Should I use this old hardware for a Mythbuntu box? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Should I use this old hardware for a Mythbuntu box? - Ubuntu ; I'm probably getting in way over my head. I don't know where it came from, but I suddenly decided that a multimedia pc would be a great thing to give my dad for his birthday, to go along with the ...

  1. Should I use this old hardware for a Mythbuntu box?

    I'm probably getting in way over my head.

    I don't know where it came from, but I suddenly decided that a
    multimedia pc would be a great thing to give my dad for his birthday,
    to go along with the big tv he's buying himself. And I'd find a use
    for some of the old hardware laying around.

    I've got four old MSI motherboards with AMD processors. The boards
    are mini-ATX with on-board video (Savage 3, I think) but also an agp
    slot. Two processors are Duron 1400+ and two are Sempron 2400 (I
    think). I also have an ATI TV Wonder VE pci card. I've also go two
    GeForce 2 cards, an MX and a TI, and either a GeForce 3 or 4 (one of
    those died).

    Can I go with this, or should I buy newer hardware for such a thing?

    I'll see if the Mythbuntu wiki pages explain what it means, but what
    are front ends and back ends?

  2. Re: Should I use this old hardware for a Mythbuntu box?

    a very specific list of hardware. They are helpful.

    On 2008-04-10, Todd wrote:
    > I'm probably getting in way over my head.
    >
    > I don't know where it came from, but I suddenly decided that a
    > multimedia pc would be a great thing to give my dad for his birthday,
    > to go along with the big tv he's buying himself. And I'd find a use
    > for some of the old hardware laying around.
    >
    > I've got four old MSI motherboards with AMD processors. The boards
    > are mini-ATX with on-board video (Savage 3, I think) but also an agp
    > slot. Two processors are Duron 1400+ and two are Sempron 2400 (I
    > think). I also have an ATI TV Wonder VE pci card. I've also go two
    > GeForce 2 cards, an MX and a TI, and either a GeForce 3 or 4 (one of
    > those died).
    >
    > Can I go with this, or should I buy newer hardware for such a thing?
    >
    > I'll see if the Mythbuntu wiki pages explain what it means, but what
    > are front ends and back ends?

  3. Re: Should I use this old hardware for a Mythbuntu box?

    On 2008-04-10, Todd wrote:

    > I'll see if the Mythbuntu wiki pages explain what it means, but what
    > are front ends and back ends?

    A back end does the work. The front end is the GUI.

  4. Re: Should I use this old hardware for a Mythbuntu box?

    "Todd" wrote in message

    > I'll see if the Mythbuntu wiki pages explain what it means, but what
    > are front ends and back ends?

    Back-ends would be the software and hardware that interface to the TV
    signal.
    AIUI you choose a back-end for the type of hardware and signal you want to
    record/etc.

    The front-end is the software you use to view and/or control what happens.
    These are more generic AIUI.

    The front-end(s) and back-end(s) can be on different machines BTW.

    HTH.

+ Reply to Thread