Capturing oldvideo tapes - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Capturing oldvideo tapes - Ubuntu ; Hi all I have an older Sony camcorder with 1394 connection. I would like to capture some old tapes and transfer to my pc, so I can burn a DVD. Any one has a recommendation for "how to"? -- Jerry ...

  1. Capturing oldvideo tapes

    --
    Jerry McGuire: Help me, help you...
    :-)

  2. Re: Capturing oldvideo tapes

    Holz illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Hi all
    >
    > I have an older Sony camcorder with 1394 connection. I would like to
    > capture some old tapes and transfer to my pc, so I can burn a DVD. Any
    > one has a recommendation for "how to"?

    Hi Holz,

    Just checking through my bookmarks, I used the following as a
    troubleshooter for my 1394 JVC.

    There are a number of solutions in there, TBH, I cannot remember which
    one worked. Bloody memory!

    The software you use is down to choice. Try them and see.

    For me, Kino and avidemux where OK

    IIRC, I simply pulled in the ubuntustudio-video metapackage which
    worked a treat for Kino.

    Good luck.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  3. Re: Capturing oldvideo tapes

    On 2008-04-11, Holz wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > I have an older Sony camcorder with 1394 connection. I would like to
    > capture some old tapes and transfer to my pc, so I can burn a DVD. Any
    > one has a recommendation for "how to"?

    "Kino" should work with 1394.

  4. Re: Capturing oldvideo tapes

    On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 22:43:22 -0700, Holz wrote:

    > Hi all
    >
    > I have an older Sony camcorder with 1394 connection. I would like to
    > capture some old tapes and transfer to my pc, so I can burn a DVD. Any
    > one has a recommendation for "how to"?

    Kino to import and edit, Avidemux to turn it into an mpeg2 DVD video file
    and Varsha 0.75 DVD Author to create and burn the DVD structure.

    Ping me here if you have trouble with the 1394 and Kino.

  5. Re: Capturing oldvideo tapes

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 22:43:22 -0700, Holz wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all
    >>
    >> I have an older Sony camcorder with 1394 connection. I would like to
    >> capture some old tapes and transfer to my pc, so I can burn a DVD. Any
    >> one has a recommendation for "how to"?

    > Kino to import and edit, Avidemux to turn it into an mpeg2 DVD video file
    > and Varsha 0.75 DVD Author to create and burn the DVD structure.
    >
    > Ping me here if you have trouble with the 1394 and Kino.

    While we are on the subject my oldish digital camera only has USB. Can I
    extract its video under Linux??

    Cheers

    Ian

  6. Re: Capturing oldvideo tapes

    On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 23:06:21 +0100, Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >> On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 22:43:22 -0700, Holz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi all
    >>>
    >>> I have an older Sony camcorder with 1394 connection. I would like to
    >>> capture some old tapes and transfer to my pc, so I can burn a DVD. Any
    >>> one has a recommendation for "how to"?

    >> Kino to import and edit, Avidemux to turn it into an mpeg2 DVD video file
    >> and Varsha 0.75 DVD Author to create and burn the DVD structure.
    >>
    >> Ping me here if you have trouble with the 1394 and Kino.
    >>

    > While we are on the subject my oldish digital camera only has USB. Can I
    > extract its video under Linux??
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Ian

    Uh good question. Kino as far as I know only does 1394. OTOH Cinelerra
    does USB if I recall correctly.

    http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3

    I haven't tried it but have a look and let me know what you think.

  7. Re: Capturing oldvideo tapes

    On 11 Apr 2008 08:19:46 GMT
    Moog wrote:

    > Just checking through my bookmarks, I used the following as a
    > troubleshooter for my 1394 JVC.
    >
    > There are a number of solutions in there, TBH, I cannot remember which
    > one worked. Bloody memory!
    >
    > The software you use is down to choice. Try them and see.
    >
    > For me, Kino and avidemux where OK
    >
    > IIRC, I simply pulled in the ubuntustudio-video metapackage which
    > worked a treat for Kino.
    >
    > Good luck.

    Awesome. All is well and working.

    --
    Jerry McGuire: Help me, help you...
    :-)

  8. Re: Capturing oldvideo tapes

    Holz illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >> IIRC, I simply pulled in the ubuntustudio-video metapackage which
    >> worked a treat for Kino.
    >>
    >> Good luck.

    > Awesome. All is well and working.

    Glad to hear it.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  9. Re: Capturing oldvideo tapes

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 23:06:21 +0100, Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
    >
    >> Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> Kino to import and edit, Avidemux to turn it into an mpeg2 DVD video file
    >>> and Varsha 0.75 DVD Author to create and burn the DVD structure.
    >>>
    >>> Ping me here if you have trouble with the 1394 and Kino.
    >>>

    >> While we are on the subject my oldish digital camera only has USB. Can I
    >> extract its video under Linux??
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Ian

    > Uh good question. Kino as far as I know only does 1394. OTOH Cinelerra
    > does USB if I recall correctly.
    >
    > http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3
    >
    > I haven't tried it but have a look and let me know what you think.

