauta wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I recently installed Ubuntu, version 7.10. It looks very nice and I am
    >> pleasantly surprised. It should be perfect when I would be able to use my
    >> SCSI scanner. The scanner is an Epson 1200S, connected to an Adaptec card
    >> type 2910B. Under Windows XP it works very well, but how do I get it to
    >> work under Linux?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for your help.
    >>
    >> With regards,
    >> Fokke Nauta

    > I have no experience with your particular scanner, but I would be very
    > surprised if it is not supported by either sane-epson backend or the
    > sane-epson2 backend. Most SCSI scanners have been on the marked for some
    > time... And if you look at:
    > http://www.sane-project.org/lists/sa...s.html#Z-EPSON
    > almost all Epson SCSI scanners are supported... And the Epson Perfection
    > 1200S is supported by both the epson and epson2 backends.
    >
    > Some time ago you had to manually load the 'sg' module for some SCSI
    > scanners, and then it should work after installing the sane packages. I
    > don't know if you still have to load the 'sg' module manually in your
    > Ubuntu.
    >
    > But try the following commands:
    > sudo modprobe sg
    > sudo apt-get install sane-utils
    > sudo sane-find-scanner
    >
    > And if this works, add the line: sg to your /etc/modules.
    >
    > --
    > Best regards Jacob Tranholm
    > Karl R. Popper: Observation statements and statements of experimental
    > results are always interpretations of the facts observed.

    Thanks, Jacob, for your quick reply.
    I will give this a try.

    Best regards,
    Fokke

  4. Re: SCSI scanner

    Jacob Tranholm wrote:
    > Fokke Nauta wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I recently installed Ubuntu, version 7.10. It looks very nice and I am
    >> pleasantly surprised. It should be perfect when I would be able to use
    >> my SCSI scanner. The scanner is an Epson 1200S, connected to an
    >> Adaptec card type 2910B. Under Windows XP it works very well, but how
    >> do I get it to work under Linux?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for your help.
    >>
    >> With regards,
    >> Fokke Nauta

    > I have no experience with your particular scanner, but I would be very
    > surprised if it is not supported by either sane-epson backend or the
    > sane-epson2 backend. Most SCSI scanners have been on the marked for some
    > time... And if you look at:
    > http://www.sane-project.org/lists/sa...s.html#Z-EPSON
    > almost all Epson SCSI scanners are supported... And the Epson Perfection
    > 1200S is supported by both the epson and epson2 backends.
    >
    > Some time ago you had to manually load the 'sg' module for some SCSI
    > scanners, and then it should work after installing the sane packages. I
    > don't know if you still have to load the 'sg' module manually in your
    > Ubuntu.
    >
    > But try the following commands:
    > sudo modprobe sg
    > sudo apt-get install sane-utils
    > sudo sane-find-scanner
    >
    > And if this works, add the line: sg to your /etc/modules.

    Hi Jacob,

    I did what you suggested and wow! It works!
    Although completely different from scanning in Windows, at least I can
    use my scanner in Linux now!

    Thanks very much.

    With best regards,
    Fokke

  5. Re: SCSI scanner

    Fokke Nauta wrote:
    > Hi Jacob,
    >
    > I did what you suggested and wow! It works!
    > Although completely different from scanning in Windows, at least I can
    > use my scanner in Linux now!
    >
    > Thanks very much.
    >
    > With best regards,
    > Fokke

    This is not scanning in general... My suggestions just tested if the
    scanner worked. Scanning is usually done by different programs like
    'xsane', which uses the sane backend.

    You can install 'xsane' using the following command:
    sudo apt-get install xsane

    PS. Remember to add the 'sg' line to your /etc/modules
    For instance using the command:
    sudo gedit /etc/modules
    This means that the 'sg' module is loaded automatic at bootup.

    --
    Best regards Jacob Tranholm
    Karl R. Popper: Observation statements and statements of experimental
    results are always interpretations of the facts observed.

  6. Re: SCSI scanner

    "Jacob Tranholm" wrote in message
    > Fokke Nauta wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I recently installed Ubuntu, version 7.10. It looks very nice and I am
    >> pleasantly surprised. It should be perfect when I would be able to use my
    >> SCSI scanner. The scanner is an Epson 1200S, connected to an Adaptec card
    >> type 2910B. Under Windows XP it works very well, but how do I get it to
    >> work under Linux?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for your help.
    >>
    >> With regards,
    >> Fokke Nauta

    > I have no experience with your particular scanner, but I would be very
    > surprised if it is not supported by either sane-epson backend or the
    > sane-epson2 backend. Most SCSI scanners have been on the marked for some
    > time... And if you look at:
    > http://www.sane-project.org/lists/sa...s.html#Z-EPSON
    > almost all Epson SCSI scanners are supported... And the Epson Perfection
    > 1200S is supported by both the epson and epson2 backends.
    >
    > Some time ago you had to manually load the 'sg' module for some SCSI
    > scanners, and then it should work after installing the sane packages. I
    > don't know if you still have to load the 'sg' module manually in your
    > Ubuntu.
    >
    > But try the following commands:
    > sudo modprobe sg
    > sudo apt-get install sane-utils
    > sudo sane-find-scanner
    >
    > And if this works, add the line: sg to your /etc/modules.
    >
    > --
    > Best regards Jacob Tranholm
    > Karl R. Popper: Observation statements and statements of experimental
    > results are always interpretations of the facts observed.

    Hi Jacob,

    I thought that I posted a reply here, but I can't see it so something went
    wrong.
    Nevertheless, what I wanted to say is that I followed your instructions and
    it worked!
    Thanks very much!

    With best regards,
    Fokke