    Downloading it now. I'll let you know once I've compiled it. seems there
    is no .deb package.

    Cheers

    ian

  10. Re: Capturing oldvideo tapes

    Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

    >>> While we are on the subject my oldish digital camera only has USB.
    >>> Can I extract its video under Linux??
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>>
    >>> Ian

    >> Uh good question. Kino as far as I know only does 1394. OTOH Cinelerra
    >> does USB if I recall correctly.
    >>
    >> http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3
    >>
    >> I haven't tried it but have a look and let me know what you think.
    >>

    > Downloading it now. I'll let you know once I've compiled it. seems there
    > is no .deb package.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > ian

    No joy. Running configure gives the following:

    ../configure: 11: arch: not found
    ../configure: 24: arch: not found
    [: 24: i686: unexpected operator
    [: 31: ==: unexpected operator
    ../configure: 47: Syntax error: Bad fd number

    Cheers

    Ian

  11. Re: Capturing oldvideo tapes

    Ian Thompson-Bell illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Uh good question. Kino as far as I know only does 1394. OTOH Cinelerra
    >>> does USB if I recall correctly.
    >>>
    >>> http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3
    >>>
    >>> I haven't tried it but have a look and let me know what you think.
    >>>

    >> Downloading it now. I'll let you know once I've compiled it. seems there
    >> is no .deb package.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> ian

    > No joy. Running configure gives the following:
    >
    > ./configure: 11: arch: not found
    > ./configure: 24: arch: not found
    > [: 24: i686: unexpected operator
    > [: 31: ==: unexpected operator
    > ./configure: 47: Syntax error: Bad fd number
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Ian

    They've got a repository
    Follow the instructions here
    http://cvs.cinelerra.org/getting_cinelerra.php#ubuntu

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  12. Re: Capturing oldvideo tapes

    Moog wrote:
    > Ian Thompson-Bell illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Downloading it now. I'll let you know once I've compiled it. seems there
    >>> is no .deb package.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>>
    >>> ian

    >> No joy. Running configure gives the following:
    >>
    >> ./configure: 11: arch: not found
    >> ./configure: 24: arch: not found
    >> [: 24: i686: unexpected operator
    >> [: 31: ==: unexpected operator
    >> ./configure: 47: Syntax error: Bad fd number
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Ian

    > They've got a repository
    > Follow the instructions here
    > http://cvs.cinelerra.org/getting_cinelerra.php#ubuntu

    That's the community version not the original but I'll give it a go.

    Cheers

    ian

  13. Re: Capturing oldvideo tapes

    Ian Thompson-Bell illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > That's the community version not the original but I'll give it a go.
    >
    > Cheers

    No worries.

    You could also try downloading the rpm of the other fork and
    converting it with alien.

    $ man alien
    for more information

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  14. Re: Capturing oldvideo tapes

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 10:54:57 +0100, Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> While we are on the subject my oldish digital camera only has USB. Can I
    >>> extract its video under Linux??
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>>
    >>> Ian

    >> Uh good question. Kino as far as I know only does 1394. OTOH Cinelerra
    >> does USB if I recall correctly.
    >>
    >> http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3
    >>
    >> I haven't tried it but have a look and let me know what you think.
    >>

    > Downloading it now. I'll let you know once I've compiled it. seems there
    > is no .deb package.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > ian

    There is a deb package but you have to add the repository to your apt-get
    directory or you'll get a bunch of broken dependency error messages.

    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    COOSN-266-06-25794

  15. Re: Capturing oldvideo tapes

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 17:14:41 +0100, Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

    > Moog wrote:
    >> Ian Thompson-Bell illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> No joy. Running configure gives the following:
    >>>
    >>> ./configure: 11: arch: not found
    >>> ./configure: 24: arch: not found
    >>> [: 24: i686: unexpected operator
    >>> [: 31: ==: unexpected operator
    >>> ./configure: 47: Syntax error: Bad fd number
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>>
    >>> Ian

    >> They've got a repository
    >> Follow the instructions here
    >> http://cvs.cinelerra.org/getting_cinelerra.php#ubuntu
    >>

    > That's the community version not the original but I'll give it a go.
    >
    > Cheers

    That's the one you have to use. The source wont get past ./configure.
    You need to add the repository

    Oh and also apt-get dvgrab. It's a command line utility that grabs dv from
    a 1394 source. It has a switch for USB.
    I used it last night and it worked perfectly on 1394 but I don't have a
    camera that has a USB tape stream.

    Check out the dvgrab website for the latest version, news and other software:
    http://www.kinodv.org/

+ Reply to Thread